ImageImageImageImageImage

Washington Wizards Salary Cap

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Re: Washington Wizards Salary Cap 

Post#81 » by crackhed » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Dat2U wrote:I have never accused Abe of being cheap. And if Abe was the one who wanted to sell the 2nd rounder for $2.5 million to put towards future luxury tax payments, I completely understand.

My problem is with EG putting us in this position in the first place. Contrary to CCJ's diatribe against the Arenas re-signing, I'd like to point to all the other moves EG has made where he totally ignored the long term financial implications. Songaila, AD, DeShawn for example. I understand the argument Sev made about needing to overpay to get a guy like AD but honestly they weren't worth the cost. The only time I'd say its worth overpaying to keep or acquire a role player is when the team has actual championship aspirations. Giving AD those extra years wasn't getting us out of the first round. And not giving DeShawn $20 million wasn't going to turn us from a 43 game winner into a 33 game winner.

Secondly, EG has traded the 5th pick on two occassions. I understand the desire to acquire a veteran and not have to wait for a young player to develop. But odds are, if you have a top 5 pick, your getting a solid NBA contributor. And one that has the added benefit of being paid on a rookie wage scale. So when EG trades for a veteran making $14 mil a year, or trades for two guys entering their contract years, not only does he forgo adding a relatively inexpensive contributor to the roster, he potentially explodes the cap by adding one or two pieces that cost significantly more.

I find it hard to believe that in one year Miller & Foye could potentially demand 12-15 million per year combined, when we could have easily had a talented guy on the rookie scale at around $4 mil per. Even if you add in Songaila's salary for one year, its still less than $9 mil combined.

To me that's poor financial mangement. Passing up the opportunity to use the 32nd pick to cheapily fill a roster spot also seems short sighted IMO as well. $2.5 million is nothing to sneeze at but its not like we were trading a mid or late 2nd rounder. The 32nd pick is often has more value then late 1st round picks b/c regardless of what draft it is, there's 1st round talent that slips to the 2nd round and can be had at a rookie minimum price. But we were forced into the position of selling off assets b/c of EG's inability to reign in spending.

quick question dat...
based on ur preferred scenario (i.e. without foye & miller; but instead with #5 and blair),
- would they have enuff talent to take the next step and contest the ECF? and if no, how long will they have to wait on these picks to help take them to the next level?

my guess is captain EG has decided that HHS wizards has left for championship island. no more rookies allowed on board.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson

Return to Washington Wizards