Total votes: 96

bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Re: Poll-Do you like the trade? 

Post#21 » by bulletproof_32 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:22 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote: by adding a sniper in Miller

Sniper?!?! I always thought of miller as a snitcher. :D

Kidding. I've always had a soft spot for the shay whitey shooters so I'm happy with the addition of Mike Miller.

Which reminds me. We need to establish some nicknames for Miller and should've been Roy, Foye.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Re: Poll-Do you like the trade of Foye/Miller for 5th 

Post#22 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:28 am

I'm going with "Millions" for Mike Miller. Representing either his 'money' shot, if he regains it, or his expiring contract which may help us retain Haywood. Though for shorthand sake I'd bet he'll end up M2 or something.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#23 » by Ji » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:31 am

I am pissed off again....I was pissed at first..then liked the trade and now I am pissed because its a safe trade that gives us no upside

If Rubio is there at #5...it might be a disaster trade.

I mean Foye and Miller? Im done...Ernie has to go
Ced67
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Poll-Do you like the trade? 

Post#24 » by Ced67 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:43 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:
Gilbert0Arenas wrote: by adding a sniper in Miller

Which reminds me. We need to establish some nicknames for Miller and should've been Roy, Foye.

Im goin' with M&M
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#25 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:08 am

This is a really good trade. I don't think EG has to do much more. Obviously if we get a great offer for Jamison or Butler that get us an former all-nba bigman signed longterm, we do it-but I love the fact that Blatche and Young are still on the roster. But Jamison/Blatche and Haywood/McGee is a pretty decent front line. I feel alot better having mike miller compete with Butler at the s/f spot. Foye really covers Arenas azz against quick point guards and lets Gil do what he loves to do which is guard s/gs. Grunfeld has really earned his pay check. He is showing that he is becoming one of the top GM's in the league. A+ for keeping Blatche, Young, and McGee. And I have been one of the fiercest EG critics. EG has shown why he is one of the Elite.
I have to think Wise Cassell and Saunders also inputted into this move because no way would EJ push for this.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#26 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:12 am

bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#27 » by bulletproof_32 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:55 am

^^Nice.

Millions must really be excited about the trade. Why else would he pay tribute to the Wiz D in the video?

----------

Doc - I hope the "Millions" moniker sticks. I'm digging it not only for the reasons you stated but because it also reminds me of one of my favorite ballers of all time, Chris Mullin. Which coincidentally is the handle I've been given by my rec league teammates. While that could be because we're both slow, white, lefties with limited hair follicles (BY DESIGN, of course) that don the 17 jersey, I'd like to think it's because my J is automatic like his.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#28 » by og15 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 am

MJG wrote:I don't understand the logic of "this was the best we could do, what were you expecting?" as a means to defend the trade. It's not like we had a locker room cancer with a bloated contract that we needed to boot out the door at any cost. The pick was a quality asset that we could have easily kept if there were no trades out there we liked.

I'm fairly indifferent about the whole thing, so no big arguments from me if you like it; I just think that's a pretty questionable reason why.

Couldn't Randy Foye and Mike Miller also be considered quality assets? And possibly if Miller allows Caron Butler to become more "dispensable" (and I use that word loosely) in order to get a big man like Bosh or Amare, they Miller is even more of an asset to the team.

So I guess one could argue that getting fairly good and tradeable (contract wise etc) players is also getting quality assets.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by RickRoll_inDC » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:43 am

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:WATCH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjKk092NupI

My count may be off, but it looked like 26/30. I guess that's pretty good....... :D

Millions is pretty ripped too
19-13 on game threads
toughjuice03
Sophomore

Post#30 » by toughjuice03 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:22 am

I like the trade I guess I like that we got a shooter in Mike Miller and Foye I don't know too much about him but I like that we dumped Etan but we are short on big men now I think after this trade it leaves us with WOOD, Twan, Dray and McGee. I would've rather us part ways with James instead of D-Song.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#31 » by Tekkenlaw » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:30 am

You can tell Kahn kind of got worked. The Wizards definitely held out. Dumped a lot of trash. I will still root for Randy Foye on the Wizards, I hope he can put it together. For all his faults he is a 16ppg scorer right now and only improving. Flip Saunders will most likely work magic with him.
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#32 » by WizardsWorld » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:11 am

I LOVE the deal... I think Foye still has a lot of upside being young and Miller I have wanted on the Wizards the last 5 years and we finally got him ! Look back at my realGM posts and like half them have us acquiring MIke Miller haha... Most likely at 5 we wont get a player better than Foye or "that" much better if at all and we dump 3 useless players.... LOVE it.
Agent0_MVP
Freshman

Post#33 » by Agent0_MVP » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:35 am

I love it:

Look for the Wizards to trade Mike James at some point.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#34 » by MJG » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:50 pm

og15 wrote:
MJG wrote:I don't understand the logic of "this was the best we could do, what were you expecting?" as a means to defend the trade. It's not like we had a locker room cancer with a bloated contract that we needed to boot out the door at any cost. The pick was a quality asset that we could have easily kept if there were no trades out there we liked.

I'm fairly indifferent about the whole thing, so no big arguments from me if you like it; I just think that's a pretty questionable reason why.

Couldn't Randy Foye and Mike Miller also be considered quality assets? And possibly if Miller allows Caron Butler to become more "dispensable" (and I use that word loosely) in order to get a big man like Bosh or Amare, they Miller is even more of an asset to the team.

So I guess one could argue that getting fairly good and tradeable (contract wise etc) players is also getting quality assets.

So it sounds like you like the trade for the following reasons:

1. Foye and Miller are good assets.
2. Miller puts us in a position where we can use Caron in a trade for a big.

I think those are perfectly good reasons to like the trade. My question was to people whose main argument in favor of the deal is:

1. Foye and Miller is probably the best package we could have gotten for the pick.

In my view, the only time that logic should come into play is if you're holding on to something that absolutely much go: a locker room cancer, a bloated contract when you're trying to rebuild, etc. My point was that we didn't have to trade the pick. We weren't in an it-absolutely-must-go mode.

Maybe it's a subtle difference. Basically, it amounts to this: do you truly like Foye and Miller, or do you just like Foye and Miller more than the other offers that were on the table? It's people who would lean towards the latter that I question.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#35 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm convinced the less knowledgeable fans like the trade and the more knowledgeable fans are hoping it's a precursor to more trades.

Saying this is a weak draft is just like saying this is a strong draft--pure spectulation. The deal hinges on the strength/value of that pick, the contributions of Foye and Miller this season, and the contributions of the rest of what the Wizards traded.

What cannot be ignored he Wizards gave away a 23-year old seven footer, who can easily averages 16 points (same as Foye) given minutes. Pecherov's PER was higher than Miller or Foye's last season. The Wizards spent a first rounder #18 in the same draft Foye went #7. He is two years younger than Foye and IMO has not had any opportunity being behind Jamison, Songaila, Blatche, and McGee while playing for a coach who stunted the development of big men. When Pecherov steps up, as I'm 70% sure he will, this will show how bad this deal is. The argument is that he's strictly an offensive player. Well, so are Foye and Miller. But they're shorter. Minny needed the height and got it as a throw in.

Etan Thomas on an expiring deal IMO would have been worth more to a team like San Antonio. Detroit, Philly with Jordan coaching, Oklahoma are other teams that had tradeable assets the Wizards might have used in exchange for Thomas. His contract had actually become an advantage. See the Richard Jefferson deal by SA. (I think throwing that #5 with Etan and Young probably could have gotten Ginobili, FWIW. He's way better than Miller or Foye but older)

In my mind this was a cap dump that got offensive help on a team that needs defensive help. Ernie totally dismissed the possibilty of the draft helping this team. Just like when he sold the rights to Bill Walker.

It ONLY comes up big if both Miller and Foye come up big and the Wizards trade them or Haywood, because they can't afford to resign all three.
Bye bye Beal.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#36 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:43 pm

MJG wrote:In my view, the only time that logic should come into play is if you're holding on to something that absolutely much go: a locker room cancer, a bloated contract when you're trying to rebuild, etc. My point was that we didn't have to trade the pick. We weren't in an it-absolutely-must-go mode.

Maybe it's a subtle difference. Basically, it amounts to this: do you truly like Foye and Miller, or do you just like Foye and Miller more than the other offers that were on the table? It's people who would lean towards the latter that I question.

I like it better than the Knicks option! lol.

We didn't have to make the trade, but I think it has a lot to do with not wanting another young project (young/critt in the backcourt and blatche/mcgee in the frontcourt) and finding more value for a playoff team in some comparable players with experience. It makes us better NEXT year and I think that's what EG and especially Polin are looking at.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#37 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm convinced the less knowledgeable fans like the trade and the more knowledgeable fans are hoping it's a precursor to more trades.

Oh?

What cannot be ignored he Wizards gave away a 23-year old seven footer, who can easily averages 16 points (same as Foye) given minutes. Pecherov's PER was higher than Miller or Foye's last season. The Wizards spent a first rounder #18 in the same draft Foye went #7. He is two years younger than Foye and IMO has not had any opportunity being behind Jamison, Songaila, Blatche, and McGee while playing for a coach who stunted the development of big men. When Pecherov steps up, as I'm 70% sure he will, this will show how bad this deal is. The argument is that he's strictly an offensive player. Well, so are Foye and Miller. But they're shorter. Minny needed the height and got it as a throw in.

Your assessment of Pecherov is yours and yours alone, my friend. The guy could not get on the floor for a 19 win team. That's not because the coaches didn't play kids. McGuire played big minutes last season. McGee got some run. To this point, Pesh sucks. He's a scrub. His PER is statistically insignificant due to the sample size and the fact that all his minutes were in gar-bahj time.

Etan Thomas on an expiring deal IMO would have been worth more to a team like San Antonio. Detroit, Philly with Jordan coaching, Oklahoma are other teams that had tradeable assets the Wizards might have used in exchange for Thomas. His contract had actually become an advantage. See the Richard Jefferson deal by SA. (I think throwing that #5 with Etan and Young probably could have gotten Ginobili, FWIW. He's way better than Miller or Foye but older)

The only way Etan;s expiring deal was an advantage was if we were wiling to take a longer term, large contract back -- like RJ. Doing so likely meant not re-signing Haywood. I'd rather have Miller, Foye and Haywood than Richard Jefferson -- or Vince or Rip for that matter. Furthermore, as I have said before (and imagine I'll have to keep repeating) the SA was able to offer MIL instant cap relief because Bowen and Oberto only had partial guarantees. We had no such contracts, so it's truly an apples to oranges comparison. For this season, Miller is infinitely more productive than Etan for the money. Foye too,

In my mind this was a cap dump that got offensive help on a team that needs defensive help. Ernie totally dismissed the possibilty of the draft helping this team. Just like when he sold the rights to Bill Walker.

I know, I was just thinking that at Bill Walker's HOF induction ceremony. Oh wait, he too couldn't get on the court for a team that was decimated by injuries at season's end. I think we're going to be able to bring these guys back at fair prices. That's hardly a cap dump, but moving Songaila made sense. He's certainly replacable.

It ONLY comes up big if both Miller and Foye come up big and the Wizards trade them or Haywood, because they can't afford to resign all three.

Perhaps. I'm guessing we win 50 or so games this year and win two playoff series. Then perhaps Ernie convinces Abe to pay the tax to keep the squard together.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#38 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm convinced the less knowledgeable fans like the trade and the more knowledgeable fans are hoping it's a precursor to more trades.

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:What cannot be ignored he Wizards gave away a 23-year old seven footer, who can easily averages 16 points (same as Foye) given minutes. .

Dude stands out on the perimeter and just shoots threes. Occasionally he'll score 16pts when he's playing scrub time and butler, arenas, jamison etc arent in taking shots. I dont see him avg'ing 16 a game, sorry. I find this funny right after you say knowledgeable fans....
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#39 » by Benjammin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I would feel a lot better about the deal if the Wizards had gotten the 18th pick as well. Blair, Hansbrough, Lawson, one of those guys would possibly be there and give the Wizards some toughness.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#40 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Benjammin wrote:I would feel a lot better about the deal if the Wizards had gotten the 18th pick as well. Blair, Hansbrough, Lawson, one of those guys would possibly be there and give the Wizards some toughness.

Yeah -- at the very least swap ou4 second for one of their later firsts. But Kahn may have just drawn a line in the sand and Ernie thought it was a good deal. Good news is that if Ernie wants to move up front 32, he has assets with which to do so.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards