ImageImageImageImageImage

Gilbert not on the bench

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fifthstop
Sophomore
And1: 1

Re: Gilbert not on the bench 

Post#41 » by fifthstop » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Of course we're all Mon am QBs but I'm of the school that if you're on the team--injured/inactive/active whatever you go to games. That's why you're on the team whether or not you like what you're seeing. It could be argued that road trips don't make sense but homegames? No way! Ya gotta go. As someone pointed out--what's more important night in and night out.

No one questions gils love for his team or the sport. That makes his absence IMO all the glaring and me curious...
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#42 » by bulletproof_32 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:53 am

I agree with Wizardspride. I recall seeing Gil at plenty of games (at both the games I've attended and the ones on TV (home and away)). He hasn't been in attendance recently as far as I can remember but I don't think it's a big deal at all.

I suspect that even though he's not on the bench he's more than likely at the arena during the games. He's probably just saving himself an extra trip downtown on game nights by getting his thousands of J's in on the practice court during game time.

Besides, him sitting on the bench isn't always beneficial to the team (remember the ejection during the game he was in street clothes?)
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#43 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm

My Wizard rep sent me an email the other day asking what I thought of the season thus far, and since she asked I unloaded on her with the email message below, which included a complaint about not notifying season ticket holders of Arenas' status. Today, I got a call from the VP of Sales. According to the VP, Gilbert is fine but still waiting clearance from 4 doctors. Gil is also gun shy about returning unless all 4 doctors say he is 110 % healthy. The VP said that the Wizards brass expect Gil to make it back on the court this season and want him on the court to see how he meshes with our younger players. However, if Gil is not cleared until we only have a handful of games left, there will be no point in playing him. Anyway, the VP is giving me 4 free courtside seats to the Hornets game to make up for my unhappines. Here's my email that precipitated the call from the VP:

Thanks for calling. Unfortunately, I can’t say that I it has been a pleasurable experience going to the games this year. The Wizards can do all they want in terms of half-time entertainment, give-aways, etc., but fans like me only care about one thing, the product on the court. While I understand that injuries is the direct cause of the Wizards record and I can accept not being a playoff team this year because of that reason, I remain concerned regarding the direction this franchise is heading because of the following reasons:

The Wizards organization has kept Arenas’ health and projected time-line for return a secret from season-ticket holders. Although I understand that he cannot play until fully healthy, it is frustrating that no information has been conveyed regarding his progress.

When it was announced that Arenas was not going to be participating in training camp and not playing in the beginning of the season, Arenas claimed that management knew he would not be playing at the beginning of the season. If that is true, I find it disheartening that the Wizards organization did not inform its season ticket holders prior to their final payment being due.

The Wizards are intent to play Butler and Jamison 40+ minutes a night despite a lost season, needlessly putting more wear and tear on their bodies.

The Wizards organization has assembled a team and hired coaches with no emphasis on defense. This team has been one of the worst defensive teams in the league for five seasons with no improvement. That falls directly on Wizard’s management.

Although I understand that the Wizards should be a playoff team with Gilbert and Haywood back, they will never be a contender for a championship until they have players and coaches that are committed to playing defense. I don’t think any true fans believe that the Wizards, as currently constructed, will be a dominant team, let alone a contender for a championship. Our three all-stars are all below average defenders, we have absolutely no inside toughness, and we are a perimeter-oriented offensive team. Keeping status quo is not going to statisfy season ticket holders.

While I appreciate all that Jamison has done for this team, I firmly believe that the Wizards will not take that step forward until we have a true PF who can defend and score in the paint, instead of a talented offensive tweener who is a defensive liability. However, Wizards management continues to draft 7 foot soft players who would rather play like 6’6” SF. I'm fine with keeping Jamison, but this team is not going to be a championship team with him at the starting PF spot.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#44 » by dobrojim » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:58 am

nice letter; can't say there is much to argue with there.

hope you enjoy the free game

interesting news on Gil. Four different doctors eh? That explains
a lot.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#45 » by Benjammin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 am

dobrojim wrote:nice letter; can't say there is much to argue with there.

hope you enjoy the free game

interesting news on Gil. Four different doctors eh? That explains
a lot.

Getting four doctors to agree on anything is no mean feat, much less clearing a guy with the recent injury history of Gil.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#46 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:14 am

jimij wrote:Who cares if he's on the bench or not. He was at the arena early saturday and was around the team, just not out front on the bench.

One of my buddies is associated with the team and from his talks w/ Gil last week, my friend is convinced he'll that Gil will be back shortly after the all-star break. He said that at this point its mostly in Gil's head rather than that the knee is actually bothering him and that he's just been gun shy. He said that Gil has seen 7 different doctors to get opinions on the knee and that they've all told him the same thing - that the knee is fine. My friend thinks Gil is finally starting to believe that the knee is okay and that once he decides to play, he'll be back on the court VERY soon.

Sounds about right to me. I would have to visit the injury thread to confirm but I think I had a late Feb/early March date set for his return.

I think everyone is going to be really surprised when he shows up nailing 3 bombs like he didn't miss a day. You know that is the way Gil rolls. He has had plenty of extra time to recover.

What we don't know is what really happens in those closed practices. Is he really just playing 2 on 2 or is there something more going on ?

You know the real status of everyone else. But with GA, you just don't know where he is because he would hide it either way. My guess is he is balling but afraid of another set back. Who can blame him after all he has been through?
Wiz0
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#47 » by Wiz0 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:58 am

Time to end the drama per the Washington Times a few weeks ago.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/ ... -tomorrow/

And speaking of injured gaurds, Gilbert Arenas had said that he would start practicing with his teammates in Februray, but he has yet to do that. Ed Tapscott was asked where Arenas has been lately, as he hasn't been on the bench to watch his teammates play since before they went on their west coast trip two weeks ago. Tapscott said that Arenas is around, but that he has just been asked to do his rehab work during the games rather than in the training room before games -- as he had been doing -- while his teammates were trying to get ready to play. Tap said there still is no timetable for even a return to practice for the player formerly known as Agent Zero.

There you go. Gilbert being Gilbert, if he isn't in the game or he knows he isn't playing, is probably distracting to the young guys like Young and Blatche, and now he rehabs during games rather than sit on the bench.

Some people just want to stir the pot, and create drama. Obviously there has been little communication, but asking the same question daily is probably deflating to the team and management.

Return to Washington Wizards