ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiz trade 5th pick to Minnesota

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NiteOwl
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Re: Wiz trade 5th pick to Minnesota 

Post#1081 » by NiteOwl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:26 am

Who has a worse shoulder injury...Jordan Reed or Dat2U from repeatedly patting himself on the back... :rofl:
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#1082 » by AFM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:39 am

DatAsshole2U
mictic
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#1083 » by mictic » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:11 am

Man you gave me a heart attack with the thread title. I thought for a moment EG had struck again. D'oh
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#1084 » by doclinkin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:17 am

I think this was Dats final Mock from that year, before we swapped the pick. From this thread.

Dat2U wrote:Dat2U's updated rankings as of 6/15/09:

Two reasons why this draft is considered weak. No size whatsoever. Only one C worth mentioning (Thabeet) and another athlete masquerading as a C (Mullens). Secondly very few options at SF. Sam Young & DaJuan Summers are the best and their mid-to-late 1st round picks.

On the other hand, its a very strong draft for PGs and combo guards (it's also pretty weak at SG IMO). If a team needs a ball-handler or shot creator, this is the draft to get one.

Overrated: Thabeet, Harden, Hill, Williams, Budinger & Jennings.

Underrated: Blair, Heytvelt, Curry, Lawson, Teague, Collison & Mills.

Colassal Busts: Mullens & Daye

Players who've grown on me and risen in my eyes: Hansbrough, Gibson, Summers, Flynn, Teague & Beaubois.

Players who's stock has recently fallen in my eyes: Budinger, Green, Daye & Calathes.

What I want the Wizards to do in the draft: Unless they can trade for Bosh, Amare or Dirk (lol), I want them to draft Stephen Curry with the 5th pick, then draft Rodrigue Beaubois in the 2nd rd to stash overseas for a few seasons.

What scares me to death about what the Wizards might do:
1. Either trade for a 30+ yr old SG (Rip or VC) or mediocre player (Hinrich, MMiller or AHarrington)
2. Draft Jordan Hill or see Hasheem Thabeet fall into their laps.

Grin & bear it scenario (I won't be thrilled but I'll accept it if the Wizards choose to go in this directon): Wizards draft James Harden at #5 (I just don't see EG drafting him however).

Note: This is my top 50 list. However I don't see 50 NBA quality players in this draft. My cut off (for now) is 36, players listed in red fall outside my top 36 but of course some may develop into NBA players in time.

This time I've broken down the rankings into Bigs, Mediums & Smalls (heh, that's my tribute to EJ!). Overall rankings are in ( ).

Power Forwards / Centers

1. PF Blake Griffin (1)
2. PF DeJuan Blair (7)
3. PF Earl Clark (9)
4. PF James Johnson (13)
5. PF Tyler Hansbrough (15)
6. PF Jordan Hill (16)
7. C Hasheem Thabeet (18)
8. PF Josh Heytvelt (23)
9. PF Taj Gibson (33)
10. PF Alade Aminu
11. C B.J. Mullens
12. PF DeMarre Carroll
13. PF Derrick Brown
14. PF Jeff Pendergraph

Shooting Guards / Small Forwards

1. SG Demar DeRozan (6)
2. SG James Harden (11)
3. SF Sam Young (20)
4. SF DaJuan Summers (22)
5. SF Terrence Williams (25)
6. SF Omri Casspi (26)
7. SG Wayne Ellington (27)
8. SG Marcus Thornton (28)
9. SF Chase Budinger (29)
10. SG Jermaine Taylor (34)
11. SG Jodie Meeks (35)
12. SF Danny Green (36)
13. SF Austin Daye
14. SF Jonas Jerebko
15. SG Dionte Christmas

Point Guards / Combo Guards

1. PG Ricky Rubio (2)
2. PG Stephen Curry (3)
3. SG Tyreke Evans (4)
4. PG Jonny Flynn (5)
5. PG Ty Lawson (8)
6. SG Jeff Teague (10)
7. PG Jrue Holiday (12)
8. PG Eric Maynor (14)
9. PG Darren Collison (17)
10. PG Patrick Mills (19)
11. PG Brandon Jennings (21)
12. SG Rodrigue Beaubois (24)
13. PG Nick Calathes (30)
14. SG Jack McClinton (31)
15. PG Toney Douglas (32)
16. PG Lester Hudson
17. PG Patrick Beverley
18. SG Jerel McNeal
19. SG Nando De Colo
20. PG Greivis Vasquez
21. PG Sergio Llull
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#1085 » by AFM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:30 am

Pretty impressive outside of Harden prediction

That's why he's Dat African American!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1086 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:50 am

Dat2U wrote:Post#256 » June 29th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Dat2U wrote:Wow. I'm trying to figure when Mike Miller morphed into the franchise caliber player. Because reading all the posts about how great he is, its a wonder he didn't lead Minnesota into the playoffs by himself. It's like the board has a collective hard on for the guy.

I guarantee had the board done a poll about choosing b/w Mike Miller & Shane Battier before last week, Battier would have won hands down. Only now, after the trade is made and we have Miller do we all the sudden question Battier's age, stats or ability to fit in our lineup.

Irregardless I think the guy we'll come to end up regretting we passed on was Steph Curry. It's a gut feeling but if we were going to sell out on having a completely offensive minded team then Curry was the guy to select. Contrary to popular belief Curry was the type of rookie that could come in and contribute immediately in a team's rotation. And the sad thing about the trade was that if EG waited until draft day, he possibly could have had Curry AND Miller or at least Curry and the #18th pick. You can make an argument about Miller being a good fit next to our big three but I'd take Curry over Foye 10 times out of 10 and find it hard to believe that someone can make a legitimate argument the Foye is an ideal fit or anything more than mediocre guard.

Understatement.

Regret just isn't big enough ...
Bye bye Beal.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#1087 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:14 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Post#256 » June 29th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Dat2U wrote:Wow. I'm trying to figure when Mike Miller morphed into the franchise caliber player. Because reading all the posts about how great he is, its a wonder he didn't lead Minnesota into the playoffs by himself. It's like the board has a collective hard on for the guy.

I guarantee had the board done a poll about choosing b/w Mike Miller & Shane Battier before last week, Battier would have won hands down. Only now, after the trade is made and we have Miller do we all the sudden question Battier's age, stats or ability to fit in our lineup.

Irregardless I think the guy we'll come to end up regretting we passed on was Steph Curry. It's a gut feeling but if we were going to sell out on having a completely offensive minded team then Curry was the guy to select. Contrary to popular belief Curry was the type of rookie that could come in and contribute immediately in a team's rotation. And the sad thing about the trade was that if EG waited until draft day, he possibly could have had Curry AND Miller or at least Curry and the #18th pick. You can make an argument about Miller being a good fit next to our big three but I'd take Curry over Foye 10 times out of 10 and find it hard to believe that someone can make a legitimate argument the Foye is an ideal fit or anything more than mediocre guard.

Understatement.

Regret just isn't big enough ...

yes yes yall
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: RE: Re: Wiz trade 5th pick to Minnesota 

Post#1088 » by Tricky_Kid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 am

mictic wrote:Man you gave me a heart attack with the thread title. I thought for a moment EG had struck again. D'oh

The same here. I read pick -trade - Minnesota and I thouqht **** me Ernie sold another one!

Sent from my LG-P880 using RealGM mobile app
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1089 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Am I the only one here who thinks that trade was worth it?

Cmon, remember that one game against the Knicks that Miller was on fire?

Remember how funny it was when Buck would confuse Foye for Caron?

That was awesome!
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1090 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:29 pm

Gotta give it up to Dat for that sentence. To commemorate it, we should have a thread before each draft - "The Dat Annual Who's the guy we'll end up regretting passing on?" thread. Yes, passing is spelled correctly with an a; not an i - though we could do that, as well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1091 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Yes, Dat was correct that we regret passing on Curry. We all remember our prescience, right -- and why should Dat be an exception?

Of course, he also has James Harden on his list of "overrated." :) And upranks a bunch of guys who didn't even get a cup of coffee in the league while down-rating a bunch of guys who've had and still have good careers.

Oh, and look -- there's Steph Curry right behind Ricky Rubio on the PG list! :) Then look at the order of the rest of the list. :wink:
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1092 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 pm

P.S. I'm *not* criticizing Dat!! No one gets more than a few right in long lists. There are a zillion reasons why not.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1093 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:51 pm

payitforward wrote:Yes, Dat was correct that we regret passing on Curry. We all remember our prescience, right -- and why should Dat be an exception?

Of course, he also has James Harden on his list of "overrated." :) And upranks a bunch of guys who didn't even get a cup of coffee in the league while down-rating a bunch of guys who've had and still have good careers.

Oh, and look -- there's Steph Curry right behind Ricky Rubio on the PG list! :) Then look at the order of the rest of the list. :wink:

Give him a break... he did have Maynor as the 14th best player - and Flynn at 5. :wink:

The great Toney Douglas at 32... actually sounds about right.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1094 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:02 pm

payitforward wrote:P.S. I'm *not* criticizing Dat!! No one gets more than a few right in long lists. There are a zillion reasons why not.

DAT routinely has the best draft order prediction list. I came in 3rd or 4th behind him one year and thought I was brilliant!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1095 » by Dat2U » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:53 am

payitforward wrote:Yes, Dat was correct that we regret passing on Curry. We all remember our prescience, right -- and why should Dat be an exception?

I've got two words for you.

Landry Fields! :lol:
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1096 » by dangermouse » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:28 am

If I was Ted, i'd be completely comfortable hiring Dat2U to draft 1st rounders and CCJ to draft 2nd rounders. That would be money well spent, they dont need qualifications or experience. Both of them have just been consistently great predictors of talent year in year out since ive been here. Threads like these are the proof.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1097 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 am

Never forget
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1098 » by dangermouse » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:47 am

Its posts like that, that are the reason I weigh Dat's draft opinions above everyone elses. Especially above our GM. A guru in those threads is DAT.

Honestly you are such a good evaluator of talent you should have a job! Maybe if we all pitch in and buy the Wizards...
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1099 » by Dat2U » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 am

dangermouse wrote:Its posts like that, that are the reason I weigh Dat's draft opinions above everyone elses. Especially above our GM. A guru in those threads is DAT.

Honestly you are such a good evaluator of talent you should have a job! Maybe if we all pitch in and buy the Wizards...

Thank you kind sir. I'd probably have better luck if I dont confront Ted next time while completely loaded off Fireball demanding for Ernie's head :)
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1100 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:14 am

Just realized we now have Ty Lawson who was taken in 2009. Wow.

Return to Washington Wizards