ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Brendan Haywood Sells DC Area House

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

OT: Brendan Haywood Sells DC Area House 

Post#1 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 am

I came across this in the current Washingtonian mag. Brendan sold his house in Virginia and the report did not mention him purchasing another house in the area. I found the timing curious given he is in his final year. The last time I read a similar report, it was Christian Laetner selling right before he left town. Brendan is notoriously cheap so he has all of ducks in-a-row for a quick departure. Very interesting.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,332

Re: OT: Brendan Haywood Sells DC Area House 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:36 am

NOOOOOOOO! :curse:
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#3 » by JWizmentality » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:52 am

Start packing on those pounds JaVale!
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#4 » by bulletproof_32 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:07 am

Word on the street is that DeShawn has volunteered to be the bricklayer for Wood's new house.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#5 » by mohammed10 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:17 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:Word on the street is that DeShawn has volunteered to be the bricklayer for Wood's new house.

:rofl:

:bowdown:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
closg00
RealGM

Post#6 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:24 am

JWizmentality wrote:Start packing on those pounds JaVale!

Like maybe 50lbs :(
closg00
RealGM

Post#7 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:29 am

After seeing tonights game, it's no-wonder Brendan has sold his house.
newslowsad
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#8 » by newslowsad » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:47 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:Word on the street is that DeShawn has volunteered to be the bricklayer for Wood's new house.

omg :lol:
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Zerocious » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:55 pm

he's gonna have to start in the basement
closg00
RealGM

Post#10 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Wood is so outta here at the end of this season, he's had enough of Gilbert.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:03 pm

closg00 wrote:Wood is so outta here at the end of this season, he's had enough of Gilbert.

Haywood is 30 years old. This will be his last big contract. He won't be thinking about going to the best situation because he won't have the time to showcase his production in that new situation and get another contract later on in his career.

I think Haywood will go to the highest bidder. He'll even stay here if we offer the most money.

The only way he might go to a lower bidder is if he really thinks that other bidder has a legitimate shot at the title with him starting at center. He might take a slightly lower offer to play in Dallas or Miami, for example.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#12 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:40 pm

closg00 wrote:Wood is so outta here at the end of this season, he's had enough of Gilbert.

I agree and I can't blame him. Woods wasting his prime years here while he could be helping a contender. Could you imagine him on a team like the Spurs? He would fit right in.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:41 pm

nate33 wrote:

Haywood is 30 years old. This will be his last big contract. He won't be thinking about going to the best situation because he won't have the time to showcase his production in that new situation and get another contract later on in his career.

I think Haywood will go to the highest bidder. He'll even stay here if we offer the most money.

The only way he might go to a lower bidder is if he really thinks that other bidder has a legitimate shot at the title with him starting at center. He might take a slightly lower offer to play in Dallas or Miami, for example.

Yeah but there's always a chance does a Dampier and gets signed-and-traded for a ridiculous amount of money to a team desperate for a big. Of course the Wizards would have to agree but it still could happen.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:16 pm

I don't see sign-and-trade as an option. The Wizards won't agree to take on the equivalent of Haywood's new salary in return. With our present cap situation, we're not going to shell out $8M+ for a PG, SG, SF or PF. Which leaves a center, and why would another team trade a center just to acquire a center? (Unless their original center sucks, which means we wouldn't do the deal.)
closg00
RealGM

Post#15 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Wood is the most-attractive FA Center available next year IMO, he's put-in 6(?) years here and he's seen enough. I wouldn't be surpised if he signs a deal quickly with a team that has perhaps whispered in his agents ear.

Here is a list of top FA Center available next year (Wood was omitted :evil: )

Centers
Yao Ming (ETO - owed 17.7 million in 10/11): Unfortunately for both Yao and the Rockets, Yao's '09-'10 season, and possibly even his career, are in jeopardy due to a serious foot injury. It is now safe to assume Yao does not opt out.

Memo Okur (Unrestricted): Centers that can shoot the three and stretch out defenses are always in high demand.

Marcus Camby (Unrestricted): The former Defensive Player of the Year will supply copious amounts of blocks and boards.

Tyson Chandler (ETO - owed $12.8 million in 10/11): Another big man battling nagging injuries, Chandler is still being shopped by the Hornets. Depending on his health, he may or may not choose to exercise his option.

Jermaine O'Neal (Unrestricted): In and out of the lineup the last few seasons due to various injures (do we see a pattern developing here among the big men?), but put up respectable numbers when he was able to stay on the floor.

Shaq O'Neal (Unrestricted): The Big Witness claims his goal is to 'Get the King a Ring.' We will all find how just how much gas he has left in the tank.

Brad Miller (Unrestricted): A reliable, versatile pivot – he played well for the Bulls after being traded to Chicago last season.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Unrestricted): Although clearly on the down slope of his career, Big Z remains one of the best perimeter-shooting big men in the NBA.

Looking at that list Wood is looking really good to me if I am a GM looking for a C.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Pryzbilla will opt out. Dampier's team option will be exercised so he'll be on the market too. Chandler won't opt out because there's no way he'll make more than $12M in free agency. Ming won't opt out either.

If I were to rank the center propects based on their likely contribution over the next 3-4 years, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Haywood
2. Pryzbilla
3. Okur
4. J.O'Neal

5. Shaq
6. Camby
7. Miller
8. Dampier
9. Ilgauskas

The first group is young enough to play with reasonable effectiveness for a good 3-4 years or more. The second group is washed up and will only be looked at by teams with a short-term window.

That said, none of these guys are stars. In this age of fiscal conservatism, it's pretty hard to see any of them being offered anything more than $8M a year or so.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#17 » by verbal8 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:37 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't see sign-and-trade as an option. The Wizards won't agree to take on the equivalent of Haywood's new salary in return. With our present cap situation, we're not going to shell out $8M+ for a PG, SG, SF or PF. Which leaves a center, and why would another team trade a center just to acquire a center? (Unless their original center sucks, which means we wouldn't do the deal.)

He could be signed and traded for Dampier(and perhaps a pick). Then Dampier could be traded or cut(most or all of his contract is not guarranteed). Haywood could be signed for $10.4 million/a year and the numbers match.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#18 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 pm

verbal8 wrote:
nate33 wrote:I don't see sign-and-trade as an option. The Wizards won't agree to take on the equivalent of Haywood's new salary in return. With our present cap situation, we're not going to shell out $8M+ for a PG, SG, SF or PF. Which leaves a center, and why would another team trade a center just to acquire a center? (Unless their original center sucks, which means we wouldn't do the deal.)

He could be signed and traded for Dampier(and perhaps a pick). Then Dampier could be traded or cut(most or all of his contract is not guarranteed). Haywood could be signed for $10.4 million/a year and the numbers match.

See that's the type of creative thinking I'm talking about.

Also, there will be teams that sign a star and still have some cap space left but not enough to sign another high-priced player outright. We could set up a sign-and-trade with them where we only take back the difference between their available cap space and Haywood's first year salary, plus a pick. That way we don't take back a lot of salary but we still get value.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:18 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
verbal8 wrote:

See that's the type of creative thinking I'm talking about.

Also, there will be teams that sign a star and still have some cap space left but not enough to sign another high-priced player outright. We could set up a sign-and-trade with them where we only take back the difference between their available cap space and Haywood's first year salary, plus a pick. That way we don't take back a lot of salary but we still get value.

The way I see it, we are likely to be between $0M and $4M of luxtax threshold ignoring the cost to resign Haywood. Any Haywood sign-and-trade will result in us exceeding the luxtax by a good $4-8M. Even if we get a pick in the transaction, we will likely be paying $8-$16M to buy a mid to late round pick. I just don't see Abe doing that.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#20 » by verbal8 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:57 pm

nate33 wrote:The way I see it, we are likely to be between $0M and $4M of luxtax threshold ignoring the cost to resign Haywood. Any Haywood sign-and-trade will result in us exceeding the luxtax by a good $4-8M. Even if we get a pick in the transaction, we will likely be paying $8-$16M to buy a mid to late round pick. I just don't see Abe doing that.

If we are letting Haywood go, I think it is part of a rebuilding effort. So I don't think Miller sticks around. In that scenario, I also don't see Foye being kept for much more than his qualifying offer. That puts the salaries at about $58 million. That will probably be right around the cap, but not close to the luxury tax level.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/washington.htm

Return to Washington Wizards