BETTING AGAINST THE WIZ

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

BETTING AGAINST THE WIZ 

Post#1 » by W. Unseld » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:31 pm

I was in Vegas last week, and after a few days began to grow cynical/desparate for a way to win back some of my losses. In blackjack I used a system that won't get you rich but will keep you gambling and drinking for free. If you bet 5 and lose you bet 10 on your next bet, if you lose that you bet 15 on your next, if you lose that then you bet 30, lose that bet 60 and so forth. As soon as you win one hand you get all of your money back then you start the process over. With that in mind I bet against the Wizards in the NJ game, figuring I might as well make some money off of my misery. Well, we know what happened there. Sticking with the strategy, I then doubled my bet the next night against the Spurs and got back all of my $$ plus a little extra. Who knows the Wiz better than we do? And with this system--particularly in back to back games (they just about ALWAYS lose one of them) it's fairly safe. With that in mind, the spread for tonight is Bulls giving up 5 with Obama in the house rooting for them and the recent death of a beloved announcement. Does it get much safer than this?

Use this thread to chime in when you think it's a safe night to bet on the Wiz. Use this website for the spread:
http://www.covers.com/sports/nba/nba_main.aspx

**This is all for entertainment purposes only of course and I would never bet $$ if it were outside of Vegas.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Re: BETTING AGAINST THE WIZ 

Post#2 » by JWizmentality » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Careful, Arenas just might suit up tonight.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#3 » by barelyawake » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:48 pm

This would be the one game of the year that I hope the Wiz win. Not only because it's the Oxen. Not only because of the President is there. But, mostly because I want Obama to come back. I hope we show the elements of this team that are worth seeing next season (especially with Haywood, Arenas and hopefully Blake) -- meaning I want Blatche, Caron, Dom, McGee and Crit to have killer games. Play like it's the playoffs. At least, one jaw dropping block from someone (yes Dom, I mean you). One killer feed each for Blatche and Crit. No looks would be nice. Full court, Fluties from Caron to Blatche would be good. One impossible hook shot from McGee, followed by a power dunk.

Just this game. Then go back to tanking.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by W. Unseld » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:54 pm

For the purposes of this thread, we're just analyzing who we think are going to win and who will lose and who will cover the spread. Being a fan only applies here b/c of the above average knowledge it gives you of the team.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,053

Post#5 » by queridiculo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't know a damn thing about sports betting. Is it possible to simply bet on win/loss?
gowiz999
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#6 » by gowiz999 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 am

hermitkid wrote:I don't know a damn thing about sports betting. Is it possible to simply bet on win/loss?

Yes, it's called the moneyline.

For example if you were to Bet on the Bulls to just win straight up tonight the line would is around -210 meaning that for you to win $50 you would have to bet $105 (50*2.10).
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#7 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:58 am

you probably coulda made a ton of $$$ this year just betting against us

there were quite a few games which you just knew they wouldn't
play well, win or probably even cover a spread.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#8 » by bulletproof_32 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:03 am

W. Unseld wrote:IThis is all for entertainment purposes only of course and I would never bet $$ if it were outside of Vegas.

Good thing your fail proof/ safe bet strategy was only for entertainment purposes.

Sorry buddy, I just couldn't resist.

Oh , yeah, I'm assuming my Vegas invite got lost in the mail.

BTW, only 9 home games left. I suspect you guys aren't going to make it up for a game this year. Check the "TIX" thread though - I'm more than likely upgrading to better seats at a reasonable price next year. We'll have to organize a get together next season.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#9 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:15 am

now I hear the $31/seat deal is possibly only for full 41 game packages.
I'm thinking split one with somebody. It's barely more for 41 games than
my package was for 13 games!
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by W. Unseld » Sun Mar 1, 2009 2:41 am

Quite the contrary 'proof. The Wiz losing on the road on the back end of a back to back is the safest bet in sports. Even if I were to somehow lose here, I just use the blackjack system of doubling my last bet until I make it all back up--unlike cards, there is a guaranteed loss coming at some point. Of course right now this is all conjecture b/c I'm not in Vegas and am told the online betting is terrible if they owe you $$.

As for the Wiz game with Makris' wife due in the next ten days and mine in the next 3 weeks it's extremely doubtful. All though sometime you will have to tell me the story of you, Blunt, Missy and the wrestler you big nose biting hero.

Return to Washington Wizards