ImageImageImageImageImage

Have you ever tried to sneak food into the VERIZON CENTER?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Have you ever tried to sneak food into the VERIZON CENTER? 

Post#1 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Food/beverage prices over at the VERIZON CENTER are INSANE!!!!!

Have you ever tried to sneak in food or beverages into the VERIZON CENTER before?

How successful or unsuccessful were you?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Re: Have you ever tried to sneak food into the VERIZON CENTER? 

Post#2 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:26 pm

I remember when they used to let you bring food in; we'd stop at Clydes and my wife would buy a sandwich, and we'd bring a couple of waters in too. Too bad they stopped doing that. My wife still buys some of their junk food, but I only occasionally get a water; I can't stand paying so much for food and water. They check all bags, but if you wear a loose coat open with big pockets, you could probably bring a sandwich or bottled water in, as long as the bulge isn't obvious and the president isn't attending the game.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:48 pm

I have family members who would rather stay home and watch CAPITALS games in HD on our huge 73" television screen than pay the OUTRAGEOUS food and beverage prices over at the VERIZON CENTER. After watching a recent hockey game in HD on the same 73" television screen I do not blame them one bit. Staying home and watching the game in HD on television is by far the best choice.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 pm

I live near Verizon Center, so we often eat dinner at home before we go. I've got a partial season package, and wouldn't do a full season, because sometimes we just like to watch the game on TV, get multiple vantage points and replays, and save a lot of money.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#5 » by keynote » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:58 pm

What do you expect? Concessions sales are the primary driver of profit for most arenas' business model. From what I understand, venues would barely break even if they had to rely on ticket sales revenue alone. Movie theaters operate under the same model.

So, would folks rather see a 20% hike in ticket prices + reasonably priced refreshments, or the current model? At least under the current system, a cost-conscious fan can decide to go hungry or get cheaper snacks (e.g., water instead of beer) and still see a live game.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

keynote wrote:What do you expect? Concessions sales are the primary driver of profit for most arenas' business model. From what I understand, venues would barely break even if they had to rely on ticket sales revenue alone. Movie theaters operate under the same model.

That is exactly what I expect. I also expect sports leagues, owners, and even player's associations to lobby, bribe, and schmooze politicians into handing over vast public subsidies for a private, non-essential industry. Since many (possibly most) taxpayers are already subsidizing athletes salaries and owners profits, I may as well enjoy the game where I can, but I try to eat at home, to save some money for my tax bill and my tickets.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm

I've gotten Chipotle burritos in. Granted it was the middle of winter and I had a huge coat on.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Though unplanned, I once I had a single Cheetoh in my coat pocket - it got through with no problems. Stale though.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

The 1980s and 1990s NBA product was far more enjoyable than what is going on right now.

The ticket prices and food/beverage prices were cheaper back then too.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Zerocious » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:58 pm

nice sig hoopa, lol
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by fishercob » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:The 1980s and 1990s NBA product was far more enjoyable than what is going on right now.

The ticket prices and food/beverage prices were cheaper back then too.

"That's the way it was and we LIKED it!"

"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#12 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:42 pm

I don't get to go to too-many of the games and when I do I eat-out at one of the spots. The alternate is that I'll eat before and then just buy a couple of beers at Verizon. I admit to bringing a powerbar, but it is on my person, so I don't consider that to be sneaking.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#13 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:44 pm

sneaking something small in shouldn't be too hard.

The thing I object to was that the change from being allowed
to bring in outside food to not being allowed was presented
as something that was being done for our safety. Balderdash.
Be honest about it.

FWIW, I will often pour a beer into a plastic cup and drink
it from where I park in my free parking spot, the location
of which is a closely held secret.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Tiny Too
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#14 » by Tiny Too » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Once recently, I tried to sneak in a banana. Being somewhat endowed for a white, Jewish boy, I thought to strategically hide it in the front of my underwear (briefs) and that no one would notice the difference. I had no problem fooling the female security guards, but there was one particular male guard near the F Street entrance who kept looking at me funny and insisted on searching me all over behind a partition....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#15 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Tiny Too wrote:Once recently, I tried to sneak in a banana. Being somewhat endowed for a white, Jewish boy, I thought to strategically hide it in the front of my underwear (briefs) and that no one would notice the difference. I had no problem fooling the female security guards, but there was one particular male guard near the F Street entrance who kept looking at me funny and insisted on searching me all over behind a partition....

Come on man, some of us are still eating lunch.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#16 » by keynote » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 pm

montestewart wrote:
keynote wrote:What do you expect? Concessions sales are the primary driver of profit for most arenas' business model. From what I understand, venues would barely break even if they had to rely on ticket sales revenue alone. Movie theaters operate under the same model.

That is exactly what I expect. I also expect sports leagues, owners, and even player's associations to lobby, bribe, and schmooze politicians into handing over vast public subsidies for a private, non-essential industry. Since many (possibly most) taxpayers are already subsidizing athletes salaries and owners profits, I may as well enjoy the game where I can, but I try to eat at home, to save some money for my tax bill and my tickets.

The issue is complex; agreed. But while an arena like the Verizon Center is technically non-essential, it has certainly made a measurable positive economic impact on the surrounding neighborhood. No one would advocate sneaking food into all of the new restaurants and bars that have popped up around Fun Street - especially considering that, from all reports, the Verizon Center was funded almost exclusively by Pollin's company.

Now, it doesn't always work. I'm sure there are municipalities who have gambled and invested huge amounts of public funds in a new arena without seeing a desired return in the form of increased business presence and economic activity. But, from what I understand, it certainly worked out in DC.

I'm not saying that I'm guilt-free: I've smuggled snacks into movie theaters, etc., before. But I know that it's not really justifiable. It's like going to a restaurant and stiffing the staff on the tip to save money: If you gotta do that, then you can't really afford that restaurant. Which kinda sucks; but then again, certain restaurants - like Wizards games - are non-essential, as you said. No shame in staying home instead.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 pm

When they first banned bringing food or drink in from outside, the stated reasons sounded so preposterous, and I snuck some waters in, but that's kind of a hassle, and I can spring for a water.

I believe Pollin did fund the arena largely by himself, which makes the Wizards organization exceptional in that regard, and I have no particular interest in stiffing him, even if he is charging ridiculous rates for lousy food. I would have no problem doing so at a Nationals and very little at a Redskins game.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 pm

PS: Stiffing a waiter on a tip is a lot different, A WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT, than sneaking a water into a Nationals game; taxpayers subsidized that lousy team coming here. How much more can they want? With the Redskins, it's different; I don't even like football, but I hate the Cowboys, and I hate Snyder. If I was offered a Redskins ticket, I might go just to sneak in some food. One less dollar for him to waste on some over-the-hill free agent.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#19 » by pancakes3 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:22 pm

oh, let's highjack this thread immediately to complain about the ridiculous pay structure of the food service industry. the tip fad came and went in europe. are americans just inherently too stubborn?
Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:41 am

pancakes3 wrote:oh, let's highjack this thread immediately to complain about the ridiculous pay structure of the food service industry. the tip fad came and went in europe. are americans just inherently too stubborn?

Yes. Plus restaurants can pay waiters half of minimum wage.

Return to Washington Wizards