ImageImageImageImageImage

OT-Our snowless Winter

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Re: OT-Our snowless Winter 

Post#21 » by pancakes3 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 2:36 am

has an NBA game ever been canceled for snow? NFL?
Bullets -> Wizards
MOrgil
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#22 » by MOrgil » Mon Mar 2, 2009 5:58 am

my morning classes will probably be closed, I'm praying for my evening class to cancel :-)
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#23 » by tkunit » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:09 pm

I had to drive to work today, up 95 to 495, people were off the road left in right, had a spin out in front of my on the overpass to 495. Caused everyone else to slide down the ramp lol, was fun but kind of un-nerving.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#24 » by MJG » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:10 pm

Yea, I think I'll be working remotely today.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#25 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:25 pm

F-it I ain't going to work today.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:49 pm

Ugg, I just got to work - driving from Gaithersburg to Bethesda. 355 was a slushy mess. One car swerved off onto the median strip - just spinning his wheels. Funny - when I turned off onto Old G-town road, it was relatively smooth sailing. It is nashty out there. I can't believe the federal government isn't closing. Visibility is a big problem.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#27 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 2, 2009 1:50 pm

JWizmentality wrote:UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!! Why now of all times!!! Gaddamn snow!!! I've got the biggest meeting of my life tomorrow for a huge ass promotion and they're talking about 1 foot of snow!! What did I do to deserve this Almighty?!? If it's about that chick last week, she was more drunk than I was!! :cry:

The Almighty says it was the huge ass you had in your drunkeness that has cost your ass the huge ass promotion that you seek.

It's been real real cool here, too. So breezy I needed covers. I mean it's dipped down into the upper 50's at night. Didn't even go to the beach yesterday. Brrrrrr. :lol:

Hey, in all seriousness, it has been a really cool winter here compared to all the others I've seen here.

Just following the news of the weather I see where back in the eastern Alabama/western Georgia area (where we lived before being stationed here) it even snowed there. I never saw any snow the three years we were there. Weather has been cold/snowy a lot of places.
Bye bye Beal.
WizBiz
Assistant Coach
And1: 27

Post#28 » by WizBiz » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:22 pm

VCU is closed, which is surprising because VCU never closes.
MOrgil
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#29 » by MOrgil » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:31 pm

stupid George Mason is opening at 12:30...
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#30 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:12 pm

I just wanted to point out that if you get three or four inches of snow regularly in Chicago or whatever, then you are going to have the appropriate amount of machinery on hand to deal with that level of snow. Therefore it is reasonable to expect that you can tolerate more snow before closing.

If you only have one major snow event a year it's not going to make sense to have a lot of equipment around. Therefore when you do have an event it's going to take you longer to dig out, and therefore the whole system will have a lower tolerance for snow.

It's not that people in DC don't know how to drive on snow. That has nothing to do with it. It's just the average snowfall in this area is less so we have less equipment. It would be STUPID and cost ineffective to have enough equipment on hand so that we never close. As long as everything shuts down only for a few days a year then you have the right amount.

In other words, Wilbon can go screw himself.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#31 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 11:30 pm

We got 6 inches today. I was the only one in my immediate department to come in. Needless to say it was a very boring today b/c the net was down at work.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#32 » by JWizmentality » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:12 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!! Why now of all times!!! Gaddamn snow!!! I've got the biggest meeting of my life tomorrow for a huge ass promotion and they're talking about 1 foot of snow!! What did I do to deserve this Almighty?!? If it's about that chick last week, she was more drunk than I was!! :cry:

The Almighty says it was the huge ass you had in your drunkeness that has cost your ass the huge ass promotion that you seek.

It's been real real cool here, too. So breezy I needed covers. I mean it's dipped down into the upper 50's at night. Didn't even go to the beach yesterday. Brrrrrr. :lol:

Hey, in all seriousness, it has been a really cool winter here compared to all the others I've seen here.

Just following the news of the weather I see where back in the eastern Alabama/western Georgia area (where we lived before being stationed here) it even snowed there. I never saw any snow the three years we were there. Weather has been cold/snowy a lot of places.

You kidding me. My arse was at Grand Central Station at 5:00am in the morning before crap really started to fall. My meeting was at 11:30. As my old college professor used to say to students who didn't show up on snow days. "I bet your ass if I told you there was $10,000 here waiting for you and you had to get here by 8:00am, you'd find your sorry ass here wouldn't you?"
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#33 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 3, 2009 6:44 am

JWiz here in Hawaii back in 2007 we had an earthquake. Nobody died or anything but everybody got a little shook up. I was out driving around before all the power was shut down. Found a grocery store that had a back up generator. No prob. No big deal to me. I'm thinking that was pretty awesome, especially since nobody got really messed up. A miracle. This was on a Saturday morning.

Next day there was no church. Canceled!

I found a way to get to the church and was surprised as all hell, pun intended, that nobody else did. I'm thinking it's a miracle nobody died. No sunami. No major electrical wires down, etc. I know there's power out over a good bit of the island but I'm thinking I'm going to the wrong church.

To me, we could have worshipped outside in the parking lot. Those who lived close enough.

JWiz, I need the Lord like what your professor was saying folks who wanted that 10000.

Find a way to get it done, man.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards