ImageImageImageImageImage

TRAINING CAMP

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 885

TRAINING CAMP 

Post#1 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Training camp is almost here... I for one am psyched and can't wait! I wanted to start a thread to post about training camp as news and updates come in regarding camp schedule, camp roster and invites, coaching techniques and developments.

I am wondering if Veremeenko will be at camp this year. We have an open roster spot and could possibly have a place for him on this year's squad with lack of frontcourt depth and the departure of Pecherov.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Re: TRAINING CAMP 

Post#2 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:20 am

All I know at this point is camp is less than 2 weeks away. I assume it's the same place it's been the past few seasons VCU.

They should be getting a roster together soon. Interested to see who will be there. Veremeenko? Dixon? Maybe a FA invite like a Pops or Pittsnoggle? Interested to hear about the camp head to heads like Arenas vs Foye, Young vs Stevenson, Haywood vs McGee, the development of guys like Blatch and Crittenton, and how newcomers Miller, Foye, and Oberto are fitting in. Find out about Flip and what the players think about their first camp under him.

If anyone has any news or just speculation about what we'll see as camp unfolds let us in on it!
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,339

Post#3 » by doclinkin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:52 am

The VladVere dream is dead son. He's plain no good.

The Sports Junks said they'd be broadcasting from Richmond that week, Flip Saunders called into their show on the random and asked if they wanted to come down and guest-coach a scrimmage, sit in on all the practices.

I'm looking forward to hearing about line-up experiments and scrimmages between various squads. The backcourt battle should be fierce. Shoot the frontcourt contests could be tough. Reports had it that the Haywood vs McGee tilts were pretty firey last year before the JV kid blew out the wrist of the veteran. Let's hope there ain't a repeat.

I want daily footage. Pester the Wiz webmasters to keep the constant video. Blow up their comments section Thursday when they show the next Gilbert teaser. Want more media, must not starve us of length, content, raw feed...

Keep the prod on the Mikes (Lee and Jones) to keep vid rolling and posted online. Pit them against eachother. Poke the Steinbog, isn't he on twitter? Tweet him into action-- he's been slack this last stretch. The DC squad should be fun to follow this year, fans have a duty to dial up their media servants and let 'em not we rate. Especially if the football team ain't no good.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,177

Post#4 » by cedric76 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 am

hope blatche show up ,and can secure the PF position
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Post#5 » by dobrojim » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:44 pm

I hope AB shows up too. But lets not get delusional. He is very unlikely to
beat out AJ as the starter at the 4. I want him to show up for the simple
reason that he'd make our team a whole lot better if he does.

As long as no one gets hurt (knock on wood), the only drama in
training camp is the one we all have discussed at length. Who
is going to start and get minutes at the 2? Or if you prefer, who
after Gil plays 35-?? minutes, is going to get the rest of the 96
backcourt minutes.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Zerocious » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm

dobrojim wrote:I hope AB shows up too. But lets not get delusional. He is very unlikely to
beat out AJ as the starter at the 4. I want him to show up for the simple
reason that he'd make our team a whole lot better if he does.

As long as no one gets hurt (knock on wood), the only drama in
training camp is the one we all have discussed at length. Who
is going to start and get minutes at the 2? Or if you prefer, who
after Gil plays 35-?? minutes, is going to get the rest of the 96
backcourt minutes.

knock on wood :lol: brendan has nothing to do with it :wink:
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#7 » by dandridge 10 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:42 pm

I don't know why I can't find it anywhere but when is the first day of training camp? I'm looking forward to seeing some regular articles in the Post and Times on the Wizards.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#8 » by closg00 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Just waiting for some news, I suppose Mike Lee will report any camp-invites.
Pradamaster
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Pradamaster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:51 pm

I know I'm doing a ton of self-promotion on here, but I'll be there as well for BF. Any particular angles y'all might want me to look at? Can't guarantee anything but I'll do what I can.
Bullets Forever webmaster.

www.bulletsforever.com
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Pradamaster wrote:I know I'm doing a ton of self-promotion on here, but I'll be there as well for BF. Any particular angles y'all might want me to look at? Can't guarantee anything but I'll do what I can.

I'm interested in seeing who out of Miller, Foye, Young, and Stevenson is getting the most time with the first team. I'm also interested in the ratio of offense-to-defense when it comes to what they work on in practice.

Hopefully I can make it to the scrimmage this year to do my (mostly) annual season kickoff article.
jholmbe1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#11 » by jholmbe1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:18 pm

I'm real interested to see who is the PG of the second team. Foye or Critter? If Javaris has progressed at all I think we are better served with him being the backup pg for 10-15 mins a night. I like Foye's game much more when he is the 2 guard and I know NOBODY wants to see that bum Mike James running the 2nd unit.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Still can't find any info...

I hope they invite Cedric Simmons, as far as I know no one has picked him up yet. I liked his game in college, and he's been buried on teams deep with young PFs since coming in the league. He's a physical rebounder and could add some depth to our frontcourt and provide some competition to push Blatche and keep him motivated.

Yeah 2 guard is the hot spot in camp... Miller, Young, Foye, Stevenson all pushing for the starting job. Miller to me is experienced and just too much of a weapon there to not get it with his 3 point shooting, passing, ability to post up and rebound there he's a strong addition to the starting lineup. Foye and Young give us some big time offense off the bench, with Stevenson and McGuire coming in when we need some D and toughness.

Interested to see if Blatche is ready to take a bigger role for us, maybe allowing Antawn to be used more at SF. in addition to the SG battle it should be a tough competition for the main big man off the bench between Blatche, Oberto and McGee.

In the end I expect a top 7 rotation of Haywood C, Jamison PF/SF, Butler SF, Miller SG/SF and Arenas PG as starting 5 with Blatche PF/C and Foye PG/SG as top reserves.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#13 » by Three34 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Vincent Grier is going to camp with you, a 6'4 slasher with one of the worst jumpshots you'll see on a 6'4 guy.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#14 » by Three34 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:52 pm

I hope they invite Cedric Simmons, as far as I know no one has picked him up yet.

Simmons signed in Greece about a month ago, but is about to be released again. More to the point, he's really really really bad. So you don't want him.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#15 » by DallasShalDune » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:07 am

This has been a long offseason. I'm pumped as hell for training camp, just for some significant updates about 2009/2010. Starting lineup, rotations, how everyone gets along, whether we get crappy foye or good foye, who does/doesn't get hurt early, ect.

I'm getting more antsy every day. I'm bored, to be honest, and I'm more bored this offseason than any in recent memory. After the Oberto signing, this has been such a quiet summer.

I'm getting pumped. That's for sure.
Bizz
Senior
And1: 322

Post#16 » by Bizz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi I'm a charlotte fan and I saw this on official page and thought it might interest you.

Washington Wizards center Brendan Haywood also spends a lot of time in the TWCA. He was asked why he’s not working out in Washington with the Wizards, and he told GM Rod Higgins that he "went up there last week and only a couple of guys showed up."
closg00
RealGM

Post#17 » by closg00 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Bizz wrote:Hi I'm a charlotte fan and I saw this on official page and thought it might interest you.

Washington Wizards center Brendan Haywood also spends a lot of time in the TWCA. He was asked why he’s not working out in Washington with the Wizards, and he told GM Rod Higgins that he "went up there last week and only a couple of guys showed up."

I am not surprised that Haywood had to turnaround and go back to NC. When you have Ed Tapscott in-charge of player development, what else can you expect? Many of the players were kind of doing there own thing, the West Coast guys (Young & McGee) were in LA playing there, Gilbert was obviously in Chicago, and the rest ?????? Eventually all of these guys will be in camp.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Zerocious » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:39 pm

any of training camp televised?
closg00
RealGM

Post#19 » by closg00 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 pm

Training camp invite list, nothing from the Wiz.
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2009/9/ ... ound-em-up
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,463

Post#20 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:54 pm

DallasShalDune wrote:This has been a long offseason.

No kidding. Offseason started in early November last year in the 2nd quarter of the game with the Magic (Tapscott's 2nd game), when it became apparent that Tappy's first game was a fluke, that our young guns were going to remain glued to the bench, and that our season had become a long chase to the bottom, trolling for Blake Griffin.

I'll be in Richmond (with my two and a 1/2 year old son) for the Memphis game. Who else is going?
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards