Measurements realeased 

Post#1 » by BruceO » Fri May 29, 2009 3:17 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Re: Measurements realeased 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Crap. Stephan Curry is just 6-2 without shoes and has alligator arms. There is no potential for him to play SG, even if he grows another inch. He's a PG only. On the other hand, this increases the likelihood that he slips down to 9 or below, making him available in a tradedown scenario.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by nate33 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Griffin is a legit 6-8.5 with no shoes. No tweener issues there.

I'm a little surprised at Henderson's wingspan. He looks to me to have freakishly long, Nick Young style arms, but his wingspan is actually slightly shorter than Hardin and Evans (though it's still pretty long).

Thabeet's standing reach is less than Haywood's. Didn't Haywood go with the #20 pick? And that's with a much larger frame, a more polished game, and UNC name recognition. This is an extremely weak draft for big men.

Johnny Flynn and Ty Lawson are just a hair shy of 6' without shoes. That's tall enough to play starting PG in today's NBA.

Blair is just 6-5.25 without shoes. That's SG height. Yes he has a freakish wingspan, but 6-5 is pretty damn short.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#4 » by miller31time » Fri May 29, 2009 3:33 pm

I don't see why New York would pass on Curry, 6-2 or not.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#5 » by fishercob » Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm

BruceO wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Measurements-released-3236/

WizNasty's basement has to be a scary place right now. Scented candles, oils...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#6 » by doclinkin » Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm

nate33 wrote:Griffin is a legit 6-8.5 with no shoes. No tweener issues there.

I'm a little surprised at Henderson's wingspan. He looks to me to have freakishly long, Nick Young style arms, but his wingspan is actually slightly shorter than Hardin and Evans (though it's still pretty long).

Thabeet's standing reach is less than Haywood's. Didn't Haywood go with the #20 pick? And that's with a much larger frame, a more polished game, and UNC name recognition. This is an extremely weak draft for big men.

Johnny Flynn and Ty Lawson are just a hair shy of 6' without shoes. That's tall enough to play starting PG in today's NBA.

Blair is just 6-5.25 without shoes. That's SG height. Yes he has a freakish wingspan, but 6-5 is pretty damn short.

On Blair: Not just freakish wingspan, freakish reach, which is more important. The long-armed big bodies tend to continue to rebound well in the NBA: low center of gravity, good leverage. And speaking of center of gravity, at 277lbs he has the gravity to attract small moons to his orbit...
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#7 » by fishercob » Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Blair's reach only exceeds Hansbrough's by half an inch. I'd love to grab Tyler as our backup PF of the future, if we can get him in the late first or second round.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:20 pm

fishercob wrote:
BruceO wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Measurements-released-3236/

WizNasty's basement has to be a scary place right now. Scented candles, oils...

:lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by nate33 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Hmmm.

I thought the knock on Wayne Ellington was that he was a 6-3ish SG who was to short to play the position in the pros. He measured out to be a hair taller than Henderson and Hardin, though his wingspan is sub-par.

Hansbrough looks like a potential late round steal. Hansbrough always seemed to me to be a bit longer than popular perception. I'm glad to see that the measurements bear it out. He might turn out to be a starting-quality PF in this league. Why couldn't he have the impact of a guy like Carlos Boozer, or at least a David Lee?

I also think Sam Young is going to be a solid pro.

And doc, you are right about Blair. He is short but his standing reach is adequate for an NBA PF. Man, them are some long arms.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 29, 2009 4:49 pm

fishercob wrote:Blair's reach only exceeds Hansbrough's by half an inch. I'd love to grab Tyler as our backup PF of the future, if we can get him in the late first or second round.

Hansbrough measuring out with legit PF size really helps him. I don't think he drops to the second round now, and he might go as high as #24 to Portland (who needs a backup PF). The Mavs may take a look at #22 but they may go for the potential of Lawal instead.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#11 » by barelyawake » Fri May 29, 2009 5:31 pm

nate33 wrote:I also think Sam Young is going to be a solid pro.

I still say, now that Tyler Smith is going to the 2010 draft, that Sam Young is the steal of the draft. And still say trading down for him (especially if he's still at the 25 as he has been listed for months); cap relief; and a good vet with championship experience would make this a great offseason (considering).
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#12 » by mhd » Fri May 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Jordan Hill with impressive numbers. 6'10 in shoes with a wingspan of 7'2 (same as Blair) and a reach of 9 (better than Blair).
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#13 » by keynote » Fri May 29, 2009 6:42 pm

A silly question:
Do they make everyone wear the same shoes for measurement purposes? I mean, sure, there might be tiny variations in sole and sock thickness, but what's to stop a prospect from pulling an Olivia from The Cosby Show and adding a few tissues in there to boost the "with shoes" measurement? I mean, why bother with the shoes measurement at all?

Look at the deltas here. James Johnson and Chase Budginger's shoes only add .75 inches to their respective heights. But DeMarre Carroll and Blake Griffin gain a full 1.5 inches?

Meanwhile, Eric Maynor must be playing in sandals while standing in quick-sand, 'cause he *lost* 1.75 inches by putting on his shoes (a typo, I'm sure).

So again, I repeat: why bother with the shoes measurement at all?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:46 pm

keynote wrote:A silly question:
Do they make everyone wear the same shoes for measurement purposes? I mean, sure, there might be tiny variations in sole and sock thickness, but what's to stop a prospect from pulling an Olivia from The Cosby Show and adding a few tissues in there to boost the "with shoes" measurement? I mean, why bother with the shoes measurement at all?

Look at the deltas here. James Johnson and Chase Budginger's shoes only add .75 inches to their respective heights. But DeMarre Carroll and Blake Griffin gain a full 1.5 inches?

Meanwhile, Eric Maynor must be playing in sandals while standing in quick-sand, 'cause he *lost* 1.75 inches by putting on his shoes (a typo, I'm sure).

So again, I repeat: why bother with the shoes measurement at all?

I don't even look at them. I look at the no shoes measurement and add an inch.
keynote
General Manager

Post#15 » by keynote » Fri May 29, 2009 6:47 pm

As an example, look at Luke Harangody, PF from Notre Dame. Solid college player, but there are a lot of question marks about his size and athleticism, and he doesn't the long arms to offset his lack of height. So, of course, he happens to pick kicks with super thick soles, giving him a 1.75" boost in the "height with shoes" category and listing him at 6'8".

He must've been wearing Air Yeezys.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Post#16 » by He Hate Me » Fri May 29, 2009 7:08 pm

most of these poll questions make no sense.
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Fri May 29, 2009 7:55 pm

doclinkin wrote:

On Blair: Not just freakish wingspan, freakish reach, which is more important. The long-armed big bodies tend to continue to rebound well in the NBA: low center of gravity, good leverage. And speaking of center of gravity, at 277lbs he has the gravity to attract small moons to his orbit...

Actually, Blair's reach is below average for a PF. It's 3 inches shorter than SFs Daye and Clark. Gotstabe impressed with Clark's numbers and Tyreke Evans - for a guy who's going to play some point - he's a big boy at a young age. And I think Evans is legitimately in the mix at 5.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#18 » by yungal07 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Harden is a legit 6'5 with a great wingspan and standing reach. He's officially the guy I want. His athleticism is underated, and I love his skillset. He'd fit in perfectly on the Wiz IMO. Just say no to Evans, Hill, and Blair too. Blair just dropped to a late teens pick with those measurements.
keynote
General Manager

Post#19 » by keynote » Fri May 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Actually, Blair's reach is below average for a PF. It's 3 inches shorter than SFs Daye and Clark.

Well, Blair's reach gives him the standing reach of an average prospect 2" taller or so, based on DX's average measurements.

The problem is that 6'7" and change is still a bit undersized for an NBA PF. So, while the long arms save Blair from Lou Roe status, but they don't erase concerns entirely.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#20 » by doclinkin » Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Actually, Blair's reach is below average for a PF.

Actually no. It's exactly average for PF's in the Draft. Which, granted may be short for NBAer PFs in toto, but is equivalent to taller players like David Lee, Joakim Noah, Drew Gooden, etc. And is, as I said, freakishly long for a guy who's only 6'5". The suggestion is, yes, he'll struggle to defend a bit, but should still be able to rebound as he is accustomed to.

Return to Washington Wizards