ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Press Conference: 2PM Today

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Agent0_MVP
Freshman
And1: 0

Wizards Press Conference: 2PM Today 

Post#1 » by Agent0_MVP » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:46 pm

UPDATE: SportzWiz checking in… Just wanted to let you know Ernie Grunfeld will be speaking with the media live at 2pm regarding the 2009 NBA draft. You can watch the press conference on WashingtonWizards.com and we will provide a link prior to the press conference.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Re: Wizards Press Conference: 2PM Today 

Post#2 » by WizStorm » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Is this normal? Why would there be anything substantial said about possible draft picks before a draft?

Or is there actual news about a trade of the pick?
Agent0_MVP
Freshman

Post#3 » by Agent0_MVP » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Can they even mention a trade before the draft? I am ecited, but worried at the same time!
WizBiz
Assistant Coach
And1: 27

Post#4 » by WizBiz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:03 pm

I doubt it's a trade since I'm sure some news outlet would have picked up on it. Assuming it's not a trade, we probably won't (and shouldn't) get any legit info regarding who the team wants.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#5 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:03 pm

We certainly knew of the Jamison trade days before the 2004 draft. Don't know if there was a formal press conference announcing it, but if not - it was the worst kept secret ever.

But I suspect it'll be the usual rote Q&A session, Ernie talking about BPA, fit, professionalism, and how they expect to be back in the playoffs next year. I'll be shocked if there's any actual "news" to come out of it.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:But I suspect it'll be the usual rote Q&A session, Ernie talking about BPA, fit, professionalism, and how they expect to be back in the playoffs next year. I'll be shocked if there's any actual "news" to come out of it.

Yeah, I seem to recall them scheduling something similar last year where EG basically said nothing.
Agent0_MVP
Freshman

Post#7 » by Agent0_MVP » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:12 pm

I expect it to be something like that, but I have butterflies and that usually means something good!
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#8 » by crackhed » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:15 pm

i'm a little more concerned. larry hughes may be coming back to dc
:sigh:

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... h_for_2nd/
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
WizBiz
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by WizBiz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:23 pm

I would like to think EG wouldn't take a horrible offer like that...and it's from the NY Post, which sucks.
Agent0_MVP
Freshman

Post#10 » by Agent0_MVP » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Larry coming back to DC would be great. I dont agree with many of you, but to get rid of ET contract would be huge. Everyone puts down James, but I think he had a nice season. Without him I dont think we win 15 games. If we would keep James somehow and trade someone else with ET I would be cool with it. No not Songolia. I like him too. I would trade Song and ET, and the 5th for Hughes and Lee though. Too many scenarios. I just cant wait for Thurs. We need more depth in the 2nd Unit and a SG. Thats what he is doing. I can promise you that!!!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Agent0_MVP wrote:I dont agree with many of you, but to get rid of ET contract would be huge.

Etan's deal expires at the same time as Hughes so there's no financial benefit there. Contrary to years past, Etan's deal is no longer a total negative. He actually has value as an expiring contract now.
Agent0_MVP
Freshman

Post#12 » by Agent0_MVP » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Etan's deal expires at the same time as Hughes so there's no financial benefit there. Contrary to years past, Etan's deal is no longer a total negative. He actually has value as an expiring contract now.

Whats ET going to give us a nite? I still believe Larry can give us what we need at the 2. He is def better than Stevenson. Add that too a healthy team and we def make the playoffs. If we stay healthy. ET did what the last few seasons?? EXACTLY!! Ever since he signed that contract and got hurt. If this was the worse trade we could do..do it, we cant do no worse. Larry is better than the 5th pick!!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Agent0_MVP wrote:Whats ET going to give us a nite? I still believe Larry can give us what we need at the 2. He is def better than Stevenson.

I agree with that. But that wasn't your original argument. You said that "getting rid of Etan's contract would be huge" when in reality we do not gain any additional financial benefit from trading Etan for Larry Hughes. None whatsoever. If you want to make your case based on production, fine. But leave the $$$ out of it because it's a complete wash.

Agent0_MVP wrote:Larry is better than the 5th pick!!

You've just lost all credibility. :crazy:
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#14 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Agent0_MVP wrote:Whats ET going to give us a nite? I still believe Larry can give us what we need at the 2. He is def better than Stevenson. Add that too a healthy team and we def make the playoffs. If we stay healthy. ET did what the last few seasons?? EXACTLY!! Ever since he signed that contract and got hurt. If this was the worse trade we could do..do it, we cant do no worse. Larry is better than the 5th pick!!

Uh, no.

And I was advocating an outright release of Etan up to 3 years ago. I believe he's been a drag on the team, and the team's record with him unavailable seems to bear that out. No one wants him moved more than I do. But it's ridiculous to make deal that would cost us a Top 5 pick just to move someone who will be gone at the end of the year regardless.

And as for Hughes - if your issue with Etan is constant injuries and lack of production after signing a big contract, then I don't think Larry's your man....
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#15 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Why would bringing Hughes back be a good thing? He's not the guy he was back in 04-05. If the Knicks want to swap him for Etan and James, then I'd do that because their deals are expiring and maybe, MAYBE Hughes can offer something useful once reunited with Arenas and Jamison. But I wouldn't even be willing to swap the 5th for the 8th in that scenario. A straight expirings for expirings I would do. Maybe throw in a future 2nd round pick or two because Hughes is probably more useful than Thomas and James combined. But I don't see any reason to move down 3 spots in the draft to get Hughes.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
WizBiz
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by WizBiz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Well seeing that most of us think the Wizards will make the playoffs anyway, Hughes isn't that much of an upgrade. Perhaps Larry is better than the 5th pick right now, but in a year or 2 that pick will most likely be better. Giving up the 5th pick for a 1 year rental of a mediocre player is not something we should do. Knowing our management, we may inexplicably fall in love with Hughes again and sign him to ANOTHER contract. Nothing good can come from a trade with the 5th pick and Larry Hughes in my eyes.
Agent0_MVP
Freshman

Post#17 » by Agent0_MVP » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:57 pm

As you just said: Perhaps Larry is better than the 5th pick right now, but in a year or 2 that pick will most likely be better.

Most likely....?

We want NOW!!

If Larry can do even half of what he did when he was with us before it would be better than the 5th pick. We need a contributor NOW. He knows the system. He knows the players.

Make the deal if we have too...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Agent0_MVP wrote:Larry is better than the 5th pick!!

Oh no you di int. If Big Wes was the GM now, my stomach would be turning in knots, but EG knows what he's doing - He is not going to just give away the pick. I agree with everything Weapon said, except it wouldn't upset me if there is a swap of 5 for 8. Check that, if Harden is there at 5, trading 5 for 8 would upset me.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#19 » by closg00 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:03 pm

:lol: The Ernie Grunfeld presser, Ernie has prefected the art of speaking while saying nothing.

"All options are on the table with respect to our 5th pick" blah, blah, blah.
Agent0_MVP
Freshman

Post#20 » by Agent0_MVP » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Tell me how anyone before the 5th is better than Larry(Except Griffin)? Prove it....

I seriously believe that if we get a vet or 2, we can win the championship. Not just make the playoffs. If you want to just make the playoffs and make some noise..dont trade the pick..otherwise we need vets that know the NBA, that know the system..NOW!

Return to Washington Wizards