Post#2 » by closg00 » Thu May 7, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks, wouldn't have known about it. :rock:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: Haywood chatting today at 2:00 on espn 

Post#3 » by nate33 » Thu May 7, 2009 6:38 pm

Shawn (NY): What are the Wizards biggest needs this off-season?

Brendan Haywood: (2:12 PM ET ) I think our biggest need is a backup power forward and a magic wand that will help everybody stay healthy.

WTF?

Is that a shot at Blatche, Songaila, or both? I'd say that backup power forward is our strongest backup position.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Post#4 » by Benjammin » Thu May 7, 2009 6:41 pm

nate33 wrote:

Brendan Haywood: (2:12 PM ET ) I think our biggest need is a backup power forward and a magic wand that will help everybody stay healthy.

WTF?

Is that a shot at Blatche, Songaila, or both? I'd say that backup power forward is our strongest backup position.

Maybe it's Brendan craftily suggesting that we really need a starting PF but he didn't want to call out his buddy "el capitain".
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#5 » by MJG » Thu May 7, 2009 6:47 pm

nate33 wrote:

WTF?

Well, Blatche has been playing center for the past two years now, so I could see him not being taken into consideration with the comment. Even still, Songaila is hardly a wretch if he's actually playing the 14-16 MPG backup role that he should be. Not sure what Haywood means at all there.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#6 » by Dat2U » Thu May 7, 2009 7:04 pm

I think he's admitting that the team needs more help upfront. Of course he's not going to call out his friend Antawn but right now Haywood is the only quality defender we have in the paint. I think if you cornered him on that answer he'd say a guy that could defend PFs off the bench.

As much as some like Songaila, defense is not his strong suite, even at the PF position.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#7 » by fishercob » Thu May 7, 2009 7:06 pm

CL Arlington VA: When you're back on the court this fall, what can you do to help the younger big guys (Blatche, McGee) with trapping up top but still getting back on their guy in the post, something you've gotten quite good at?

Brendan Haywood: Both those guys have the skill but it come down to being in shape and wanting to do it. It's nothing I can do to help them, they have to what to do it on their own.

Another veteran throwing the kids under the bus, right?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#8 » by Dat2U » Thu May 7, 2009 7:30 pm

fishercob wrote:
CL Arlington VA: When you're back on the court this fall, what can you do to help the younger big guys (Blatche, McGee) with trapping up top but still getting back on their guy in the post, something you've gotten quite good at?

Brendan Haywood: Both those guys have the skill but it come down to being in shape and wanting to do it. It's nothing I can do to help them, they have to what to do it on their own.

I don't see the parallel b/w Wood's quote or Gil's one time comments versus Jamison's almost daily handwringing in the media about the failings of the young guys.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#9 » by BanndNDC » Thu May 7, 2009 8:02 pm

fishercob wrote:

ok, spit it out. who here asked that question?

i take the backup PF comment like Dat and Benjammin. no big deal, but nicely diplomatic.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#10 » by fishercob » Thu May 7, 2009 9:08 pm

BanndNDC wrote:
fishercob wrote:

ok, spit it out. who here asked that question?

i take the backup PF comment like Dat and Benjammin. no big deal, but nicely diplomatic.

To be clear, I was being sarcastic. I dont think it's a big deal either, nor did I think it was a big deal when Jamison -- who was in the foxhole with the kids all year -- called them out (none by name, mind you).
— Steve Martin
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#11 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 8, 2009 5:00 am

nate33 wrote:

WTF?

I think he wants Blake Griffin as the backup power forward :D
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#12 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 8, 2009 5:02 am

MJG wrote:Well, Blatche has been playing center for the past two years now, so I could see him not being taken into consideration with the comment. Even still, Songaila is hardly a wretch if he's actually playing the 14-16 MPG backup role that he should be. Not sure what Haywood means at all there.

Maybe Brendan Haywood considers D-Song a true center...
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 8, 2009 11:25 am

Kanyewest wrote:Maybe Brendan Haywood considers D-Song a true center...

I was thinking the same thing. Songaila has played in the middle so much since he's been here, maybe Wood is just used to seeing him in that role. But I do think that he was taking a shot at Blatche.

Hopefully it's a clue that they've already decided to move Blatche in the offseason. :pray:
fishercob
RealGM

Post#14 » by fishercob » Fri May 8, 2009 11:49 am

Or maybe it's more "tough love" -- part of a concerted last ditch effort from the veteran core to get Blatche to get serious.
— Steve Martin
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#15 » by MJG » Fri May 8, 2009 1:00 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
MJG wrote:Well, Blatche has been playing center for the past two years now, so I could see him not being taken into consideration with the comment. Even still, Songaila is hardly a wretch if he's actually playing the 14-16 MPG backup role that he should be. Not sure what Haywood means at all there.

Maybe Brendan Haywood considers D-Song a true center...

Ha, maybe. Really, Blatche and Songaila have spent 85% of their time at center the past year or two; from that perspective, we probably really do need a backup PF.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#16 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Fri May 8, 2009 2:47 pm

I am a 100% sure he was trying to think of a nice way to say that the key to the team's success is for Blatche to get his act together. He was almost certainly not thinking of DSong at the time, and I'm sure he is not counting his chickens until they are hatched and is not counting on getting Blake Griffin.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#17 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri May 8, 2009 3:04 pm

I think Haywood's comment is an example of why players shouldn't be general managers.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#18 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 8, 2009 4:36 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:I am a 100% sure he was trying to think of a nice way to say that the key to the team's success is for Blatche to get his act together. He was almost certainly not thinking of DSong at the time, and I'm sure he is not counting his chickens until they are hatched and is not counting on getting Blake Griffin.

Dolph from Arlington asked Brendan whom he would draft if he had the No. 1 overall pick.

BRENDAN: I think if your a GM for the Wizards, you would have to go with Blake Griffin. He's someone that can get physical and play hard. In the future he is somebody that can lead a team.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by BanndNDC » Fri May 8, 2009 5:44 pm

fishercob wrote:To be clear, I was being sarcastic. I dont think it's a big deal either, nor did I think it was a big deal when Jamison -- who was in the foxhole with the kids all year -- called them out (none by name, mind you).

sorry bout that. i took your comment as just a sarcastic aside but wanted to highlight the question you quoted (which i thought was a pretty good observation). i tried to make my comment separate (since i only added it on to avoid doing a second post) but i didnt do a good job of that.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#20 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Fri May 8, 2009 5:48 pm

Way to take my post out of context, Kanye.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.

Return to Washington Wizards