ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Might be moving to the DC/Balitmore area

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

OT: Might be moving to the DC/Balitmore area 

Post#1 » by deeney0 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:27 am

Hey guys. I got a job offer today in Martinsburg and I was wondering if any of you have any particular insight on the Frederick/Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Eastern West Virginia area that I should take into consideration.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Re: OT: Might be moving to the DC/Balitmore area 

Post#2 » by daSwami » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:39 pm

deeney0 wrote:Hey guys. I got a job offer today in Martinsburg and I was wondering if any of you have any particular insight on the Frederick/Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Eastern West Virginia area that I should take into consideration.

Frederick is actually a pretty cool town, decent restaurant/bar/shopping scene in old town Frederick. They also have a minor league baseball team.

Other than that, all I can say is if you're 'white trash averse" you might want to consider moving elsewhere. Not a whole lot in the way of "culture" in those places, although I used to pick some pretty righteous mushrooms in a field near Martinsburg.
:banghead:
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#3 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Leesburg, Virginia is a beautiful city, only about 45 min from Washington (without traffic), and a half an hour or so from Martinsburg. It'll be more expensive then Frederick, but I know Loudoun county schools are highly ranked within the state of Virginia so if you have kids, or have plans for kids that should be a consideration. It's also pretty developed so it's not trashy and you'll have all the stores/malls/entertainment you'll need. It's a little more country than suburban, but If I were to move back east I'd consider that area.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#4 » by closg00 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Yeah!!! Someone is getting a job in this economy.

Where you might decide to live depends on what kind of lifestyle you want. You gotta give-up more info about you &the job. One things for sure, you be all alone as a Wolves fan out this way.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#5 » by deeney0 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:09 am

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've gathered its not exactly a place for one who may be white trash adverse, but it's my best option after graduation and, other than location, it is a good job. Beats moving back home. I've no kids, and no specific questions, I was just wondering what impressions you guys had of the area. I'm glad to hear there is a bar scene in Frederick, I have a fear I will have difficulty meeting other early 20's college graduates.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#6 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 am

If you're not white trash adverse, you may want to consider the quaint town of Walkersville in Frederick County, where you can throw back a few Natty Boh's with your boy Michael Shoemaker (assuming his bid at County is up):

Full Story
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Post#7 » by He Hate Me » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Fredneck is a fine town. Has good food caferterias and drinkeries. A top notch general store. Tackle n Bait shop is 'quipped to handle most yer needs, I reckon. Good folk round those parts truly. Other middle aged folk attend the university in town too, so meetin and greetin might be handy in Fredneck, but not so much those other settlin's.
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#8 » by gesa2 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 pm

As somebody who lived in Northern Virginia for 8 years (Fairfax for 3, Manassas for 6) then moved to Ashland KY, I've got to say that the hick factor in Frederick and Leesburg is a relative thing. Like others have said, where you would like ot live will depend on what your needs are. If you have or will have school age kids, or like to be closer to DC or at least the better restaurants/nightlife/live sports/comedy/theater that the near suburbs offer, then Leesburg or Frederick would do. They're both mostly suburban spraul overlaid on interesting historic small towns. If you wanted to, you could get some land and maybe even a nice view from your porch in Martinsburg or thereabouts, but don't expect a great restaurant 20 minutes from your house, and the school system won't be as strong. Taxes are signif lower in WV than MD or VA too.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#9 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:46 am

He Hate Me wrote:Fredneck is a fine town. Has good food caferterias and drinkeries. A top notch general store. Tackle n Bait shop is 'quipped to handle most yer needs, I reckon. Good folk round those parts truly. Other middle aged folk attend the university in town too, so meetin and greetin might be handy in Fredneck, but not so much those other settlin's.

Great post that was overlooked :lol: :lol: :lol:
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#10 » by cdouglas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:55 pm

gesa2 wrote:As somebody who lived in Northern Virginia for 8 years (Fairfax for 3, Manassas for 6) then moved to Ashland KY, I've got to say that the hick factor in Frederick and Leesburg is a relative thing. Like others have said, where you would like ot live will depend on what your needs are. If you have or will have school age kids, or like to be closer to DC or at least the better restaurants/nightlife/live sports/comedy/theater that the near suburbs offer, then Leesburg or Frederick would do. They're both mostly suburban spraul overlaid on interesting historic small towns. If you wanted to, you could get some land and maybe even a nice view from your porch in Martinsburg or thereabouts, but don't expect a great restaurant 20 minutes from your house, and the school system won't be as strong. Taxes are signif lower in WV than MD or VA too.

How's Ashland , KY?
gesa2
Rookie

Post#11 » by gesa2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:28 pm

It's fine. Small town, only about 25,000 across the Big Sandy river from Huntington, WV(which is only about 250,000 itself). Chain restaurants, movie theaters, and tractor pulls (jk!) are about all there is to do here. I'm 44 with 3 teenage daughters so have no real social life anyways. Small towns aren't a bad place to raise kids, less trouble for them to get into. And the cost of living is way, WAY less than Haymarket was. No housing boom here! Of course, they'll all have to leave to go to college or find work eventually. Live pro basketball is the biggest thing I miss about DC besides the friends I still have there. I had a 10 game package every year from about 1992-1999, saw all the glory that was Rex Chapman, Gheorge, etc. Put in my time, invested in the team, then left before we started getting good again.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#12 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 pm

deeney0 wrote:Hey guys. I got a job offer today in Martinsburg and I was wondering if any of you have any particular insight on the Frederick/Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Eastern West Virginia area that I should take into consideration.

As was mentioned, "redneck" is a relative term. Those areas are probably pretty modern compared to other places in the mid-west or south. Many in those areas commute to DC or the I-270 technology corridor (Montgomery County MD) every day for work. I work with folks from Frederick, Hagerstown, and as far away as PA. They live out that way cuz they can get more house for their buck but my point is that you won't be living with all hicks.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#13 » by deeney0 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:42 pm

Accepted it today. Thanks for all the advice, guys.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#14 » by BigA » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 pm

deeney0 wrote:Accepted it today. Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Good luck. My views jibe with other folks. A number of nice places to live out that way. I prefer being closer in myself.
gesa2
Rookie

Post#15 » by gesa2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:30 am

Congratulations! Now you have to start rooting for the Wizards. You can use the Flip connection to make your transition easier. I hope you like the area.

Return to Washington Wizards