ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizard's Summer League (Las Vegas) (7/14)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Wizard's Summer League (Las Vegas) (7/14) 

Post#1 » by WizStorm » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Summer league is right around the corner. With no draft picks to get a look at, we figure to see plenty of undrafted rookies and nbdl ballers on the squad.

Right now, here is the current list of players that will be in attendance (as of 7/1):
- Nick Young (6'6", 200 lbs) [SG - Wizards]
- Javaris Crittenton (6'5", 200 lbs) [PG - Wizards]
- JaVale McGee (7'0", 237 lbs) [C - Wizards]
- Dominic McGuire (6'9", 230 lbs) [G/F - Wizards]
- Josh Heytvelt (profile) (6'11", 260 lbs) [F/C - Gonzaga]
- Alade Aminu (profile) (6'10", 230 lbs) [PF - Georgia Tech]
- Tyrese Rice (profile) (6'0", 183 lbs) [PG - Boston College]
- Kyle Spain (profile) (6'5", 220 lbs) [SG - San Diego State]
- Brandon Wallace (profile) (6'9", 203 lbs) [F - South Carolina]
- Tywain McKee (stats) (6'2", 182 lbs) [G - Coppin State]
- Jason Rich (stats) (6'3", 205 lbs) [G - Florida State]

Cut:
- Ryan Ayers (profile)(6'7", 210 lbs) [SF - Notre Dame]
- James Lang (bio) (6'10", 285 lbs) [C - NBDL]
- Diamon Simpson (profile) (6'7", 230 lbs) [PF - Saint Mary]
- Jimmy Baron (stats) (6'3", 195 lbs) [SG - Rhode Island]
- Alex Ruoff (profile) (6'6", 220 lbs) [SG - West Virginia)

Washington Wizards Summer League Schedule
Tuesday, July 14 vs. Cleveland 6:30 pm ET at Thomas & Mack
Wednesday, July 15 vs. Denver 10:30 pm ET at Thomas & Mack
Friday, July 17 vs. Minnesota 8:00 pm ET at COX Pavilion
Saturday, July 18 vs. LA Clippers 8:30 pm ET at Thomas & Mack
Sunday, July 19 vs. New York 4:00 pm ET at COX Pavilion
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Re: Wizard's Summer League (Las Vegas) (7/14) 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:20 pm

I'll be there. The Wizards will be playing July 14th to the 19th.

I'd love to see the Wiz add Gonzaga PF Josh Heytvelt or Georgia Tech PF Alade Aminu, one of them could have a decent shot at making the roster.
Agent0_MVP
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Agent0_MVP » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:28 pm

If I were Wizards Management I wouldnt even worry with undrafted FA's. I would play our guys that are ready to play to start getting that chemistry working. We cant be scared of getting hurt. If it happens..thats what is meant to be. We need to get the guys out there, mostly the bench and get Mike and Randy playing. Start running the new offenses and defenses and start turning heads. We need to keep searching for that VET we still have the money for and we need to look for a trade for James. If not I think James would be a keeper. I still like James off the bench. But since we need bigs we gotta make a trade a hopefully get a nice Vet for around the leagues MLE.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#4 » by WashWiz54 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'll be there. The Wizards will be playing July 14th to the 19th.

I'd love to see the Wiz add Gonzaga PF Josh Heytvelt or Georgia Tech PF Alade Aminu, one of them could have a decent shot at making the roster.

I agree with Heytvelt. I truly believe GM's will be knocking their heads for passing on him.

Another big-man I like is Jeff Adrien out of UConn. He was the leader of UConn since he practically stepped foot on the court. He's very undersized for the PF position (6'6") but he has long arms to compensate. He's worth a shot and he could end up being a Ronnie Turiaf type player. Not bad for being undrafted.

The other undrafted players I like are guards so we'd need to clear some space for them to work.

Dionte Christmas is going to be a heck of a role-player but I doubt he comes here. He's got a silky smooth jumper and reports are eight teams have already contacted him.

Jeremy Pargo might end up being a decent backup PG worth a look, but the PG I love is Tyrese Rice. I usually hate all New England teams but this guy made me root for BC. He has a jumper and was a leader among boys. His hometown is actually Richmond so maybe the Wiz give him a homecoming.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#5 » by Ji » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 pm

i heard we sold our chance to pick up an undrafted FA
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#6 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Ji wrote:i heard we sold our chance to pick up an undrafted FA

:lol:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#7 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:58 pm

+1 on Jeff Adrien, he is sure to get camp invites.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 pm

No McGuire?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#9 » by fishercob » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:17 pm

LyricalRico wrote:No McGuire?

I guess when you start 57 games you graduated from summer league.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#10 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 pm

LyricalRico wrote:No McGuire?

He doesnt need summer league, he just needs to shoot jumpers all day long
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#11 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:30 am

i would be shocked/upset/disappointed/angry if Young/McGee don't dominate summer league.
Bullets -> Wizards
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#12 » by fishercob » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:40 am

This is the first year in a while that no one we are depending on to be a major contributor is playing summer league. Sure, we all have high hopes for McGee (and some do for Young and Critt) but if all goes well, he won't be one of our top seven or eight guys this year. The whole thing takes on a different tone.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#13 » by yungal07 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:34 am

Dmac needs to play. He needs a ton of work too. Starting for a JV team last season doesn't change that.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:59 am

pancakes3 wrote:i would be shocked/upset/disappointed/angry if Young/McGee don't dominate summer league.

Nick's gonna be traded.

No way he belongs in summer league. They must be giving him all kinds of grief if he's trying that hard to please.

I'm not a Young fan but that guy's been in the league three years and he's got starter talent. NO WAY IN HELL should he be in summer league.

Is Flip coaching? Is this a way of saying that they think Nick needs advanced instructions to even hope to learn Flip?

What on earth is Nick doing playing in summer league?

(PS--He didn't impress last year in summer league IIRC. Why would he this season?)
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:What on earth is Nick doing playing in summer league?

Maybe it's his last chance to show that he can grow up. Maybe the new coaching staff wants to see if he can stop goofing off and dominate lesser talent before they make a final decision on trading him (which I think they will anyway).
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#16 » by closg00 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:43 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:What on earth is Nick doing playing in summer league?

Maybe it's his last chance to show that he can grow up. Maybe the new coaching staff wants to see if he can stop goofing off and dominate lesser talent before they make a final decision on trading him (which I think they will anyway).

...and Nick was the-suck last SL.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#17 » by Benjammin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:55 pm

closg00 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

...and Nick was the-suck last SL.

He was embarrassingly bad in the SL last year. It was painful to watch. I would think there's nowhere to go but up for him at least.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Zerocious » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 pm

i am happy to see blatche has graduated from summer league, wait, he played last year right?
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#19 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Is Veeremenko going to play again in the Summer League? He was very mediocre last year. Didn't show that he's even NBA-caliber. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Veremeenko

He'll be 25 and I'm guessing he'll never play with the Wiz. He's closer to 6-8 than Wiki has him listed at 6-11.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#20 » by dlts20 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:05 pm

I disagree with you guys about the SL. Just because a guy plays or doesnt play means nothing. Even established guys like Nate Robinson played there last year. Some guys go just because they want to. I could see NY & McGee volunteering because they played in that other SL together and they just feel like playing ball. McGee may have asked NY to just come play with him. At the same time I could see EG wanting some of our guys to play just so they can get a jump on the Saunders system. Personaly, Im always 50/50 about the SL. I dont think its that great to play in unless youre going to play with guys who youve already played with before. Like last year you could tell that the chemistry was way off for a guy like NY. I actually wouldnt mind seeing us bring all of our guys. Bring Critt, NY, Dom, Blatche, & McGee. That way we have 5 guys who have all played together, know what eachother likes to do, and they can learn the sytem together.

None of our guys need to go except for maybe Critt & McGee but I think some will just want to go. I think its good for a guy like Blatche to guy sometimes just so he can have a few games where he is the #1 option and can get use to dominating some guys. Alot of our young guys may not get big minutes this year so this is there only real time to play. You also have situations where its a new staff and guys want to show off for the coach. Like McGee may not be in Flip's plans in terms of rotation but then if he goes to the SL and averages 20 & 10 then it could change Flips mind. Thats another reason why I think NY is going. I think his spot is secure but he may want to show Flip then he can be just like Rip. That may lead Flip to moving him over Foye or Miller or both. If you look at all the guys we have, 1 of the group between Miller, Foye, NY, and Dom will probably not play alot. NY may be going to try to get that spot. I think Dom would be dumb if he let NY go and he didnt because it gives him an advantage in terms of playing time

Return to Washington Wizards