ImageImageImageImageImage

Improving outside shot?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Josh
Ballboy
And1: 0

Improving outside shot? 

Post#1 » by Josh » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:32 pm

The moment Crittenton comes into the game, the Wiz look much better. His talent at running an offense is apparent. So is his absence of any kind of jump shot (or even free throw ability). Often, I read about various players or prospects that, "all X needs to do is get an outside shot," as if this were something within anyone's power.
The purpose of this post is to put a question to others who have more experience than I as players or coaches. How often can someone not in AAU 12-and-under but at the college/pro level achieve a marked improvement in his outside shot? I can recall a few players who have done so. Chris Webber and Mike Riordan come to mind. But I can recall even more, e.g., Calbert Cheaney, who came into the league without a shot and left without one, even though he was a good worker and played a position for which an outside shot was a chief requirement.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Re: Improving outside shot? 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Cheaney had a very good outside shot. He just didn't have 3-point range.

Jamison and Butler have each improved their jumpshot substantially over their careers.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:42 pm

It's extremely common. Even Michael Redd was only a so-so jump shooter in 4 years of college. Then, he spent the entire offseason just shooting long jumpers, and voila.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#4 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:47 pm

For the first few seasons of his NBA career, Rip Hamilton's range didn't extend beyond the midrange shot and he avoided shooting threes.

Rip improved his range dramatically well into his NBA career to the extent that for one season he led the NBA in three point shooting percentage.
Bye bye Beal.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#5 » by daSwami » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:03 pm

I've noticed that Critt has a weird hitch in his jump shot. Maybe its something tits hopla can help him with. As for how to improve ones shooting: I think its all about the reps and building "muscle memory." Shoot a thousand shots a day so your brain is on auto-pilot when the ball is in your hands.
:banghead:
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#6 » by dlts20 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Like the one poster said, it is very common for guys to develope jumpers. Karl Malone and MJ both had no jump shot at all but by the end of there careers they would never miss. With that being said, it is also extremely common for certain guys to just be bad shooters and never make a jump shot. I love Critt but he reminds me of all those guys that use to come from NY who can blow by anyone but never had jumpers.

The thing Critt has going for him is that when were healty he will have a ton of scorers around him and he's quick enough to where he can blow by anyone so that means it will be easier for him then most guys because he's going to be wide open alot or guys will give him a ton of space. The OP is right about how we look 10x better when he comes into the game, thats why Im wondering if Tap is just an idiot for sticking with the same lineup for a million straight games even when we dont get a win or is he just truly tanking it. I said on here a long time ago that Critt should start over "Dmac". Most didnt think he should and the others thought that if he did start then it should be for James but I disagree. Im the biggest Dmac fan in the world and he has done nothing to get benched but its about whats best for the team and the facts are that both Dmac & Caron are true SF's while James has NO PG skills at all. I beleive that NY has more PG skills then James. He's only playing there because he is short & quick but he has no PG skills. However, I think if you put him at the 2 then he could light it up. Also Caron is our best player and to me your not going to win with him playing out of position.

Dmac is playing great but lets be real about it. How much is he helping our D? We still get lit up and sometimes he still gets lit up by the smaller quicker guards. People say that our D will suffer with the small backcourt but were not stopping teams anyways and we struggle to score alot. If we start Critt at the 1, James at the 2, Caron at the 3, with Blatche at the 5 then we would look way way way better on O. Then you can take Critt out at like the 4min mark, bring in NY, then sit James down at the end of the quarter and bring back Critt to run the point with the 2nd unit. It solves every problem because it gives us the right starting lineup while also allowing us to play NY more
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#7 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I am down for anything that gets Mike James out of the lineup. I am all for tanking but James is just brutal to watch. His shot selection, basketball IQ, shot selection, passing and shot selection are absolutely terrible.

Please cut his minutes and play Critter 30-40 minutes a game.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#8 » by dlts20 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:I am down for anything that gets Mike James out of the lineup. I am all for tanking but James is just brutal to watch. His shot selection, basketball IQ, shot selection, passing and shot selection are absolutely terrible.

Please cut his minutes and play Critter 30-40 minutes a game.

its a catch 22 for me also. Its like I want so bad to see a lineup change because I cant stand to watch this anymore but at the same time Im scared that if we do change the lineup that we may actually win too much. I think starting James at his natural position of the 2 is the best lineup but if youre defintaly going to start Dmac no matter what then Critt should be the starting PG. Thats obvious.
Josh
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Josh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:57 am

Thanks, guys. There were some useful answers to my question. But Nate, you have a generous memory. Not only did Cheaney not have 3-point range, he also did not have 1-point range. He worked his way down to about 50%, the worst FT %age I've ever seen for a wing player. If by good outside shot, you mean from 10 feet or less, then OK.

Return to Washington Wizards