ImageImageImageImageImage

Please Grade Eddie Jordan as a Coach.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Please Grade Eddie Jordan as a Coach

A: An able strategist (X & O) guy, can maintain focus/harmony in the locker room, can develop young players, can manage stars.
12%
B: Above average coach with some strengths.
29%
C: Mediocre & run of the mill.
43%
D: Sucks.
14%
E: Sucks at everything.
2%

Total votes: 58

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Re: Please Grade Eddie Jordan as a Coach. 

Post#81 » by JWizmentality » Sat May 30, 2009 11:32 am

Good for Eddie. Congrats. Unfortunately, it won't be too long before the Fire EJ threads start up on the Philly boards. Well, it's not our headache anymore. Wouldn't it be sweet if we met Philly in the first round next year...bet Haywood would love that ish. :devil:
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#82 » by BigA » Sat May 30, 2009 12:11 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Unfortunately, it won't be too long before the Fire EJ threads start up on the Philly boards. <snip>

Probably about the same time the "fire Flip" threads start up here.
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#83 » by JWizmentality » Sat May 30, 2009 1:07 pm

BigA wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:Unfortunately, it won't be too long before the Fire EJ threads start up on the Philly boards. <snip>

After the f*****g mess EJ left this team in. I'm willing to give Flip MORE than enough leeway.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#84 » by MJG » Sat May 30, 2009 1:18 pm

BigA wrote:

My guess is that as long as Flip gives Haywood 30+ MPG and doesn't play Songaila at center constantly, the EJ ones will pop up first.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Post#85 » by DCZards » Sat May 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Dat2U wrote:Hey DCZards, I guess you'll have a new board to post on now. :wink: We'll miss ya buddy. Tell EJ that we wish him the best.

Not on your life, dat. I'm a 25 plus year Bullets/Zards fan, and a full or partial season ticket holder for close to 15 years. And I just re-upped for next season. So I'm not going anywhere. While most on this board just talk Wizards b'ball, I put my money where my mouth is!

btw, dat, I've been following the discussion on the draft thread and I must admit you've been making some of the most sound arguments.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#86 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat May 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Can't wait to see Haywood average 20 and 10 against the Sixers this year. After making fourth quarter defensive stops, I hope he looks at Jordan and does the can't feel my face

So long EFJ, your crap defense made watching basketball a chore. Thanks for way too many frustrating and heartbreaking games.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#87 » by closg00 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Watch for Philly 4th quarter collapses, EFJ's specialty.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#88 » by Sixersftw » Sat May 30, 2009 3:29 pm

closg00 wrote:Watch for Philly 4th quarter collapses, EFJ's specialty.

Ooh, that is a Sixers specialty as well. Can't wait to see two great cooks in the kitchen.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
VA_story
Junior
And1: 0

Post#89 » by VA_story » Sat May 30, 2009 4:09 pm

I was torn by the poll...

I believe is he is an above average coach but I still gave him a "C" because I couldn't think of any strengths.

My problem with E.Jordan is that he doesn't coach or enforce defense. People like Gilbert Arenas who are very capable of being a great defender have the luxury of basically "chillin" on the defensive end. Also, he let Arenas run wild. When Arenas called that NBA Live Cover press conference before our elimination game that year with impunity, I lost all respect for E.Jordan. Another thing is, he's too rigid with line-ups. It was no reason for D.Stevenson to be in the starting line-up for that long. Also, Blatche and Nick Young should have gotten more mins under Jordan.
LEADER OF THE "FIRE FLIP" CAMPAIGN
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#90 » by newslowsad » Sat May 30, 2009 5:58 pm

poor philly...
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#91 » by corwin » Sat May 30, 2009 8:22 pm

This board did it's best to inform the Philly fan base. That's why I posted the poll in the first place. I for one am extremely disappointed to have him as head coach in Philadelphia. It will be hard to watch Philly play small ball, no defense, & to see the organization treat the better players as superstars. This could ruin Iguodala. Too bad Stefanski didn't read all of this.

BTW since I'm on, are there any current players on the Wizards that he will want to trade for that your team is planning on moving?
DCZards
General Manager

Post#92 » by DCZards » Sat May 30, 2009 8:42 pm

corwin wrote:This board did it's best to inform the Philly fan base. That's why I posted the poll in the first place. I for one am extremely disappointed to have him as head coach in Philadelphia. It will be hard to watch Philly play small ball, no defense, & to see the organization treat the better players as superstars. This could ruin Iguodala. Too bad Stefanski didn't read all of this.

Stefanski would be a fool to base his coaching or personnel decisions on the opinions of fans who post on an internet discussion board. Would you if you were a GM?
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#93 » by corwin » Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Of course not. However, he stated that he wanted a defensive, blue collar type of team & has used the Detroit Pistons as an example of that. This board tells me, Stefanski, & anyone who would take the trouble to read this thread that this is not what he is getting with Eddie Jordan. I think that makes him either uniformed or a bit of a hypocrite. Of course your fans could be wrong after watching Jordon for 3 or 4 years. Personally, I think our GM is a hypocrite.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#94 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 30, 2009 9:28 pm

DCZards wrote:
corwin wrote:This board did it's best to inform the Philly fan base. That's why I posted the poll in the first place. I for one am extremely disappointed to have him as head coach in Philadelphia. It will be hard to watch Philly play small ball, no defense, & to see the organization treat the better players as superstars. This could ruin Iguodala. Too bad Stefanski didn't read all of this.

Stefanski would be a fool to base his coaching or personnel decisions on the opinions of fans who post on an internet discussion board. Would you if you were a GM?

In all honesty, YES, I'd certainly consider it one of many sources of information.

This and other blogs (Washington Post, Bullets Forever, etc.) that have lots of informed fans. If I were a GM I'd know that nate or TheSecretWeapon, and some others are very fiscally savvy. I'd know that Ruzious, Dat, doclinkin, Severn Hoos, and some others are all very wise about evaluating talent. I'd know that a lot of posters here come up with some of the most creative trade ideas you're ever going to see, like Lyrical Rico and mhd. Others, just have a way of knowing what they're talking about like pancakes3, Ced67, closq00, dobrojim, Consiglieri, and a host of others.

DCZards, I feel very strongly that way back in the day something I posted on a message board (AOL and I think, very early RealGM) contributed to two trades: Don MacLean for Robert Pack, and Jahidi White for Brevin Knight. I posted them and darned if they didn't happen right after that.

I've heard the term "Jordanaires" used on tv by Kevin Harlan and others, but I know damned well I came up with it (okay, doc, the Country and Western dudes did first, technically) as soon as MJ came on as a part owner. Enough of that rant but to say that a lot of folks DO monitor the blogs. (You know Juan, Etan, and Gil, do for sure.)

Back to EJ ...

DCZards, Ed Stefanski would be smart to have a staff member read this stuff. I still think hiring EJ was a solid move BECAUSE the man coached in DC for seven seasons and the fans ranked him mediocre. The team was ALWAYS hurt. Yet the consensus is that EJ's a classy dude. A good guy. To me, I would want a coach that's a breath of fresh air and not some kind of jerk.

Give an average coach great talent and he becomes a GOOD coach. If fans think a dude's average, that's not necessarily bad at all.

LAST RANT: I have an idea (Kev, or anybody else, here's a script for you) that one way to run a team would be fan consensus. How about having a fan's make the call team that would utilize texting on draft day and even some interactive inputs from fans during the game. Maybe have an altruistic, billionaire owner who's the antithesis of Cuban, Snyder, or Jerry Jones. Have the dude be very low key. Say he truly gives a team to the fan base:

The future of coaching and GMing could involve real-time fan inputs. ...

Just to make the story interesting, how about an angle where fans and other cooperating owners could trade guys right after a few bad games .. :)

Would that make a decent story line for a book'movie?

(No, LR, I'm not high but the brain does do a thing or two at times. :) )
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#95 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 30, 2009 9:30 pm

corwin wrote:Of course not. However, he stated that he wanted a defensive, blue collar type of team & has used the Detroit Pistons as an example of that. This board tells me, Stefanski, & anyone who would take the trouble to read this thread that this is not what he is getting with Eddie Jordan. I think that makes him either uniformed or a bit of a hypocrite. Of course your fans could be wrong after watching Jordon for 3 or 4 years. Personally, I think our GM is a hypocrite.

And he hired my man EJ? :o

Did he really say that and turn around and hire EJ?

All I got to say is EJ must have been pursuasive as all hell in the interview process! How the hell did he get that job? :lol:

(Reminds me of way back in the day I got interviewed by a woman who I thought might have been interested in me. Before the interview ended I was sitting on top of a desk in front of her. I did get that job, too.)

I guess he might have told Stefanski some things that might be true: Philly can score so much that defense won't be a problem. Iguodala will probably lead the league in steals under EJ. Good offense will beat good defense. And MAYBE EJ can say he's learned that good defensive assistants are a must, and that he's got some guys in mind.

I can't wait to see how EJ's run in Philly goes.
Bye bye Beal.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by GilArenas88 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:31 pm

:D ...Get ready to want to rip your hair out Philly fans. He seems like a nice enough guy in person, but other than that I harbor much animosity towards EMFJ. The thing that always pissed me off the most were his post game comments to the fact of why we lost games. Utterly rediculous 90% of the time.
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#97 » by JWizmentality » Sat May 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Great defensive mind???? :eek2:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#98 » by LyricalRico » Sat May 30, 2009 11:24 pm

corwin wrote:Of course not. However, he stated that he wanted a defensive, blue collar type of team & has used the Detroit Pistons as an example of that. This board tells me, Stefanski, & anyone who would take the trouble to read this thread that this is not what he is getting with Eddie Jordan. I think that makes him either uniformed or a bit of a hypocrite. Of course your fans could be wrong after watching Jordon for 3 or 4 years. Personally, I think our GM is a hypocrite.

Wow, does EJ know how to use the Jedi mind trick? And if EJ is able to convince a guy who's looking for defense to hire him - you'd better start praying that whatever spell EJ is using doesn't also give him say in personnel matters.

This is the guy who routinely benched a productive Brendan Haywood in favor of fringe player Michael Ruffin, and then when Haywood didn't like it, wanted to trade him for a bag of beans. This is also the guy who, in a summer when guys like Arenas and Odom were available, wanted the team to sign Kevin Ollie to be his starting PG. KEVIN FREAKING OLLIE!!!

Thankfully for us our GM didn't give in to EJ's whims. But Grunfeld didn't hire EJ so he wasn't his guy to begin with. You'd better hope that your GM is willing to stand up to his own hire. But just in case, I hope Grunfeld is on the phone offering guards for Elton Brand. :wink:
Mr. Grundle
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#99 » by Mr. Grundle » Sat May 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Get ready to see a whole lot of Elton Brand and Reggie Evans at center while Dalembert rides the pine. Lou Williams will flourish just like Larry Hughes did and A.I. should see a few all-star games. E.J. is actually a good fit for them offensively with all their athleticism and ability to run. They got a true PG in Miller which EJ always coveted. But apparently nobody considered the negative defensive impact EJ brings along with him. Philly will continue it's ride of mediocrity but it should be fun to watch.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#100 » by DCZards » Sun May 31, 2009 1:19 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
This and other blogs (Washington Post, Bullets Forever, etc.) that have lots of informed fans. If I were a GM I'd know that nate or TheSecretWeapon, and some others are very fiscally savvy. I'd know that Ruzious, Dat, doclinkin, Severn Hoos, and some others are all very wise about evaluating talent. I'd know that a lot of posters here come up with some of the most creative trade ideas you're ever going to see, like Lyrical Rico and mhd. Others, just have a way of knowing what they're talking about like pancakes3, Ced67, closq00, dobrojim, Consiglieri, and a host of others.

ccj, i agree there are many informed and helpful voices on this board. You mentioned a few in your post. I read and have a high degree of respect for posters like doc, nate, ruzios, secret weapon, kayne and many others. And, while dat and I disagree strongly about EJ, he's a smart dude.

As for the value of our comments to a GM. Maybe a little. At the end of the day, I'm talking to players, scouts and other team's front office personnel to get a read on a prospective coach or player. I'm also relying on my own personal experience when judging an individual and their abilities. I don't think anyone on this board (or the sixers board for that matter) has worked as closely with EJ as Stefanski has.

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:DCZards, Ed Stefanski would be smart to have a staff member read this stuff. I still think hiring EJ was a solid move BECAUSE the man coached in DC for seven seasons and the fans ranked him mediocre. The team was ALWAYS hurt. Yet the consensus is that EJ's a classy dude. A good guy. To me, I would want a coach that's a breath of fresh air and not some kind of jerk.

You and I mostly agree about EJ. At least you recognize, it was health more than scheme that doomed EJ's stay here.

Return to Washington Wizards