WIZ vs Charlotte

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,335

Re: WIZ vs Charlotte 

Post#101 » by dobrojim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 pm

I think what Dat means is that every dog has its day as evidenced
by a rather superb game by Mike James (who?) last night.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#102 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:17 pm

Dat2U wrote:
MJG wrote:
hands11 wrote:I think people should be far and give Tapps some credit for cracking the nut that is Nick.

We all know he had talent. He just needed to become a more complete NBA player and that is what we are starting to see.

What has N1 done these past two weeks that he didn't do the season's first two weeks, when EJ was his coach? He's just an up-and-down player who is currently on his "up" mode.

Agreed, but we do this for all of our young guys. Critt had his first good game in weeks the other night and folks were ready to call him a building block.

This is the NBA, anyone on any given night could have a good game and play at a high level. Jahidi White had a string of double/doubles at one time in his career. Kwame had 30/17 followed by 27/10 in back to back games. LaBradford Smith lit up MJ for 30+ back in the day. What seperates a mirage from reality is whether or not guys can bring it every night. For as much as I bash Jamison and his defense & leadership, he puts up 20 & 10 with regularity. His consistency makes him better than Blatche who will give us 17 & 10 one night and 5 & 2 the next.

When Young, Critt or Dom start showing some real consistency, then I'll get excited about their long term prospects.

Exactly, some people on this board have short memories. A guy has one or two good games and all of a sudden everything is forgotten and the player is a key building block. It wasn't two weeks ago when most people on this board were saying they were giving up on Young. He has a few good games and everyone is on the bandwagon again. So far this season, Young has shined when the game has been lost and he is out there playing one on five, without any resemblence of running an offense. Although I have seen improvement over the last two games, they are only two games. Blatche is still very inconsistent and even when he does shine in games, it is typically in the first half and he disappears in the second half. Players like Young and Blatche are going to have to start playing consistently well, THE ENTIRE GAME, before I declare either one as something more than an average back-up.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#103 » by BigA » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:
Exactly, some people on this board have short memories. A guy has one or two good games and all of a sudden everything is forgotten and the player is a key building block. It wasn't two weeks ago when most people on this board were saying they were giving up on Young. He has a few good games and everyone is on the bandwagon again. So far this season, Young has shined when the game has been lost and he is out there playing one on five, without any resemblence of running an offense. Although I have seen improvement over the last two games, they are only two games. Blatche is still very inconsistent and even when he does shine in games, it is typically in the first half and he disappears in the second half. Players like Young and Blatche are going to have to start playing consistently well, THE ENTIRE GAME, before I declare either one as something more than an average back-up.

I agree with your broad point, we shouldn't overreact to a few good or bad performances.

That said, I think Nick's been mostly pretty solid for the past few weeks. Enough of a consistent jump up in things other than scoring (e.g. I've liked his rebounding) to be somewhat encouraged.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#104 » by hands11 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:40 am

closg00 wrote:
hands11 wrote:I think people should be far and give Tapps some credit for cracking the nut that is Nick.

We all know he had talent. He just needed to become a more complete NBA player and that is what we are starting to see.

Add to Tapps contributions are the progress of DMAC.
Blatche has made strides this year also.
McGee has been managed well. He obviously needs a really good off season.
Crit has also been managed well. He had not clue. Now he has some clue. He can drive but needs to add a shot.

We had lots of raw talent and very little quality vet presence to help bring them along and stabilize the team. Given that environment, I think Tapps did well managing the situation and not loosing the team.

Why should Tap be given any credit at all?

*Nicks minutes have increased only because Tap had little choice but to increase his minutes.
*Tap reaptedly played poorly performing vets (an injured DS) over developing the rookies in a lost season.
*McGee's use or non-use has been baffling. If McGee was playing especially well during a game, he was sure to pulled as-soon as he got hot.
* Crit's weaknesses are obvious, but Mike James weaknesses are just as-bad if-not worse than Crit's

Don't get me started on Taps foolish and hurtful comments he's made about the rooks that have appeared in the press.

Ed Tapscott is an arrogant prick and I can't wait to be rid of him.

Don't be foolish. Your missing the whole play. You really think CB is out because he can't play right now. Please.

Look at the results. Nick is finally starting to get it and it's not just another Nick up swing. He is maturing and playing a different kind of game.

You honestly think that DS not starting was just because DS decided it was best for the team. LMAO. DS wouldn't give up his starting streak for anything. It's more likely he was sat down and given a choice. You can do it or we are going to do it. The way they handed it was best. DS looked good and the team looked good.

Crit started on this team not having a clue and now he does. He still has gaps in his game but they brought him along very well.

Sitting McGee for Blatche was the right now and later start DSong at center over Blatche was also the right move.

It amazes me how some people miss the way things really happen. You aren't going to read it in the paper the way it really goes down. You have to have some business experience and read between the line. Gil could have played already. The are just managing the losses with other team development goals.

Example. Someone questioned .... how do I know EJs contract was extended because of Abe and not EG. If you don't get how that went down then I'm sure you aren't getting what Tapps has accomplished with this team. He has done a A job given the situation we was given and he has been a good balance of nice guy and prick to get the results he needed.

Again. Tapps and EG are working hand in hand and EG is a lot tougher then people give him credit. I still contend that most the things that people don't like EG about was really Abe. But the things that were EG were.

Getting GA. Getting CB for Kwame. Letting Hughes and Jefferies go. Getting ride of Ruffin and Arvis who EJ loved. Dumping EJ. Drafting Nick and McGee and DMAC. Dumping AD for a good PG prospect. Tried to bring in a great defensive assistant. Talking Abe into going over the cap while he finishes building this thing.

What I didn't like that was on EG was... letting Blake walk when he did and as good as AJ has been, I didn't think he wasn't worth the money and the pick given what we needed. EG also gets an A but still has some heavy lifting to do in the next year or two.

EG and Tapps are getting it done and you will soon see the result. We hit our low but we are a long way from see the best of what they have put together. We still have a few things to take care of but we will see the results soon enough. Step one, getting GA back on the court.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,335

Post#105 » by dobrojim » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:07 pm

they had little choice in letting Blake walk

even though he's become a decent NBA PG, we had
no place for him unless your crystal ball told you
Gil would miss 2 years before it happened.

Gil plays > 40 mpg. Blake understood what this meant
for his long term prospects. It wasn't likely to happen here.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards