Take 2: Getting to know the WizFans

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Take 2: Getting to know the WizFans 

Post#101 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 2, 2010 7:05 pm

Just to update, I'm now 21 (going on 22 soon). I am in my first apartment with some buddies of mine. I now work for Outback Steakhouse as a waiter and I have just one more semester at Towson University before I'm free at last.

Carry on...
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#102 » by no D in Hibachi » Fri Jul 2, 2010 7:09 pm

Name: Luke
Locale: Denver, CO

User name: No D in Hibachi is pretty lame, but I became a member right at the peak of the Hibachi era, shortly after Gil ripped off his amazing 60 and 54 point performances against LA and Phoenix. In spite of his offensive greatness I was constantly throwing stuff at the TV because he'd let wastes of flesh like Eric Snow blow by him for uncontested lay-ups. I never quite understood how someone so talented, quick, strong, smart, and totally in control like Gil could be such a waste defensively.

I grew up in Northern Virginia as a huge sports fan, loved the O's, Skins, and C's. My kindergarten teacher was a big Celtics fan and would talk about Larry Bird. I loved her and so I became hooked on the C's. Finally in 1994 my dad bought tickets to go to the old USAirways arena to watch the Celtics play the Wiz. By this time I was 11 and totally captivated by the fab five movement and the game against the C's was the first game after Webber was traded to the Bullets and Howard signed. I still remember the 'we want webber' chants before he checked in off the bench. From that point on I've been a huge fan.

I remember we were too poor to buy cable/HTS so I used to listened to all the games on the radio with an unrivaled passion. Nothing stood between me and the AM 570 Bullets broadcasts. The only time I've not avidly followed the Bullets/Wiz since was after Webber was traded for Richmond. I just couldn't believe how pathetic that trade was, still can't. It took me a couple seasons to rebound, but I'd occasionally tuned into a game or two just to catch Ben Wallace lay the wood with a ferocious dunk. Dude could soar back then. It was actually winning the 2001 lottery that brought me back to full-fledged fandom again. It seemed like things were on the rise with a new top pick a few youngsters and no Wes. I still haven't quite gotten over the Kwame bust, but oh well.

My favorite Wiz/Bullet of all time is Gil, with Blatche as a close second. A Gil trade would destroy me. If he were moved I think I'd have mutual rooting interest, the Wiz would no longer be my lone prized jewel. Each of the last few years I've had unbridled optimism going into the season causing me to play "i'm gay for gilbert arenas" youtube clip. My wife hates that song like I hate Glee, but that's another story. I still hold out hope that Gil will have a monumental revival and silence all the nay-sayers.

After high school I pulled the steaks and moved camp to Idaho for college where I met my smokin hot wife, who ironically enough was from Laurel, MD. We got hitched, moved back to DC, but decided DC wasn't for us any longer, too expensive, and moved to CO. We have a 16 month old boy and I am a CPA during the week and my wife and I cater Carolina style pig pickins during the weekends. I now loathe the O's and no longer passionately follow the Skins. They're still my team, but Snyder and extremeskins.com killed it for me. Any webpage that has a 16,000 post thread dedicated to Colt Brennan scares me and makes me not want to be associated with the franchise.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#103 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jul 2, 2010 7:43 pm

miller31time wrote:Just to update, I'm now 21 (going on 22 soon). I am in my first apartment with some buddies of mine. I now work for Outback Steakhouse as a waiter and I have just one more semester at Towson University before I'm free at last.

Carry on...

Twat.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#104 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 2, 2010 10:44 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
miller31time wrote:Just to update, I'm now 21 (going on 22 soon). I am in my first apartment with some buddies of mine. I now work for Outback Steakhouse as a waiter and I have just one more semester at Towson University before I'm free at last.

Carry on...

Twat.

MJ7
Senior
And1: 942

Post#105 » by MJ7 » Sat Jul 3, 2010 7:35 pm

Name: Gary Farmar.

I've been a fan of the Wizards for quite a long time, I never liked the Bulls but was obsessed with Jordan, when he came to the Wizards I was ecstatic I felt like my dream came true. Kobe Bryant was a superstar that I thought would explode later on in his career, I noticed his unique style and similarities with Michael Jordan and I knew he would be great too. I'm a club goer and I enough partying, I feel like I know the game of basketball well and can't wait to continue posting.

User name: I picked MJ7 because I loved Michael Jordan and I liked Kevin Johnson, sadly both players at one point didn't fit my criteria, being a Washington Wizard.
Wizard/MJ fan
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#106 » by nate33 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:25 pm

bump
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#107 » by montestewart » Sat May 12, 2012 5:59 pm

cleek+wall, you ask how I became a fan of this sexy team? This big, strong, sexy team. Gee man, where to start?

See, dog, first of all, I'm a Taurus, and you know the deal with that. All I can say is, I spent years recovering from multiple bullet wounds, when suddenly, some wizard waved his wand at me, and I've been a big ball fan ever since.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#108 » by 7-Day Dray » Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Name: 7-Day Dray. Inspired by my favorite player, or used to be favorite player, Andray Blatche. Joined this board under the name 'DMVLeGenD', but made a new account just so I could get a new username (didn't know you could change your username on the same account before I made a new one).

My deal: Born in DC, and raised in PG County, MD. Currently attend DuVal High School in Lanham, MD. Just living life like the average teenage boy. Going to school, still worried about shoes, clothes, and girls. I also love playing sports (basketball and football) and video games.

Wiz Fan Cred: Been a fan of this team since I started watching the NBA in 04. Haven't attended a game yet (money's tight), but will hopefully attend one soon. Try to watch every game I can. Favorite all-time Wiz player is Gilbert Arenas. Favorite moment as a Wizards fan was when Gilbert hit that game-winner at Chicago in the 05 playoffs.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#109 » by willbcocks » Mon May 14, 2012 1:28 am

Severn Hoos wrote:
nate33 wrote:
willbcocks wrote:Name: willbcocks --> This is my real name. The day I joined this site was not a high point for my creativity...

My deal: I managed to accumulate the number of posts I currently have my first two years in college at UVA. Then I went to Australia my third year, was busy my fourth year, and have lived in Japan the last three years. During my time in Japan, I have not only not been able to watch any Wizards games, but I also have not have internet access at home (I have found that cutting off internet at home is the biggest gift of free time you can give yourself ), so, yeah, the posting has dried up completely.

As for what I have done here in Japan, first I taught English for two years in a small town on the JET Program, which mainly consisted of me sitting in the staff room teaching myself Japanese. Now I am getting my master's degree in international relations at Waseda university in Tokyo, with tuition and living expenses on the Japanese government's dime. Sweet sweet deal. And this summer I am in the political section of the American embassy in Tokyo on a 3 month internship. After I graduate, I'll try to join the foreign service, and if that doesn't work out, I'll probably move to China and study Chinese.

Wiz Connection: Grew up in Arlington, always played basketball, and began to follow the wiz right before going to college. Was a kwame fan but...well, you can't win them all can you?

Geez willbcocks. Do you even like the United States? You are never in the country.

What does that have to do with anything? Plenty of people who don't like the United States live here - many of whom even "serve" in elected office... ;-)

Update: Now I'm married and in the foreign service, assigned to the Philippines. In 2013 I'll be assigned to a consulate in China. But I do like America and get to represent it overseas!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#110 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 am

I'm divorced. Family court is rough and at 51, I look back on some choices with regret. At the same time, I feel very blessed to be in my right mind and in reasonably good health. My kids are well. I feel good about maintaining my integrity and being there for my kids at all times.

As for myself, read my posts over the years. Put the pieces together and whatever that mosaic reveals, that's who I am to you.

My opinions about basketball related matters probably won't be offered in this forum much longer. I don't want to spam the board, willb, or to overpower with one man's opinion.
Bye bye Beal.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#111 » by willbcocks » Mon May 14, 2012 7:35 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm divorced. Family court is rough and at 51, I look back on some choices with regret. At the same time, I feel very blessed to be in my right mind and in reasonably good health. My kids are well. I feel good about maintaining my integrity and being there for my kids at all times.

As for myself, read my posts over the years. Put the pieces together and whatever that mosaic reveals, that's who I am to you.

My opinions about basketball related matters probably won't be offered in this forum much longer. I don't want to spam the board, willb, or to overpower with one man's opinion.

Now that Flip's gone, you're back on track and so are the Wizards. Also, draft season is your time to shine, so don't start holding back now.
cleek+wall
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#112 » by cleek+wall » Mon May 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm divorced. Family court is rough and at 51, I look back on some choices with regret. At the same time, I feel very blessed to be in my right mind and in reasonably good health. My kids are well. I feel good about maintaining my integrity and being there for my kids at all times.

cheer up, my friend. I dont always get sad but when i do , i prefer budweiser ..
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#113 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 14, 2012 6:27 pm

cleek+wall wrote:

cheer up, my friend. I dont always get sad but when i do , i prefer budweiser ..

The good news is I don't drink. But when I did (it has been over 20 years since I did regularly imbibe), I did NOT prefer Budweiser. :) I have probably had 4 or 5 Sam Adams in the last 3 or 4 years. My beer of choice way back in the day was Corona and Miller or Heineken before that. Bud was kind of nasty tasting to me. Honestly, the only times I drank much was to get over social shyness; or, whenever we go a bushel of crabs. You almost can't have Maryland blue crabs without beer. Other than that, I've kind of kept a lid on drinking. My mind doesn't need another vice.

That Dos Equis World's Most Interesting Man is so cool I'm sure he's brought them some good business.
Bye bye Beal.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#114 » by DallasShalDune » Mon May 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Update:

I'm 23, married to my high school sweet heart, and just got a job offer from a middle school in rural Missouri.

The post college transition is stressful, but overall, life has been going very well.

And the Wizards are playing a preseason game here in Kansas City in October. It will be my 2nd Wizards game, and my 1st in 9 years. I'm pumped.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#115 » by Dat2U » Tue May 15, 2012 4:46 am

Update: Now 37 although I'm still kid at heart and still can pass for much younger.

I'm now working two jobs (65 hrs a week) and trying to get my own record label off the ground. Got a hip hop artist coming out later this summer/fall.

Life is hectic and stressful but I'm handling it well. No complaints really. Life is good. Health is good. I work out like crazy nowadays. The only thing i consistently bitch about is Ernie Grunfeld, lol. A good woman would be nice but Lord knows I'd have no time for her right now.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#116 » by WashWiz54 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 am

Name: Mike

Username: Well, 54 is all to explain and that is for my once favorite Wizard: Popeye Jones. Loved his hustle and awkward shot that somehow went down with (some) consistency.

General Stuff: I'm your typical 22 year old that has no idea what he wants out of life. In the mean time between high school and now, I've managed to earn three associate degrees at NOVA. Needless to say, that school has given me all it can and I'm mulling going to a four-year school or starting to look for my future career. Up until a few months ago I worked installing radio units for police and fire but work dried up and I was released. Semi-looking for a new job but I kind of need to figure out the college stuff first. Until then... I play poker to get by :)

Relationship Status: Have a good girlfriend for almost a year now. I'd consider her my first "real" relationship and it's hard but worth it. I've changed quite through the relationship and (I think) it's all been positive. Minus her cutting into some sports time, that part sucks. :evil: We argue about me "cheating" on her with sports often. :lol:

Basketball/Wizards: Played as a kid and continue to try and play whenever my buddies are down for a game. Rarely do I go find pick up games because everyone seems to have their "why I didn't make it story" and they use pickup games to channel their inner-Kobe (which is more like Michael Ruffin). Anyways, got into the Wizards because they are local and they don't have an annoying cult following and despicable owner (hello, Redskins!) . However, the Kings made me fall in love with basketball so they're ranked right up there too. That 2000 era Kings team was incredible and what made me love watching the NBA (it was rigged, damnit!)

RealGM Board: Lurker turned poster. I must of been in middle school or high school when I officially joined. I remember sneaking on the site all through high school instead of doing work assigned. Became a pretty good troll on a different site dedicated to the Lakers during that tenure too. Good times.

Anyways, its cool being apart of this community even though I post less-often than most. I visit daily and usually learn something cool or interesting each time.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#117 » by dobrojim » Tue May 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The good news is I don't drink. But when I did (it has been over 20 years since I did regularly imbibe), I did NOT prefer Budweiser. :) I have probably had 4 or 5 Sam Adams in the last 3 or 4 years. My beer of choice way back in the day was Corona and Miller or Heineken before that. Bud was kind of nasty tasting to me. Honestly, the only times I drank much was to get over social shyness; or, whenever we go a bushel of crabs. You almost can't have Maryland blue crabs without beer. Other than that, I've kind of kept a lid on drinking. My mind doesn't need another vice.

That Dos Equis World's Most Interesting Man is so cool I'm sure he's brought them some good business.

I love my IPAs but I'm totally with you re Buds. I completely agree with their
slogan, Nothing Beats a Bud.

It actually does. I'd rather have nothing than a Bud. Nothing does indeed beat a Bud.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#118 » by dobrojim » Tue May 15, 2012 2:43 pm

DallasShalDune wrote:Update:

I'm 23, married to my high school sweet heart, and just got a job offer from a middle school in rural Missouri.

The post college transition is stressful, but overall, life has been going very well.

And the Wizards are playing a preseason game here in Kansas City in October. It will be my 2nd Wizards game, and my 1st in 9 years. I'm pumped.

good on you for teaching in a rural community.

My wife was an English teacher but knew that a real HS was not going to
be the place for her. She taught briefly in an adult-ed/ alternative HS, then later
as a GED instructor.

I probably already posted in this thread about myself but just in case, here
is the short version. 55 yo biologist at the NIH who also runs marathon and ultra
marathon distance races. My username comes from the fact that I also play dobro
which is an acoustic slide guitar of which there are 2 styles. I play what's called
a square neck dobro which is played lap style like a steel guitar.

Been a Bullets/Wizards fan since 1968 ~ when Earl Monroe was a rookie.
This was about the same time I became involved with music playing the guitar.

Married 21 years with 2 daughters (14/16), the younger one is a HUGE Wizards fan and
aspiring player. She can be heard on the radio post-game shows on a regular basis.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Official - Red Carpert Welcome Aboard New Members Thread 

Post#119 » by hands11 » Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:25 pm

With the playoffs gearing up, I expect we will see some new folks arriving to share in the excitement with other die hard Wizards fans. Well here we are. The good, the bad and the ugly, but all Wizards fans so that makes us part of the same dysfunctional abused family. :lol:

Its a deserve group here. Some comics, stat guys, optimists, doom-n-gloomers, and few insiders. We even have a poet.

If you are new to the board or just starting to post, welcome. Hopefully you stick around and contribute to the banter.

A few things that might help to know.

1) Game Threads are started by anyone that wants to start one but if a member starts one and the Wizards win, that member starts the next thread until they lose. So bring your mojo.

2) The board has a tradition of trying to keep things uncluttered so if there is an existing thread that could fit your comments, post them there instead of starting a new one.

3) There is a board rules, traditions, etc link just under the "New Topic" tab. You might want to take a look in there for more info on this kind of stuff.

That's the highlight, so welcome board. Make your introductions here if you would like. Its been a tough road but there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Lets hope its not a another train.

Go Wizards.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: Official - Red Carpert Welcome Aboard New Members Thread 

Post#120 » by mohammed10 » Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:39 pm

hands-

Nice thread - I wonder how many Raptors fans will jump on the Wizards bandwagon... :lol:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling

Return to Washington Wizards