ImageImageImageImageImage

And for his 2009 Barry Farms debut...

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

kblack
Sophomore
And1: 2

And for his 2009 Barry Farms debut... 

Post#1 » by kblack » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 am

FYI, Gilbert's supposed to be playing tonite barring rain...actually, he should be playing now!
I'm not there unfortunately.

Mods, merge if neccessary...couldn't find the other thread.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: And for his 2009 Barry Farms debut... 

Post#2 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:17 am

kblack wrote:FYI, he's supposed to be playing tonite barring rain...actually, he should be playing now!

Should we assume you are talking about Agent Zero? Any updates from the locals?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#3 » by Benjammin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 am

If he keeps playing on hard courts they should void his contract (if there were such a clause in his contract). I love how he is so accessible to the fans, but after the ridiculous saga over the last few years the last thing Gil should be doing is playing on courts that aren't easy on his knees.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#4 » by JWizmentality » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:32 am

Benjammin wrote:If he keeps playing on hard courts they should void his contract (if there were such a clause in his contract). I love how he is so accessible to the fans, but after the ridiculous saga over the last few years the last thing Gil should be doing is playing on courts that aren't easy on his knees.

Cause the grass courts of the NBA absorb more foot pressure? :confused:

I grew up playing on asphalt. The only difference with asphalt is that people are gonna know when your backside took a charge. :-?

Brutal.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#5 » by Benjammin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 am

Gil even admitted last year I believe that he thought playing at Barry Farms caused him to have a setback in his recovery. I love his competitiveness and spirit, but discretion is the better part of valor. Now if he has a healthy season this year and then wants to play Barry Farms the next summer I would probably feel better about that. In the last two full years he's played in FIFTEEN regular season games and four playoff games. In the last TWO YEARS, he's been paid TWENTY SIX MILLION DOLLARS. That comes out to 1.37 MILLION dollars a game. So excuse me if I'm cautious about how Gil handles his recovery. Having said all of that, we don't even know if he did play or will play at Barry Farms. However, if he does I would not be happy if I were the one who has paid him twenty six million for 19 games.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#6 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:16 am

Seriously, if Gil thinks that being "of the people" is important, rent out a gym somewhere, rent a bunch of busses for all the local who normally attend Barry and bring everyone to see him. What does it take to get this guy to err on the side of caution?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
yungal07
Banned User

Post#7 » by yungal07 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 am

fishercob wrote:Seriously, if Gil thinks that being "of the people" is important, rent out a gym somewhere, rent a bunch of busses for all the local who normally attend Barry and bring everyone to see him. What does it take to get this guy to err on the side of caution?

Man, that's disrespectful on so many levels. You obviously don't know anyone from Barry Farms. I do, and that would be a big slap in the face.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#8 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:54 am

barry farms isn't a blacktop. it's a pretty nice outdoor surface. i think this is making mountains out of molehills. if his knee is strong, then it'll be able to take on a few extra pickup games. playing him 40mpg instead of 32 mpg over the course of an 82 game season will add infinitely more stress to his knee than jacking a few 30 footers at BF.
Bullets -> Wizards
kblack
Sophomore

Post#9 » by kblack » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Quick update, they didn't play yesterday due to rain. He's scheduled to play tonight at 7:30 barring rain. I'll be there.
Notorious_1
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Notorious_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm thinking about going tonight myself. Just wondering what the events have been like in the past...have they gone without any incident? Never been to Barry Farms but I past by it everyday.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:44 pm

yungal07 wrote:
fishercob wrote:Seriously, if Gil thinks that being "of the people" is important, rent out a gym somewhere, rent a bunch of busses for all the local who normally attend Barry and bring everyone to see him. What does it take to get this guy to err on the side of caution?

Man, that's disrespectful on so many levels. You obviously don't know anyone from Barry Farms. I do, and that would be a big slap in the face.

No disrespect intended. Apologies if I offended you/

This is what Cassell said to Mike Wise about Gil playing at Barry:

"For him to come out here, where people can't afford a ticket to a Wizards' game, tells you who Gilbert is and what he is about," said Cassell told Mike Wise at the time.

I wasn't suggesting renting a gym/busses as a practical alternative, I was saying that Gil should take it easy on the knee until he's shown on the NBA hardwood that he's fully back.. But if, as pancakes says, Barry isn't blacktop then I have less of a problem with it.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
kblack
Sophomore

Post#12 » by kblack » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Notorious_1 wrote:I'm thinking about going tonight myself. Just wondering what the events have been like in the past...have they gone without any incident? Never been to Barry Farms but I past by it everyday.

These days, the legend of Barry Farms far outweighs the reality. It's all love out there, no problems whatsoever.

Probably wouldn't want to bring the kids though!
Notorious_1
Freshman

Post#13 » by Notorious_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:53 pm

kblack wrote:
Notorious_1 wrote:I'm thinking about going tonight myself. Just wondering what the events have been like in the past...have they gone without any incident? Never been to Barry Farms but I past by it everyday.

These days, the legend of Barry Farms far outweighs the reality. It's all love out there, no problems whatsoever.

Probably wouldn't want to bring the kids though!

Oh ok..that's good to hear. So I will be there tonight, assuming I can get a babysitter.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#14 » by FreeBalling » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 pm

kblack wrote:FYI, Gilbert's supposed to be playing tonite barring rain...actually, he should be playing now!
I'm not there unfortunately.

WTF - :noway: 111-Mill

Can we get him to ride a Harley to the blacktop event.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
yungal07
Banned User

Post#15 » by yungal07 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:14 pm

fishercob wrote:

Oh no prob man...you didn't offend me at all. I was just trying to convey just how the folks at Barry Farms feel about their community. They are very protective of it, and if Gil decided he didn't want to play there, and instead tried to "bring the game to him" so to speak, there would be a lot of angry SE Washingtonians.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#16 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:49 pm

yungal07 wrote:
fishercob wrote:

Oh no prob man...you didn't offend me at all. I was just trying to convey just how the folks at Barry Farms feel about their community. They are very protective of it, and if Gil decided he didn't want to play there, and instead tried to "bring the game to him" so to speak, there would be a lot of angry SE Washingtonians.

Yungal.... I don't know why they'd be angry. If anything, I would think they'd be understanding if Gil decided to "bring the game to him" so to speak.

It's all about Gil's long term health.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#17 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:57 pm

Out of curiosity, I wonder if Gil has actually been cleared to play on this particular type of surface? :(
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
XsamhainX_999
Junior

Post#18 » by XsamhainX_999 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Looked at the Goodman League website & it says they stream the 7:30 games live. Link below...

http://thegoodmanleague.com/league/?page_id=159

Haven't tried it ever and it looks like a new feature to their site, so I can't guarantee it will work. Hopefully it does though.
Notorious_1
Freshman

Post#19 » by Notorious_1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:43 am

Gil had to go to Chicago this morning so he's not here..just an FYI

Return to Washington Wizards