ImageImageImageImageImage

The Arenas comeback thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: The Arenas comeback thread 

Post#161 » by Zerocious » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:55 am

dlts20 wrote:I see Donklin, Dave Johnson, & Glenn Consor talking about how quick Gil looks but I havent really seen it yet. Ive seen some flashes but nothing consistent and substantial. I remember I was arguing with people on the blog inluding DJ during the Mavs game on this very topic. They were all talking about how lighting quick he looks but I keep telling them that I have the Lakers game on tape where he scored 60, the 54 point Suns game, the 30 something point Bobcats game, and so on. He was way quicker in those games than he is now. He was so much more lighter on his feet then. I was listening to the game last night and on the first few plays DJ & Glenn were going crazy about how Gil was blowing by the D but when I saw it back on DVR, he wasnt moving that fast to me. It actually looked like he was struggling. Even Michael Lee after the game said he looked sluggish. If you see him in most cases now compared to what he was a few years ago, you would think that he was fat and out of shape. Thats how he looks. He looks like he's slow & sluggish compared to that cat but we know thats not the case. We know that he's in great shape and weigh's less now than he did then.

He has had some good burst. I like that one drive he had against Dallas when he got the and 1 and I loved that drive & dish he had to Blatche against the Cavs but thats basicaly the only 2 plays when Ive seen a real burst from him. I think part of it is due to 3 things. His injury, his age, and rust. Will he ever get that lighting quick burst back? IDK but he can still dominate without it because he has great handles, is still quicker than most, is stronger than most PG's, and he's probably top 3 in the league in terms of knowing how to position his body on O to get leverage on guys and draw contact. Still, I wish we had this version of Gil with the same quickness he had back then. It might come back as the season goes on and as he plays more. It might come back next year because its year 2 of the injury or it might not come back at all. I mean, MJ wasnt the same athelete at 30 that he was at 24 but he was a much better player. Im a huge boxing fan and Mayweather isnt the same guy at the higher weights and in his 30's as he was at lower weights and in his early 20's but he's a better overall fighter. I think Gil can do the same.

His quickness still isnt there though. Even after his 1st surgery he came back with his burst. Even after the 2nd surgery he came back with the burst. Remember when he was coming off the bench and then coming in the game going a 100mph? Now it seems like he doesnt have that after the 3rd surgery. He's great off the picks because he has mad skill but just blowing by a cat one on one, he cant do that with ease anymore. He moreso just gets position on that guy. Even when people were sweating him in the SL, when I saw the footage I didnt think that he was blazing like he was 1st. Thats 1 part as his individual but overall I havent seen him play with that same team speed either. Meaning, I dont see him pushing the ball like a jet when he gets it anymore. Again, even like he did when he came off the bench after the 2nd surgery. He was non stop pushing it. Now its more of a jog & scan. Again, I think he will get faster as the year goes on and I think he's still faster than most now but its just not the same as of this minute. The only game that sounds like he was the old Gil with his speed was the Pistons game but IDK because I didnt get to see it. I could see him turning it up because he was against his boy Bynum. I also think that if Gil has 1 lights out game then he will start playing at a faster tempo and want to dominate more.

It sucks not only because he's passing more but it also sucks because he wants to drive more now which is what Ive been calling for him to do for the longest. Even when he was healthy he had stopped driving but now he's back on the attack again and that will help us a ton. What I dont like is his overall shot selection now. I think its not horrible but in alot of cases he is hurting himself and the team. He's so worried about not shooting 3's that he's passing up alot of open one's. Alot of times he doesnt even look at the rim. Then he gets it back later and jacks a long 2 with a hand in his face. It makes no sense. He's passing up on open 3's that he can make with ease and settling for long 2's with a hand in his face just so he wont seem like a gunner or whatever. Take those open shots.

His previous comebacks were during the season and trying to prove himself he's fine and bursting with 150% speed. now he has gotten a clue and trying to be a different play maker, a different person in life. He has only played in meaningless pre-season games and is trying to figure out which way to go with it all. He knows that he's passing up the 3, because right now it doesn't count. he is trying to figure out how else he can help. it's called practice. he wants to see if he can consistently feed the ball. consistently get to the basket without all the effort it took him before. He's going to be a different player this year, there's no doubt, but he will be better then he was before. he will take the thre when he gets it. flip is telling hij to be aggressive. he'll be aggressive with his shot, just watch. he's playing everybody right now. then he'll turn the hibachi on again and everyone will look like an idiot trying to stop him or get by him. he'll step it up on d too, you'll see. it's funny that with all the best intentions we (as humans) are not capable of 'waiting and see' and stop calling the game before it has started. seems like some of us have already made p their mind as to how good or not good this team is. i think about my own competitive spirit. i perform best when people are watching, when my stats are recorded and when something is at stake. not during routine practice play, not even during heated outside league play. it's not the same, summer league, pre-season: it's practice.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#162 » by dlts20 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:04 am

Zerocious wrote:
dlts20 wrote:I see Donklin, Dave Johnson, & Glenn Consor talking about how quick Gil looks but I havent really seen it yet. Ive seen some flashes but nothing consistent and substantial. I remember I was arguing with people on the blog inluding DJ during the Mavs game on this very topic. They were all talking about how lighting quick he looks but I keep telling them that I have the Lakers game on tape where he scored 60, the 54 point Suns game, the 30 something point Bobcats game, and so on. He was way quicker in those games than he is now. He was so much more lighter on his feet then. I was listening to the game last night and on the first few plays DJ & Glenn were going crazy about how Gil was blowing by the D but when I saw it back on DVR, he wasnt moving that fast to me. It actually looked like he was struggling. Even Michael Lee after the game said he looked sluggish. If you see him in most cases now compared to what he was a few years ago, you would think that he was fat and out of shape. Thats how he looks. He looks like he's slow & sluggish compared to that cat but we know thats not the case. We know that he's in great shape and weigh's less now than he did then.

He has had some good burst. I like that one drive he had against Dallas when he got the and 1 and I loved that drive & dish he had to Blatche against the Cavs but thats basicaly the only 2 plays when Ive seen a real burst from him. I think part of it is due to 3 things. His injury, his age, and rust. Will he ever get that lighting quick burst back? IDK but he can still dominate without it because he has great handles, is still quicker than most, is stronger than most PG's, and he's probably top 3 in the league in terms of knowing how to position his body on O to get leverage on guys and draw contact. Still, I wish we had this version of Gil with the same quickness he had back then. It might come back as the season goes on and as he plays more. It might come back next year because its year 2 of the injury or it might not come back at all. I mean, MJ wasnt the same athelete at 30 that he was at 24 but he was a much better player. Im a huge boxing fan and Mayweather isnt the same guy at the higher weights and in his 30's as he was at lower weights and in his early 20's but he's a better overall fighter. I think Gil can do the same.

His quickness still isnt there though. Even after his 1st surgery he came back with his burst. Even after the 2nd surgery he came back with the burst. Remember when he was coming off the bench and then coming in the game going a 100mph? Now it seems like he doesnt have that after the 3rd surgery. He's great off the picks because he has mad skill but just blowing by a cat one on one, he cant do that with ease anymore. He moreso just gets position on that guy. Even when people were sweating him in the SL, when I saw the footage I didnt think that he was blazing like he was 1st. Thats 1 part as his individual but overall I havent seen him play with that same team speed either. Meaning, I dont see him pushing the ball like a jet when he gets it anymore. Again, even like he did when he came off the bench after the 2nd surgery. He was non stop pushing it. Now its more of a jog & scan. Again, I think he will get faster as the year goes on and I think he's still faster than most now but its just not the same as of this minute. The only game that sounds like he was the old Gil with his speed was the Pistons game but IDK because I didnt get to see it. I could see him turning it up because he was against his boy Bynum. I also think that if Gil has 1 lights out game then he will start playing at a faster tempo and want to dominate more.

It sucks not only because he's passing more but it also sucks because he wants to drive more now which is what Ive been calling for him to do for the longest. Even when he was healthy he had stopped driving but now he's back on the attack again and that will help us a ton. What I dont like is his overall shot selection now. I think its not horrible but in alot of cases he is hurting himself and the team. He's so worried about not shooting 3's that he's passing up alot of open one's. Alot of times he doesnt even look at the rim. Then he gets it back later and jacks a long 2 with a hand in his face. It makes no sense. He's passing up on open 3's that he can make with ease and settling for long 2's with a hand in his face just so he wont seem like a gunner or whatever. Take those open shots.

His previous comebacks were during the season and trying to prove himself he's fine and bursting with 150% speed. now he has gotten a clue and trying to be a different play maker, a different person in life. He has only played in meaningless pre-season games and is trying to figure out which way to go with it all. He knows that he's passing up the 3, because right now it doesn't count. he is trying to figure out how else he can help. it's called practice. he wants to see if he can consistently feed the ball. consistently get to the basket without all the effort it took him before. He's going to be a different player this year, there's no doubt, but he will be better then he was before. he will take the thre when he gets it. flip is telling hij to be aggressive. he'll be aggressive with his shot, just watch. he's playing everybody right now. then he'll turn the hibachi on again and everyone will look like an idiot trying to stop him or get by him. he'll step it up on d too, you'll see. it's funny that with all the best intentions we (as humans) are not capable of 'waiting and see' and stop calling the game before it has started. seems like some of us have already made p their mind as to how good or not good this team is. i think about my own competitive spirit. i perform best when people are watching, when my stats are recorded and when something is at stake. not during routine practice play, not even during heated outside league play. it's not the same, summer league, pre-season: it's practice.

Thats not me. I think we will win the East and Gil will be league MVP & All Star Game MVP but that doesnt mean he has his burst back. I was just on youtube watching his games against the Suns & Lakers and he doesnt have that burst "just yet". I think he will be fine. It sucks that AJ isnt here at the start but if Blatche gets that spot then I still think Gil will start producing big numbers by game 3 at the latest
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#163 » by Zerocious » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:08 am

dlts20 wrote:
Zerocious wrote:

Thats not me. I think we will win the East and Gil will be league MVP & All Star Game MVP but that doesnt mean he has his burst back. I was just on youtube watching his games against the Suns & Lakers and he doesnt have that burst "just yet". I think he will be fine. It sucks that AJ isnt here at the start but if Blatche gets that spot then I still think Gil will start producing big numbers by game 3 at the latest

and i'll be there to witness it.

i have had my fair share of injuries and i am not getting any younger as far as basketball is concerned. but it takes a while to get that confidence back to push of a hurt ankle, or knee. or even flick a wrist you had surgery on 3 times (that's me). but i am a better basketball player now than i ever was becasue i put more thought into what i do and did not do before the injury. it has changed my game somewhat. i got smarter and above all i got even faster. so i got good hopes for gil. he'll be waiting at the baseline whith the ball when all the rest of em will be getting to centre court :lol:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#164 » by Kanyewest » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:58 am

dlts20 wrote:I see Donklin, Dave Johnson, & Glenn Consor talking about how quick Gil looks but I havent really seen it yet.

It could be because Dave Johnson and Glen Consor are employed by the Washington Wizards. Or maybe they have they have they are just hoping for the best. But I agree that Gilbert isn't back to 100% yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if he regains his form; it might take him until the midseason this year to get to his full stride.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#165 » by Zerocious » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 pm

one game into the season i wanted to congratulate myself with the awesomeness of my insights :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: he's beeeeaaack, beeeeeyatches. ...... :wink:

let's see how we do against atlanta...
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#166 » by no D in Hibachi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm

He simply looked phenomenal last night. He was toying with JJ Berea, J Kidd, and J Terry. He could get his shot whenever he wanted whether it be via drive or jump shot. I almost forgot exactly how good he is since I haven't watched him in hibachi mode for a while. Yet, there was a difference to his game last night. HE played solid defense! I might need to change my login name. He also rarely forced the issue. I'll admit he took a couple ill-advised shots last night in the 4th, but the Mavs gave them to him so it wasn't like he forced it. He also displayed improved passing and determination to involve all the other players.

The Arenas of last night was 'top-five player in the league caliber.' The thing I'm most excited about with Arenas' return is now he'll take the attention away from all the phony top guards in the league such as: Harris, Nelson, Rondo, Roy, Mo Williams, etc. Arenas is clearly better than them, but over the course of the last two years the media, and RealGM for that matter, have pumped them up like they are elite players, which is just a wad of poo.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#167 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 pm

The thing I like most about the new Arenas is that his assists are true assists. He is feeding guys for dunks right at the rim. He would have had one or two more but Haywood fumbled a few and/or got fouled/blocked as he gathered himself for the dunk.

In years past, Arenas would have the occassional double-digit assist night, but he did it by kicking it out to guys for jumpers. With guys like Jamison and Butler around, you rack up assists simply because they'll catch-and-shoot. It doesn't really require that much skill to get those assists. The new Arenas makes "dishes", not "assists".
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#168 » by Zerocious » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 pm

gils game was very polished all around. he got nine assist, but didnt look like he was trying to get assists. he had 29 points but he wasn't looking for the shot everytime he touched the ball. major maturity improvement imo. And very impressed with his defense. he got the message. he lead the team on offense AND defense << think about that...
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,335

Post#169 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:43 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
miller31time wrote:Now, we have a deadly scorer who won't score. The only real aspect of his game that needed serious improvement was defense and he still hasn't shown that any attention to my knowledge.

If he only dedicated himself to defense like he's doing with this whole "pass-first" mentality, he'd be a lock-down defender. But I guess it's easier not to shoot than it is to play aggressive and fundamental defense.

:nonono:

Well, I guess this means "Glibertology" is still in full effect. He pulled this stunt way back when in GS for one game and now he's thinking about doing it for an entire season. And you're right - he's still the same half-speed ball-watcher he's always been on defense.

If he keeps this up, trade his @$$ for whatever bad-but-shorter contracts you can find cuz he won't be a franchise player anymore. We'll need to start completely over.

you know I love you LR, but you want to reconsider that now?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#170 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:45 pm

nate33 wrote:The thing I like most about the new Arenas is that his assists are true assists. He is feeding guys for dunks right at the rim. He would have had one or two more but Haywood fumbled a few and/or got fouled/blocked as he gathered himself for the dunk.

In years past, Arenas would have the occassional double-digit assist night, but he did it by kicking it out to guys for jumpers. With guys like Jamison and Butler around, you rack up assists simply because they'll catch-and-shoot. It doesn't really require that much skill to get those assists. The new Arenas makes "dishes", not "assists".

Haywood needs to review the fundamental, when you're 7 ft, don't bring the ball
down to your waist. For a player in his contract year, he didn't get off to an impressive
start. That said, I loved the 3 dunks when we were rallying to take control of the game
in the 1st Q. And the minutes he played.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#171 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
dlts20 wrote:I see Donklin, Dave Johnson, & Glenn Consor talking about how quick Gil looks but I havent really seen it yet.

It could be because Dave Johnson and Glen Consor are employed by the Washington Wizards. Or maybe they have they have they are just hoping for the best. But I agree that Gilbert isn't back to 100% yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if he regains his form; it might take him until the midseason this year to get to his full stride.

looks like mid-season already

he was clearly pacing himself during preseason

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#172 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
dlts20 wrote:I see Donklin, Dave Johnson, & Glenn Consor talking about how quick Gil looks but [b]I havent really seen it yet. [/b]

Edited. dobrojim just said it.

Gilbert fooled me, too, in preseason.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#173 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:06 pm

Besides last night, I'm most encouraged by the comments made by the guys who played with Gil this summer -- among then, D-Wade, Lebron, Jermaine O'neal, etc. Those guys all said he was killing in the game at Grover's gym and is going to be tough to handle this year.

OK, I need to excuse myself....
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#174 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:11 pm

fishercob wrote:Besides last night, I'm most encouraged by the comments made by the guys who played with Gil this summer -- among then, D-Wade, Lebron, Jermaine O'neal, etc. Those guys all said he was killing in the game at Grover's gym and is going to be tough to handle this year.

OK, I need to excuse myself....

me too

I wetting myself after this first game

This team looks like it will be a ton of fun to watch this year.
Very lucky to be a planholder. Of course I had to endure last
year, but that's ancient history at the moment.

Return to Washington Wizards