ImageImageImageImageImage

Anybody on here who was nice in High School or a Rec League?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Anybody on here who was nice in High School or a Rec League? 

Post#1 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:28 am

Anybody on here who was a nice basketball player back in High School?

Anybody on here who was an above average basketball player on a local Rec League Team within the past few years?

The WIZARD'S ship is sinking fast.

Only Oklahoma City has a worse record right now.

Now normally I would not give a damn either way about the WIZARDS (BULLETS 4 LIFE!) but I was born and raised in this town and I have too much pride to sit back and watch my city's professional basketball team end up having the worst record in the entire league.

I WILL NOT allow for my city's professional basketball team to finish behind the Oklahoma City Thunder!

NO WAY IN HELL will I allow my city's professional basketball team to finish behind a team which has been in the league for less than 1 year!

I know there has to be some very talented current and former basketball players on here.

Someone who we could all nominate to step up and help out the team.

Perhaps we could call it the 2008-2009 REAL GM MESSAGE BOARD WASHINGTON WIZARDS FORUM MEMBERS EMERGENCY DRAFT?

I will be monitoring the NBA standings and this situation very closely so please reply with your comments, thoughts and suggestions.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Re: Anybody on here who was nice in High School or a Rec League? 

Post#2 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 am

For the entire 1990s decade basketball was my entire life.
I played basketball in some form or fashion almost every single day of the calendar year.

I have (or should I say "I had") one hell of an outside shot.
Anywhere inside of half court was in my range.
On a daily basis, I was good for at least 95 out of 100 attempts several feet behind the NBA 3 point line.

People used to always comment on how I was a perfect spot up shooter candidate for an NBA team if given the opportunity to try out.

But that was then and this is now.

Recently, I have played basketball only 3 times in the past 5 years (once in 2003, once in 2005 and once in 2007) but I would be willing to throw on a WIZARDS uniform and play if called upon.

^ Hopefully it will not have to come to this though.

I am positive there has to be somebody who posts on here who is more qualified than I am.

Somebody who plays basketball on a consistent basis and has played more recently than I have.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:58 am

Hey MILLER31TIME...

Would YOU be willing to step up and help out the team if called upon?

Your services may be needed over on F STREET NW in the not so distant future so I hope YOU are READY.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm

I used to have a great outside shot (southpaw), although probably not NBA range. And if you crowded me I had a vicious two-dribble-and-pull-up move that was money. But that was 10 years and 90 pounds ago. LOL Now I'm more of an Oliver Miller type - just a role player who leans on the other team's big man and grab rebounds flat footed. Not sure I'd be much help. LOL
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#5 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Lol. I loved to play basketball, but yeah. I sucked. That's what's great about basketball actually is you can suck donkey balls and still have lots of fun playing it.

I was strong and if I could get within 5 feet of the basket I could get it in, I had sort of a Mark Jackson/Antawn Jamison sort of thing going on if I got close enough. And I had an old school lefty hook shot. And I played really smart team defense. And I was in terrific shape and could run people into the ground and got a couple baskets at the end of games that way.

But I played on an intramural team in grad school and for the first time tried to run plays and an offense and stuff and god did I suck. I mean really really suck. Had no idea what I was doing out there. Kinda sad really.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:43 pm

And if you crowded me I had a vicious two-dribble-and-pull-up move that was money.

^ With a little practice I am sure you could bring it back.

I am being 100% serious here.

Perhaps instead of just 1 player we could nominate an entire 5 man squad from out of members of this forum?

What is the worst thing that can happen?

The worst thing that can happen is that we might LOSE.

^ The current Wizard's 2008-2009 roster already has that covered.

Change is desperately needed.

DRASTIC situations (4-21) call for DRASTIC measures.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:51 pm

But I played on an intramural team in grad school and for the first time tried to run plays and an offense and stuff and god did I suck. I mean really really suck. Had no idea what I was doing out there. Kinda sad really.

Well at least you are being honest.

But we still might be able to use your services either as a coach or as an agent to negotiate our 10 day contracts. :D
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#8 » by BigA » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm only 5 years older than Mutumbo. I'd break everyone's ankles with my cross, but I don't want that kind of carnage on my conscience.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:27 pm

I'm only 5 years older than Mutumbo. I'd break everyone's ankles with my cross, but I don't want that kind of carnage on my conscience.

Hey we are all on the same side here. :D

Back in 1997 I vowed to myself that I would NEVER EVER buy or wear anything that has the word WIZARDS written on it and to this day I never have but even I am willing to make some sacrifices given the current situation.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#10 » by Dat2U » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:17 pm

I used to be pretty good. Good enough to get abused repeatedly by Bobby Sura in a pick up game about 10 years ago. On the other hand i destroyed this dude named Kerry Thompson, who back in '96-'97 was Florida State's starting PG.

I used to be money from about 20 ft and in but would love to bury 30 footers in people's faces occassionally. I was your prototypical SG by Wizardynasty's standards. While I only stood 6-3, I had great length and wingspan and was a superior shot-blocker for my size. I had an ugly but effective crossover and while no one would ever confuse me with Chris Paul, I almost never turned the ball over. I was also an excellent passer with a high b-ball IQ. Played intramural throughout college but never really cared to do more. Was skinny as hell when I was younger and didn't care much for physical contact. Was asked on numerous occassions to try to walk on for VSU (CIAA - Division II) but I preferred to get high. On another note, some of you might find stunning, I wrote for the school paper there and my extremely harsh commentaries for the paper actually led to the coach there getting fired.

Also, athough I haven't played much the last few years, I'm confident I'd have a higher eFG than DeShawn Stevenson.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Didnt VSU students have their own radio show every Saturady nights called the "SOUL CLAP" back in the 1990s?

I used to always listen to that show when ever I was down in the Richmond/Tri Cities area.

That program alone was by far superior to any urban commercial radio station in the central Virginia area.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#12 » by fishercob » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 pm

I had the good fortune of studying abroad in South Africa in 1996. Basketball was very popular, but was not widely played yet. Because I knew the sport well and could shoot, I made the college's basketball team. I'm not under any illusion that I was ever any good by American standards, but I did have a couple of personal highlights (twice making five 3's in games) that I'll always remember.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#13 » by BigA » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:47 pm

Dat2U wrote:<snip>I was your prototypical SG by Wizardynasty's standards.<snip>

Therefore...bowlegged?
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#14 » by Dat2U » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:Didnt VSU students have their own radio show every Saturady nights called the "SOUL CLAP" back in the 1990s?

I used to always listen to that show when ever I was down in the Richmond/Tri Cities area.

That program alone was by far superior to any urban commercial radio station in the central Virginia area.

I should know the name. It may have been "Soul Clap" but I can't remember, but compared to what else was available in central VA, VSU's radio station definitely offered some nice alternatives.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:33 pm

(twice making five 3's in games)

The Wizards could definitely use your help.

Especially in late 4th quarter situations.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:37 pm

I should know the name. It may have been "Soul Clap" but I can't remember, but compared to what else was available in central VA, VSU's radio station definitely offered some nice alternatives.

I still have some cassette tapes on which I recorded portions of that radio program on back in the mid 1990s.
If I ever find them I will e mail them to you.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#17 » by Dat2U » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:44 pm

BigA wrote:
Dat2U wrote:<snip>I was your prototypical SG by Wizardynasty's standards.<snip>

Therefore...bowlegged?

LOL, well maybe I'm not he prototypical SG then. I do have the wingspan of a condor though. :lol:
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:21 am

I played SF on my high schools JV team freshmen and sophomore year. Then I quit because I was too lazy to move onto varsity + our coach was a dick and I didn't feel like investing my time for a douche. I'm 6'1 but I have a huge wingspan and good hops. I did have a game where I scored 16, 11 boards, 5 blocks and 6 assists.

The only thing that held me back was weight. I wasn't fast enough to play guard and I wasn't big enough to contribute as a forward
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#19 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:31 am

I have a prototypical SG's game. I'm pretty quick. I can shoot; I can create my own shot off the dribble; and I can handle well enough to play PG (though I don't have a pass-first mentality or spectacular court vision). I also have a high basketball IQ and very good ball-hawking skills, so I get a lot of steals via help defense. I'm only so-so as a man defender though. Basically, my game is a lot like Juan Dixon's.

My problem is that I'm 5-9.

I went to Eleanor Roosevelt H.S. in PG County. In a school of 2600 kids, I wasn't quite good enough to make the team. I'm now a weekend warrior on my YMCA over-30 league. By default, I play PG and I'm getting better at it.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#20 » by mhd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:11 am

nate33 wrote:I have a prototypical SG's game. I'm pretty quick. I can shoot; I can create my own shot off the dribble; and I can handle well enough to play PG (though I don't have a pass-first mentality or spectacular court vision). I also have a high basketball IQ and very good ball-hawking skills, so I get a lot of steals via help defense. I'm only so-so as a man defender though. Basically, my game is a lot like Juan Dixon's.

My problem is that I'm 5-9.

I went to Eleanor Roosevelt H.S. in PG County. In a school of 2600 kids, I wasn't quite good enough to make the team. I'm now a weekend warrior on my YMCA over-30 league. By default, I play PG and I'm getting better at it.

Ah an ERHS alum. I played ball with Eddie Basden in Gym (aka "Team Sports").

Return to Washington Wizards