ESPN Insider Rumor: Josh Howard for 5th pick

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

ESPN Insider Rumor: Josh Howard for 5th pick 

Post#1 » by miller31time » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Not a done deal but by far the biggest lead we've gotten so far.

I realize this could be put into the 5th pick thread but thought it deserves its own thread.

I can't post a link because it's ESPN Insider.

Thoughts if this potentially happens?
Munson79rip
Senior
And1: 5

Re: ESPN Inside Rumor: Josh Howard for 5th pick 

Post#2 » by Munson79rip » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 pm

Fitting since last time we picked 5th we traded the pick to Dallas for Jamison.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55 pm

From the trade thread:

MJG wrote:
Puertorique wrote:What you guys think about the rumored deal with Dallas?

#5 for Josh Howard.

On a semi-related note, it's been interesting watching this rumor blossom. Starts off as a simple note in a DraftExpress roundup, saying the Mavs are looking into trading up to take Hill. The author opined that we'd make a good trading partner, because of our trading history with the Mavs and our willingness to trade the pick. A week later, one of our papers catches wind of the report, and rewords it so that it is less opinion and more fact that the Mavs want to trade with us. Since it's now on a more official site, it gets picked up by ESPN's Rumor Mill and HoopsHype, where the NBA fans of the internet really start taking notice.

It's the type of thing that reinforces the idea that all rumors should be taken with a heaping teaspoon of salt.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This has zero chance of happening. At best it's a smokescreen by Grunfeld, and not even a good one since Hill is apparently slipping and Dallas can get him a lot lower than #5.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by miller31time » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:57 pm

LyricalRico wrote:From the trade thread:

MJG wrote:
Puertorique wrote:What you guys think about the rumored deal with Dallas?

#5 for Josh Howard.

On a semi-related note, it's been interesting watching this rumor blossom. Starts off as a simple note in a DraftExpress roundup, saying the Mavs are looking into trading up to take Hill. The author opined that we'd make a good trading partner, because of our trading history with the Mavs and our willingness to trade the pick. A week later, one of our papers catches wind of the report, and rewords it so that it is less opinion and more fact that the Mavs want to trade with us. Since it's now on a more official site, it gets picked up by ESPN's Rumor Mill and HoopsHype, where the NBA fans of the internet really start taking notice.

It's the type of thing that reinforces the idea that all rumors should be taken with a heaping teaspoon of salt.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This has zero chance of happening. At best it's a smokescreen by Grunfeld, and not even a good one since Hill is rumored to be slipping and Dallas can get him a lot lower than #5

Didn't know of the history behind it.

It's probably for the best. I don't think Howard would be a good fit here, anyway.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#5 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:04 pm

Miller, lock this thread. It's completely unsubstantiated bunk that one rumor site invented and then has been picked up and run with by subsequent rumor sites. You should lose your modding priveldges for a day for starting this thread.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 pm

^ Actually we should leave it open so they can read MJG's post that I quoted and then they won't start their own thread about it. (I actually thought that was why miller created the thread in the first place.)
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:14 pm

fishercob wrote:Miller, lock this thread. It's completely unsubstantiated bunk that one rumor site invented and then has been picked up and run with by subsequent rumor sites. You should lose your modding priveldges for a day for starting this thread.

Yeah who started this thread , Ji ?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by miller31time » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Actually we should leave it open so they can read MJG's post that I quoted and then they won't start their own thread about it. (I actually thought that was why miller created the thread in the first place.)

I'm good with that.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#9 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 pm

miller31time wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:^ Actually we should leave it open so they can read MJG's post that I quoted and then they won't start their own thread about it. (I actually thought that was why miller created the thread in the first place.)

I'm good with that.

Of course you are. Locking it would be admitting your mistake -- which would be the true act of leadership. Maybe JWiz was right about you after all.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#10 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:46 pm

just like a second rate mod to clog up the board. :lol:
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#11 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:08 am

I have it, its a review of the Times article. The title of it is very misleading.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by miller31time » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:26 am

fishercob wrote:
miller31time wrote:

I'm good with that.

Of course you are. Locking it would be admitting your mistake -- which would be the true act of leadership. Maybe JWiz was right about you after all.

Siding with JWiz is a true act of....well....let's just not go there.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Re: ESPN Insider Rumor: Josh Howard for 5th pick 

Post#14 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:49 am

I think we still need to not sleep on Jordan Hill. The guy ball handling skills on perimeter is really nice for a bigman and he actually can shoot effectively with one hand. He often dunks with one hand and that's something we rarely ever seen from kwame. Also, looking at his footage he will immediately be our best post offensive man on the team. His post moves are way stronger than Haywood,McGee's, Blatche's, and Jamison's. He will be our primary post option. He has a high energy component and actually gets off the ground when making his offensive moves. Hill is a two way powerforward is already better at age 22 than Jamison is at 30.
We have Blatche locked in longterm as our backup p/f. haywood and Mcgee our locked in as our centers. Getting HIll allows us to trade Jamison and replace him with a two way p/f. He's got a real strong work ethic, very coachable, and likes to bang inside. None of our current bigs outside of Haywood like to bang inside. He immediately adds a toughness to this team that has been lacking and the kid is fluid with both hands inside the paint. Again, he immediately becomes our best post player and he is also a threat with his midrange jumpshot. He immediately becomes our best defensive rebounder since he rebounds outside of area, pushes and scraps for position unlike Javale and Blatche. What's even more impressive his is quick release in the paint.
Hill is immediately our two way p/f of the future.
Obviously i like clark more than him, but hill automatically has the chance to be one of the top powerforward in the eastern conference. The biggest thing that impresses me about him his that he enjoys contact where as blatche, McGee and Jamison absolutely hate physical contact and battling for position. We got blatche locked up longtime and he is an excellent backup powerforward, McGee has time to grow into a the roll of center. Getting Hill immediately solves our defensive problems on a nightly basis and Hill isn't a downgrade offensive from Jamison because he can hit the midrange jumper consistently, and his post game and quick release around the basket are far better than Jamison. There is no way Hill should slip on our board especially when you have Jamison starting. We can immediately Trade Jamison with acquisition of Hill. Life as a wizard fan will be much better. I like Clark as our defensive small forward, but deep down i know that Hill gives us everything Jamison gives plus defense and stronger post game.
And with all the questions about his IQ, his defensive basketball IQ can't be worse than Jamison as our starting p/f on defense. A bigman with a 31 inch no step vertical mean he has explosiveness even if his lane agility shows 12.33. I see his agility definitely improving considering how explosive a leaper he is, as well as his agility when driving through crowds on his way to basket and finishing. His impact is greater than Evans, Curry, Harden. The chances of the wizards ever getting a player of Hill's size, motor, offensive interior quick release and perimeter scoring ability, hustle, rebounding, and shot blocking ability, excellent hardworking character, with an explosive vertical, and ability to finish with both hands and dunk with one hand..."meaning he can palm the ball"..all of these attributes means he will never hit free agency and really is on the level of chris bosh. Deep down I like him more than Clark for this team.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 am

I believe a trade is going to happen between Dallas and Washington. Washington probably gets the 22nd pick and obviously players are going to be involved. Looks like Washington is already expecting the 22nd pick by working out Lawson tomorrow. I think it's highly unlikely that your ownership would buy a first round pick considering all the money that's invested already.

I just hope Dallas can stay competitive if they trade Josh Howard. I would prefer Jason Terry be involved, but I doubt Washington would be interested. If the trade happens I hope Dallas picks James Harden (if there, not likely), Stephen Curry, or Tyreke Evans. Washington makes good with the 22nd and the player they receive Jason Terry or Josh Howard.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#16 » by Ji » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:34 am

Josh Howard is 29-30 years old and is already starting to decline. Id rather keep the pick
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:06 am

HMFFL wrote:I believe a trade is going to happen between Dallas and Washington. Washington probably gets the 22nd pick and obviously players are going to be involved. Looks like Washington is already expecting the 22nd pick by working out Lawson tomorrow.

The only thing less likely than the Wizards trading with Dallas is Lawson dropping to #22. If anything, this would indicate that the Wizards are trading down into the late lottery. There's nothing to the Dallas story and there never was. Please move on.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#18 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:23 am

working out terrence williams and lawson actually corroborate the Amare trade a lot better since both are projected to be mid-teen picks.

However, if we do end up trading down to the late 1st round, Buddinger is dropping like a rock for no real reason. I don't think he's any less of a player now than he was when he was ranked 10-15. Out of the guard prospects that leapfrogged him: Henderson, Flynn, Holliday, and DeRozen only Henderson has a legitimate case of earning his newfound hype. I think Flynn, Holliday, and DeRozen are all busts in the making and that Buddinger would pan out to be the player that teams hoped Morrison would have been.
Bullets -> Wizards
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:11 am

Ji wrote:Josh Howard is 29-30 years old and is already starting to decline. Id rather keep the pick

I'm leaning with you on this one, but it all depends on what the Wizards give up and whether they get a round one pick.

Could be the Wizards give up expirings and DeShawn/Darius plus Pecherov and they get Howard with a pick that could be Blair/Maynor/McLinton/Terrance Williams ALONG WITH cap relief.

Just depends, Ji, cuz it has to be more than just Howard for the #5 as far as I'm concerned,.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards