ImageImageImageImageImage

Looking back, would you still trade Harris for Jamison?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Trade Laetner, Stackhouse, and the rights to Harris for Jamison?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 39

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Looking back, would you still trade Harris for Jamison? 

Post#41 » by miller31time » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:35 pm

barelyawake wrote:I'm sure I'm a majority of one on this, and without going into great detail, I would jump at a chance to get Okafor.

Absolutely. Pairing Haywood with Emeka Okafor would create the most dominant defensive C/PF combo in the NBA today. No team would get a good look at an interior shot with that tandem - something we haven't been able to say in D.C in a while.

Also, patching up the interior defense helps the perimeter defense. No longer would the guards feel this incessant need to help down low, and they could stick to their man.

It doesn't hurt that he's a capable scorer and young to boot.

He has injury problems, though. That's his only real downside. But I'd easily take the risk.

You're right, though - MJ probably wouldn't deal with us. The only players MJ would like from our roster are Haywood (who we wouldn't trade) and Jamison (who the Bobcats wouldn't trade for since it would hurt their cap situation - the reason they're shopping Okafor), since their UNC products.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#42 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:10 pm

miller31time wrote:He has injury problems, though. That's his only real downside. But I'd easily take the risk.

Would it be the same here in DC? I wonder if playing PF instead of C and not having the pressure of being a primary option on offense could mitigate that somewhat. He also wouldn't have to guard the other team's best big man every night.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#43 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:41 pm

fugop wrote:I actually don't have any idea how Okafor and Haywood would do in the front court together. They certainly break the modern mold, and would probably fail miserably.

Neither can handle, shoot, or pass. The closest front court skill-wise is Verejao and Wallace, though Okafor and Haywood are way better than either (at this point), and there's no Lebron on the roster.

Both can play defense. I think Okafor would be acceptable at PF on defense, but the fact that Brown won't put him on the court next to Diop is cause for reservation.

Bah.

What appears DID work was Okafor with 7-footer Ryan Hollins, before the trade between Charlotte/Phoenix/Dallas.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08CHA19.HTM

Some of the 5-Man Units (scroll down, middle of page) Brown did try had Hollins/Okafor. They had some real good defense in terms of effective FG% against.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#44 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:
barelyawake wrote:I'm sure I'm a majority of one on this, and without going into great detail, I would jump at a chance to get Okafor. I just don't think Jordan will deal with us. Mainly I want him because I believe he is a smart, tough leader who can ground a team -- and unique in that aspect. I believe his influence would make our bigs better.

But, also I believe if Java works on his 10-15 foot shot, shotblocking, post distribution and post game, I believe those two would work great together. Post Java; wait for the double; kick back out to Arenas or overtop to a freed Okafor or Haywood; slam. Rinse repeat. With Haywood and Okafor together, the paint would be shutdown, like in Iverson's Philly. And if we got Bell, we'd have the outside covered as well. Then, it's just a matter of getting the rotations right to outscore teams. Again, not the prudent thing to do, because you'll more than likely end up with a 8 million dollar player (Caron, AJ or Okafor), not playing as much as he's worth. 'Course, my argument is that's how we'll win a championship.

Okafor and Haywood together would be nasty nasty. I just don't see how it happens.

I don't, either, outside of the Wizards possibly drafting Curry and packaging him with McGee and Etan's expiring. MJ did play wth Etan and Brown supposedly likes Curry. McGee's got potential.

Honestly, that's too much to give for Okafor, IMO, but I think it could get him.
Bye bye Beal.
HookShot94
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#45 » by HookShot94 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:15 am

You have Arenas no need for another stud PG
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#46 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:20 pm

In hindsight, they should have drafted Karl Malone instead of Kenny Green. They should have passed on that Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond thing. Said no to Ben Wallace for Ike Austin. Drafted Kevin Garnett instead of Rasheed Wallace. Picked Gasol instead of Kwame.

The pick for Jamison was a good trade for this franchise. Better luck with injuries would have yielded much better results. Stuff is always easier in hindsight.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#47 » by Benjammin » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:26 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:In hindsight, they should have drafted Karl Malone instead of Kenny Green. They should have passed on that Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond thing. Said no to Ben Wallace for Ike Austin. Drafted Kevin Garnett instead of Rasheed Wallace. Picked Gasol instead of Kwame.

The pick for Jamison was a good trade for this franchise. Better luck with injuries would have yielded much better results. Stuff is always easier in hindsight.

The story (which I believe) is that Bob Ferry wanted to draft Karl Malone but Gene Shue (the coach) fell in love with Kenny Green. I was so crushed on draft night when Karl Malone was still available at our pick but we passed on him. I didn't know he would turn out to be a HOF, but I knew he was special.

Return to Washington Wizards