Haywood v. Tyson Chandler

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,678

Haywood v. Tyson Chandler 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:05 am

For some reason, Tyson Chandler is on the market again. If healthy (first question), he should up grade from Haywood as a rebounder and Wood gives NO the same basic package of defense/high percentage shots and can add to James or DeShawn to make up the salary difference. How do they compare as defenders, offensive players, jerk factor, etc.?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Re: Haywood v. Tyson Chandler 

Post#2 » by FreeBalling » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:38 am

I cant see TC being an upgrade, he thin not a banger. Haywood is a beast and we have a younger IMO upgrade in McGeeeeeeeeeeeee for a thin guy.

I think you'll see Haywood on the All-Star team this year, Haywood has 4 scorers around him so he more like a creater of the lanes and does all the hustle stats for the Wizards.

We only won 19 games from the year before down over 50%, the only diff was Haywood being out.

TC not going to give you 20 win, I'm sure.

Haywood is a class act - end of story.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,324

Post#3 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:47 am

Chandler is a better rebounder. Haywood is better at every other facet of the game. He's a MUCH better position defender. He's a better help defender, a better shotblocker, a better low post scorer, and even a better shooter.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#4 » by mohammed10 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:17 am

Why can't we have both?

:roll:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#5 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 4, 2009 5:19 am

mohammed10 wrote:Why can't we have both?

:roll:

I know right. Some people are just sooo short sighted. :nod:
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#6 » by MF23 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 11:24 am

I would trade James and Blatche for Chandler but not Haywood in any deal for him. Chandler and Haywood can score well enough to play together for maybe 10-15 mins a game.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#7 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:15 pm

I know right. Some people are just sooo short sighted.

How? The Wizards are several million above the lux tax threshold and if they send expirings for Tyson Chandler, who is at best redundant, they'd be screwed for years. They'd basically be chosing at that moment they are going with Chandler for the future and have to let Haywood walk because they simply won't be able to afford to keep him. Haywood is infinately better than Chandler and I have serious doubts about the fact that he'd be worth a hill of beans without Paul. Have you looked at his stats with and without Paul? It's not far fetched to say that McGee could be better next year than Chandler and how many games will Chandler miss this year? Call us short sighted, but at least call us realistic, and educated.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,357

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:47 pm

nDiH: Mockery is the sincerest form of mockery.

The Wiz will neither swap Haywood for Chandler, nor trade to have them both. He represents no real upgrade, currently costs more, and has injury issues. On the other hand, it's the offseason, might as well take a turn around the merry-go-round before you move on to better rides. Woo Tyson 'Chandelier'! Okay that was fun, let's go check out the Freak Show. Stephon Marbury anyone?
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#9 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:48 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:

How? The Wizards are several million above the lux tax threshold and if they send expirings for Tyson Chandler, who is at best redundant, they'd be screwed for years. They'd basically be chosing at that moment they are going with Chandler for the future and have to let Haywood walk because they simply won't be able to afford to keep him. Haywood is infinately better than Chandler and I have serious doubts about the fact that he'd be worth a hill of beans without Paul. Have you looked at his stats with and without Paul? It's not far fetched to say that McGee could be better next year than Chandler and how many games will Chandler miss this year? Call us short sighted, but at least call us realistic, and educated.

Chill out. Jesus crackers, you people have become so uptight :argue: on this board since the draft. Everything just goes straight over your heads. I don't want anything to do with Chandler on the roster. Gawd
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#10 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:44 pm

I think Tyson is fine if he is playing next to a Big center than can bang and shoot from the perimeter. Tyson is a p/f on defense and a center on offense. His body can't take the pounding of post defense against big centers but he is one of the best rebounders in the league if he doesn't take a pounding int the paint. He is kind of like Marcus Camby. Great shotblocker but his body can't take the pounding and banging in the post against true post players.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,146

Post#11 » by og15 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 5:00 pm

Haywood is better than Chandler and costs a lot less. Also the Hornets are not shopping Chandler because of pure money issues, they are shopping him because they do not trust his health. Chandler is someone the Wizards shouldn't care for at all.
eltacoman
Junior

Post#12 » by eltacoman » Sat Jul 4, 2009 5:21 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
no D in Hibachi wrote:

Chill out. Jesus crackers, you people have become so uptight :argue: on this board since the draft. Everything just goes straight over your heads. I don't want anything to do with Chandler on the roster. Gawd

DAMMMM whats up with the hate man ... im Latino but dats messed up homie lol
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#13 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 4, 2009 7:16 pm

eltacoman wrote:

:lol: Sorry. It wasn't meant to be a racial slur. Was just looking for a way not to use the Lord's name in vain.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#14 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 7:27 pm

Just Say No to Chandler.

First, he is a wiener
2nd, he is a wiener
3rd, he is a wiener.

I'd take Haywood any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I don't even thing we have seen the best of Haywood because he has gotten no respect in the past. EJ wasn't focusing on utilizing him and when Gil was last playing, it was all about Gil or EJ didn't have a PG or something like that.

Haywood did much better they year Gil wasn't playing and AD was the PG and EJ had no choice but to play him. But even then, they didn't focus on him for anything more then the start of a few games. I think Haywood could put some serious pressure on other teams posts players but scoring and getting them in foul trouble and hitting his FTs.

Haywood is just turning 30 and coming into his own. If there is anything to thank EJ for it is the bright side of the fact he did't play him a ton. Haywood has low millage There is no reason he doesn't have 6-8 more productive years in him. That my friends is a anchor in the center position that gives us a chance to be good for many years if we keep the rest of the roster working. This is one reason I want to see what McGee can do at PF and I want to see what Blatche can do at SF. Not that they would defiantly start but if they develop well, that would be an interesting line up for some minutes and give the team depth insurance
VA_story
Junior

Post#15 » by VA_story » Sat Jul 4, 2009 7:48 pm

It's really close to me ..so close that you would have to look at team needs to see which one is better. In our case, we need defense desperately ..so I'd say Chandler would be better on our team. But his contract is crazy, so I would be pissed if we got him.
LEADER OF THE "FIRE FLIP" CAMPAIGN
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#16 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 8:02 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
eltacoman wrote:

:lol: Sorry. It wasn't meant to be a racial slur. Was just looking for a way not to use the Lord's name in vain.

That's funny. I didn't read it as a racial slur. I thought it was like Jimany crickets
eltacoman
Junior

Post#17 » by eltacoman » Sat Jul 4, 2009 8:47 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
eltacoman wrote:

yeah i know u did not mean it to be a slur but you know some might ... im Latino so just dont make fun of Tacos n Burritos or yell La Migra when they really aint really around cuz you ll see me run faster than Usain Bolt lol i got stories lol :lol:
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,357

Post#18 » by doclinkin » Sat Jul 4, 2009 9:37 pm

On behalf of cracker nation let me say, we are not offended. Now if you said 'Jumpin Jehosaphat' why then the entire Jehosephat clan would descend upon you with firey vengeance.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#19 » by mohammed10 » Sun Jul 5, 2009 3:25 pm

doclinkin wrote:On behalf of cracker nation let me say, we are not offended. Now if you said 'Jumpin Jehosaphat' why then the entire Jehosephat clan would descend upon you with firey vengeance.

:nonono:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#20 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Mon Jul 6, 2009 12:25 am

Haywood for Chandler? Make it happen!!! /New Orleans perspective.

I do, however, think people are underrating Chandler on this board in many aspects. Go back and watch a game or two of the Spurs/Hornets playoff series when he was healthy, his man defence against Duncan is what took that series to 7 games.

Return to Washington Wizards