ImageImageImageImageImage

Starting Line up???

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: Starting Line up??? 

Post#61 » by mohammed10 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:15 pm

fifthstop wrote:It's cool that we have 5 options for the starting SG. Quite a contrast vs last year. Plus Mike James as a "break glass in case of emergency" option.

:lol:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#62 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:25 pm

nate33 wrote:
BYRDMAN RULZ wrote:I know I will be in the minority here, but I think we should start D-Mac at the 2 because of his defense and hustle. Let the Big 3 score and let Brendan control the middle and D-Mac guard the 2 and 3's we play against. We need at least one good perimeter defender in our starting 5. I have not seen enough of Miller to know about his defense, but if he can do the job then maybe him, but I really think we need a good defender starting at our 2. We know Gil for all his offensive prowess is not a good defender.

I mentioned this a while back. I like the symmetry with Foye backing up the 1 and 2, and Miller backing up the 2 and 3. It makes the rotations easier to manage.

If (and it's a big if) McGuire has improved his outside shot so that teams have to guard him, then this is something worth considering. But let's not forget about Nick Young. It's entirely possible that Nick Young has improved his D more so than DMac has improved his offense. It might make more sense to start Young.

I also would like to see the best defender at the 2 spot, provided that he is not completely useless on offense and can hit the open shot. Between Gil, Twan and CB, we already have plenty of firepower...we need someone to help Haywood on D and provide a little balance to the starting line-up. Frankly, the type of player DS was 2 years ago is the type of player that would serve well in the starting 5. Someone who can play D, hit the open shot, and not make mistakes. If McGuire is that man this year, I would be all for it (although I have my doubts he is capable of hitting the open shot). I haven't seen enough of Foye to determine how good he is on defense, but based on what I read I see him coming off the bench with Miller. I still think there is a good chance DS will regain the starting position if completely healthy. Nick may also steal that spot if he shows a committment on the defensive end.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#63 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:I also would like to see the best defender at the 2 spot, provided that he is not completely useless on offense and can hit the open shot. Between Gil, Twan and CB, we already have plenty of firepower...we need someone to help Haywood on D and provide a little balance to the starting line-up. Frankly, the type of player DS was 2 years ago is the type of player that would serve well in the starting 5.

Oh no you didn't! Now Dat2U is gonna have to come in here and tear you a new one.

I agree that a Stevenson type of player is a good fit alongside the Big 4. But it has to be somebody better than Stevenson (even better than the Stevenson of 2 years ago). Stevenson, at his best is a marginal starter. He would start on less than 5 teams in the league

If we're going to field a SG who has no slashing ability and is merely a mediocre outside shooter, he better damn well be an elite shutdown defender, not merely a modestly above-average man-to-man defender. Does the defensive advantage Stevenson has over Miller make up for the huge advantage Miller has in outside shooting, passing and rebounding?

I guess we'll have to wait until training camp before we really know the answer.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#64 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:15 pm

I don't see DeShawn starting again at SG. Not this season. Probably not ever again for the Wiz IMO.

First impressions last. Right now, Nick's played well in SL. Flip, the new coach, has brought in guys he watched in Minnesota, Foye and Miller. I just don't see how DeShawn overtakes any of those three players at SG.
Bye bye Beal.
jholmbe1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#65 » by jholmbe1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 pm

I also do not see any way that Stevenson starts. While I think he will be much better this year due to a healthy back and playing next to Gil, he has become a situational player. Foye, Young, and Miller are all superior players but Stevenson will get his chance to make an impact in limited minutes on the defensive end.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#66 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:15 pm

nate33 wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:I also would like to see the best defender at the 2 spot, provided that he is not completely useless on offense and can hit the open shot. Between Gil, Twan and CB, we already have plenty of firepower...we need someone to help Haywood on D and provide a little balance to the starting line-up. Frankly, the type of player DS was 2 years ago is the type of player that would serve well in the starting 5.

Oh no you didn't! Now Dat2U is gonna have to come in here and tear you a new one.

I agree that a Stevenson type of player is a good fit alongside the Big 4. But it has to be somebody better than Stevenson (even better than the Stevenson of 2 years ago). Stevenson, at his best is a marginal starter. He would start on less than 5 teams in the league

If we're going to field a SG who has no slashing ability and is merely a mediocre outside shooter, he better damn well be an elite shutdown defender, not merely a modestly above-average man-to-man defender. Does the defensive advantage Stevenson has over Miller make up for the huge advantage Miller has in outside shooting, passing and rebounding?

I guess we'll have to wait until training camp before we really know the answer.

Nate (and Dat 2U), I did not advocate Stevenson as our starting 2. I just noted that a Stevenson type of player is a good fit with the Big 4, and that I wouldn't be surprised if Stevenson got the nod. Bottom line, I want the best defensive player at the 2 spot that can hit the open shot and not make mistakes. I don't care which player that is, and I agree we will have to wait until training camp before we really know the answer.

I will say, however, that people of this board have short memories. 2-3 years ago when DS was healthy and not asked to carry the load most people on this board were fine with him. In fact, I distinctly remember people saying "Larry Hughes who?" I'm not saying that everyone thought he was the greatest SG in the league. However, at his price and with this team, most people seemed to agree DS was a good fit.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,771

Post#67 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:08 pm

PG Arenas
SG Miller
SF Butler
PF Jamison
Cc Haywood

This seems like the most balanced starting line-up (and also a very good one). Miller is an excellent glue-guy and a good all-round player. He can also shoot the lights up and D-up on; a perfect compliment to Arenas in the backcourt. I'd like to see Foye as a 6th man spark off the bench. Haywood provides the muscle down low and I think Arenas will do an excellent job setting up his teammates. You know what to expect from Butler and Jamison, and a bench of Foye, Young and Blatche will provide youth and athleticism off the bench. Flip will make it all work, I'm sure of it.

As a Raps fan I must say I'm scared to see what Arenas is capable of this season. I think a few years on the sidelines will really have a positive influence on his mental aspect and approach to the game. He will play more of a facilitator roll (as we watched down the stretch of last season) and I think everyone else on the roster will benefit and offensive efficiency should go up. Arenas is still very capable of closing out games, something he doesn't garnish nearly enough respect for his ability to do. I expect 22 / 8 from Arenas on good percentages, with improved defense.

See you in the 1st round ;)
Go Raps!!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,088

Post#68 » by Dat2U » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:18 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:I will say, however, that people of this board have short memories. 2-3 years ago when DS was healthy and not asked to carry the load most people on this board were fine with him. In fact, I distinctly remember people saying "Larry Hughes who?" I'm not saying that everyone thought he was the greatest SG in the league. However, at his price and with this team, most people seemed to agree DS was a good fit.

Well you know I wasn't one of those people. :D Nate's right though. I understand the concept of finding someone to fit that role as a defender that can nail an open shot, but the guy absolutely has to be a better player than Stevenson. DeShawn is fine if you just want 45 wins and a playoff appearance, but an upgrade needs to take place if you want more than that.

He's not a good fit. He was never a good fit. He's a stopgap. And as a stopgap, he was passable for two years. But since the day Hughes left, SG has been the weak spot on the roster and when he started, Stevenson was the weak link in the starting lineup.

Personally, I think his days as a starting SG in this league are over. He was never a quality starter to begin with and the severity of his injury will probably rob him of any remaining athleticism he had.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#69 » by hands11 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:23 am

DCZards wrote:I see Foye starting at the SG. With he and GA, you have two combo guards (a la GA & LH) which, imo, is the best kind of situation for GA to operate in. You give up a little in size with Foye and GA as your starters (though both are at least 6-3 and well-muscled), but you make up for it in quickness, offensive firepower and clutch play.

Nick will compete for the starting SG, which should make for an interesting and competitive training camp and pre-season, but I'd expect Foye to get the nod. Miller will come off the bench to spell Caron (and AJ on occasion). It willl be sweet to have a proven scorer and playmaker, with a ton of experience, as the leader of the second unit.

Got to give EG props for the offseason. He gets an "A", imo, for the trade for Foye/Miller and a solid "B" for picking up a vet like Oberto to step in if the combo of Blatche/McGee fail to get it done as back-ups for BH.

MM will start the season for exactly the reasons you mentioned. They will ease GA along.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,345

Post#70 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:25 am

I don't know if Mike Miller starts. While he's a good all around player and 3 point shooter, he's a below average man to defender. I don't think he has the lateral quickness to keep up with most shooting guards and Caron Butler up to this point doesn't either (Butler has lost weight in the offseason so maybe he's a little bit quicker this season). I would think its more likely that Foye or Young.

Return to Washington Wizards