ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Thread - Wizards at Heat (11/10/09)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Official Thread - Wizards at Heat (11/10/09) 

Post#161 » by 80sballboy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:12 am

Look, I hardly ever post during the game and probably won't again. The team is just too frustrating, but we hate because we love. I love this team and oganization and have stuck by them through thick and thin. Flip probably didn't know what he was getting himself into.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#162 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:12 am

fishercob wrote:
closg00 wrote:Fans have a right to be angry and frustrated, let them get it out.

Wah. You guys whine more than Lebron. Take the skirts off, girls!

Tough shyt, don't like it? Then don't show up here after a bad loss.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#163 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:13 am

Blatche and Haywood had terrific first halfs.

The Wizards led 52-41, when turnovers in the third turned the tide of the game. Gil had 7 turnovers in the third, many unforced.

Depth was really a problem with Foye injured. Young was HORRIBLE in spot minutes.

Miami's guards turned up the heat (sorry for the pun) and the Wizards were outscored 49-27 in the second half. I bet 27 is the least amount of points in a half Washington has ever scored.

McGee got another DNP-CD, but I doubt the guards could have got him the ball.

Paul Davis on the roster doesn't seem to be logical with James and Foye hurt now.

A lot of guys don't fit flip's system: McGee, Young, and Butler for sure.
Bye bye Beal.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#164 » by Hoopalotta » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:13 am

Man, the offense is just kerplunkt. If we take out the points off turnovers, My-Hammy was shooting not much over .40%, but even then, we would have likely been neck in neck with them in an uh-gly game.

Who'd of thought the 'D' would be ahead of the 'O'?

Tough loss, I mean, we're as out of sync as any Bullets-Wizards team I can remember seeing. I suppose the only optimistic thing to say is that if we can keep opponents FG%'s down like this and somehow get into a rhythm scoring and, well, dribbling the ball, we should eventually be OK-ish.

It would be pretty cruel if Foye was out for any period of time now though. Guard play could be ugly as illustrated in rather overly dramatic fashion tonight.

Ugh.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#165 » by P'Oed » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:14 am

Randy Foye: the newest edition to the Washington Injuires
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,347

Post#166 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:14 am

I thought it was a damn solid effort. What did you expect? This team has 4 players who would crack the top 8 rotation on any decent NBA team. Oberto and Stevenson are situational-sub 10th men on decent teams. Nobody else on the team would even play on a decent team

We put our only 4 competent NBA players on the court at the start of the game and they played as well as they could for as long as they could. We played well (other than Arenas' turnovers) until fatigue set in. The D was excellent through 3 quarters. Stevenson contained Wade fairly well. Haywood and Blatche were beasting. Blatche was moving the ball. There wasn't much to complain about through 3 quarters.

Don't forget that Arenas really has never regained his former conditioning. He's not the same guy who could log 40 minutes every night. He gets winded now. And Blatche was never a guy who could log huge minutes. He's best if he can play 30-32 minutes. Haywood and Butler are the only guys who are in good enough condition to play 40 minutes. (And 40 minutes is a ton for ANY 7-footer)
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#167 » by fishercob » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:16 am

GilArenas88 wrote:Most of you guys expected this loss, but what is so heart breaking about this is we played excellent in the first half, then midway though the third to's, not running the offense, overall sloppiness just sunk us. Gil is to main blame for this loss, but he's not the only one. Good thing to see our defense played great, the Heats FG% will be inflated by our countless turnovers that got them at least 6-7 wide open layups. But the turnovers are killing this team, absolutely killing us. Also for stretches we look good on offense, but we go through these lulls, were we smply cant score, then it gets compounded by turnovers. This has been clear in both Miami losses, first game in the first, this game in the third, then in Cleveland in the second quarter. My guess is its a lot of growing pains. I'm still not close to panicing, but for the love of god, Crit, Jamison, Miller, James, and now Foye (Butler for a game as well).

Keep your heads up we'll be fine, good night, time to drink...

And why, pray tell, might we all think that the Wiz started playing like **** when they did? Did they stop trying? Were they throwing the game?

They were exhausted and it showed. All of Haywood's blocks were in the first half. Dray had just 4 pts in the second half. The defensive rotations become late. We just ran out of gas, guys.

That what happens when you have three main rotation guys, and all three backup point guards hurt.

The played with effort and energy for as long as they could and then it all fell apart. But they play was great in the first half. If they can break the injury curse, they'll be a good team.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#168 » by DallasShalDune » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:17 am

+1 sad, but true.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#169 » by Silvie Lysandra » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:18 am

I'm calmed down now, and I can step back and take my hand off the panic button, but the injury situation is just ridiculous at the moment, and we are literally down to 3-4 quality NBA players, as nate33 said.

We may be okay if we get healthy, and we can potentially get hot. But it is a huge letdown to think we were on the verge of being elite, and to suck like this.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#170 » by fishercob » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:19 am

closg00 wrote:
fishercob wrote:
closg00 wrote:Fans have a right to be angry and frustrated, let them get it out.

Wah. You guys whine more than Lebron. Take the skirts off, girls!

Tough shyt, don't like it? Then don't show up here after a bad loss.

Boo hoo. Do you need another tissue, widdle buddy?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,385

Post#171 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:21 am

I starting to worry about Gil, mentally he just isn't all there atm. I expect him to rediscover that swagger by the new year.

But physically, he just doesn't look like he has the ability to blow by defenders and finish at the rim anymore.

And he had, what, 11 turnovers in the second half?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,347

Post#172 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:22 am

I really liked Flip's rotation strategy tonight with Blatche starting. He recognized that his only hope was to play his top guys as much minutes as he could. If Foye didn't get hurt, it probably would have worked.

DMac looked good. Maybe he can become a regular part of our short-handed rotation.

If Foye is out for the next game, I wonder if Flip should start DMac at SF and Butler at SG. If he continues to start Stevenson, it leaves no guard off the bench other than Nick Young.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#173 » by miller31time » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:22 am

I think that we don't have to worry about our squad winning games when healthy. That will happen.

What we have to be seriously worried about is - will we ever be healthy?

It's so easy to say "Oh, after ____ comes back, we'll be fine". But then another player goes down. And when that guy gets back, another one bites the dust.

I'm honestly under the opinion that, with our medical staff, we will not be in a position to do any damage in this league. Unless it's ALL just one big coincidence.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#174 » by GilArenas88 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:22 am

Amen fishercob, you made me feel better about what happened. Were just going to have to roll with the early punches this season. Again it compounded by the fact that we have a nightmare early schedule, who would have thunk Detroit would look like one of the easier wins.
closg00
RealGM

Post#175 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:22 am

Blatche & Haywood played nearly 40 ea, you can't tell me that McGee couldn't played 10 minutes between Blatche and Haywood, thus saving them from gassing-out.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#176 » by Benjammin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 am

fishercob wrote:I'd just like to say that that hating in the chat is pathetic. Some of you act like complete losers, and when the Wiz play well you're all "yeah, we had this all along."

Fine. Aren't I afforded the same right to speak my mind viscerally?[/quote]

I believe you have. The Wiz gave a good effort. It was a moral victory, if you will. That's what the Wizards have been about the last few years. Again, it can be annoying to hear some of us whine and moan, but that doesn't mean we are complete losers. I do agree though that one note played over and over gets old in a hurry. Pax vobiscum.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#177 » by DaRealHibachi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:24 am

Mosca wrote:I starting to worry about Gil, mentally he just isn't all there atm. I expect him to rediscover that swagger by the new year.

But physically, he just doesn't look like he has the ability to blow by defenders and finish at the rim anymore.

And he had, what, 11 turnovers in the second half?

Gil's problems aren't physical... He can still explode to the rim at will (him gettin calls is another thing)...

Mentally he just isn't there yet...
:beer: Magnumt
RealGM

Post#178 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:24 am

This score just shows the fatigue of a shorthanded team.

The Wizards need to add a FA PG to the roster.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM

Post#179 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:26 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:This score just shows the fatigue of a shorthanded team.

The Wizards need to add a FA PG to the roster.

Yep, I expect Davis to be cut yesterday. Would AD sign a 10-day? :D
RealGM

Post#180 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:26 am

Benjammin wrote:
fishercob wrote:I'd just like to say that that hating in the chat is pathetic. Some of you act like complete losers, and when the Wiz play well you're all "yeah, we had this all along."

Fine. Aren't I afforded the same right to speak my mind viscerally?

I believe you have. The Wiz gave a good effort. It was a moral victory, if you will. That's what the Wizards have been about the last few years. Again, it can be annoying to hear some of us whine and moan, but that doesn't mean we are complete losers. I do agree though that one note played over and over gets old in a hurry. Pax vobiscum.[/quote]

I saw the bigs dominating early.

The problem was depth and turnovers/fatigue from the smalls.

Couple bad calls made the loss more bitter as did the margin of defeat.

The team just ran out of players at the end.

Nick Young's no longer a factor on this team. DeShawn, even playing hard was -25. This team needs SGs and a backup PG.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards