ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards and Player Development

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Wizards and Player Development 

Post#61 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:One more comment about your article: As you pointed out, Oden is better than the critics would have you believe.

I'd take Javale over him right now because of the injuries and because I think Oden's about 10-15 lbs too massive for his own health's sake. Also, his lateral moves are ponderously slow, particularly on defense. However, once he gets comfortable in the paint, watch out! I see Oden getting more and more confident. Just needs to stay healthy.

Looking at Javale, Brook Lopez, and Greg Oden, it's very early in the game to say this but I believe we're seeing the return to an era of dominating big men. No coincidence at all they've got historically high rookie PERs for Cs. Another big kid who didn't make your list who I think is really good is DeAndre Jordan of the Clippers. Big Roy Hibbert's a little too foul prone, but will be a big time scorer once he can stay on the court.

Agreed. I just posted that recently only I said, the Big man and PG. No doubt it is to early to say it because I posted it and I usually say thing early :) But yeah, we are seeing the same thing. But don't leave out the PG. Look at the years we went through without any good one coming out of college. Everyone was a SG/PG because that was what got paid and kids were coming out early. Like good center, PG take long to grow if they are going to be great NBA PGs. The AI era is over. Now it's coming full circle. They may be PG who can score more but they are learning they need to be PG first.

But the return of the big man is directly connected to the return of the PG. This has been my mantra for the Wiz for a while. Haywood, Blatche, etc would have given us more if they had someone feeding them the ball so they could develop and get more easy dunks. Look at what CP can do with that bum from Chicago. Great passing PG makes everyone better but only the center lives and dies by them. A lot of PFs can dibble to the rack or shoot from outside. SF and SG better be able to but a center needs to have someone feed him the rock. Show us what you got Gil. Make your teammates starts and your be the bigs star for doing it.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#62 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Speaking of PGs, I did the same kind of look at Crittenton, but the results weren't as cheery.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,348

Post#63 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Speaking of PGs, I did the same kind of look at Crittenton, but the results weren't as cheery.

Sadly, I agree with your analysis. I panned the trade when it first happened and nothing since has changed my mind. He's just not very good.
eltacoman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#64 » by eltacoman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Mcgee is a blessing i hope Ernie can see what a special player he has in Mcgee and gets the kid some help he needs a big man coach Mentor .... just like LA did with Bynum and Orlando did with Howard and Huston did with Yao ... we need to do that for Mcgee ... spend some money to develop our bigs Patric Ewing would be nice i think or someone that has a good record of devoloping bigs ... ohh yeah and i really hope that Flip brings in Cassel too he would be great for Javaris and Nick Gil too
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#65 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:35 pm

To tell you the truth, I was never much impressed with Patrick Ewing's big man game. He spent most of his career as a jumpshooter and was only a fearsome defender in the first two seasons of his career.

I think the idea of getting some ex-superstar as a mentor is highly overrated. Ewing was good, not because he had a better understanding of the center position than everybody else. Ewing was good because he was extremely well-coordinated, athletic and strong for a 7-footer. None of those characteristics are needed to be a good coach.

I'm sure there are any number of smart, former NBA journeymen (or even former college players) who know as much if not more about low post play than Patrick Ewing but were simply to short, slow, or unathletic to take advantage of their basketball IQ. There's no need to narrow the pool of potential candidates down to guys who once had the requisite size and athleticism to star at the NBA level.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#66 » by Benjammin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:39 pm

I loved the way Patrick played in college, challenging shots all over the court and being a defensive terror. With the Knicks he was a very effective player and good jump shooter, but he wasn't an amazing defensive presence. He could shuffle his feet with the best of them, though.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#67 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Here's a thought that may not be entirely insane. For a big man coach, how about Kevin McHale? No one -- lemme repeat NO ONE -- had a better post game than McHale. He's likely to be looking for a job pretty soon since the Twolves are going to hire a GM, and McHale isn't going to be coaching there once that happens. Plus, McHale and Flip are ooooooooold friends -- Flip got his first head coaching job from McHale, and might not have gotten one at all but for McHale.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#68 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Flip+Sam+McHale+health = championship!

:clap:
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#69 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:Speaking of PGs, I did the same kind of look at Crittenton, but the results weren't as cheery.

Sadly, I agree with your analysis. I panned the trade when it first happened and nothing since has changed my mind. He's just not very good.

Yeah, when "best case" is Ty Lue or Alvin Williams, it ain't all that promising. The kid needs a jumper in the worst way.

By the way, I just did a quick look at whether guys improve their shooting, using 3pt% as a proxy. I looked only over the past 10 years, because that's when 3pt shooting really "took off." 18 guards attempted at least 50 3s in their first 2 seasons with a percentage at 25% or below. A handful turned into a competent 3pt shooter later in their career (consistent 33% or better from 3)-- Larry Hughes, Dion Glover, CJ Miles.

Go back another 10 years and the list doubles. That doubling adds Bobby Hurley, Eric Murdock, Haywoode Workman, Howard Eisley, Mookie Blaylock, Dee Brown (the dunk contest one, not the guy who started for the Wizards this season), and Greg Anthony. A caveat on this later list, though -- some of them "improved" when the 3pt line moved in, then...umm..."unimproved" when the line moved back out.

I think the first list is probably the better guide: basically a 1-in-6 chance that Crittenton can develop a reliable jumper. Add in the 2nd list and the floating 3pt line, and the odds improve to about 1-in-4.

As an executive for a team once told me when I said that Antonio Daniels would be great if he only had a jumper: "If he had a jumper you guys wouldn't have got him for the MLE."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#70 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm sure there are any number of smart, former NBA journeymen (or even former college players) who know as much if not more about low post play than Patrick Ewing but were simply to short, slow, or unathletic to take advantage of their basketball IQ. There's no need to narrow the pool of potential candidates down to guys who once had the requisite size and athleticism to star at the NBA level.

Popeye Jones anyone? I think he's already coaching somewhere now but maybe Flip can pluck him from whereever he is and add him to the Wiz staff.
eltacoman
Junior

Post#71 » by eltacoman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:43 pm

yeah Patric Chewings game is not like Mcgees but Howard was not also im just hoping we can get him a good big man coach mentor like so many teams did for there high potentail bigs .... what about Mutambo he can show Mcgee how to D up :D he got hurt bad and i think he is just going to retire he loves the game to much to leave now maybe he would like to pass his defensive torch to Mcgee :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#72 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:51 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Here's a thought that may not be entirely insane. For a big man coach, how about Kevin McHale? No one -- lemme repeat NO ONE -- had a better post game than McHale. He's likely to be looking for a job pretty soon since the Twolves are going to hire a GM, and McHale isn't going to be coaching there once that happens. Plus, McHale and Flip are ooooooooold friends -- Flip got his first head coaching job from McHale, and might not have gotten one at all but for McHale.

Agreed. McHale mastered the low post game like no other player in NBA history. I doubt his ego would let him take the demotion from President of Basketball Operations/Head Coach to Big Man Coach, but it can't hurt to ask.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#73 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:54 pm

McHale's ego has already taken some serious hits in Minnesota. He once had complete autonomy to run the organization. First, the owner forced McHale to check every decision with ownership first. Then forced him to coach (if he wanted to stay employed). Then took away his GM job and told him he'd report to the new guy -- IF the new guy wanted him. But McHale has remained with the Twolves through all that. I think he can take the blow to be an assistant with the Wiz. The real question is whether he'd be willing to leave Minnesota.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

eltacoman
Junior

Post#74 » by eltacoman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Mchale would be good too he seems like he could be a very good teacher... but yeah i also think his ego would not let himself be a assistant coach not yet ... he might just want to take some time off he must be very frustrated how everything went down in minny
eltacoman
Junior

Post#75 » by eltacoman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:08 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm sure there are any number of smart, former NBA journeymen (or even former college players) who know as much if not more about low post play than Patrick Ewing but were simply to short, slow, or unathletic to take advantage of their basketball IQ. There's no need to narrow the pool of potential candidates down to guys who once had the requisite size and athleticism to star at the NBA level.

Popeye Jones anyone? I think he's already coaching somewhere now but maybe Flip can pluck him from whereever he is and add him to the Wiz staff.

:lol: or Denis Rodmen or ed tapscat lol you never know Popeye might be a coach one day :D

but seriusly what about Mutambo he was Devensive Player of the year a bunch of times he could show Mcgee and Blatch how to play Defence he could pass on the waiving of the finger to our bigs :D

also Alanzo Morning would be nice to
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#76 » by keynote » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:13 pm

I've been saying for years that *Blatche* should model his game after McHale's. I don't know if McGee has displayed the body control and footwork necessary to master McHale's array of moves, but Blatche has.

As for McGee: sure, it'd be nice to have an uber-athlete who's also exceptionally crafty and skilled around the basket. Who wouldn't want a taller Olajuwon? But whereas Blatche needs to develop moves and touch to offset his lack of explosiveness, McGee won't need McHale's array of feints and up-and-unders to get his shot off in the post. Frankly, I don't want McGee's game to be that cute: I want him living in the weight room and working on three moves: drop step, jump hook, turnaround.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
dnk
Sophomore

Post#77 » by dnk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:41 am

keynote wrote:I've been saying for years that *Blatche* should model his game after McHale's. I don't know if McGee has displayed the body control and footwork necessary to master McHale's array of moves, but Blatche has.

As for McGee: sure, it'd be nice to have an uber-athlete who's also exceptionally crafty and skilled around the basket. Who wouldn't want a taller Olajuwon? But whereas Blatche needs to develop moves and touch to offset his lack of explosiveness, McGee won't need McHale's array of feints and up-and-unders to get his shot off in the post. Frankly, I don't want McGee's game to be that cute: I want him living in the weight room and working on three moves: drop step, jump hook, turnaround.

Haywood's got a very effective drop step that he can hopefully pass on to JaVale.

But I would love to see a good big man coach in D.C.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#78 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:31 am

(Edited out my quote about return to the era of dominating big men)

hands11 wrote: Agreed. I just posted that recently only I said, the Big man and PG. No doubt it is to early to say it because I posted it and I usually say thing early :) But yeah, we are seeing the same thing. But don't leave out the PG. Look at the years we went through without any good one coming out of college. Everyone was a SG/PG because that was what got paid and kids were coming out early. Like good center, PG take long to grow if they are going to be great NBA PGs. The AI era is over. Now it's coming full circle. They may be PG who can score more but they are learning they need to be PG first.

But the return of the big man is directly connected to the return of the PG. This has been my mantra for the Wiz for a while. Haywood, Blatche, etc would have given us more if they had someone feeding them the ball so they could develop and get more easy dunks. Look at what CP can do with that bum from Chicago. Great passing PG makes everyone better but only the center lives and dies by them. A lot of PFs can dibble to the rack or shoot from outside. SF and SG better be able to but a center needs to have someone feed him the rock. Show us what you got Gil. Make your teammates starts and your be the bigs star for doing it.

hands, I do believe Haywood stands to gain the most from both a better playmaking Arenas and a new coach with a fresh perspective on his abilities.

Too many years Brendan was pretty much excluded from minutes and offense. EJ began to see the light last year, as Brendan's game came on. Unfortunately, he still didn't ensure Haywood got enough touches or minutes. I expect that to change under Saunders.

I'll be curious to see how many of Gil's passes go inside to Brendan next season.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#79 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:43 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Here's a thought that may not be entirely insane. For a big man coach, how about Kevin McHale? No one -- lemme repeat NO ONE -- had a better post game than McHale. He's likely to be looking for a job pretty soon since the Twolves are going to hire a GM, and McHale isn't going to be coaching there once that happens. Plus, McHale and Flip are ooooooooold friends -- Flip got his first head coaching job from McHale, and might not have gotten one at all but for McHale.

That would make me very very happy.

Blatche just might work harder to perfect his game if he were being tutored by his idol's teacher (as was KMcH to KG). I do think McGee has the body coordination to benefit, needs only to learn fundamentals of footwork and positioning to take full advantage. Even McGuire could stand to benefit.

But my understanding is that ownership of the Twolves wants a commitment from McHale to coach again next year. Not sure it's a done deal that the new GM would call for his ouster. And If KMcH is waffling even on on that, I don't know why he'd suddenly change his mind and sit further down the bench in DC. It's not like the Wiz are paying 'Dan-Snyder-money' for assistants. (Or 'Mark Cuban dollars' even).

But, well, yeah, I'd love it.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#80 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't think there's more than a 1-in-a-million shot of McHale coming to DC. It'd be great if he did, though.

Continuing my tour of Wiz youngsters over at my blog. Latest look is at Nick Young. Does he remind anyone of Trent Tucker?
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Return to Washington Wizards