Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Re: Gilbert Arenas goes off 

Post#61 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
partnerfusion wrote:Carlos Boozer, Ronnie Price, Kyle Korver

Both Boozer and Korver are expirings and Price is a small contract with a year remaining

If you are ready to move on this would free you from Arenas contract almost instantly in an upcoming season with lots of FA talent available.

Are you suggesting we trade Arenas for Boozer + Price + Korver? Why on Earth would Utah do that?

That's what I'm saying, but if Utah is crazy-enough to do it, where do we sign?
gowiz999
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#62 » by gowiz999 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Arenas on the Wiz. "For the most part, we all get a long. There are, what, 15 players on the team? 14 do."

Arenas on responsibility of healing rift. "Me and Antawn. That's our jobs. But if 15 don't want to go and it's only 14... just gotta play."

Um what about Caron? He's capt too. Arenas: "Come again?" Reporter: Caron's responsibility too?" Arenas: "Yeah."
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#63 » by keynote » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Michael Lee's twitter update:
Just for clarification, Gilbert Arenas & Brendan Haywood do not have a rift. Their comments were not directed at each other.

I dunno if I buy that entirely, frankly. Wood's comments can really only be construed to apply to Arenas and Butler, and Arenas's statements only make sense at all if they apply to Wood.

Clearly, they're both frustrated, and they may not have deep personal beef, but this after-the-fact tweet smells like damage control from both players, e.g. "Nah, we're good. Nothing to see here."
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#64 » by jimij » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Re Lee's twitter, it makes sense to me. Butler seems off in his own world this year. Plus in regards to ego's, let's not forget the guy who last year was openly campaigning to be on the all-star team b/c of his numbers even though the team flat out stunk. Butler has been playing selfishly for the last year and a half.

Also, one of my friends who works with the Wiz (and is in the locker room with them) said that Butler stormed off for a closed door meeting with the coaches after the Cavs game. Even after a win he was unhappy so I'm not sure what the hell is going on with the guy but he certainly isn't putting the team first IMO.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#65 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:17 pm

Mike Prada at BulletsForever wrote:•Nick Young is like a cat - he gets nine lives. After being inactive against San Antonio, he will start for Mike Miller against the 76ers tomorrow. Gilbert said: "Nick is coming out of the box."
•Mike Miller's MRI still hasn't come back yet. When he was asked about his status as he was walking by, he said "I'm playing tomorrow." Funny thing is, I would have believed it.
•I talked to the two Mikes about the Haywood-Arenas incident a bit. They made it clear that nobody called anyone out by name, and both made a point to say that it was a team-wide problem. They just wrote what they saw, which is their job. Haywood and Arenas, for the record, were shooting free throws and joking around together after practice. Not sure if they were feuding or not, but there's at least a possibility that they weren't.
•UPDATE: Michael Lee just tweeted this: "Just for clarification, Gilbert Arenas & Brendan Haywood do not have a rift. Their comments were not directed at each other."

Reading between the lines here, it certainly appears that the criticism is direct at Butler. Haywood accused someone of having too big of an ego. Presumably, it's someone who plays enough minutes to matter. It's pretty hard to say Mike Miller, Deshawn Stevenson or Oberto has too much of an ego. If Lee is right in that Haywood wasn't directing his comment at Arenas, that leaves only Butler and Blatche. (And it's pretty hard to accuse Blatche of an ego as well. He has been the third-best passer on the team after Areans and Miller.)

One other thing:
Mike Prada at BulletsForever at 2:40 PM wrote:•Nick Young is like a cat - he gets nine lives.

nate33 at 2:25PM on the EG Thread wrote:I'll agree that with Miller's injury, Nick looks like he'll get another opportunity. The kid has nine lives. A team this deep at SG keeps giving him another shot.

Pradamaster, WTF?
:wink:
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#66 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm

# I talked to the two Mikes about the Haywood-Arenas incident a bit. They made it clear that nobody called anyone out by name, and both made a point to say that it was a team-wide problem. They just wrote what they saw, which is their job. Haywood and Arenas, for the record, were shooting free throws and joking around together after practice. Not sure if they were feuding or not, but there's at least a possibility that they weren't.
# UPDATE: Michael Lee just tweeted this: "Just for clarification, Gilbert Arenas & Brendan Haywood do not have a rift. Their comments were not directed at each other."

It's gotta be Butler that everyone is talking about...which sucks because he is one of my favorite wizards (although he is quickly being taken over my MM).

He just needs to get with the program.
keynote
General Manager

Post#67 » by keynote » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Well, Wood's comments could - and likely do - apply to Butler, but Arenas' comments clearly don't, seeing as Butler's not a FA.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#68 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm

NYoung should get a chance, all we heard about all summer league was how well he was playing catch and shoot. They built him up, just to rip him down and now he doesnt even play.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,310

Post#69 » by insfo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:34 pm

gowiz999 wrote:
Arenas on the Wiz. "For the most part, we all get a long. There are, what, 15 players on the team? 14 do."

Arenas on responsibility of healing rift. "Me and Antawn. That's our jobs. But if 15 don't want to go and it's only 14... just gotta play."

Um what about Caron? He's capt too. Arenas: "Come again?" Reporter: Caron's responsibility too?" Arenas: "Yeah."

I did not get this. What is Gil trying to say?

"For the most part, we all get a long. There are, what, 15 players on the team? 14 do." - is he saying there is 1 person who does not get along with the other 14?

I guess I'm missing the obvious here, but I don't get any of the 15/14 references.
gowiz999
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#70 » by gowiz999 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:37 pm

it's CB. he's calling out Butler for shooting like crap this year and not passing (assists way down).
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#71 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Well, the plot thickens....and twists...and stirs.....and....

I don't know, it sounds like things are pretty bad with Gil and Butler considering the recent quotes in the post. Wood and Gil OK? Hmmmm.....

I can see how Haywood would be a bit ticked with Gil and might well have sniped him a bit, but fundamentally, it would seem rather hard to see Gil and Wood as players that don't fit together. I mean, they hardly have any overlap in their areas of specialization; they're hardly two dogs fighting for a lone pork chop. How often in the NBA do defensive centers and scoring guards come into irreconcilable conflict?

So Butler's wearing the black cape and twiddling his handle bar mustache, cackling into the night as his nefarious scheme unfolds? It's hard to keep up.

But now Butler's hurt? Ouch, right when it looks like we might need to work a trade? Yow'za, hows that for timing?

It's kind of hard to work a coherent strategy for what the team should do at this very instant. Let things play out for a bit. It should be interesting to see what happens without Butler for a few games. That should tell us a lot. I suppose it's time for observation over judgment.

I will say I am encouraged to hear that Gil and Haywood are not actually at each others throats (sure it sounds like a bit of a cover up, but see above). Even if we blow the thing up, I could see keeping Wood and Arenas to anchor the rebuilding.

Pretty fun that Nick's getting another chance too. Why not, right? Nothing to lose, lots to gain. He's had good practices? As excellent as it is shocking. It's sort of like how after a stock market crash, my Dad always says "what we need now is another bubble"

Javale was wagging his towel something fierce in San-An too (I was unable to see him play as my feed got too laggy - NBA feed too!). We haven't lost him either. Somebody described him earlier this summer as "the ultimate developmental safety net is everything goes to hell" from a franchise standpoint. Sage words.

Ok, I suppose not much of this has anything to do with Gil going off....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#72 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:But now Butler's hurt? Ouch, right when it looks like we might need to work a trade? Yow'za, hows that for timing?

Conspiracy theory alert!

Is it possible that Butler's "injury" was just a face-saving gesture to preserve his trade value. Sit him out for a couple of days due to a "mild ankle strain" and we don't have to explain how Nick freakin' Young took his starting slot.

Remember that Butler went and had a closed doors meeting with management immediately after the Cleveland game. Could a trade already be in the works?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 pm

nate33 wrote:
Hoopalotta wrote:But now Butler's hurt? Ouch, right when it looks like we might need to work a trade? Yow'za, hows that for timing?

Conspiracy theory alert!

Is it possible that Butler's "injury" was just a face-saving gesture to preserve his trade value. Sit him out for a couple of days due to a "mild ankle strain" and we don't have to explain how Nick freakin' Young took his starting slot.

Remember that Butler went and had a closed doors meeting with management immediately after the Cleveland game. Could a trade already be in the works?

Hmmmm, you might have been a droop eared bloodhound trailing convicts in the Mississippi mud in a past life.

That does make sense. My idea was that we wouldn't say "Butler's hurt and needs an MRI" if we're planning to trade him, but the spin you put on it makes strong scent's. I mean 'sense'.

Cut to conversation between Ernie and a mysterious gentleman looking not unlike the portrayal of Deep Throat in the Hoffman/Redford "All the Presidents men" flick

Ernie: No, no, Butler's just got a bunk ankle and wasn't getting any push, the tests came back negative for anything serious. He's at a career clip for boards and is D'ing up better than ever.
GM-X: Well, I don't know. I'm not comfortable with the Nick Young throw in, I mean, what's wrong with that guy?
Ernie: Abra-cadabra!

*Next Day*

Flip: Nick Young's really had very good practices....

*Directly after Nick Young's 22 point game*

Ernie: Well?
GM-X: :burger:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#74 » by Kanyewest » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm sorry but I'm not sure why players should collect $100 from Gil after they lose. It may be insignificant amount of cash but really?
ErikChowbay023
Junior

Post#75 » by ErikChowbay023 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:55 pm

I really don't think a trade is in the works... I just think...that this is a very frustrated team, they are frustrated because they are not winning...Some players needed to get some things off their chest...
Maybe they went about it the wrong way...but it happened, they said it, and its over...Clearly they were talking about Caron...Ivan Carter also said they were talking about Caron...

Now...for all of these guys giving Arenas slack...dont...He has changed his game on both sides of the floor...He passes up a lot more shots...Plenty of times in the OKC and SA games he was passing the ball especially to Caron, and Caron was getting his shots...Gilbert also plays a lot more defense...

For others saying he now just a jump shooter...Its clearly not the case...Gilbert even in the last two games..where he is more aggressive which is better than him forcing a pass and turning the ball over , is still caught in two minds, he doesn't know whether to pass or attack.. But when he decides to go to the basket...he gets there at will , at will.... And the Jump Shots he takes, I also think, he`s thinking about those to. Like Im shooting, and Im missing, there gonna think Im selfish and gunning...But you cant play like that you just have to shoot it and not think about it anymore...

Right now theres a clash in Ego`o clearly... Gilbert`s been out for a couple years, In those couple years Caron played, and carried us, especially a couple years ago, and he played well...Caron was the focal point and now that Gilbert`s back theres friction as to who is in what role, and Caron is almost fighting the system.. So its like Gilberts thinking too much, Caron is not thinking at all, but you cant blame him, he`s human as well as Gilbert....

There both very good players, and because there positions and roles are closer than Jamison`s they will have more of a clash..Give it time...Give this team time...They are too good, not to be able to play well...
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#76 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:07 pm

nate33 wrote:

Conspiracy theory alert!

Yeah baby! Ernie's already at work!

:rockon:
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#77 » by rockymac52 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:35 am

now if only the suns weren't doing so damn well this season... then we'd really be able to jump back on that amare to DC rumor now that everybody seems ready to throw caron away. too bad, that would have been fun :)
keynote
General Manager

Post#78 » by keynote » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:03 am

Nice to see Eddie Jordan offering his two cents:
Jordan said that he believed the Wizards have the talent to be a "formidable team." But when asked about Arenas's recent comments about the team, he said, "It doesn't surprise me. Gilbert's very outspoken. Some of it's for entertainment; some of it is coming from his heart. He's capable of leading them in scoring; he's capable of leading them in being a presence that is very competitive, and that can be contagious. I don't know if he can be a leader. I just don't know that. I'm not saying he can't. I just don't know if he can be.''

If anything, this substantiates Gil's earlier comments regarding Jordan's lack of faith in his leadership abilities. Of course, Gilbert ain't exactly proving Eddie wrong, so far.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#79 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:12 am

Gil and Caron talked...at least thats a start.

"I really don't have a problem with anybody on the team. When we're together behind closed doors, we're all laughing and joking," Butler said. "I try to be professional on and off court and do the right thing. And the right thing is to continue to chip away at it, play hard and continue to try to get better. That's all you can do right now. We're all struggling. We're losing together. It's not Caron lost tonight; or Antawn lost this night; or Gilbert lost this night. It's the Washington Wizards. Collectively, we got to find a way to win games."

Butler called Arenas shortly thereafter to discuss what has been said and what is occurring on the court, where the two have been unable to gel since Arenas returned from missing most of the past two seasons after three surgeries on his left knee.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#80 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:55 am

DCZards wrote:
C'mon Closg00, you should know better than to use a few "comments" from fans on a discussion board to make your case. You should know by now I give little or no credibilty to disgruntled fans who post on these boards---most of whom think they are smarter and know more about b'ball than their favorite team's gm, head coach and players.

Honestly, I can't say I've been a player or I've had their job. But then again they might not have my IQ or education, either. The coaches and GMs are men who put their pants on the same way I put mine on. I don't know what they care to know about organizational development or group dynamics or anything of the sort.

My view of what I know is that from a distance I can see things and many here can see things that seem to escape ownership, management, and coaches alike, at times. When you say I/we think we know more, I'll confess to feeling that way a great bit of the time.

I wish I were privy to the information and contstraining factors behind the scenes, then I'd know better. For instance, in resigning an injured Gil how much pressure came from merchandising and marketing and ticket sale projections the ownership might have felt that were tied to Arenas being resigned? I have no idea what Grunfeld had to deal with. To me, it was a flat out bad basketball decisions to throw six years at a PG coming off knee surgery who'd already been down about a year and who wasn't right yet. I thought it was ludicrous from my perspective, but have no idea what Grunfeld knows.

Likewise, I can second guess Flip's rotations all day long but I don't know which guys are late or dogging it at practice. I don't know about random drug tests and such. If I did, I might understand more about his rotation prefernces.

So, DCZards, I'm guilty as charged. I also know there's several here I'd consider even more discerning than myself about certain things to do with the Wizards. I feel there are at least 5 folks who post here that IMO would be better GMs than Grunfeld. At least.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards