OT-WJFK is now the FAN lol

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

OT-WJFK is now the FAN lol 

Post#1 » by Ji » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:24 am

6-10 Junkies
10-2 Mike Wise and George Mason Basketball Comentator(cant remember his name)
2-6 Lavar Arrington and Chad Dukes

what do you guys think? Is this going to work. Junkies are saying nothing will really change for them. I dont think Lavar is going to be any good. Chris Webber would be much better
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Re: OT-WJFK is now the FAN lol 

Post#2 » by Soup's Uncle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:19 pm

I like the move. I get tired of listening to 980. I like how this won't be filtered by DS and Red Zebra.

I happen to only like the Junx when they talk about sports.

But who am I kidding, the Howard Stern Show triumphs over all.
F Street = Wall Street
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#3 » by barelyawake » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Hmmm I'm lost. What is happening to the Mike (of Don and Mike) Show?

PS... Everyone know the story about how the Don and Mike show messed with Abe over the name Wizards back in the day? I've told it before. Abe held a contest to pick the new name of the Bullets. The possible names, all just God awful, were listed in the Post for people to vote on. The conspiracy theory on this board is that the names were purposefully bad to get people to pick the Wizards (so as to have a logo that matched MCI's color/design). Anyway, the worst name on the list was Sea Dogs (What?), and Don and Mike got everyone to call in and vote for it. It won. So, the Wiz should now be called the Sea Dogs. But, Abe cried foul, dropped the contest, and picked Wizards.

PPS... I could never figure out which one was "Big" Owen Dukes. And what is happening with that show?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:29 pm

I gotta say - The Junkies have run their course. I loved their show back when they started as the Sports Junkies - it was a great idea, but now... I don't get why anyone would listen to them. They're just not interesting personalities, and none of them seems to be talented, smart or insightful at all. Mike Wise sounded very good on WTEM, but can he carry a show? Lavar is nowhere near the local icon he seems to think he is. I doubt he gets much of an audience. They need Mike O'Meara (sp?). Btw, whatever happened to Don Geronimo?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#5 » by barelyawake » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:I gotta say - The Junkies have run their course. I loved their show back when they started as the Sports Junkies - it was a great idea, but now... I don't get why anyone would listen to them. They're just not interesting personalities, and none of them seems to be talented, smart or insightful at all. Mike Wise sounded very good on WTEM, but can he carry a show? Lavar is nowhere near the local icon he seems to think he is. I doubt he gets much of an audience. They need Mike O'Meara (sp?). Btw, whatever happened to Don Geronimo?

Don's wife died in a car crash and eventually he retired. But, seriously anyone know what is happening to Big "O" and Dukes (which I always think/joke sounds like "Big" Owen Dukes) and/or Mike? I grew-up on Don & Mike. It'd suck to not have them around in some form.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#6 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Don retired this past year, a year or two after his wife (Freida, who was a character/personality on the show herself) was killed in a car crash. Their real last name is Source. You can google it to read the very sad news accounts.

Agreed on Lavar. I don't think he's all the popular. They might not have axes to grind or much to say, but fans would be much more moved if DGreen or Art Monk had their own shows. Maybe they think Lavar can be a decent loudmouth sports commenter a la Dibble/Salisbury/Golic, etc. I'm not listening either way, so I don't much care.

I have never heard barely's story on the team name contest being rigged. But MCI's colors didnt match the Wiz/Caps either... I'd be happy if they kept the Wiz name but returned to the RWB color scheme.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#7 » by barelyawake » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:40 pm

fishercob wrote:I have never heard barely's story on the team name contest being rigged. But MCI's colors didnt match the Wiz/Caps either... I'd be happy if they kept the Wiz name but returned to the RWB color scheme.

Someone here pointed it out. I forget who. They demonstrated the whole theory and showed the logos. The design and colors were damn close.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#8 » by Ji » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Mike O Meara has been fired and Big O will be given another job at cbs but not on the air at 106.7
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#9 » by MF23 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:28 pm

What no more Drab and Oscar. Those guys grew on me. The Junkies shouldn't change to much except they probably wont have as many celeb interviews. I won't miss them talking about politics. I had no intrest in Mike's show so now this Dukes, Arington and huge ego's show might at least be something worth checking out.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
MF23
Veteran

Post#10 » by MF23 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm

D P
Et tu Bilas.
MD
DieHardWizFan
Veteran

Post#11 » by DieHardWizFan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:23 pm

I am really bummed about Big O and Dukes. I think that was the funniest and most original show on the air. I like that Chad and Drab will be staying on for this new show but I don't like Lavar at all.

Hopefully the junkies go back to being a sports show and win me back.
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#12 » by cwb3 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 pm

I was a big fan of WJFK for many years. The Don and Mike show in particular was a favorite. I still dug The Mike O'Meara Show and thought Big O and Dukes were great up and comers. I am real bummed to see WJFK go to sportstalk and don't think it will be all that successful either. The only upshot for me personally is that the WJFK signal goes well into Fauquier Co VA where I live, so as I listen to the 1st quarter of Wizards games on my commute home for work, I won't lose the signal for the last 20 minutes of ride, like I do when the games are on 980.
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#13 » by barelyawake » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:02 pm

So, Big O and Dukes ended their show with the line, "And the winner of the Big O and Dukes contest is..."

Reminded me of when Don told the story about how he once quit a radio station. He put on the Eagle's single "I'm Already Gone" and left. And he listened to the radio as he drove out of town. He heard the record run out and there was dead air (with only the sound of a needle skipping across static) for a half-hour before the program director got there and switched the album. Probably my favorite yarn about quitting a job.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#14 » by FreeBalling » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Ji, you started a thread again. That's my answer. LOL.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html

Return to Washington Wizards