ImageImageImageImageImage

6 Quick Thoughts

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

6 Quick Thoughts 

Post#1 » by dlts20 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:09 am

1- This was the 1st time all year where I thought we looked like an EJ team on Defense, espicaly regarding that pick & roll. We never figured out how to stop Bynum from getting in the lane but alot of it maybe due to Boykins being new and not really knowing our defensive system.

2- Earl was great but the 1 thing that he did bad was forget about Gil in the 2nd half. I knew Gil would become hot after that 3 at the end of the half. Then Gil comes out in the 2nd half with 2 more quick 3's and Flip subsituted Miller for Boykins. I still dont know why he did that so early after Miller himself just hit 1 or 2 threes and he didnt pick up a foul. Earl then came in and played great but Gil really never touched the ball again until the very end of the game. Ive never seen that happened. Everytime we came down court, Gil would be on one side and our O would go to the opposite side. I thought that was bad because Gil may have been ready to go off. We still just have to find our groove with all the new guys.

3- DS took NY's spot but I hope to GOD that Flip just let Boykins take DS's spot. DS has been horrible. He's only playing for D because everything else has been horrible but the thing is that his D stil isnt that great. I just love the thought of us starting the big 3 with MM & Wood and then coming off the bench with Boykins, Foye, Blatche, and Oberto. Thats a great 9 man rotation. It also allows Foye to move back to his normal spot at the 2. I think that keeps us explosive on each unit.

4- I really like Flip but I am starting to get really worried about what the Pistons fans told me all offseason. They said that you would win alot of games in the regular season but you have no chance to win in the Post Season because the system is designed for all jump shots and thats why they always get eliminated. They said that its even magnified in the playoffs because youre playing against the best defensive teams which means you shoot all J's and alot of them are now contested.

5- This one is the biggest and kind of plays off of #4. For the life of me I cant put my finger on it but the #1 problem by far I have with our team right now is the pick & roll or high screen on Offense. Its terrible and makes Gil just an ordinary player. I talked about this a hundred times in the Preseason and early this season. Is anyone paying attention to this? Gil is like the best player in the league with this or right up there with Wade and the other guys but Flip runs it seemingly different than every team in the league. Flip seems like he doesnt really design it for the ball handler to score or instantly drive. He moreso designs it for the guard to get trapped and then swing it. I hate that so much because thats always been our #1 play. Either the 4 or 5 sets the screen, Gil goes super hard & tight off there butt, and then he's one on one with the big in the middle of the lane. He's either going to score, draw the foul, or dish to an open shooter every time. Thats what Wade lives off and we use to do it all the time with EJ.

Flip doesnt do that. Half the time the big leaves before he even really sets the screen and the other half of the time, the guard never gets tight with the big. That means the D can shut it down so many ways. Half the time the PG can get easily back in front of Gil. The other half the trap Gil and make him go way wide. Gil never gets to attack it down the pipe anymore. He always just ends up a few fight to the side still one on one with the PG or he's forced 20 feet sideways. I hate it. Because of that Gil hardly ever gets in the lane anymore and when he does, its always something forced so it never works. It will no doubt be better with AJ back and we have that elite scorer and a big who can space the floor so they cant trap as easily but still.

6-Im also glad to see Gil go back to Agent 0. Thats one big worry I had coming into the year. I definatly wanted him to be more serious like Lebron, Wade, Kobe and others but I didnt want him to be so serious that he's wound up all the time and doesnt celebrate anymore. I always think about Sean Taylor. I think it was his 3rd year. He was a beast the first 2 years and I remember thinking how the 3rd year is when you really see guys take the jump and he's going to be a monster. Well our whole D sucked that year and one thing that always stood out to me was that he was acting totally different. Just like Gil, I loved the fact that he was maturing, watching film now, and taking the game way more serious but then there's a point where you draw the line. He always celebrated after big hits and get excited. That year he would just always not do anything and have a regular look on his face after a big play and walk back to the huddle. I honestly think it hurt his play. The next year he again celebrated after great plays and was jumping up & down and started to dominate again.

Thats why I like Gil going back to Hibachi. You can still keep all the scouting things and not being friendly with guys on the court because that helps but you also have to be yourself and if you have an outgoing personality then you shouldnt lose that
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: 5 Quick Thoughts 

Post#2 » by fishercob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:19 am

Are you special or something? Why can't you post your game thoughts in the game thread like everyone else? IBTMFL.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: 6 Quick Thoughts 

Post#3 » by miller31time » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:20 am

Repost in gamethread, please.

-miller

Return to Washington Wizards