ImageImageImageImageImage

Why no min's for Mcgee and Young?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Why no min's for Mcgee and Young? 

Post#1 » by truwizfan4evr » Thu Nov 5, 2009 10:59 am

I'm mad at flip and the coaching staff. I rather have Nick Young play d brick min's at least he got a sweet jumper. And why Oberto getting more min's then McGee? has flip lost his mind don't give me nick and McGee not ready look at mavs Jason terry he don't play no d off the bench for mavs and a lot of other players doesn't. Deshawn nowhere as good as nick young and the same can be said for Oberto is no where near as good as McGee.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Why no min's for Mcgee and Young? 

Post#2 » by 80sballboy » Thu Nov 5, 2009 2:08 pm

There's a difference between talent and knowledge of the game. Just because Nick Young has a sweet jumper (which hasn't looked so good since the summer), doesn't mean he's a better player than DeBrick. If you can't do the little things, I don't care who's coaching, you aren't getting a lot of playing time. McGee can jump 100 feet over Oberto. Does he block out? Does he hold his position on defense? Is he ever in position? Dude played eight minute last night with no rebounds and gave up a few offensive boards. When Jamison comes back, that might be zero, because Oberto will move over to center.
CaPtaiN eYeSaNo
Senior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by CaPtaiN eYeSaNo » Thu Nov 5, 2009 2:16 pm

I must admit I would have rather seen Nick than a bandaged Mike Miller. What was Flip thinking? Is he unaware of the curse?
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#4 » by daSwami » Thu Nov 5, 2009 3:50 pm

flip is the worst.
:banghead:
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,333

Post#5 » by dobrojim » Thu Nov 5, 2009 6:23 pm

bring back Gar Heard. NOW dammit.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by DallasShalDune » Thu Nov 5, 2009 6:35 pm

McGee is actually getting more minutes by the game, and really, he doesn't deserve a ton because he's still learning.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#7 » by jimij » Thu Nov 5, 2009 8:27 pm

I've got no problem with how Flip has played McGee and Young. Both guys are talented but can't seem to put it all together on the court. I like that Flip is slowly developing McGee. Young in my mind is somewhat of a lost cause in that with the backcourt depth we have, I don't see any reason why we should be putting him on the court until he shows in practice or in garbage time that he's increased his BB IQ.

Because of his athleticism and potential I'm in favor of giving more PT to McGee even if it costs us in the short term. I'm not willing to do this for Young since I don't think his ceiling is all that high (not that he couldn't help us if he does improve) and since if we're going to just let someone go one-on-one all the time in an attempt to score, I think we have better options on the team (Gil, Butler, Foye, etc).

That said, I do think Flip should consider giving some of DS's playing time to DMAC. As someone put it in another thread, it's not like his shooting could be any worse.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#8 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 8:48 pm

I agree that it's time to dust off DMac and see what he can give us. Stevenson remains a complete and utter basketcase on offense. I've never seen a guy lose confidence like that. His shooting is just embarrassing.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#9 » by GilArenas88 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey I love McGee as much as the next guy, but he did obsolutely nothing to deserve more minutes when he was on the court last night. Its probably time to start giving Young some of Stevenson's minutes unless Stevenson learns how to shoot again, or maybe Dominic could take Deshawns minutes.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#10 » by Jimmy Recard » Thu Nov 5, 2009 10:50 pm

I can understand Fab getting minutes over Mcgee at this point. Flip knows what he'll get from Fab when he's in the game. A smart, experienced and tough player down low. I don't know why he didnt take him out sooner though for AB when Beasley was toying with him.

Mcgee, like most young bigs, is way to mistake prone at this point. He's absolutely lost on D, leaves his feet far too often, and not strong enough to bang with other centers. And offensively he doesn't add much other than the occasional 'oop in transition. He's still just a project.

Deshawn getting 25 minutes last night was disgusting though. I understand he wouldn't have played that many minutes if Miller wasn't hurt. But he should NOT be getting minutes over Young. I don't care how hard he works on D, his defense isn't good enough to compensate how laughable he is at the other end. If your SG can't be relied on to make free throws, or knock down open jumpers when Gilbert and Caron are seeing double teams everytime down the court, then he shouldn't be playing.

On his defense, it is way overrated. The only reason he gets props for his D, is because of how mediocre he is in every other facet of the game. He is an average at best defender, and he has his limitations. He's not long, he's not quick, he's not athletic and his help/team defense is non-existent.

If Flip is not going to put Nick in the rotation, please just trade his ass for a banger down low, rather than let him rot at the end of the bench.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#11 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Nov 5, 2009 11:13 pm

Mosca wrote:I can understand Fab getting minutes over Mcgee at this point. Flip knows what he'll get from Fab when he's in the game. A smart, experienced and tough player down low. I don't know why he didnt take him out sooner though for AB when Beasley was toying with him.

Mcgee, like most young bigs, is way to mistake prone at this point. He's absolutely lost on D, leaves his feet far too often, and not strong enough to bang with other centers. And offensively he doesn't add much other than the occasional 'oop in transition. He's still just a project.

Deshawn getting 25 minutes last night was disgusting though. I understand he wouldn't have played that many minutes if Miller wasn't hurt. But he should NOT be getting minutes over Young. I don't care how hard he works on D, his defense isn't good enough to compensate how laughable he is at the other end. If your SG can't be relied on to make free throws, or knock down open jumpers when Gilbert and Caron are seeing double teams everytime down the court, then he shouldn't be playing.

On his defense, it is way overrated. The only reason he gets props for his D, is because of how mediocre he is in every other facet of the game. He is an average at best defender, and he has his limitations. He's not long, he's not quick, he's not athletic and his help/team defense is non-existent.

If Flip is not going to put Nick in the rotation, please just trade his ass for a banger down low, rather than let him rot at the end of the bench.

And what makes you think Young is going to do better on the offensive end? He sure hasn't shown that he will with the minutes he played in preseason or the regular season so far. Deshawn shot three shots last night. Yeah, he missed all three, but against Hawks, I think NY was even more laughable going 0-8. Yeah, NY has shown he is WAAY better than Deshawn.

Yeah, I don't think the Deshawn is a superstar or anything and I would agree he is a below average two guard. But I can tell you this, there have now been three NBA coaches that have coached this Wizards team with NY on it and all three have preferred Stevenson over NY. They can't all be idiots. Moreover, Flip gave NY a clean slate and gave him every opportunity to win playing time this preseason and regular season and NY F'ed up. His defense has looked worse than Deshawn's and his offense has not looked any better. If anybody is to blame for NY not playing over Deshawn, its NY.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#12 » by barelyawake » Thu Nov 5, 2009 11:28 pm

Ball movement is a problem. Dom is a distributor. He also plays better d than Stevenson and he boards. We need to trade Stevenson and young, and play Dom more.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 5, 2009 11:34 pm

Mosca wrote:I can understand Fab getting minutes over Mcgee at this point. Flip knows what he'll get from Fab when he's in the game. A smart, experienced and tough player down low. I don't know why he didnt take him out sooner though for AB when Beasley was toying with him.

When McGee was in things went well against the Heat. He was +11

Stevenson was +5 for the game and played very good defense on Wade in the fourth.

I think McGee would have slammed a couple balls near the rim that Haywood couldn't get to. I think McGee should play some minutes with Haywood.

I think STevenson didn't get destroyed by Wade like Foye did.

Stevenson choked on the FTs, missed on a couple perimeter shots that would have helped tremendously, and he wasn't effective as Miller. I also wanted to see Young in there when it was obvious Stevenson wasn't gonna get it done offensively.

I agree that if Flip is so down on YOung EG should go ahead and trade him.

Roll the dice maybe with something like James, Young, and Stevenson for Iverson, Jaric, and Haddadi.
Bye bye Beal.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#14 » by Jimmy Recard » Thu Nov 5, 2009 11:45 pm

Atleast Nick Young has some upside though, Deshawn doesn't. It's been a confidence issue with Young so far. The only way to develop young talent is to give them gaurenteed minutes and let them play through their mistakes, it'll be much better in the long run. When Nick is shooting well, he's a MUCH better defender, playmaker etc. If Flip can give him 15-20 guarenteed minutes in the rotation for the next 15 games, and he's still playing like garbage, then i'm all for trading him.

Anyway, my point wasn't necessarily about playing Young, it was about benching Stevenson. Even if they gave Dmac his minutes. He can't score, but hes a solid distributor and hits the boards. And he's got good size, athleticism and hustles on every play.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#15 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Nov 6, 2009 1:20 am

mosca that's exactly what im trying to say why pick up there player option if there not get no min's. Nick Young is better then yall give him credit for. if he doesn't get any min's how you expect him to get into any kind of rhythm?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#16 » by LyricalRico » Fri Nov 6, 2009 1:37 am

barelyawake wrote:Ball movement is a problem. Dom is a distributor. He also plays better d than Stevenson and he boards. We need to trade Stevenson and young, and play Dom more.

:clap:
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#17 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Nov 6, 2009 1:49 am

Ok, ok... so here's one for the piling on department: but I have no problem with how McGee is being used THIS year. My beef is still how he was used LAST year, when the games were meaningless.

A coach needs to be judicious in doling out minutes when your team needs to win... when your team doesn't need to win and arguably is in better shape if you lose, you play your promising rookies 36 minutes a game.

Had that happened, McGee might have gotten enough seasoning to be trusted with more minutes (and more importantly, some crunch time minutes) this year.

As for N1... the NBA is a cruel business and you can't be as stone cold bad as he has been in preseason and in the little time he's gotten in since the season's start and expect significant minutes. It is a long season. He'll get his opportunities. He'd better cash in.

Last night... DMAC would have been a better alternative. His off the ball defense is really good. At the very least, he could have made it hard for Wade to get touches on those occasions when DWade didn't bring the ball up the court or, gulp, passed the ball in the front court.
In Rizzo we trust
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#18 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Nov 6, 2009 4:40 am

For those who think Stevenson's defense against Wade was nothing special, I just re-watched the game on tape. Out of 40 total points, Wade scored 13 while Stevenson was guarding him. 27 of his points came against Foye and Miller. Say what you will about Stevenson, but he played pretty darn good defense on Wade. If Flip had played Young in place of Stevenson, I bet you Wade could have gotten 60.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#19 » by Kanyewest » Fri Nov 6, 2009 7:04 am

Young had his opportunity in preseason but he blew it. When his shot wasn't falling, he didn't do much else (although he has been better in year's past). Young will certainly get his chance to perform but I find it odd that people are saying Young never had his chance. He sucked horribly for most of the preseason. Stevenson beat him out fair and square. Of course, if Stevenson doesn't knock down open shots, it will open it up for other guys in the rotation.
VictorPage44
Senior

Post#20 » by VictorPage44 » Fri Nov 6, 2009 7:32 am

dandridge 10 wrote:For those who think Stevenson's defense against Wade was nothing special, I just re-watched the game on tape. Out of 40 total points, Wade scored 13 while Stevenson was guarding him. 27 of his points came against Foye and Miller. Say what you will about Stevenson, but he played pretty darn good defense on Wade. If Flip had played Young in place of Stevenson, I bet you Wade could have gotten 60.

sounds like 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. If stevenson has no effect on the defensive end, he shouldnt be playing. Play foye or play mcguire. but i agree that wade might have gone for 60 if young was put in instead.

Return to Washington Wizards