Exclusive EJ interview on CSN after the game on Tuesday

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Exclusive EJ interview on CSN after the game on Tuesday 

Post#1 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:33 am

Just a heads up.

EJ sits down with Chik Hernandez and talks about his firing in length. Can't wait to watch.
CaPtaiN eYeSaNo
Senior
And1: 1

Re: Exclusive EJ interview on CSN after the game on Tuesday 

Post#2 » by CaPtaiN eYeSaNo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:55 pm

as much as i questioned a lot of his tactics, he got hosed. He wasn't the GM that signed a man that wasn't healthy enough to play this year to a 110 million dollar deal.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#3 » by JWizmentality » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Can't watch it, and wouldn't watch it if I could.
newslowsad
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#4 » by newslowsad » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:07 am

EG was lucky our front office is so soft. Almost anywhere else, he would have been fired much sooner.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#5 » by newslowsad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:45 am

lol comcast begins the interview segment with black and white shots of eddie to coldplay's "lost."
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#6 » by mhd » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 am

In the history of professional sports, when has a coach who has never won a single 2nd round playoff game been given this treatment?
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#7 » by JWizmentality » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 am

I bet you DCZards is sitting in his living room half naked with a big gulp in one hand, and a Barry Manilow CD playing softly in the background. This has to be the most exciting part of the season for him.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#8 » by barelyawake » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 am

Love hearing EJ laud PJ Brown. He's right. That's exactly the guy we have needed. Problem is, they don't come around too often. I think the closest in the league (who has been available) right now is JO, but I would love to know if I'm missing one. Kurt Thomas, ZO, AD, Horry, PJ Brown, JO... Those type guys are so rare. Effort, toughness, leadership... Find me one of those guys and get him here. Drew Gooden might develop into one of those guys eventually. He's getting there by dedicating to hustle.
mhd
General Manager

Post#9 » by mhd » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:05 am

What about Jarvis Hayes as a PF, EJ? The softies in the press never asked you about that idiotic strategy.
MOrgil
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#10 » by MOrgil » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 am

Nothing surprising, nothing interesting... what a boring interview.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#11 » by newslowsad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 am

mhd wrote:In the history of professional sports, when has a coach who has never won a single 2nd round playoff game been given this treatment?

This is what happens when the bar is set so low, not only by the front office, but by many of the fans as well.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#12 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 am

barelyawake wrote:Love hearing EJ laud PJ Brown. He's right. That's exactly the guy we have needed. Problem is, they don't come around too often. I think the closest in the league (who has been available) right now is JO, but I would love to know if I'm missing one. Kurt Thomas, ZO, AD, Horry, PJ Brown, JO... Those type guys are so rare. Effort, toughness, leadership... Find me one of those guys and get him here. Drew Gooden might develop into one of those guys eventually. He's getting there by dedicating to hustle.

I was hoping someone did a thread on this.

Yeah, this was the low point of the interview for EJ. He said firing him was the right move if they weren't going to make the team better. What a joke. Then he tossed Haywood under the bus. Now the one thing he said that I agree with was that he needed a PG. But he could have moved GA to SG and played AD with him. Other then that his list was stupid.

Post Defender - Hello - Haywood you moron.

3 pt shooter - RM and GA. Sadly NY wasted away trying to become AI instead of learning to spot up more.

Look.. It's like they said. Head Coaches are hired to be fired. He was the 2nd longest tenured coach. I was praying we got ride of him before Haywood returned and the talent masked his shortcoming again. He got a very far shake.

He will show up again somewhere. If he lucks into the place having a good team with plenty of vets, he will probably when some games. But that has nothing to do with his time running out here.
hands11
Banned User

Post#13 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 am

Oh yeah. Since the CSN thing got so much air time and they made it sound like the whole washington area was wondering why we let him go, I email the wizards to let them know I totally agree with the firing of EJ.

I think EG did great picking McGee and trading for Crit who is a legit PG. Something we badly needed.

I let them know I still believe in EG and that regardless of the losses, we are still moving in the right direction. Once we get Haywood back we will instantly be a lot better.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#14 » by newslowsad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:15 am

Yeah, I really rolled my eyes when EJ complained about the center position. Dude really does hate Haywood.
hands11
Banned User

Post#15 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:35 am

OK. 2 more emails. One to Wizard at CSN and one to Chick directly.

I keep hearing them run this and its making me sick.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#16 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 pm

LMAO at EJ still complaining that Grunfeld never gave him a "defensive frontline". You had Haywood all the time, moron! This guy has zero credibility as a head coach and the rest of the league will see that when he gets his next job and has to coach a team without a top 5 talent being flanked by two All Stars.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#17 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:48 pm

I wanted to throw my remote at the TV. Without a doubt, one of the biggest fluff interviews I've ever seen. Chris Miller, the guy who hosts the post-game show for the Wizards is a massive tool. He and Chick were wondering why let a coach go after 4 straight playoff appearances. Take the glasses off, and realize that he never focused on defense, he wanted a banger down low, a center, a three point shooter. WE HAD ALL THAT AND WE STILL STUNK!

Then they played this video at the end, as if he died or something. An awful piece of reporting and a low point for CSN Mid-Atlantic.

And please put Chris Miller somewhere else. He talks so seriously, you would think someone had passed away. Lighten up.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
mhd
General Manager

Post#18 » by mhd » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:01 pm

Flip Saunders got fired because the conf. files isn't good enough in Detroit. NO ONE says a peep about that. EJ getting fired for never winning a 2nd round playoff game causes massive histeria.
hands11
Banned User

Post#19 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:05 pm

They are still playing this garbage on CSN so I had to turn it off.

Time to call the troops into action again.

Go to Wizards.com and email them about how you support the EJ firing. Also go to comcast directly and email them.

http://comcastsportsnet.tv/pages/inner/contact

I already did it once. Now they are forcing me to do it again. This is just stupid. This has the effect of a massive PR move against EG. We don't need to give Abe any ideas. God help us if we leave it up to Abe to make a change. This scares the crap out of me and reminds me of what happen to Nash.

As an aside. I saw an interview with Ted yesterday. I can't wait till Abe sell to him. That is the next move we need to make in our recovery. That will be huge.

Look, I'm still up on this team and the future. We have been making steady progress with our personnel since EG got here. This year we made more progress by adding McGee and Crit. The only downside was we lost Mason. We still have more to do but we have a good roster when healthy. I'm excited about the idea of getting Haywood and GA back without EFJ as the head coach.

I'm excited to see what Tapps can do with them.

When we get there, we will be better off then we were before when we had EFJ. I support keeping EG 100%. GA is now practicing again.

The worst is behind us. Now is not the time to panic.
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by AAEXPRESS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:21 pm

I watched both parts of the interview and there was nothing very compelling that really jumped out at me other then the fact that there was no love lost between EJ and EG. The timing of the firing was puzzling to me as I was never a big EJ but it was like EG was distancing himself from EJ and putting the blame on him. I think both EG and EJ are middle of the pack as GM and coaches go. And EG is deluding himself if he thinks this roster will every make it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs let alone the first round.

Return to Washington Wizards