Chaos Revenant wrote:Blatche could start for

Clippers (since Camby's hurt)
Warriors
Thunder
Rockets
Bulls
Maybe the Nets
Maybe the Knicks
Bucks (since Bogut's out but he could beat out Charlie V)
Minnesota

This post is the definition of people overvalueing talent on this team. As for Blatche:

Clippers: He might be able to start right now, but its because Camby, Randolph and Kaman are all hurt, he'd be the 4th best big man on that team. Actually 5th behind Deandre Jordan. So even though he might start right now, thats not saying much, and there could be someone else, Im not looking at the roster.

I said "since Camby's hurt" but Blatche is the 3rd best big on that team, it's not even close. And for what it's worth, Blatche's PER is almost identical to Kaman's.

Warriors: He's not starting over Biedrins and Nelson wouldn't start him at the 4 because he would slow them down, he also can't hit the 3 so the only spot he can play is the 5 and Biedrins, like Lee and Collison shows more effort, are better rebounders and know their limitations.

Blatche is not a lumbering C; he may not be the best runner but the other skills he brings will allow him to at least compete for a starting spot.

Thunder: I think they're content with Jeff Green at the 4 because it allows Durant to guard 3's, he might be able to start over Collison but Collison is going to give you a consistent 9 and 9 every night.

Blatche is better at just about everything than Collison

Rockets: No way he starts over Scola, he gives you energy and effort, and even if Scola where hurt, Carl Landry would start over Blatche because of defense and effort and consistency, not really Blatche's strengths. Being that they'd be complimenting Yao, thats what they need.

Fair enough; though I'd take Blatche over either of them.

Bulls: He could start for the Bulls but I think athletically Tyrus Thomas is a better option, but they really dont have much at the 5 beyond Noah, so thats a possibility.

[b]
You'd rather have a 6'7 undesized and underweight PF in a SF's body than Blatche. Right.
Thomas is a slightly better rebounder, but a much worse shooter.
[/b]

Nets: Not at the 5 because Lopez is killing it right now and even Ryan Anderson would be a better option at the 4, he's playing pretty well right now. He's also a rookie.

Wow do you have something against Blatche?

Knicks:

He's not starting over Lee at the 5 and Harrington is the perfect fit at the 4. Plus Blatche would slow them down and he can't hit a consistent 3. With that said Lee can only play the 5 in that offense and would easily beat out Blatche because he can actually rebound and he shows effort.

I'll give you that.

Bucks:

Maybe at the 5 because Boguts out but he's not beating out Charlie V. I personally don't like Charlie V but he is a lot more athletic and if you're going to have a soft bigman I'd rather have one that's athletic and can execute finesse moves. There's nothing worse than an unathletic, soft big man in my opinion. Because he can't play to his strengths.

Uh...but Blatche is more productive, and V is way less consistent.

Minnesota: At this point I think I would take Kevin Love as the compliment to Al Jefferson mainly because Jefferson will be the one with the ball most of the time in the post. Kevin Love is a better rebounder, gives more effort and has better range on his shot and he can also pass pretty well, so Blatche doesn't get a huge edge there. Love is also a rookie showing more than a 4th year Blatche so his upside is a lot higher.

Blatche is 21 and still hasn't fulfilled his physical potential; Love is actually older than him. Blatche is at least as good a defender as Love (most likely better). And Love's size imo makes him a bad compliment to Jefferson (two 6'9 post players is bad news).

To end it, this is what Im talking about when I say people highly overvalue the talent on this team. You got to look at it objectively and actually compare it with other teams talent.

I would say you're undervaluing the talent on this team, at least in regards to Blatche. In terms of numbers, Blatche is top 20 at his position, is putting up great per/36 (16/8/4/2/2 basically), numbers, and is a good individual defender. And he's 21.

I noticed you use "effort" in many of your justifications...I take it you supported playing Etan Thomas over Brendan Haywood? (btw love Blatche's 8.3 on/off average)
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Nets/Wiz Gamethread 

Post#102 » by miller31time » Fri Feb 6, 2009 9:53 pm

Ced67 wrote:This post is the definition of people overvalueing talent on this team. As for Blatche:

Clippers: He might be able to start right now, but its because Camby, Randolph and Kaman are all hurt, he'd be the 4th best big man on that team. Actually 5th behind Deandre Jordan. So even though he might start right now, thats not saying much, and there could be someone else, Im not looking at the roster.
Warriors: He's not starting over Biedrins and Nelson wouldn't start him at the 4 because he would slow them down, he also can't hit the 3 so the only spot he can play is the 5 and Biedrins, like Lee and Collison shows more effort, are better rebounders and know their limitations.
Thunder: I think they're content with Jeff Green at the 4 because it allows Durant to guard 3's, he might be able to start over Collison but Collison is going to give you a consistent 9 and 9 every night.
Rockets: No way he starts over Scola, he gives you energy and effort, and even if Scola where hurt, Carl Landry would start over Blatche because of defense and effort and consistency, not really Blatche's strengths. Being that they'd be complimenting Yao, thats what they need.
Bulls: He could start for the Bulls but I think athletically Tyrus Thomas is a better option, but they really dont have much at the 5 beyond Noah, so thats a possibility.
Nets: Not at the 5 because Lopez is killing it right now and even Ryan Anderson would be a better option at the 4, he's playing pretty well right now. He's also a rookie.
Knicks: He's not starting over Lee at the 5 and Harrington is the perfect fit at the 4. Plus Blatche would slow them down and he can't hit a consistent 3. With that said Lee can only play the 5 in that offense and would easily beat out Blatche because he can actually rebound and he shows effort.
Bucks: Maybe at the 5 because Boguts out but he's not beating out Charlie V. I personally don't like Charlie V but he is a lot more athletic and if you're going to have a soft bigman I'd rather have one that's athletic and can execute finesse moves. There's nothing worse than an unathletic, soft big man in my opinion. Because he can't play to his strengths.
Minnesota: At this point I think I would take Kevin Love as the compliment to Al Jefferson mainly because Jefferson will be the one with the ball most of the time in the post. Kevin Love is a better rebounder, gives more effort and has better range on his shot and he can also pass pretty well, so Blatche doesn't get a huge edge there. Love is also a rookie showing more than a 4th year Blatche so his upside is a lot higher.

You're undervaluing Blatche as much as you say others overvalue him.

He would definitely start on the Bucks (Charlie V. is possibly the worst defender in the league and a streaky offensive player). He would definitely start on the Nets (Ryan Anderson? Really?). He would definitely start for the Bulls.

He has a strong possibility of starting for the Warriors next to Biedrins.

You're right about Minnesota, New York, Houston and the Clippers, though.

Return to Washington Wizards