ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread IX (Visitors Post Trades HERE!)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Re: Official Trade Thread IX (Visitors Post Trades HERE!) 

Post#1421 » by heathmalc » Sun Dec 6, 2009 5:58 am

How about this deal with your arch-enemies?:

Cleveland gets:
Antawn Jamison
Caron Butler

Washington Gets:
JJ Hickson
Jamario Moon
Wally Sczerbiak (S&T so he is expiring)
Cash-to buy out Wally's pro-rated contract (Think Keith Van Horn in Dallas/Nets trade)
Cavs 2010 1st round draft pick
Cavs 2012 1st round draft pick
We the People...
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#1422 » by DaRealHibachi » Sun Dec 6, 2009 9:05 am

heathmalc wrote:How about this deal with your arch-enemies?:

Cleveland gets:
Antawn Jamison
Caron Butler

Washington Gets:
JJ Hickson
Jamario Moon
Cash-to buy out Wally's pro-rated contract (Think Keith Van Horn in Dallas/Nets trade)

AJ and CB for a bunch of overrated players and late round draft picks (assuming James stays)...???

No thanks...
:beer: Magnumt
dnk
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#1423 » by dnk » Sun Dec 6, 2009 10:10 am

How do you think the Oden injury affects any potential dealings with the Blazers?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#1424 » by Hoopalotta » Sun Dec 6, 2009 10:34 am

dnk wrote:How do you think the Oden injury affects any potential dealings with the Blazers?

I was wondering about that too, but it seems a bit difficult to figure out which way they will go. The injury is about the same as the Andrew Bynum injury, and though it is a bit disconcerting going forward to think about the likelihood of Oden getting hurt again considering how he was injured (no contact), I've got to believe that they just hope he bounces back like Bynum and don't make any serious alterations to their long term plans.

Might they be under pressure to do something this year with a vet to keep them competetive? Maybe. But they could easily just go the other way and decide that Batum being out this year isn't such a big deal considering they don't have a shot anyway. They are awfully thin up front though, that's for sure. Lats night, Lamarcus Aldridge played 40 minutes and Pryzibilla was at 35, so it's pretty bad (and Juwan Howard is the only guy behind them on the depth chart).

They're pretty well hosed.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1425 » by LyricalRico » Sun Dec 6, 2009 3:15 pm

Portland still has Pryzbilla, who is a better rebounder than Oden at this point. But this does open up potential minutes for Aldridge at C, which makes a Jamison trade more of a fit for them (at least in the short term). I'm still hesitant to deal Jamison, though, because I think his presence helps Arenas.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1426 » by closg00 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 3:51 pm

No-surprise, James is on the block per the wiretap. What position do you see Ernie trading James for?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#1427 » by Hoopalotta » Sun Dec 6, 2009 4:07 pm

closg00 wrote:No-surprise, James is on the block per the wiretap. What position do you see Ernie trading James for?

I suspect that there's not much to this story. It's from Mike Lee's blog and probably is getting a bit overblown.

Lee also dropped the bombshell that "Mike James was very available last summer". :o Dude!

If there were an impending trade with James, it would likely be a lot bigger than James and the prime rational for making the trade would have little to do with him in isolation. I suppose there is some kind of a chance that we'd move James for another expiring at another position, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Honestly, I think it's just the national media running with a local story with no context. Everyone has known since James got here that he'd be available for anything that would be even remotely advantageous to the Zardo's
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1428 » by no D in Hibachi » Sun Dec 6, 2009 5:15 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:
heathmalc wrote:How about this deal with your arch-enemies?:

Cleveland gets:
Antawn Jamison
Caron Butler

Washington Gets:
JJ Hickson
Jamario Moon

AJ and CB for a bunch of overrated players and late round draft picks (assuming James stays)...???

No thanks...

yeah, cav's fans are idiots. I can't wait for lebron to leave cleveland this summer and make them all suck it. once lebron leaves cleveland they will be, without question, the crappiest sports city in the entire world. the browns, indians, and lebronless cavs would have a total winning percentage of below .200.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1429 » by LyricalRico » Sun Dec 6, 2009 5:49 pm

James is earning $6.5 million this season in the last year of his contract and multiple league sources have confirmed that he was very available last summer. Another person with knowledge of the Wizards' plans said that the team would like to move James's expiring contract before the February trade deadline.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... rdsinsider

Finally, some action!

:clap:
closg00
RealGM

Post#1430 » by closg00 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 6:25 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
James is earning $6.5 million this season in the last year of his contract and multiple league sources have confirmed that he was very available last summer. Another person with knowledge of the Wizards' plans said that the team would like to move James's expiring contract before the February trade deadline.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... rdsinsider

Finally, some action!

:clap:

:nod: Hopefully your guy can work some magic :wink:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1431 » by LyricalRico » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:03 pm

^ I wonder if this is a signal that they are willing to give up an expiring contact to take on a salary in the $6-8M range for next season? I know that it costs double because of the tax, but I'm just saying.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1432 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:20 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ I wonder if this is a signal that they are willing to give up an expiring contact to take on a salary in the $6-8M range for next season? I know that it costs double because of the tax, but I'm just saying.

I think it would be a really bad move. But hey, it's not my money.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1433 » by closg00 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:22 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ I wonder if this is a signal that they are willing to give up an expiring contact to take on a salary in the $6-8M range for next season? I know that it costs double because of the tax, but I'm just saying.

I have a feeling that we are finally going to get a decent back-up vet PG somehow, that is our most pressing need whether Gilbert recovers fully or not. Boykins has steadied us a bit, but he is not a long-term solution. Ernie will get us a deal that ultimately gets us under the cap next year.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1434 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:37 pm

closg00 wrote:

I have a feeling that we are finally going to get a decent back-up vet PG somehow, that is our most pressing need whether Gilbert recovers fully or not. Boykins has steadied us a bit, but he is not a long-term solution. Ernie will get us a deal that ultimately gets us under the cap next year.

That would be a remarkable achievement: trade the expiring contract of a crappy PG and get back a better PG while also saving us millions of dollars next year. R.C. Buford couldn't pull that off.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1435 » by montestewart » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:45 pm

nate33 wrote:

I think it would be a really bad move. But hey, it's not my money.

When team ownership is up in the air as a result of probate or some other issue, making roster moves can be difficult; Atlanta had that issue a few years ago when they were trying to sign Joe Johnson. I wonder what actions (if any) Leonsis has taken to communicate to the Pollin estate his intentions and his willingness (if any) for the estate to spend money to improve the Wizards, rather than simply hold the line until the transition is complete.

I don't really follow the Capitols, so I don't know if that's a Leonsis type of move ("Spend the money! I want a winner!").
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1436 » by LyricalRico » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:47 pm

Here's a thought - what about paying somebody with an open roster spot $3M and giving them a second round pick to get James off our cap at the deadline? They don't pay anything out of pocket and get a 2nd for their trouble. If we can under the tax for this season, it not only saves us a tax bill but puts us in line to get some of the payout.

If I was taking over this team and I could immediately move a guy who isn't going to play and get a net multi-million dollar savings/profit out of it, I'd make it a priority. Maybe that's what this is.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1437 » by miller31time » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:54 pm

Why are we interested in trading James? Do we want to pay a billion dollars in taxes next season?
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#1438 » by MJG » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:59 pm

Well, we can move James without having to take back a long term contract. There has to be another team with a smaller expiring contract that would take back say James+Crittenton. We could deal that duo for:

GSW: Claxton+George ($1.1 instantly saved)
LAC: Telfair+Davis+Collins ($1.2 instantly saved)
NJN: Battie ($1.3 instantly saved)

It's basically giving away Crittenton to anybody who is willing to pay his salary to see what he can do for them for half a season. It's not much, but we'd save $2+ million post-tax, and every little bit helps, especially when we're talking about players we don't care about.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#1439 » by Blazinaway » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:01 pm

miller31time wrote:Why are we interested in trading James? Do we want to pay a billion dollars in taxes next season?

Blake/Rudy/Outlaw for Butler and ?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1440 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:04 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Here's a thought - what about paying somebody with an open roster spot $3M and giving them a second round pick to get James off our cap at the deadline? They don't pay anything out of pocket and get a 2nd for their trouble. If we can under the tax for this season, it not only saves us a tax bill but puts us in line to get some of the payout.

If I was taking over this team and I could immediately move a guy who isn't going to play and get a net multi-million dollar savings/profit out of it, I'd make it a priority. Maybe that's what this is.

We discussed these options about 80 pages back in this thread. I agree that they make a lot of sense.

The trade deadline is about 65% of the way through the season. At that time, James will only be owed $2.4M of his $6.4M contract. We could trade him to somebody for nothing at all in return, and send $3M to cover his expenses. From the receiving team's point of view, they get $0.6M for doing nothing at all, and they also add a reasonably competent 3rd PG. From our point of view, we spend an additional $0.6M in order to save ourselves from paying $6.4M in luxtax matching fees.

If necessary, we throw in a 2nd round pick, or maybe the right for the other team to swap 2nd rounders.

The trade will work with any team who is $6.4M or more under the cap. (I think OKC is, but I'm not sure if all of their transactions are properly updated.) It could also work with somebody with a large trade exemption, though that team would need to be substantially under the luxtax threshold for it to make sense for them.

Return to Washington Wizards