Eastern match-ups - Wizards vs Cavs

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Re: Eastern match-ups - Wizards vs Cavs 

Post#61 » by montestewart » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:36 pm

nate33 wrote:The wildcard is Shaq. Shaq has owned Haywood throughout most of his career, but Haywood handled Shaq very well in his last season with Miami. Shaq looked much better than that last year with Phoenix. We'll see which Shaq shows up this year.

One game, lining up for a called jump ball, Shaq walked up to where Haywood was standing and physically nudged him from his spot before the jump. I have no idea what rule governs this, but Haywood got no help from the ref. I don't guess that part will change.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#62 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:49 pm

The Cavs/Wiz matchup really isn't the same.

The Wizards have a new coach and new system, along with a three new players who will be in the rotation (Miller, Foye, and Oberto) plus the return of Arenas with Haywood. Washington's additions of Foye and Miller won't damage chemistry as both are good passers with deep range that will be playing in place of lesser players. Oberto is a team player who won't disrupt things. Young, Blatche, and McGee all have better tutelage with coaches like Cassell and Flip in their ear at all times. Washington will be much better on many different levels.

The Cavaliers have Shaq, Powe, Parker, and Moon to mesh with Ilgauska, Varejao, West, and Gibson. Outside of Shaq being a huge low post upgrade and passing upgrade over Z, Cleveland added parts that won't necessarily improve upon what they had last season. There will be compeition for minutes. Defense was their calling card and only Moon figures to adhere to what they were. Mike Brown has the pressure of nothing but a championship sufficing. Lebron's potentially an unrestricted free agent. If all doesn't go well with Shaq chemistry could go the same way it went in Phoenix--downhill. Z's personality epitomizes class. Shaq is quite the opposite. Egotistical, overbearing, and attention-seeking with a mean streak that makes me consider him classless. I have a hard time seeing him succeed at Ilgauskas' expense.

This season's coaching matchup will not feature Songaila covering Ilguaskas or Mike Brown subbing in bigs in the fourht quarter to rebound over a tired Antawn Jamison. Lebron won't be guarded by Micheal Ruffin with Jamison as the only other "big".

And if there is any fairness, Gilbert will be healthy and the Wizards will have the healthiest team they've fielded in years.
Bye bye Beal.
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#63 » by cdouglas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:22 pm

It would REALLY be nice if the Wizards were to meet the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals and WIN....Lebron would have to shake hands and congratulate the Wizards! :pray: : : Now how would Lebron like those apples!! :lol:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#64 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Cavs/Wiz matchup really isn't the same.

The Wizards have a new coach and new system, along with a three new players who will be in the rotation (Miller, Foye, and Oberto) plus the return of Arenas with Haywood. Washington's additions of Foye and Miller won't damage chemistry as both are good passers with deep range that will be playing in place of lesser players. Oberto is a team player who won't disrupt things. Young, Blatche, and McGee all have better tutelage with coaches like Cassell and Flip in their ear at all times. Washington will be much better on many different levels.

The Cavaliers have Shaq, Powe, Parker, and Moon to mesh with Ilgauska, Varejao, West, and Gibson. Outside of Shaq being a huge low post upgrade and passing upgrade over Z, Cleveland added parts that won't necessarily improve upon what they had last season. There will be compeition for minutes. Defense was their calling card and only Moon figures to adhere to what they were. Mike Brown has the pressure of nothing but a championship sufficing. Lebron's potentially an unrestricted free agent. If all doesn't go well with Shaq chemistry could go the same way it went in Phoenix--downhill. Z's personality epitomizes class. Shaq is quite the opposite. Egotistical, overbearing, and attention-seeking with a mean streak that makes me consider him classless. I have a hard time seeing him succeed at Ilgauskas' expense.

This season's coaching matchup will not feature Songaila covering Ilguaskas or Mike Brown subbing in bigs in the fourht quarter to rebound over a tired Antawn Jamison. Lebron won't be guarded by Micheal Ruffin with Jamison as the only other "big".

And if there is any fairness, Gilbert will be healthy and the Wizards will have the healthiest team they've fielded in years.

Don't forget Mo Williams (in fact you mentioned him before), who the Wizards haven't played in a Postseason matchup.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#65 » by DaRealHibachi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:04 am

Mo Williams aint **** when push comes to shove... He chocked bigtime when they needed him the most...

I aint scared of that dude...
:beer: Magnumt
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#66 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:29 am

DaRealHibachi wrote:Mo Williams aint **** when push comes to shove... He chocked bigtime when they needed him the most...

I aint scared of that dude...

I don't think he's a choker so much as just not good enough to be the second best player on a championship team under most circumstances. I would say it's better to fault their front office for putting them into position to where a guy who should be the third or fourth option was in fact the second option.

Once teams are game planning in the playoffs and putting great scrutiny on phasing out the supporting cast, he's just not in the league of number 2 guys like Pippen or the big Dade County or Manu/Parker or early 2000's Kobe.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#67 » by closg00 » Tue Sep 1, 2009 11:58 am

Re-visiting the issue of the weakness of our front-line, especially when matched-up against the Cavs, this article give some insights into the Cavs moves this summer.
The team also saw big men such as Pau Gasol, Yao Ming and Dwight Howard get easy position near the rim because Zydrunas Ilgauskas was not strong enough to hold them off. That led to the O'Neal deal. Brown knows that O'Neal and Ilgauskas both have trouble defending the high pick-and-roll near the top of the key, but believes the Cavs can deal with it thanks to their team defense. He's glad to have the massive O'Neal under the basket.

The Cavs are also looking to add another big even-though they have JJ Hickson & Darnell Jackson.

The Cavs are looking for a fourth big man to fill out the rotation. Brown has O'Neal and Ilgauskas at center. Anderson Varejao also can play in the pivot against some teams. But he is the only power forward in the rotation. Forget any rumblings about Ilgauskas and O'Neal playing together for any serious length of time. They are too big, too slow. That is why the Cavs are looking to Jackson or Hickson to improve and grab some minutes.

Good news on J.J. Hick son. The power forward is playing five-on-five, full-court scrimmages with friends at North Carolina State, his alma mater. So far, no problems with the back injuries that kept him out of action after the middle of March. Hickson had a bruised spine, then developed back spasms. He won't turn 21 until Friday. Hickson played only one year at N.C. State, so the gifted 6-9, 242-pound power forward has plenty of time to improve. He played only 705 minutes in 62 games last season, but shot 51 percent from the field. He can jump and block shots. His only semi-regular duty was in 14 January games, when he averaged 7.2 points and 4.5 rebounds in 19 minutes, shooting 55 percent.

Brown also said Darnell Jackson has had a productive summer and he expects the Kansas product to compete for a regular spot in the rotation. Brown likes how Jackson understands defensive concepts, sets picks and can make a medium-range jumper. In the summer league, the Cavs played the 6-9, 253-pounder in the low post, almost like a center. But Jackson struggled at times playing near the rim with his back to the basket.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Matching Up With The Cavs 

Post#68 » by dlts20 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:20 pm

We definatly didnt play well overall against them the other day but you cant take much from a game like that. Its no different than us playing them tough in all 4 games of that playoff series without Gil & Caron.

One thing that stood out to me was the matchups. I have always liked our chances against the Cavs because I liked the matchup of Gil vs Snow and AJ vs Ben. Since then the Cavs have made some solid upgrades but I still like our matchups. I like AJ vs AV.

The #1 thing I love that is going to set us apart from most Cavs opponents is the Center spot. They are going to kill people there with Shaq starting & Z coming off the bench. They gave us some problems in that Preseason games and most teams cant match that. However, I think we match it perfectly and will beat them because of it. Shaq is dominant but Wood is the best low post big man defender in the league. He's the only guy that can guard all these bigs one on one and they dont score. Shaq did well the other night but thats because Oberto is too small for him. He cant do that to Wood. One way to have moderate success against Wood is to hit the J because he wont want to come out that far. Thats what Z has done well in the past. He cant score on Wood in the paint but he knocks that J down with ease. The good thing for us is that now with Shaq starting, Wood can matchup with him and Oberto can matchup with Z. Oberto has been good on D and he has no problem coming out on the floor to prevent that J. I think that will cause the Cavs problems offensively as they will try to feed those guys but wont have near the success that theyve had against other teams.

I also think there struggles will lead to alot of fast breaks. The flip side is when we are on O. The one great matchup we have always had is the high screen with Gil because Z is too slow to stay with him. Now the Cavs for all 48min will have Shaq & Z on the floor. The 2 worst high screen defenders in the league. Gil will eat that up all day. Thats why he had 11fts in one half the other night. Either he will score with ease or he will keep both bigs in foul trouble. I love the Center matchup for us in that sereis if you look at it from the points I just made. I was a big Songaila fan but without Wood, we would get killed by a guy like Z in the 2nd unit. Now we have Oberto and that will be huge in the playoffs. Lebron is Lebron but Caron offensively always gives him problems so atleast we can keep him honest on that end. Mo is good but Gil is clearly better. The new pickups in AP & Moon are solid but Caron & MM did anything they wanted to them the other night. Im a big fan of Powe's and he could be problems but I think Blatche is at the point of his career when he can more than hold his own and Powe on the floor can be a good things at time because it will take away from there crazy length advantage that they alwyas have. Foye & MM off the bench maybe against guys like Boobie & West? Give me that all day. I like our matchups against them and everyone else in the East
closg00
RealGM

Post#69 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Bump for the merge with dlts20.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#70 » by WizStorm » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:56 pm

closg00 wrote:Bump for the merge with dlts20.
Thanks!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#71 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:07 pm

I hope you are right about Haywood containing Shaq, dlts20. That's the key matchup. Shaq can't dominate an entire game at his age, but if he can come in and get 10 high-percentage points in each of the 1st and 3rd quarters while getting our guys in foul trouble, it'll make a big difference by the end of the game.
closg00
RealGM

Post#72 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:09 pm

nate33 wrote:I hope you are right about Haywood containing Shaq, dlts20. That's the key matchup. Shaq can't dominate an entire game at his age, but if he can come in and get 10 high-percentage points in each of the 1st and 3rd quarters while getting our guys in foul trouble, it'll make a big difference by the end of the game.

Shaq certainly had his way with us the other night, he was unstoppable.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#73 » by dlts20 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:11 pm

nate33 wrote:I hope you are right about Haywood containing Shaq, dlts20. That's the key matchup. Shaq can't dominate an entire game at his age, but if he can come in and get 10 high-percentage points in each of the 1st and 3rd quarters while getting our guys in foul trouble, it'll make a big difference by the end of the game.

All I know is for the last couple of years whenever we put Wood on Shaq, Yao, Howard, Duncan, Jefferson, or any back to the basket guy, they never can score. The only time they scorre is on pick & rolls or a guard breaking down our D and Wood has to help. Thats the #1 reason why I always felt that we would beat Orlando, because we wouldnt have to double Howard and leave there shooters open
dlts20
RealGM

Post#74 » by dlts20 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:11 pm

closg00 wrote:Bump for the merge with dlts20.

I was looking for this thread but couldnt find it. I ususally say at the top of my post to merge but I forgot this time
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#75 » by queridiculo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:55 pm

closg00 wrote:

Shaq certainly had his way with us the other night, he was unstoppable.

Assuming Haywood stays healthy, Oberto will guard Shaq in spot duty only.

In a best of 7 series I am a bit concerned about the center position though. We really don't have the depth to deal with Cleveland in that department. Oberto is undersized, and McGee is nowhere near ready.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#76 » by pancakes3 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:22 pm

best of 7?

it comes down to slowing lebron down to the 30s, no 40 pt games. keeping shaq under 20. not let west/williams/wally z launch any freeby 3's, and DEFINITELY not letting a scrub like verajao score in double digits.

this would entail slowing the game down, not doubling from the spot shooters, not getting gil/butler/haywood into foul trouble, strong defensive rebounding (aka no O-boards for them) and capitalizing on turnovers.

also, d'ing up on verajao which i can't imagine is too hard. just don't let him establish position (he's not that big, nor strong) and box him out instead of doubling shaq. I can live with shaq tiring himself out on 11/18 shooting in 30 mpg. i can't live with verajao coming up with unexpected 16 pt games while jamison's ineffective doubleteam leads to foul trouble, clock stopping FT's for shaq, and an 18-22 pt effort from him anyway.

doubling on shaq doesn't work. you're not going to stop him from powering to the basket. AJ has no shot of blocking the ball. you're not going to intimidate him from going to the basket... nothing good can come from doubling shaq with our personel
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards