Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,324

Re: Denver @ Washington (2/6) 

Post#81 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:01 am

keynote wrote:Jamison's comments, courtesy of Ivan:

"It was embarrassing," Antawn Jamison said. "It's embarrassing to play at home and get booed by your fans. Time after time. The coaches are doing a great job telling us what to expect, what we need to do and certain guys don't take it the way they need to take it. For me, it's getting frustrating. To not protect the paint, not protect your teammates. On one end of the floor, you're a superstar but when it comes to competing and doing the things that take to win, you don't sacrifice for the team. That's frustrating.

More Jamison: "Honestly, I thought some of my guys were scared to be out there playing tonight. What are you supposed to do?"

QFT. I know that Jamison is a terrible defender, but it's not for lack of trying. But the youngsters looked confused and/or lax out there.

I am concerned about our coaching staff's ability to develop young talent. From a fan's perspective, our youngsters range in dedication and work ethic from the lazy (Blatche) to the slightly goofy (Young) to the average work ethic (McGuire, McGee), to the "gym rat" (Pecherov). Yet one thing is clear: we have yet to see significant improvement in BBall IQ and/or fundamentals in any of them.

Blatche many of the same boneheaded decisions he made in Year One. Frankly, one could attribute his improvement solely to physical maturity, rather than any fundamental skills development.

I'm going to cut and paste this into a new thread (do we have a "How to coach youngsters" thread?).

I'd exempt DMac from this criticism. I think he has shown some nice growth in basketball IQ. (I think Blatche is starting to grasp things too.) Every other young guy is an idiot with respect to defensive aptitude. None of them seem to have the vaguest idea of what to do defensively.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#82 » by JWizmentality » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:53 am

Protect the paint........
:rofl2:
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#83 » by TheBigThree » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:08 am

keynote wrote:QFT. I know that Jamison is a terrible defender, but it's not for lack of trying. But the youngsters looked confused and/or lax out there.

I am concerned about our coaching staff's ability to develop young talent. From a fan's perspective, our youngsters range in dedication and work ethic from the lazy (Blatche) to the slightly goofy (Young) to the average work ethic (McGuire, McGee), to the "gym rat" (Pecherov). Yet one thing is clear: we have yet to see significant improvement in BBall IQ and/or fundamentals in any of them.

Blatche many of the same boneheaded decisions he made in Year One. Frankly, one could attribute his improvement solely to physical maturity, rather than any fundamental skills development.

I'm going to cut and paste this into a new thread (do we have a "How to coach youngsters" thread?).

Great post. It's why I laugh every time I hear someone say we shouldn't have fired EJ. It's a travesty that our talent is wasted and not being developed/honed. Any good coach ingrains the fundamentals into his players. I see no evidence (in fact, I see evidence to the contrary when players like RMJ go to the Spurs and are forced to learn their fundamentals) that our coaching staff has ever made a real effort to teach these guys. I mean, when one of the least fundamentally sound basketball players in the NBA starts for your team for 3 years, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Of course, none of this excuses the disgusting lack of effort we've seen of late.
dfreshbfresh
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#84 » by dfreshbfresh » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:48 am

I dont care what anybody says..... Nick Young is a complete savage. Dude has hella bounce with a mean ass crossover. tailor made for the rookie/ soph game..... im pissed... tapscott is mud!!!
Dnice
Mr. Grundle
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#85 » by Mr. Grundle » Sat Feb 7, 2009 12:55 pm

We got bullied by a bigger, badder team. We just didn't have a single guy out there that was willing or able to bang with them. Jamison is right....we looked scared. Scared to get go to the paint and scared to defend it. It was pathetic. This team is waaaaay too soft. We need Blake Griffin in a bad way. Just getting Todd back won't be enough.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#86 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:15 pm

GilArenas88 wrote:Dude this is like Pech's second game of the season getting significant minutes, give him awhiled before you start to determine what he is.

I agree to an extent. I have been up and down on OP just because it's so hard to figure out what is going on with him. I mean, we currently have no established bigs is a 7 footer.... why can't he earn playing time ? He is a second year player. He should have a clue by now. You also read about how he is a hard worker. I've seen him pre-game and he does get out there and put in the work. So on a team that sucks this bad, what is it about him that keep him out of the line up.

He does seem to care enough that he is trying to run his assignments. The dude just seems to love the 3 ball. 7 in 22 minutes out of 9 shots. If that is going to be his one trick, he needs to hit more of them. He can't come out miss 3 before he makes one.

But at least he does seem to care.

This team just doesn't have many NBA ready players on it right now.

Crit - Yes
The one things I took away from this game was that Crit is an NBA level PG. They mentioned he has been throw 3 offenses in 3 years. He got the start and I thought he showed up for the opportunity. The only time they looked any good was to start the game with him driving, dishing and running the offense. He was making the players around him better and the offense looked efficient. I think the kid is going to stick around and be a player.

DMAC - ??
I know everyone seems to love the kid and I agree he has come a long way from being completely out of place on the court but he just doesn't do enough in his minutes.

42 mins 8 pts 8 boards 4 assists

His PER is still only 10 up from 6 which was the pits. So while he has gotten better, he simply needs to be more aggressive and do more across the board.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#87 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:24 pm

:lol: AJ talking about defense again. Someone needs to remind him when he presented LeBron with a red carpet baseline game winner in the playoffs.

What a fraud he is. If he would just stfu and stick to posting offensive numbers, I wouldn't really have a problem with him. But considering he's one of the most laziest and softest defenders I've seen over the years, it's really embarrassing listening to him preach defense.

The only player who has any ounce of credibility on the defensive end is Haywood. Everyone else needs to STFU and spend the off season learning the fundamentals.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#88 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:17 pm

Anyone who questions Blatche's value to the team must not have been watching the last two weeks of basketball. Granted, he'll never be a star, and he a little immature, but with him in the game they at least are competitive before they give away the game at the end of the 4th quarter. Even when Caron's on the floor they still get blown out by Memphis. Blatche is a solid player and I think people on the board should cut him some slack.
hands11
Banned User

Post#89 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:34 pm

TheBigThree wrote:
keynote wrote:QFT. I know that Jamison is a terrible defender, but it's not for lack of trying. But the youngsters looked confused and/or lax out there.

Great post. It's why I laugh every time I hear someone say we shouldn't have fired EJ. It's a travesty that our talent is wasted and not being developed/honed. Any good coach ingrains the fundamentals into his players. I see no evidence (in fact, I see evidence to the contrary when players like RMJ go to the Spurs and are forced to learn their fundamentals) that our coaching staff has ever made a real effort to teach these guys. I mean, when one of the least fundamentally sound basketball players in the NBA starts for your team for 3 years, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Of course, none of this excuses the disgusting lack of effort we've seen of late.

This is why I think many are to harsh on Tapps. He took over after the season started and has had to make do without a roster full of vets. He was handed young players who are in their first or second year and who got little to no court time and who were coached by EFJ. Then he lost his only real PG he had during the season. He got a talented prospect in return who was not even court ready in this offense and a journeyman multiyear player who he has to play so we can dump him. Add to that he has no centers ready to start. He doesn't even have Blatche now. EFJ never had it this bad.

Our younger players look ok against the second line of other teams. That's who they should be compared to.

Crit
James
DMAC
AJ
DSong

Come on. AJ is the only legit starting quality NBA player in that bunch and most of us would agree that he isn't a starting PF on a really good team.

Back that up with
Dixon
OP
McGee
NY

What would you expect Tapps to do with those players.

Younger players develop best if they are brought into a winning environment with knowledgeable established vets leading the way to show them what to do. Right now, this ship has no rudder. It has no PG to help them develop by feeding the the ball in situations to maximize the skills they have. This is why this team desperately needs a Kidd, Nash, CP type. That is the key to maximizing what we have to bring it along. Having GA would help a lot but he isn't that type of player. If it wasn't for GA being injured and EFJ being forced to play Haywood, I don't think Haywood would have produced like he did last year either. EFG and GA has to lot to do with why we haven't developed young players well. AJ doesn't help much either because he just isn't that kind of guy. He is more, go get it done on your own. Of GA, AJ, and CB, CB is the best team player for younger players.

You simply can't develop a young team without these kind of player. Without them, you just have a lot of younger parts trying to do things they aren't ready to do. You need a conductor. Put GA, CB, and AJ out there and they can score because that is what they do but as a group, they never worked well working in a post player. GA never developed a younger player with his PG skills.

But given the players we have available right now, a true establish passing PG would help a ton.

Example. McGee can do some things well. A great PG would get him 2 alley-ops a game. That would help build his confidence. They would also get in his ear when he took a stupid shot at the wrong time but saying.... look get the rebound and give me the ball. A great PG is a coaches best asset. The coach is on the side lines. You need a coach on the court. With an established PG, everyone knows who hands the ball should be in.

The good news is Crit seems to be this type of player to me. I can see the skills there. His only problem is that he isn't established enough yet. He is closer to the level that Blake was when he was here which is a good sign given we have nothing else close to that on the team. Given what we have here right now, starting him would be the best thing for our team. James isn't going to start for any other team when he is traded so let him be the back up PG. Crit now knows enough to get it done. It's time to start him every game until GA returns.

I would do this even at the expense of not starting DMAC if it came to that. DMAC has gotten tones of burn and when everyone is healthy, he will return to being a bench player until he offer more on offense. Crit is the key at this point. He is the one who can help make other players better more quickly.
hands11
Banned User

Post#90 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:41 pm

Mr. Grundle wrote:We got bullied by a bigger, badder team. We just didn't have a single guy out there that was willing or able to bang with them. Jamison is right....we looked scared. Scared to get go to the paint and scared to defend it. It was pathetic. This team is waaaaay too soft. We need Blake Griffin in a bad way. Just getting Todd back won't be enough.

Haywood would be a great start though. But yeah, we do need some more toughness. This is something I've been pounding on for a while. It's why I never liked Arvis. To smiley. It's also something that gave me a bad feeling about NY.

Even though Etan my not be the right guy for this team given his injuries and salary, the line up does feel a lot different when you have him available. This is why I'm hoping we get a R Wallace type vet to help anchor the post.
hands11
Banned User

Post#91 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:09 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:Anyone who questions Blatche's value to the team must not have been watching the last two weeks of basketball. Granted, he'll never be a star, and he a little immature, but with him in the game they at least are competitive before they give away the game at the end of the 4th quarter. Even when Caron's on the floor they still get blown out by Memphis. Blatche is a solid player and I think people on the board should cut him some slack.

Not that I disagreeing with you but part of that is because he is the only semblance of a starting quality center this team has.

Give this team Haywood and a starting quality PG and it would look a ton better. You could at least make soup with those ingredient.

Haywood and a establish PG would change this whole picture. Two things EFJ has last year. Plus Mason.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistic ... eason=2009

The only player we have on this list is CB at 37.

Longer term, we will be better off for trading AD once we dump James but right now it is killing us. Crit simply has to be the guy. We have to start him. But if we added a vet PG, we would be so much better off.

I can't wait till EG makes a move so we can see what we will look like moving forward when GA and Haywood return. To much is up in the air so everyone is sick of watching this half baked team.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#92 » by pancakes3 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:20 pm

i think a more telling assist stat is

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistic ... &split=999

our defense stinks on ice.
Bullets -> Wizards
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#93 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:35 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:Anyone who questions Blatche's value to the team must not have been watching the last two weeks of basketball. Granted, he'll never be a star, and he a little immature, but with him in the game they at least are competitive before they give away the game at the end of the 4th quarter. Even when Caron's on the floor they still get blown out by Memphis. Blatche is a solid player and I think people on the board should cut him some slack.

+1

Andray's way farther along defensively and is a better passer and midrange scorer than Javale. Can't wait to the day when they both get to play together, if it ever happens.
Bye bye Beal.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#94 » by TheBigThree » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:10 pm

People who malign Blatche don't really appreciate what he brings to our squad. His passing is excellent, he can challenge you from 15 feet, and he can put the ball on the floor, which helps spread the ball around. I fully expect Blatche to get his minutes back when he's healthy, granted I'd still like to see more of McGee & Blatche in the game at the same time.

And to your second to last post, hands: Tap is being scapegoated, but when EJ was here his responsibility was purportedly player development, so he failed in that regard right along with the rest of the coaching staff. Luckily these guys are young enough there is still time for a coach to come in and fix them up.

Regarding Critt, I think his future is really bright. His jumper has really come around of late, and he's as aggressive as Gil ever was. When he's in the game he's literally the only one that attempts to take the ball to the basket and push it up the floor on a turnover. I think in the first quarter yesterday (when the game was still competitive) he had 4 points, 4 assists and a few offensive rebounds. I'm happier with him than I think I am with any of the other young guys and think he should rightfully be starting.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#95 » by spaceman_E » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:18 pm

Sure we look awful without Blatche, but that's because look what we have backing him up...
If we had zaza pachulia on our bench we wouldn't look so terrible. That's about the most mediocre C I can think of at the moment. Fact is, Song isn't a C and Mcgee is not ready for big minutes yet. I'm not knocking Blatche because I think he is a player, but your reasoning is just off.

Also, I was really impressed with Critt this game. It might have just been poor defense, but if he can show this ability to penetrate and dish consistently that will be a very big step for our team. I also think he will be starting a couple days after the trade deadline so it's only a matter of time.
You don't win friends with salad.

Return to Washington Wizards