ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiz v. Mavs

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

streetp0et
Rookie
And1: 99

Re: Wiz v. Mavs 

Post#21 » by streetp0et » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:57 am

what's the scouting report on dominic mcguire? the stats he's putting up dont seem to justify playing time, and i rarely ever get to watch them play so i'm asking the people that would know.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#22 » by closg00 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 am

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:
closg00 wrote:Tap is too fricken stupid to put a 7 footer on Dirk, I watched stunned as Dirk continues to shoot over shorter players.

Well, he put Blatche on Dirk and Blatche promptly committed two fouls about four seconds apart. His head was not in the game tonight. I don't know why he does that, to be honest. Someone needs to show him some film, every time he gets close enough to go for a steal he commits a foul. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Just don't bother, dude. You're not a guard, don't go for steals. Don't even think about them. Think about blocked shots and rebounds. That is all you are responsible for. Repeat after me. I am not a guard. I am not a guard. I am a forward/center. My responsibility on defense is to contest shots and get rebounds. I am not a guard. I do not have the foot speed to get steals. I am a forward/center. My responsibility on defense is to contest shots and get rebounds...

when I snap my fingers you will awaken. You will be a legitimate starting power forward in the NBA...

Yeah, I hear ya, but I would rather see Blatche learning on-the-job,and possibly fouling-out than to see Dirk scoring easy buckets over someone too-short to be covering him. McGee was never guarding Dirk.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:25 pm

nate33 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:DeSuck was yanked twice today in favor of DMac. I see that as a major improvement.

That is good news indeed.

I'm ready to see DMac starting at SG instead of Stevenson (or start DMac at SF and Butler at SG, same thing). We've gotten to the point where DMac might honestly be a better shooter than Stevenson. DMac is a better defender and he sure as hell is a better rebounder.

Who cares? I mean, that's like saying TLue is better than Chris Whitney. They're both scrubs. DMac is equally terrible offensively, and really has basically zero offensive skills. It's a - my crap is shinier than yours situation.

I hope the team spends the entire day looking at film of the 4th quarter. If they have any pride, they will - and won't let it happen again.

They looked like a high school lacrosse team playing against an NBA team. I've never seen so many dunks given up in half court sets. I don't think I can stand to watch them anymore.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:28 pm

sashae wrote:Oh Antawn...

"Most of our losses have come down the stretch and not communicating enough or playing team ball," Jamison said. "Once again tonight it was the same scenario."

Antawn Jamison led the Wizards with 22 points -- all in the first three periods -- Butler had 18 and Mike James 17.

At least DeShawn only played 15 minutes.

Jamison was absolutely right.

He was the only one out there who had an excuse - he hurt his bad wrist. His play - at both ends - was the only thing that kept the Wiz in the game for the 1st 3 quarters.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#25 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:DeSuck was yanked twice today in favor of DMac. I see that as a major improvement.

I'm ready to see DMac starting at SG instead of Stevenson (or start DMac at SF and Butler at SG, same thing). We've gotten to the point where DMac might honestly be a better shooter than Stevenson. DMac is a better defender and he sure as hell is a better rebounder.

Who cares? I mean, that's like saying TLue is better than Chris Whitney. They're both scrubs. DMac is equally terrible offensively, and really has basically zero offensive skills. It's a - my crap is shinier than yours situation.

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that DMac was in any way a good offensive player. My only point is that Stevenson sucks so incredibly bad that we may as well put in an equivalently sucky offensive player who at least has the size and athleticism to be more of a factor on defense and on the glass.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#26 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Halcyon wrote:Ugh...glad I didn't tune into this game.

Then you missed 3 quarters of good basketball from the Wiz. We played a very good team very close and we were actually winning when we are a team that is struggling to but it together with less experienced players.

I have had more fun watching the last 2 games then I have the previous 10. Tapps is doing a much better job with line ups and direction.

This team is at least making progress but it can't survive an off night to many players at once and still win. But it least I can now see them winning some games instead of just first quarter blow outs.

James has stepped it up very quickly. He was nailing 3s. There are still a few shots he tries more then once that he doesn't have working for him but he bring lots of energy and maturity. He has already moved past DS as a leader and as a starter. He has replaced AD well and is really an upgrade at that possition. It's actually kind of amazing how quickly he has mixed in and got his game going.

We still have some more progress to make but this team is getting better. I don't think we will be solid until we are able to bring McGee in for Blatche instead of DSong at center but that isn't a knock on DSONG who is playing well.

DMAC is making lots of progress which is awesome to see.

DS is getting less mins which is long over do.

Now we need to see NY show up on a regular basis.

They are getting better which at least makes them fun to watch and makes me feel better about the players we have and the direction Tapps is taking them. I can see progress in his coaching and in some of the players so I'm not down on them for this game and the last one.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#27 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:36 pm

nate33 wrote:

We do seem to be getting closer and are seeing more line ups like

AB, AJ, CB, DMAC, James
AB, AJ, DSAC, CB, James
AB, DSONG, AJ, NY, James
AB, DSONG, CB, NY, James
AB, DSONG, AJ, CB, James

This is why they are looking better.

I'm less and less concerned that James will show up. He is playing very well. DMAC has been moved into the category of a consistent producer. He always bring energy on the D and he is starting to drive and score from the outside. This is awesome to see. Now we just need NY and AB to show up on a regular basis and we will win games.

This team is finally making progress and a key seems to be less minutes for DS. You just can't beat good teams with your starting SG sucking and playing 35 mins.
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#28 » by cwb3 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:36 pm

hands11 is right in that we have at least appeared more competative in the last few games. But in each case we have faded in the 4th quarter. There are elements that seem to be progressing, i.e. Blatche, and now Mike James, but all that seems to be window dressing since we still are losing with Butler and Jamison playing 40+ minutes and not getting it done on defense.

I can't imagine bringing myself to actually watch us against Cleveland on X-Mas day. . .the other 3 matchups that day look pretty good. . .but man, us against the Cavs on X-Mas has ugly written all over it. (Much like yesterdays local football game)
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:16 pm

nate33 wrote:Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that DMac was in any way a good offensive player. My only point is that Stevenson sucks so incredibly bad that we may as well put in an equivalently sucky offensive player who at least has the size and athleticism to be more of a factor on defense and on the glass.

You're right. I'm just getting frustrated with the poor play of the whole team - the young guys very much included. If just one of the kids would step up and shine, it'd give me a reason to keep watching.

Return to Washington Wizards