ImageImageImageImageImage

Tracking Former Wizards 3.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Tracking Former Wizards 3.0 

Post#801 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 6, 2012 11:56 am

Kanyewest wrote:Looking back, I actually think the Wizards actually met expectations in the posteason. In 2005, getting to the 2nd round was good and no one had them beating the Heat who went on to the conference finals (although maybe they should have won a game or 2). In 2006, the Wizards struggled without Larry Hughes but managed to make it to the playoffs, LeBron going nuts and the refs not calling travel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGiBXYJi ... ure=g-like), and Gilbert missing 2 crucial free throws down the stretch in game 6 cost them the series. In 2007, Arena and Butler went down with injuries. And in 2008, that was a nice run but looking back now, it's not surprising that a team with caron Butler as your best player got knocked out in the 1st round.

But yeah EJ has his faults. His team's defenses were inconsistent. He overplayed Jamison who often wore down when it came down to the postseason and he didn't give Haywood enough minutes.

Ultimately the team failed because Arenas never came back to 100% and that wasn't EJ's fault.

The D was not inconsistent. It was very consistent. Consistently terrible.

He not only overplayer AJ, he overplayed CB and Gil. All three were in the top 10 players for min/game year after year. Kind of the opposite of what a Pops does.

Not playing Haywood was obviously stupid.

Running Tibbs out of town was as big a blunder for EFJ as it was for Abe allowing it to happen.

Given the talent they had and the weakness of the conference, they should have done more. But EFJ would always wear the team down by over playing them early in the season and right after injuries.

Randy will be 10x better as a head coach then EFJ was.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#802 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 6, 2012 1:30 pm

EJ also played Gil 40 minutes a game right after he came back from his injury.

I hear you ccj. Good points. But EJ's defense sucked, sucked, sucked and I just can't get past that.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#803 » by Kanyewest » Mon Aug 6, 2012 3:02 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:EJ also played Gil 40 minutes a game right after he came back from his injury.

I hear you ccj. Good points. But EJ's defense sucked, sucked, sucked and I just can't get past that.

I think blaming EJ for Gilbert not getting back to 100% is partially his fault but also the Wizards' medical staff who was in charge of rehabilitating Arenas. Also though, I think it was Gilbert's fault for not resting enough (ie taking 1000 shots a day in order to make a million or whatever in that summer). I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Arenas didn't listen to his doctors enough by not resting his knee properly during the rehab. Ultimately, Arenas didn't listen to his body and said that he was ready to come back when he wasn't and maybe that thad to do with the fact that he was in a contract year. Either way, it's not uncommon for players to see 35-40 mpg after knee surgery like Dwayne Wade or Jason Kidd.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#804 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 6, 2012 3:04 pm

Well, another thing is Arenas developed arthritis in that knee. I don't know if that's Arenas' fault for pushing too hard or just a freak thing that happened. If pushing too hard was part of the reason for him developing arthritis, then EJ and the medical staff share partial responsibility for not shutting Arenas down.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#805 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 6, 2012 3:29 pm

The arthritis was a likely a result of the surgery they did for the torn meniscus. Arthritis is (in essence) a hole in the cartilage lining of the joint. (Osteoarthritis is the kind that comes from injuries; rheumatoid arthritis is when the body's immune system attacks the cartilage.) The standard procedure for "fixing" a torn meniscus is to cut off the flap and remove it. That stops the knee from locking up, and -- if the hole is small enough -- doesn't significantly affect the shock absorbing features of the knee (at least in the short term) because there's enough of the meniscus left to still act as a cushion.

However, if there's a larger tear, or if the hole is closer to an edge and not in the center, the shock absorbing function can be affect. And, once there's a hole in the cartilage, the hole usually grows (arthritis). As the bones gets exposed and starts getting hit by running and jumping, pain starts up.

All this is based on research I've done about my own torn meniscus and arthritis.

In Arenas' case, I know they eventually did the microfracture surgery, which suggests that the meniscus he had left wasn't doing enough of the shock absorbing and that he was having pain. Since they did the microfracture procedure, it suggests the hole in the meniscus wasn't huge (the procedure apparently doesn't work as well with large holes in the cartilage). The microfracture surgery is supposed to get the body to regrow cartilage in the affected area.

A similar thing happened with Brandon Roy. He had several cartilage tears in his knee, and each time he had the docs remove the offending tear so that he could get back on the court quickly. In effect, he and his surgeons created the arthritis that sidelined him last season (and probably has ended his career) by cutting away the cartilage and creating the bone-on-bone situation.

My orthopedist wanted to do microfracture surgery on my knee a few years ago, but I passed. At my age, I figured I didn't have that much basketball left and I didn't want to take a year off for surgery, recovery and rehab. The pain was bearable until this past year. Now I'm considering getting it done -- I missed last season because of the knees, so I might as well rehab and whatnot while I'm relatively young and still have the energy for it.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#806 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 6, 2012 3:36 pm

Sheesh, at least you're still playing. I went down and threw up some shots a few weekends ago and there is just nothing there. Sad.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#807 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 6, 2012 4:10 pm

Nah -- I had to sit out all of last season (church league). We had practices on Tuesday night and games on Saturday. Seemed like every Tuesday and Saturday, I woke up with a throbbing knee. I haven't played ball in a year. I'll need to lose some weight and get some cardio work in before I would even think about getting out there again.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#808 » by MF23 » Mon Aug 6, 2012 4:51 pm

Go to Germany!
Et tu Bilas.
MD
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#809 » by W. Unseld » Mon Aug 6, 2012 9:13 pm

My fat a$$ is now 238 at 6'3" but I recently became much better at initiating post contact and finishing through the hacking. Couple that with a jumper and you can play in any 30 plus league around. I'm even playing in a young gun league thanks to masking my defensive deficiencies in a zone. OTOH from time to time we do get our a$$es kicked but we win more than we lose and there's few things in life more satisfying than beating younger, more athletic players that just don't know the game.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#810 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 6, 2012 10:11 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:EJ also played Gil 40 minutes a game right after he came back from his injury.

But he was consistent in that regard, right? :)

Even crappy defense didn't stop him from reaching mediocrity with his team, Zonker. Flip managed to be bad at both ends. Some games EJ successfully utilized the likes of Micheal Ruffin or Darius Songaila at C and he won. In the regular season, EJ made no defense actually work because he had an offense that made even Larry Hughes look good.

If the Lakers can get the best of their offense from EJ with Nash running it, and they can get the best of Mike Brown's defense, they'll do fine. I still think they're too old and don't have the young legs to stop teams. However, if they get their offense in sync and their depth better; the Lakers can still win it.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#811 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 6, 2012 10:22 pm

W. Unseld wrote:My fat a$$ is now 238 at 6'3" but I recently became much better at initiating post contact and finishing through the hacking. Couple that with a jumper and you can play in any 30 plus league around. I'm even playing in a young gun league thanks to masking my defensive deficiencies in a zone. OTOH from time to time we do get our a$$es kicked but we win more than we lose and there's few things in life more satisfying than beating younger, more athletic players that just don't know the game.

Word.

I'm still basking in the glory of routing a bunch of 12-14 years olds in flag football. Over 50 and still faster than those kids. My son is 12 and he's a long way from out jumping me. Dude can wear size 11 shoes now, but he's got a ways to go. He and younger son (10) will hopefully keep me young a while. Most of the dads were 30-something to early 40s, active duty soldiers. A couple of them were faster but that was it.

The scary thing is know guys in their 60s who are in much better shape and stronger than I am. Don't know if they're faster in a sprint, but they're definitely cut up, lean, and have good endurance. I know to respect my elders. :)

As far as playing ball goes, when I get disciplined and stop eating too much, the weight will come off and I will play again. It seems like games and things I couldn't do when I was younger, W. Unseld, I do way better now. Dribbling between my legs, shooting with my off hand, having good form on my jumper--I was young, dumb, and unable to do years ago when I could really get up. Now, I can do them. It is a shame I didn't know how then, but hopefully, can teach my little guys better than I was taught.
Bye bye Beal.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#812 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:44 pm

High praise from Hakeem on JaVale:

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball ... eedID=6356

I don't think Hakeem knows just how dumb a player JaVale is.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#813 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 pm

DMVleGeND wrote:High praise from Hakeem on JaVale:

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball ... eedID=6356

I don't think Hakeem knows just how dumb a player JaVale is.

Hakeem knows the history of the Wizards botching assets. I don't doubt one-bit what he said.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#814 » by DaRealHibachi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 am

"That guy should dominate the league."

True, EG and Flip held him back, no doubt about it...
:beer: Magnumt
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#815 » by miller31time » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 am

Hakeem is right. JaVale SHOULD dominate the league. This statement has never been questioned.

It's the actual, ya know, DOING it that remains to be seen.
closg00
RealGM

Post#816 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 am

We might be more excited if this franchise had any track record of player development, but it doesn't -- witness the Blatche/Young/McGee era -- and with Wall's progress just as stuck in the mud as everyone else's, it's not clear where or when a star might emerge. With all those handicaps, we have the Wizards at a bleak 28th in our outlook.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyPag ... s-6-120815

BINGO
closg00
RealGM

Post#817 » by closg00 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:48 pm

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#818 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Kinda funny Lakers are gonna have Eddie Jordan and Bernie Bickerstaff. Not to mention former Bullet Mitch Kupchak is GM.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
closg00
RealGM

Post#819 » by closg00 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Alonzo Gee is signing for 3-years $9.8 mil with the Cavs. Congrats!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#820 » by FAH1223 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Guys, JaVale is learning some stuff from Hakeem. Check it here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2YkRm2VjT0[/youtube]

Return to Washington Wizards