ImageImageImageImageImage

SI's Best and Worst Owners

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

SI's Best and Worst Owners 

Post#1 » by closg00 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Of-course Dan Synder is on the 5 worst NFL owners list. For better or worse, Abe is not on the best or worst NBA owners list.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/b ... index.html
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: SI's Best and Worst Owners 

Post#2 » by miller31time » Thu May 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Nice to see Steve Bisciotti make the top-5 in the NFL.

Not surprised to see Angelos as the worst owner in the MLB. I hate that man with a passion.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#3 » by verbal8 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:39 pm

If the Wizard can get healthy and make the play-offs a couple years in a row, then I think Pollin would deserve to be on the best owners list. He definitely has shown a commitment to the community over his ownership period. The only short-coming has been their performance on the court.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Agree with miller on Angelos, he's destroyed the Orioles. I don't watch hockey but I would think Ted belongs on the best list.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#5 » by verbal8 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:49 pm

I think Angelos and Lerner(5th) deserve their spots on the MLB worst owners list. It is interesting that Lerner is the only team on the list to lose value.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#6 » by fishercob » Thu May 14, 2009 5:53 pm

I spoke with a client recently who is very in the know about goings on with the Wiz and Caps. He told me that the main reason Ted bought the Caps was to get the buy option for the Wiz. They said that the original plan was for he and Lerner (who got the Nats and is a minority owner in Ted's group) to start a TV network -- but Angelos beat them to the punch.

I love Abe Pollin. Love him love him love him like a grandfather. But riding the Caps train this year, I cannot help but be stoked at the prospect of Ted taking over the Wiz. The Caps were as dead a franchise as there was in sports. There were rumblings of contracting them post-lockout. And look at them now.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#7 » by fishercob » Thu May 14, 2009 5:54 pm

verbal8 wrote:I think Angelos and Lerner(5th) deserve their spots on the MLB worst owners list. It is interesting that Lerner is the only team on the list to lose value.

The Nats are a terrible, awful team. But you have to give Lerner time. When distressed companies get bought, they don't get turned around over night. It takes years. Sam situation here. It may take a while, but I think the Lerners will get it right.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#8 » by closg00 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:20 pm

The notoriously tight-fisted duo of Robert Johnson and Michael Jordon are on the list of NBA's worst owners and deservedly so. I've read several stories of how MJ is a bad tipper, it figures that he's be a cheap owner despite paying for Wallace.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Zerocious » Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 pm

fishercob wrote:I love Abe Pollin. Love him love him love him like a grandfather. But riding the Caps train this year, I cannot help but be stoked at the prospect of Ted taking over the Wiz. The Caps were as dead a franchise as there was in sports. There were rumblings of contracting them post-lockout. And look at them now.

'Love him', love him or Love him, LOVE him, love him? That is the question.

Return to Washington Wizards