ImageImageImageImageImage

Anybody on here who was nice in High School or a Rec League?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Re: Anybody on here who was nice in High School or a Rec League? 

Post#21 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:14 am

I'm 6'1 but I have a huge wingspan and good hops. I did have a game where I scored 16, 11 boards, 5 blocks and 6 assists.

I have a prototypical SG's game. I'm pretty quick. I can shoot; I can create my own shot off the dribble; and I can handle well enough to play PG (though I don't have a pass-first mentality or spectacular court vision). I also have a high basketball IQ and very good ball-hawking skills, so I get a lot of steals via help defense.

Looks to me like we have enough talent on this forum for a full 5 man squad who (if called upon) could replace the Wizard's current starting 5.

The Wizards current lineup is not getting the job done so I do not see any reason why the fans should be held back from stepping up and trying to defend the franchise name.

Like I said before...

DRASTIC situations (4-21) call for DRASTIC measures.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#22 » by lupin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:03 pm

mhd wrote:
Ah an ERHS alum. I played ball with Eddie Basden in Gym (aka "Team Sports").

mhd, are you an ERHS alum too? I am. I think I might even be in nate's class, but we didn't know each other. the closest i got to the basketball court besides PE, was through my friend Damon Tweedy who I think may have made it to team captain (and was also like the runner up, GPA-wise, for the Valedictorian). ah, memories. i try to forget them.

:wink:
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,348

Post#23 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:03 pm

lupin, I was class of 90. Weren't you class of 94?
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#24 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:13 pm

I played PG at Frederick High in the 80s. Started my first three years and came off the bench the last year. I am only 5'9 but I was pretty darn quick and could get to the basket with ease. I also had pretty good playmaking ability. I averaged close to 10 points per game and about 8 assists. After HS, I played in various intrumural leagues through college and law school. After law school, I took up residence in Alexandria and played in the Alexandria City League for a couple years and then in the D.C. YMCA league. Our team lost in the Alexandria City Championship game two years in a row, but we didn't do much in the D.C. YMCA league.

Eventually, I stopped playing rec ball because of various injuries, including a broken leg. For the last 10 years, I have played pick-up ball at St. Ann's Academy in Tenleytown. At 41, I'm not near as quick as I used to be, but my jump shot is way better than it has ever been. I'm not much of a long distance bomber, but anything within the three point line is pretty much money if I am left open.

Last year, I took over running the pick-up games at St. Ann's and have the keys to the gym. Lately, we have been having a little trouble getting numbers for games. If anyone is interested in playing, let me know. We play at 8:00 at Tuesday nights.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#25 » by fishercob » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Bobby D, I wonder if we've met. I live basically around the corner from St. Anne's. I used to play there on Tuesday night I think, but the games got too unfriendly for my liking and I basically retired. Maybe I should dust off the high-tops....
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#26 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:43 pm

fishercob wrote:Bobby D, I wonder if we've met. I live basically around the corner from St. Anne's. I used to play there on Tuesday night I think, but the games got too unfriendly for my liking and I basically retired. Maybe I should dust off the high-tops....

If you played on Tuesday nights, you would have likely met me since I am there pretty consistently. How long ago did you play? I would kind of be surprised if you played with my group since we are pretty much a friendly group. We have the occassional spat as in any game, but overall its a bunch of good guys that play and some quality players.

If you are interested in dusting off those high-tops, let me know your email address and I'll add you to my list. Every Monday, I usually send out an email to see how many people are playing. If I don't get at least 8 confirmed, I normally cancel.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#27 » by fishercob » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:07 pm

I haven't played in about three years. I played on and off from fall of '03 to winter of '06, or thereabouts. The group that I started off playing with was fine, but more and more young guys with something to prove started showing up and talking smack to people they hadn't met before, and it just wasn't how I wanted to spend my Tuesday nights.

Did you play with the group that had a couple guys named Brett and Raul -- or the group afterwards with Matt and Jared?
— Steve Martin
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#28 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:40 pm

dusting off those high-tops

If this season (4-21) continues to go down it's present path, ALL of us may be forced to dust off the high tops and step on the court to defend the franchise's honor.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#29 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:10 pm

fishercob wrote:I haven't played in about three years. I played on and off from fall of '03 to winter of '06, or thereabouts. The group that I started off playing with was fine, but more and more young guys with something to prove started showing up and talking smack to people they hadn't met before, and it just wasn't how I wanted to spend my Tuesday nights.

Did you play with the group that had a couple guys named Brett and Raul -- or the group afterwards with Matt and Jared?

Ha! Mystery solved. I'm Brett! I started playing with Raul and the older guys, but all of them have stopped playing or moved away except for Erv, who still plays. Right now, it just the vets like me and Irv and the young guys. Matt still plays but Jared very seldom comes around. This summer, we lost a lot of guys and were having a hard time getting numbers so I basically took control and recruited a bunch of new players. They are pretty decent guys...not much smack talking anymore. If you were ok with playing with me, you probably would be ok with them.

What is your first name. I'll probably remember ya.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#30 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 pm

When I was in HS I was one of the last cuts for basketball.

At 5'8" I didn't have the size to be anything but a PG. Too bad I wasn't wise enough back then to practice on ball handling enough to contribute, or else I suspect I would have been decent.

Used to have good hops back then. I actually goaltended a couple times in pick up games.

I remember in pick up games routinely destroying the kid who was the starting varsity PG. Looking back, that kid had knowledge of the game and handles whereas I just had some physical ability and no real disciplined approach.

Looking back, nate, I was the anti-you. I couldn't dribble or shoot real well. I could defend real well, though. Typical football player playing basketball. I was ... physical.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#31 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:06 am

dandridge 10 wrote:
fishercob wrote:I haven't played in about three years. I played on and off from fall of '03 to winter of '06, or thereabouts. The group that I started off playing with was fine, but more and more young guys with something to prove started showing up and talking smack to people they hadn't met before, and it just wasn't how I wanted to spend my Tuesday nights.

Ha! Mystery solved. I'm Brett! I started playing with Raul and the older guys, but all of them have stopped playing or moved away except for Erv, who still plays. Right now, it just the vets like me and Irv and the young guys. Matt still plays but Jared very seldom comes around. This summer, we lost a lot of guys and were having a hard time getting numbers so I basically took control and recruited a bunch of new players. They are pretty decent guys...not much smack talking anymore. If you were ok with playing with me, you probably would be ok with them.

That's hilarious. I'm Ben -- definitely chased you around a few times. That jumper of yours is automatic -- especially from the short corner. Matt may be a great guy off the court, but I never much enjoyed playing with him. I like Jared a lot. I think he plays with a number of those other guys (Adam, Glenn) at Westland on Mass on Wednesday nights. That game's too late for me though. If I play at 9, i'll be wired past midnight and I;m an early riser.

I'm woefully out of shape and probably couldn't hit the board side of a barn these days, but I'll definitely come out at some point in the new year. How are you old enough to remember Bobby D? I'd have guessed you were early 30's....
— Steve Martin
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#32 » by keynote » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:46 am

I played high school ball (Takoma Academy, '91) for a season, as a severely-undersized PF/C (6'2", ~180 lbs). I grew an extra inch in college, and by the time I finished grad school, I had developed a fairly nice finesse-oriented post game: a deadly spin-move/turnaround fade away, and a McHale-esque up-and-under. I was a solid shooter to about 18-20 feet, and I could get hot. And, as a lefty, I had a natural advantage with my first step going left.

In terms of famous match-ups, when I was 15, I was abused by slightly buzzed David Wingate on an outdoor court in Columbia, MD (I think I've mentioned this story here before). In grad school (I went to Michigan), I played against Jerrod Ward (6'9" all-everything in HS; he went to UM and never panned out) and David "D-Bo" Bowens (now a LB for the Jets--and an unnecessarily mean dude. I saw him smack the !@#$ out of some poor grad-student for clumsily fouling him too much during pick-up). I also played against Rob "Chickenhawk of Prey" Pelinka, who was a 3L in law school when I was a 1L. He was a good shooter, but he *extremely* soft and diva-like on the court, if you ask me (he'd pout and complain if you played him physical, which I did).

Ten years and ~30 lbs later, I'm now a first-year player/coach of a church league team in the New York City area. We got killed in our first game, but we were missing our starting PG, our backup PG, and our starting SF due to scheduling conflicts, so I'm trying to keep it in perspective. I'm dealing with the learning curve (it's a lot easier to criticize Eddie's mistakes than it is to do it right yourself), but overall I'm having a great time.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#33 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:59 am

fishercob wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:

That's hilarious. I'm Ben -- definitely chased you around a few times. That jumper of yours is automatic -- especially from the short corner. Matt may be a great guy off the court, but I never much enjoyed playing with him. I like Jared a lot. I think he plays with a number of those other guys (Adam, Glenn) at Westland on Mass on Wednesday nights. That game's too late for me though. If I play at 9, i'll be wired past midnight and I;m an early riser.

I'm woefully out of shape and probably couldn't hit the board side of a barn these days, but I'll definitely come out at some point in the new year. How are you old enough to remember Bobby D? I'd have guessed you were early 30's....

Hey Ben. I do remember you! Small world I guess. I thought I was the only Wiz fan that played at St. Ann's.

I can understand how Matt may have got on your nerves but he seems to have mellowed a bit over the last couple of years. The rest of the guys are more laid back like me (at least I think I'm relatively laid back!) Jared still swings by every now and then and yes, he's a class act.

Most people figure I am in my 30s, but I'm actually 41. I was lucky to inherit my mom's youngish looks. I started watching the Bullets when I was 10, during the championship year. Bobby D is my all-time favorite Bullets/Wizards player.

Anyway, I hope you stop by again and play. We play pretty much every Tuesday night starting at 8:00. I also have season tickets to the Wizards. Although my wife goes to many of the games with me, there are times when she can't go. I'll give you a heads up when she can't go and I'll take you to a game. My treat...I'd just like to go with another fan.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#34 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:41 pm

keynote wrote:I played high school ball (Takoma Academy, '91) for a season, as a severely-undersized PF/C (6'2", ~180 lbs). I grew an extra inch in college, and by the time I finished grad school, I had developed a fairly nice finesse-oriented post game: a deadly spin-move/turnaround fade away, and a McHale-esque up-and-under. I was a solid shooter to about 18-20 feet, and I could get hot. And, as a lefty, I had a natural advantage with my first step going left.

keynote, you just made my day (and that's something considering I went to Ohio State for grad school). One of my biggest pet peeves is when know-nothing ESPN-types misuse the term "up and under," often applying it to when a player takes off from the baseline on one side of the rim and does a reverse layup with english from the other side.

But the McHale up and under -- the real up and under -- is the best post move ever. I loved teaching it to the girls I coached back in my coaching days.
— Steve Martin
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#35 » by lupin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:45 pm

nate33 wrote:lupin, I was class of 90. Weren't you class of 94?

------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#36 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:46 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:Hey Ben. I do remember you! Small world I guess. I thought I was the only Wiz fan that played at St. Ann's.

I can understand how Matt may have got on your nerves but he seems to have mellowed a bit over the last couple of years. The rest of the guys are more laid back like me (at least I think I'm relatively laid back!) Jared still swings by every now and then and yes, he's a class act.

Most people figure I am in my 30s, but I'm actually 41. I was lucky to inherit my mom's youngish looks. I started watching the Bullets when I was 10, during the championship year. Bobby D is my all-time favorite Bullets/Wizards player.

Anyway, I hope you stop by again and play. We play pretty much every Tuesday night starting at 8:00. I also have season tickets to the Wizards. Although my wife goes to many of the games with me, there are times when she can't go. I'll give you a heads up when she can't go and I'll take you to a game. My treat...I'd just like to go with another fan.

You're 41? That's even more depressing. I'm 32 and couldn't keep up with you 3 years ago. But, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'll back out soon. Are you guys playing next week, or not again until the 6th?

I'd love to join you for a game. I go to a decent number myself, but love to sit with true fans. I sent JRo my email address to send to you. Not sure if he still has hid mod powers, but it wouldnt let me PM Rico or Miller. Look forward to catching up.
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,348

Post#37 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:12 pm

fishercob wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:Hey Ben. I do remember you! Small world I guess. I thought I was the only Wiz fan that played at St. Ann's.

You're 41? That's even more depressing. I'm 32 and couldn't keep up with you 3 years ago. But, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'll back out soon. Are you guys playing next week, or not again until the 6th?

I'd love to join you for a game. I go to a decent number myself, but love to sit with true fans. I sent JRo my email address to send to you. Not sure if he still has hid mod powers, but it wouldnt let me PM Rico or Miller. Look forward to catching up.

PM it to me. I'll forward it to Brent... er, dandridge10.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#38 » by keynote » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:18 pm

For the folks in the NYC area: I'd like to get in some more court time this winter. Anyone here on the list know about an under-the-radar place to play indoor pick-up games? I know about the large, expensive places like Chelsea Piers, etc; I'm just looking for some cheaper alternatives.

And fishercob: the up-and-under should be a staple in any post player's arsenal; agreed. That move can be effective even against the most seasoned defenders, especially if paired with a solid jump hook and/or turnaround.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#39 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:09 pm

nate33 wrote:PM it to me. I'll forward it to Brent... er, dandridge10.

RealGM won't let me PM, even to mods.
— Steve Martin
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#40 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:55 pm

fishercob wrote:

Anyway, I hope you stop by again and play. We play pretty much every Tuesday night starting at 8:00. I also have season tickets to the Wizards. Although my wife goes to many of the games with me, there are times when she can't go. I'll give you a heads up when she can't go and I'll take you to a game. My treat...I'd just like to go with another fan.[/quote

They are finishing the floors at St. Ann's through the holidays so we will not start back up until the 6th. Try to make it out and we'll exchange info. I'll give you heads up the next time my wife can't go to a game and maybe you can go. My seats are great...section 111, Row N (smack dab in the center of the court, halfway up the lower level).

Well, I was 38 the last time we played...you will probably notice I've slowed up a bit since then. Once you turn 40, it really starts going downhill quick!

Return to Washington Wizards