end of quarter 1/30 Wash at Phil game thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ced67
Senior
And1: 0

Re: end of quarter 1/30 Wash at Phil game thread 

Post#41 » by Ced67 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:32 am

dandridge 10 wrote:
ryst wrote:you guys have some good young players , i like Crit a lot , i wish the sixers could have him together with his Goergia Tech friend Thad Young , those two would be great to watch together.

i dont understand why Stevenson getting so many minutes while Nick Young his staying on the bench but i guess you guys know more about it then i do.

I'd play NY more just because he is younger and needs the experience, but at the same time, NY is not exactly earning his minutes. Except for a three game stretch when he was pretty hot, NY has pretty much sucked this year, and tonight was no difference. The problem with NY is not necessarily his raw skill, it's that he has the basketball IQ of a doorknob.

I personally tend to agree with that sentiment. I do believe that the younger guys should be getting more minutes and I have really liked both Critt and McGuire because of there versatility, they are both decent defenders who are pretty good passers and can do more things other than scoring. I've felt for some time that if each of these guys can work on their mid to long range shots that they can be at least decent rotation players when the entire squad is back healthy. I have not felt this way about NY though. To me he seems like a one trick pony and when his shot is off, he doesn't do much else to help the team. He's really not a catch and shoot type of player and really only excels at his turn around fade away jumpshot when he's hot. Even when he was on that hot streak all he did was shoot, no rebounds and no assists. Id personally rather see Critt and DMac get more minutes because of there all around games and I really don't mind that NY isn't getting big minutes if his shot isn't on. And its probably just me, but I'm kind of getting tired of seeing him throwing his hands up in the air crying every time he misses a shot. Its professionalism man.
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#42 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:41 am

I still don't understand this notion of Young having to earn his minutes.

You have Mike James and DeShawn Stevenson who suck a billion times more than him, are a billion times more irrelevant in the grand scheme of things to this franchise and are completely and absolutely useless on the court. What exactly have these chumps done to warrant minutes besides sucking horribly whenever given a chance. Stevenson is what Michael Ruffin would be if he was a guard. Just an awful basketball player.

So you have a younger player who "sucks" and you have a bunch of vets who've proven nothing but to be the armpit of the NBA. Wait, let me see, who deserves the minutes? I would understand this notion if heck we even had a player of Roger Masons caliber. Yeah sure Nick has to earn his minutes. But the players ahead of him right now are awful. On such an awful team with such awful guards there is no reason for him to earn anything. If anything we need to bank on him tapping his potential so we can have a two guard who doesn't stink more than two month old garbage.
Ced67
Senior

Post#43 » by Ced67 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:55 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:I still don't understand this notion of Young having to earn his minutes.

You have Mike James and DeShawn Stevenson who suck a billion times more than him, are a billion times more irrelevant in the grand scheme of things to this franchise and are completely and absolutely useless on the court. What exactly have these chumps done to warrant minutes besides sucking horribly whenever given a chance. Stevenson is what Michael Ruffin would be if he was a guard. Just an awful basketball player.

So you have a younger player who "sucks" and you have a bunch of vets who've proven nothing but to be the armpit of the NBA. Wait, let me see, who deserves the minutes? I would understand this notion if heck we even had a player of Roger Masons caliber. Yeah sure Nick has to earn his minutes. But the players ahead of him right now are awful. On such an awful team with such awful guards there is no reason for him to earn anything. If anything we need to bank on him tapping his potential so we can have a two guard who doesn't stink more than two month old garbage.

I understand that, but the one thing I'll say is that at least DeShawn and James come down the court and try to get into the offense. Not I will admit, Mike James has his fair share of "jack ups" but unfortunately he's one of the few "PG's" on the roster. It seems to me that every time he gets the ball he tries to go 1 on 1, he starts up over dribbling and ends up taking a turn around fade a way jumper that isn't in the flow of the offense at all, he keeps doing it, maybe I'm exaggerating by saying every time but it does happen a lot. If he continues to take these kind of shots without changing, why continue to play him. I understand you want to get him minutes but you still want to play solid basketball too, and at least try to execute a set.
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#44 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:51 am

Flow of offense??? What offense?!? We aint got one.
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by lupin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 am

I see from the box that Pech got 25 whopping seconds of play. I think the first 15 seconds were enough to prove he was a bust out there. I don't know why ETap felt like playing him the extra 10 seconds.

:roll:
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:08 pm

nate33 wrote:I no longer make much effort to watch Wizards games. It's nice to see that Crittenton played well. So far this season, he has shown absolutely nothing to lead me to believe he'll ever be a decent player. Hopefully, he can prove me wrong over the second half of the season.

Even his defense? He's the only Wiz guard who gets through screens, he stays in front of quick PGs, and he's got great size for a PG. Remember how Stuckey looked through much of his rookie year. I think Stuckey will always be ahead of Crit, but Crit is just on a slower path to being that same type of player, imo. the talent is there, imo. But the thing I saw when I first saw him at GaTech - he needs time - he's very raw - but he's very determined to get better.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#47 » by DCZards » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:I no longer make much effort to watch Wizards games. It's nice to see that Crittenton played well. So far this season, he has shown absolutely nothing to lead me to believe he'll ever be a decent player. Hopefully, he can prove me wrong over the second half of the season.

Even his defense? He's the only Wiz guard who gets through screens, he stays in front of quick PGs, and he's got great size for a PG. Remember how Stuckey looked through much of his rookie year. I think Stuckey will always be ahead of Crit, but Crit is just on a slower path to being that same type of player, imo. the talent is there, imo. But the thing I saw when I first saw him at GaTech - he needs time - he's very raw - but he's very determined to get better.

The trade for JCritt will turn out to be one of EG's best moves. He's got size, a good handle, plays solid D and loves to attack the basket. All he really lacks is playing experience. On top of that, he's trying to learn/play one of the toughest positions in sports. Assuming he has the work ethic, JCritt will be a very good player in 2-3 years.
STChaser
Starter

Post#48 » by STChaser » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:55 pm

What was up with Nick Young getting no playing time last night. Is Critterton getting all his minutes? Last time you played my team (Sixers), he was really effective. Last night, he was a no-show.

STChaser
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#49 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:56 pm

STChaser wrote:What was up with Nick Young getting no playing time last night. Is Critterton getting all his minutes? Last time you played my team (Sixers), he was really effective. Last night, he was a no-show.

STChaser

Young's minutes went to DeShawn Stevenson who returned to the lineup; sadly it doesn't make much sense.

Return to Washington Wizards