ImageImageImageImageImage

from a magic fan......

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

joshman
Banned User
And1: 0

from a magic fan...... 

Post#1 » by joshman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 am

its been a tough season. but i think your team is on the rise.
with arenas coming back i think all you need is a TRUE center. not a haywood or thomas. like a thabeet in the upcoming draft.

i think you will have a very good team that can contend.

pg-arenas, james
sg-young, stevenson
sf-butler, blatche
pf-jamison,thomas
c-thabeet,haywood

that right there is a playoff team.

so im just droppin by showin some love and saying good luck the rest of the sesaon, in the lottery and the upcoming season. i hope you do well, just not against my magic. lol
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Re: from a magic fan...... 

Post#2 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:56 am

thanks and all but...

Thabeet is not a TRUE center and is a worse project player than we have right now in McGee.

We need a Griffin not a Thabeet.

But thanks agains and good luck in the playoffs
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#3 » by mhd » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:11 am

joshman wrote:its been a tough season. but i think your team is on the rise.
with arenas coming back i think all you need is a TRUE center. not a haywood or thomas. like a thabeet in the upcoming draft.

pg-arenas, james
sg-young, stevenson
sf-butler, blatche
pf-jamison,thomas
c-thabeet,haywood

so im just droppin by showin some love and saying good luck the rest of the sesaon, in the lottery and the upcoming season. i hope you do well, just not against my magic. lol

Haywood is perfectly fine at center. He's a great defender on a great contract.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#4 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 am

mhd wrote:
joshman wrote:its been a tough season. but i think your team is on the rise.

pg-arenas, james
sg-young, stevenson
sf-butler, blatche
pf-jamison,thomas
c-thabeet,haywood

Haywood is perfectly fine at center. He's a great defender on a great contract.

Yup. Haywood isn't the problem. He's not a franchise player or anything, but he's rock solid. You can win a championship with a guy like Haywood at center as long as you have the right players around him.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:34 am

Great contract for now, but he's gonna want a raise. I think that's gonna be ugly. That's just me though. Ernie will probably want him to sign something similar to what he's making now, but Haywood would probably want 8-10 million per.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#6 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 am

Rafael122 wrote:Great contract for now, but he's gonna want a raise. I think that's gonna be ugly. That's just me though. Ernie will probably want him to sign something similar to what he's making now, but Haywood would probably want 8-10 million per.

And he is worth it. This team isn't going anywhere without a vet center at least as good as Haywood.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#7 » by miller31time » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 am

Rafael122 wrote:Great contract for now, but he's gonna want a raise. I think that's gonna be ugly. That's just me though. Ernie will probably want him to sign something similar to what he's making now, but Haywood would probably want 8-10 million per.

If I remember correctly, he could have gotten more money on his last contract but didn't push for more than the offered amount.

(I may be totally off-base with this, though).

Brendan just seems like a chill player. I don't know if he's going to want a contract that's too far off what Ernie wants to give him.
MOrgil
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#8 » by MOrgil » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

I think Haywood is a type of player who would take a paycut if the team is on the verge of becoming a true contender.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#9 » by doclinkin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:50 am

Y'all don't know Haywood all that well. This is the guy who saves his per diem every day and flies coach on commercial flights. He's had a reputation since college of hoarding money and being motivated mostly by cash.

Difference on his last contract was that he and team rival KFB were due to be re-upped in the same year. The French Dressing bandit was a number one pick for whom even MJ had been sacrificed, and folks were saying the KFB just needed more playing time ---bla bla bla-- to develop, any minute now he was gonna break out. If Haywood was battling for PT with him that year, had a reputation of being sometimey, etc --anything could happen-- so he re-upped early to preempt the bench competition. Drove the kid outta town ultimately.

Difference now is that Haywood has all the leverage he needs, zero competition, and has a solid resume to shop himself for offers to whatever situation and contender values his skills. Either that or he can re-up here with a team that has built itself around a guy who never much passed him the ball, and with a franchise and fanbase who occasionally thought Etan was the better bet. Called him Brenda and all that.

To me it all dangles on who we take as coach, how they appreciate him, and how the team plays with him next year. The best thing we have going for us in re-signing the Wood: Ernie has showed him love even in the rougher times with the last coach, and good friend Jamison plays here.

But better believe money enters into the picture this go 'round. 17 wins without him-- tends to put his value in a stark light. And I suspect Larry Brown will try to make a push to obtain him, if at all possible. San Antonio. There are more than a few other places that would show him love.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:48 am

Haywood would be very wise to go to a team like San Antonio, or, God forbid, Miami.

Both those team have a superstar that has championship experience and both have defensive coaches. The Spurs with Haywood probably have one more title in them. Duncan will be 33 and Ginobili 32, younger than their Celtic counterparts, KG and Ray Allen (both to be 34).

Brendan's probably not a Wizard long-term, would be my early guess.

doc is absolutely right to say money will matter this time. I think he'd also be wise to choose to play in the right system for him (for a change).
Bye bye Beal.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#11 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 am

Watch that Detroit game and see how desperately they miss Haywood on the defensive end.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#12 » by BigA » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 am

I agree with the points about Brendan's value to the Wizards, etc. There are some possible countervailing points, or at least questions, regarding the market next offseason.

How much money will there be for secondary free agents in 2010, after all the big names? After another season where a third or more of the teams are hemorrhaging money? Haywood is not someone who's going to put fans in the seats.

And even for teams that would see his value, as a key piece for a contender, he's sort of a value-for-money proposition, right? What other options for primarily defensive centers will be available and at what price? To the Wizards as well as to the teams that might be potential bidders for Haywood?

Also, what if the Wizards get a coach who improves their overall defense to the point where Haywood isn't the only thing preventing an And1 Mixtape defense?

I think it's an open question whether anyone is going to step up and offer Brendan $8-10 million. And while I agree that we can't count on him giving us a discount, I do think the number of years is probably more important to him than a marginal difference in dollars per year.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they extend him this off season, assuming they can move Stevenson or Songaila.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Haywood is an excellent role player, but a role player nevertheless. I'm hoping that the teams with cap room will be in search of primary players and won't have big money to round out their roster with guys like Haywood. Hopefully, the teams looking for role players will already have most of the cap dollars devoted to their stars and will only be throwing MLE type money at Haywood.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I hope to resign Haywood for about $7M.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#14 » by Benjammin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:26 pm

nate33 wrote:Haywood is an excellent role player, but a role player nevertheless. I'm hoping that the teams with cap room will be in search of primary players and won't have big money to round out their roster with guys like Haywood. Hopefully, the teams looking for role players will already have most of the cap dollars devoted to their stars and will only be throwing MLE type money at Haywood.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I hope to resign Haywood for about $7M.

I think the serious conversation begins at 8M, but hopefully doesn't go much higher than that. It's hard to know what role his signing a below market deal before has on the next deal in Wood's thinking.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#15 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Yes, yes it is. We also have to consider this: we can't keep paying everyone. Haywood is due for an extension should he want to stay, Butler is due for an extension in 2 years, and by that time, you have to think about whether or not Blatche and Young are worth long term investments, especially Blatche who will be what...26, 27 years old?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Tiago
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Tiago » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Hasheem Thabeet is the next PJ Ramos( currently playing Alta Gestion Fuenlabrada)....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Yes, yes it is. We also have to consider this: we can't keep paying everyone. Haywood is due for an extension should he want to stay, Butler is due for an extension in 2 years, and by that time, you have to think about whether or not Blatche and Young are worth long term investments, especially Blatche who will be what...26, 27 years old?

Not really too much of a problem. Jamison's gargantuan contract expires in 2012. After that, it's clear sailing. At worst, we'd have one difficult year in 2011 if Butler, Young and Crittenton all resign. But even then, it shouldn't be that much of a problem with DSong and Stevenson off the books.

Return to Washington Wizards