4%

Total votes: 83

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Wizards Reach Deal With Saunders - 4yr/18mil 

Post#121 » by fishercob » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:38 am

Kanyewest wrote:
fishercob wrote:I care less about the opnions of those who write about hoops than of those who work in it -- players, coaches, execs, etc. Hands makes a good point that this organization was once viewed as a cracker jack outfit; this hire seems to suggest that in the the process of changing.

Signing a high profiled coaches doesn't necessarily lead to sucess like Mike Dunleavy signing with the Clippers or Larry Brown signing with the Knicks. I'm going to take what players have to say about the moves with a grain of salt, especially the current ones in Washington who have not been coached by Flip Saunders. Most players are going to be diplomatic. I can't imagine Richard Hamilton saying that Flip Saunders is a terrible coach to the national media. Remember, most players speak with a flilter unlike Gilbert Arenas.

No one is saying that signing a high profile coach inherently leads to success. I'm saying that its emblematic of the fact the Wizards no longer seem to carry a "second rate" tag that would preclude them from being able to land a first class coach. And being perceived as first class -- or at least not as second class -- in league circles can only be a good thing.

And Mike Dunleavy? Seriously?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#122 » by Tyrone Messby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 pm

a
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#123 » by Tyrone Messby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:58 pm

hands11 wrote:

We have improved enough in talent and reputation of front office to attract a top coach.

This is something that used to be debated a lot. When we added EJ, that was the category of coach we were able to attract and he was probably at the top of that category.

Now, we are playing in a different field. Adding Flip not only proves that, it reinforces that. As long as he is treated fairly by EG and has some success, there is no reason why we wouldn't be able to pick from the same front line category of coaches available the next time we need a head coach. If and when that time comes.

Amen.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#124 » by Kanyewest » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:39 pm

fishercob wrote:No one is saying that signing a high profile coach inherently leads to success. I'm saying that its emblematic of the fact the Wizards no longer seem to carry a "second rate" tag that would preclude them from being able to land a first class coach. And being perceived as first class -- or at least not as second class -- in league circles can only be a good thing.

And Mike Dunleavy? Seriously?

BTW, I belive Michael Jordan as a GM and a player was the one who turned this franchise from a mom and pop store to proffesional franchise. Despite some horrific trades, he began hiring more scouts that a normal NBA franchise would hire . Even the Doug Collins hiring was a change of pace to what the Wizards did before.

The second rate tag will end once the Wizards start winning games deep into the playoffs. Until the Wizards start winning a championship, they will always be considered 2nd rate to teams like Boston, LA, and San Antiono.

Mike Dunleavy has had more playoff success than Flip Saunders- I believe at least 2 conference finals trips and a trip to the NBA finals. However, going to the Clippers has utterly destroyed his reputation among fans.

I hope the Flip Saunders trade works out. But I don't see this necessarily being the missing piece that will get the Wizards to the 2nd round. Getting the #1 pick in the draft would certainly help that cause more.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#125 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:39 pm

MN fan here. Wanted to drop by and see the reaction on the hiring of one of our old coaches and a fan of Flip. He currently resides in MN and makes appearances on the local sports radio shows and such. Not sure on what is kosher with links and what not, but here is a segment with Saunders on the MN sports station. KFAN.com is where I found the podcast under the Barreiro show on 4/15, a little ways down the page. I don't think it is too outdated being from Wednesday. At the 7:50 mark he talks about the Wizards job and talks about the team a bit. It is probably about 2 minutes of talking on the Wizard position and is mainly nuetral and non-comittal as he must be. If you listen to some of the rest of the segment he is asked about general basketball, prospects, etc. Some of it is Wolves slanted, but you should get an idea of what he is thinking in general if interested. The whole thing is about 42 minutes, and again, there is a lot of other stuff tossed in there, but a good amount of Saunders talking basketball.

http://kfan.com/cc-common/podcast/singl ... rreiro.xml

I think Saunders would be a pretty solid fit if he ends up in Washington. His offense is often based on solid jump shooting (which you have) and he really excels at getting the most out of PG's (Marbury, T. Brandon, Cassel, Billups) and it would be scary to see what Arenas could become. He does like to use zone defensive schemes (as noted by another) and though his teams play decent defense, he is more well known for his offesive sets. Again, I think a real solid fit.

On another note, the year MN made the long run into the playoffs (long for us) and lost to the Lakers was a year when, during the playoffs our PG (Cassell) and back up PG (Hudson) both ended up injured and not playing in the post season. Our third string PG was brutal and MN ended up relying on KG to run alot of the point duties. Hard to criticize a coach when he loses the personal to really run the team.

Regardless, good luck and enjoy the offseason.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#126 » by DallasShalDune » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Winter Wonder wrote:MN fan here. Wanted to drop by and see the reaction on the hiring of one of our old coaches and a fan of Flip. He currently resides in MN and makes appearances on the local sports radio shows and such. Not sure on what is kosher with links and what not, but here is a segment with Saunders on the MN sports station. KFAN.com is where I found the podcast under the Barreiro show on 4/15, a little ways down the page. I don't think it is too outdated being from Wednesday. At the 7:50 mark he talks about the Wizards job and talks about the team a bit. It is probably about 2 minutes of talking on the Wizard position and is mainly nuetral and non-comittal as he must be. If you listen to some of the rest of the segment he is asked about general basketball, prospects, etc. Some of it is Wolves slanted, but you should get an idea of what he is thinking in general if interested. The whole thing is about 42 minutes, and again, there is a lot of other stuff tossed in there, but a good amount of Saunders talking basketball.

I think Saunders would be a pretty solid fit if he ends up in Washington. His offense is often based on solid jump shooting (which you have) and he really excels at getting the most out of PG's (Marbury, T. Brandon, Cassel, Billups) and it would be scary to see what Arenas could become. He does like to use zone defensive schemes (as noted by another) and though his teams play decent defense, he is more well known for his offesive sets. Again, I think a real solid fit.

On another note, the year MN made the long run into the playoffs (long for us) and lost to the Lakers was a year when, during the playoffs our PG (Cassell) and back up PG (Hudson) both ended up injured and not playing in the post season. Our third string PG was brutal and MN ended up relying on KG to run alot of the point duties. Hard to criticize a coach when he loses the personal to really run the team.

Thanks for the heads up and well wishes. Same for you guys. Hope Al is beast for you all. He's a tear in the post.

I'm thinking that Flip was a good pick up. I ignorantly wished that he wouldn't come here, because I equally as ignorantly blamed him for the Pistons not returning to the finals. I think with a cooperative Arenas (as opposed to a uncooperative Ben Wallace and Sheed Wallace) will help him get past that hump of conference finals with a few personnel moves and some maturation on the part of our team. Oh yeah, and defense!
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#127 » by fishercob » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:11 am

Winter Wonder wrote:MN fan here. Wanted to drop by and see the reaction on the hiring of one of our old coaches and a fan of Flip. He currently resides in MN and makes appearances on the local sports radio shows and such. Not sure on what is kosher with links and what not, but here is a segment with Saunders on the MN sports station. KFAN.com is where I found the podcast under the Barreiro show on 4/15, a little ways down the page. I don't think it is too outdated being from Wednesday. At the 7:50 mark he talks about the Wizards job and talks about the team a bit. It is probably about 2 minutes of talking on the Wizard position and is mainly nuetral and non-comittal as he must be. If you listen to some of the rest of the segment he is asked about general basketball, prospects, etc. Some of it is Wolves slanted, but you should get an idea of what he is thinking in general if interested. The whole thing is about 42 minutes, and again, there is a lot of other stuff tossed in there, but a good amount of Saunders talking basketball.

Thanks for posting this WW. I really like Flip's demeanor from listening to him. He's diplomatic as the situation calls for, but very honest in his assessment of the desirability of the Wiz job and of the draft prospects.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#128 » by yungal07 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm

After seeing this, I'm not so sure Gilbert and Flip would get along too well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owpC3hID ... r_embedded

:laugh:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#129 » by Kanyewest » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:04 pm

yungal07 wrote:After seeing this, I'm not so sure Gilbert and Flip would get along too well:

Flip was just upset that the Pistons get a technical and Gilbert missing free throw indicated that the ref shouldn't have given one out.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#130 » by yungal07 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
yungal07 wrote:After seeing this, I'm not so sure Gilbert and Flip would get along too well:

Flip was just upset that the Pistons get a technical and Gilbert missing free throw indicated that the ref shouldn't have given one out.

Yea I know. I just found that particular clip funny.
Pitbull
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Re: Wizards Reach Deal With Saunders - 4yr/19mil 

Post#131 » by Pitbull » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:38 am

newslowsad
Veteran

Post#132 » by newslowsad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:57 am

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#133 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:26 am

Other notable Flips: Flip Murray, Flip Wilson, Flip Flop.
In Rizzo we trust
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#134 » by pancakes3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 am

Bullets -> Wizards
Pitbull
Pro Prospect

Post#135 » by Pitbull » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:37 am

pancakes3 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4088586

Everyone is towing the company line for the time being. Hell, if I had a dollar for every time I heard about the Wiz's renewed commitment to defense during the off-season..........

For some reason I believe it this time around, though. Call me a sucker... :banghead:
omegatronic3
Junior
And1: 5

Post#136 » by omegatronic3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:50 am

im not overly excited about this...but its probably an upgrade from what were used to.

A bad defensive team like us can probably benefit from zone d so thats a good fit.

Flip isa good regular season coach who tends to choke in the big games..but hey if he can get us to a big game thatll be a plus.

I think Cassell will be cool having around. The guy is a non stop talker and a local guy
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#137 » by miller31time » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:54 am

Pitbull wrote:

Everyone is towing the company line for the time being. Hell, if I had a dollar for every time I heard about the Wiz's renewed commitment to defense during the off-season..........

For some reason I believe it this time around, though. Call me a sucker... :banghead:

Sucker.

:D
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#138 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:09 am

Pitbull wrote:

But how many time has that been with a top notch proven coach leading the way?

Gil says this is the first time he will be playing a true PG. One thing that translates to is the bigs getting feed and that leads to getting pumped up which leads to more effort on D.

Haywood was a monster in the few games he played this year.
DSong was all effort all yeah but out of position.
Nick turned on the D this year also.
DMAC can D
Blatche is not a center so he was out of position also.

Now we just need Flip to install his system so we are doing something that makes better sense. I think he can get AJ, CB and Gil to contribute in this zone man D.
Pass_The_Sticks
Sophomore

Post#139 » by Pass_The_Sticks » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Press Conference is on ESPN now.
Capitals.Orioles.Ravens.Wizards
Pitbull
Pro Prospect

Post#140 » by Pitbull » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:24 pm

miller31time wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

Sucker.

:D

Hook, line, and sinker... Listening to Flip's conference right now and my heart's all aflutter. Eff it... I'm going to be the first to officially jump on the Flip Saunders man-crush wagon. It may only last until the second Vegas Summer League game, but I'm leading the charge 'til then! :rock:

Return to Washington Wizards