Mcgee Rookie Comparison

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

forthepeople
Freshman
And1: 0

Mcgee Rookie Comparison 

Post#1 » by forthepeople » Sat Apr 4, 2009 1:20 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... udy09-Rose
I saw this article on espn suggesting which nba vet these rookies should study to improve there game. I don't have insider can anyone tell me who Thorpe suggests for Mcgee?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Mcgee Rookie Comparison 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 2:15 am

Andris Biedrins.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#3 » by JWizmentality » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:11 am

Ewww...nothing against Andris but get the **** outta here. Java better be studying D.Howard, while under Haywood's watch.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#4 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 4:30 am

I think Biedrins is a pretty good selection. Like McGee, Biedrins is a pretty fierce rebounder despite being somewhat thin and wiry. I think Tyson Chandler is the right kind of role model.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#5 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 5:56 am

nate33 wrote:I think Biedrins is a pretty good selection. Like McGee, Biedrins is a pretty fierce rebounder despite being somewhat thin and wiry. I think Tyson Chandler is the right kind of role model.

That is the first time in World History that statement has ever been uttered.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 1:50 pm

hands11 wrote:
nate33 wrote:I think Biedrins is a pretty good selection. Like McGee, Biedrins is a pretty fierce rebounder despite being somewhat thin and wiry. I think Tyson Chandler is the right kind of role model.

Touche.

I suppose "role model" is overstating it. I'd be happy if McGee could play like Chandler on defense. McGee has much better potential on offense though.

Man, how many alley oop dunks could McGee get playing alongside Chris Paul?
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#7 » by tkunit » Sat Apr 4, 2009 2:44 pm

I don't see it, Biedrins didn't come into the league built like a tall girl. He was killing all the str stuff in pre draft blah blah. I think Chandler is probably more like it. Although McGee does seem much better on the O.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:31 pm

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Touche.

I suppose "role model" is overstating it. I'd be happy if McGee could play like Chandler on defense. McGee has much better potential on offense though.

Very few, if he can't stay on court long enough due to porous defense. Frankly McGee has all the mentor/role model he needs in Brendan Haywood, provided Wood gets a contract extension and doesn't have to worry about his status with the team, feels comfortable enough teaching him how to defend. Learning all the tricks, hitting the weights, getting shoved off the blocks in practice and being forced to get a stronger base and fundamental footwork.

But yeah, if we ended up with Ricky Rubio these two would make hella highlight reels, whatever the defensive shortcomings. Shoot Gilbert and his 20-1 assist to TO ratio will make the Big Kid look good whenever he develops enough that he's no liability at the back end. With his speed, length, body control and hands, he can dammsure both challenge a shot and still leakout to finish an outlet break. There's a nice future here if he can learn quickly. Love to see what Gil and the JV look like after an offseason together.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#9 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 4, 2009 5:01 pm

For all the Blake Griffin talk, I'm thinking if the Wizards don't end up with Griffin they might already have their PF of the future in McGee.

Javale reminds me of Larry Nance. Tall enough to play some C, but really a PF.
Bye bye Beal.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by RickRoll_inDC » Sat Apr 4, 2009 7:02 pm

I would have to say that he compares more to Tyson Chandler or Marcus Camby. He's a rebounding machine and blocks a lot of shots. He can easily become as good as either of them, if not better.
19-13 on game threads
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 8:31 pm

Just think of a front court of McGee and Griffin for the next decade...with their potentials reached
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 4, 2009 10:23 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:For all the Blake Griffin talk, I'm thinking if the Wizards don't end up with Griffin they might already have their PF of the future in McGee.

Do you really think he has the skills to play PF at the offensive end? I tried picturing it when Pam said he and Brendan could play together, and I could maybe see it defensively, but offensively... I'm at a loss - you'd have to draw pictures for me. :lol: I think I could pick his pocket if he's holding the ball facing the basket. If he's so confused playing the position he's always played, how is he going to learn a new position - much less play it well enough to start at?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#13 » by go'stags » Sat Apr 4, 2009 10:29 pm

I agree with CCJ. McGee was hit some threes in summer league, and showed good form. He also has a very goos touch. There is no reason he cant consistently hit a 15 footer. Then when you consider he has shown flashes of a post game,how he is a great finisher, and his crazy athleticism and size, there is no reason he cant play PF.

Thats not even considering ther havoc he and Haywood would cause on defense once he learns how to rotate and stay on his feet.

I too would like Griffin, but I wont be horribly upset because I think McGee can be a mix of David West and Tyson Chandler.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
hands11
Banned User

Post#14 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 10:52 pm

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Touche.

Keep you eye on the new Gil and you will see :)
hands11
Banned User

Post#15 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 11:02 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:For all the Blake Griffin talk, I'm thinking if the Wizards don't end up with Griffin they might already have their PF of the future in McGee.

Now your talking. I just hope we get to see some of it soon so we can get a glimpse.

Haywood, McGee, Blatche, NY, Gilberrrrrt
or
Haywood, McGee, AJ, CB, Gilberrrrrt

Something like that. Just to see what they can do.

There was already a Haywood and Blatche sighting in the MEM game. Something I have been waiting forever to see. Line up were

Haywood, Blatche, CB, NY, Crit +1
Haywood, Blatche, AJ, NY, Crit +9

We even got some
Haywood, Blatche, CB, DMAC, NY +1

Tapps was mixing it up. Love it.

Just a warning. If Gil keeps this up, I'm going hunting for the people that jumped me when I said he could be a Chris Paul type PG. Sorry but pay backs are hell.
hands11
Banned User

Post#16 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 11:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Do you really think he has the skills to play PF at the offensive end? I tried picturing it when Pam said he and Brendan could play together, and I could maybe see it defensively, but offensively... I'm at a loss - you'd have to draw pictures for me. :lol: I think I could pick his pocket if he's holding the ball facing the basket. If he's so confused playing the position he's always played, how is he going to learn a new position - much less play it well enough to start at?

Save this somewhere on your computer so you can look it up later and laugh at yourself.

I heard this same kind of stuff when people used to complain about Blatche taking an outside shot or dribble. Now you see AB do some awesome behind the back, crossovers with step back on people.

McGee actually has an outside shot. The game just has to slow down for him. Just wait. He will start to show the outside shot next year. He is going to get minutes there as a back up so maybe you will get to see the vision with your own eyes and save us some drawing.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#17 » by pancakes3 » Sun Apr 5, 2009 12:23 am

On half-court sets McGee does like to hang around outside and slash his way in rather than establish himself deep in the paint. I think defensively though is where McGee would really thrive. He won't be dealing with hefty centers and get thrown around anymore in the post. Plus, even on the perimeter, he's athletic enough to keep up with most any PF in the league off the dribble.

David Thorpe might say Biedrins, but I personally hope he plays more like Marcus Camby. They both have that ugly catapulting-action shooting mechanic, they both are long and skinny with decent springs and freak wingspans, and what's more they have comparable per 36 rookie numbers. Javale just couldn't get on the court this season despite us being piss poor and center-less. I'm telling you... Camby...
Bullets -> Wizards
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#18 » by fishercob » Sun Apr 5, 2009 2:06 am

hands11 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Save this somewhere on your computer so you can look it up later and laugh at yourself.

I heard this same kind of stuff when people used to complain about Blatche taking an outside shot or dribble. Now you see AB do some awesome behind the back, crossovers with step back on people.

McGee actually has an outside shot. The game just has to slow down for him. Just wait. He will start to show the outside shot next year. He is going to get minutes there as a back up so maybe you will get to see the vision with your own eyes and save us some drawing.

While it's somewhat off topic, I have to respond to this. I think that one of the main things that has held Blatche's progress back is the lack of development of his face-up J, and his persistence in putting the ball on the floor when does nothing. You can tell that he had enough talent in high school to dominate, and since he didn't have the benefit of any college coaching.

Name another PF who uses behind the back dribbles and step backs to create -- and make -- jumpers consistently. They don't exist. Meanwhile, Andray continues to shoot way to flat-looking a ball, and I believe make a poor percentage of his jumpers (can someone tell me where to find this).

Andray would be so much better if he just perfected the 15-18 foot face-up J off the pass, like a PJ Brown, Horace Grant, or Haslem. All his over-dribbling creates unnecessary risk and leads to turnovers.

Blatche makes some highlight plays for sure, but he'd be a much better player if he simplified his game and became more consistent. I think Javale can play the 4 down the road, but not because of anything I've seen Blatche do.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 5, 2009 2:20 am

Blatche's eFG% on jumpers is .348.

For comparison:
Joe Smith .427.
Drew Gooden .412.
Udonis Haslem .429.
Marcus Camby .353.
Kenyon Martin .373.
Darius Songaila .458
Jared Jeffries .264 (just had to throw that in there for comic relief)
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#20 » by fishercob » Sun Apr 5, 2009 2:21 am

Thanks nate. Where do you grab that from?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards