ImageImageImageImageImage

Michael Lee: Oberto Agrees To Join Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Re: Michael Lee: Oberto Agrees To Join Wizards 

Post#141 » by keynote » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:13 pm

At the time, I thought Oberto would give us a viable third option at C, allowing Blatche to play the 4. But it seems as if Oberto has played his best ball at the 4, not the 5 (i.e., when he started in place of Jamison). Blatche has been fairly comfortable sliding between the 4 and the 5. So you're right: pure PF type like Joe Smith could've fit on this squad as well. We'd have lost some beef to throw at Dwight and Shaq, but that's about it.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#142 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:16 pm

I think Oberto was the right choice. And I think Flip has utilized him well. Oberto got more minutes early on when the youngsters were still learning Flip's system. Oberto was used to annoy the other team's best big man while committing a few hard fouls, setting some good picks and making a few cheap flops along the way. As Blatche found his groove, Flip played Oberto less and less. When Jamison got back, Oberto stopped playing except in situational defensive situations.

And don't underestimate the way the threat of playing Oberto has motivated Blatche.

I think we got exactly what we expected when we signed him for $1.9M. I've got no problems with the decision (other than, of course, the fact that we could have drafted Blair to do the same thing).
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#143 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:50 pm

The way I see it the bigs, including Oberto, are not what's wrong with this team. Oberto fouls more than he scores, but strangely enough, is still a net positive when he's on the court. Oberto could be very effective if used with a shotblocker and a scorer.

A frontcourt of Jamison, Oberto, Haywood could be extremely effective IMO. (see 82games)

The problem with him being on the court is he's in Blatche's spot, and Blatche is having a great season. Also, at times, the weaknesses of Oberto's game, as closq listed them, can really be exposed. Fab can kill a team by putting them in the penalty, not getting rebounds, and not being a threat to score. Flip can hide those weaknesses by keeping Oberto at PF and making sure Haywood or Blatche are there to help him defensively.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#144 » by closg00 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Whew! Thank goodness Ernie signed Orberto, he won't miss a beat in picking-up the slack for the hobbled Andray Blatche.

Return to Washington Wizards