Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: Official Game thread. Wiz vs Heat || Fri 27 @ 7pm 

Post#101 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:59 am

MJG wrote:
gowiz999 wrote:Earl Boykins playing down the stretch over Arenas

As it should be, at least tonight. Arenas has been borderline invisible, while Boykins has been playing great. I'm actually glad to see it - it'd be a shame to bring Arenas back in just because he "should" be in.

:nod: Glad that Flip is smart-enough to realize that what this team needs and has needed for quite some time, is a true Point Guard to run the offense, get Blatche and McGee more playing time while limiting Orberto's.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#102 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am

dobrojim wrote:+1 Donk

no need to hate on Gil or Caron

we won

I don't care who plays as long as the people playing win.

We are gonna need gil and c@aron, so don't turn your backs yet
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#103 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am

GilShammGil wrote:
gowiz999 wrote:
RolloTommasi wrote:What happened to Arenas ???

benched for Boykins or injured ???

benched. Boykins is everything that Gilbert isn't. Plays good, smart basketball and knows how to distribute the ball.

Well, lets not get carried away with the Gil hate... he actually had an efficient game tonight: 4-7 with 5 assists and only 2 turnovers. Its true that Gil didn't play very good D on Chalmers, but overall he wasn't really that bad. He just wasn't that assertive.

But still its great to have another option at the point for a game when Gil is not killing. Its also nice to have a coach flexible enough (and secure enough) to sit Gil when the game situation calls for it.

Welcome, it doesn't matter if he wasn't really that bad--he's held to a higher standard than most. He's our 100million dollar man. He needs to drop the purse and start ballin, he needs to attack. Nine points and 5 assists on 4-7 shooting is what Brevin Knight put up when he was in the league. That's what Kevin Ollie puts up and it's simply not acceptable for Arenas considering how much he's paid, how much the team depends on him, and how much he flaps his yapper. I'm affraid that Arenas is just hidding his lack of game by being 'passive'. Hopefully it's just rust, but the way I see it Arenas is just a shell of his former self and as such is a detriment to the team.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#104 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:I'm loving Flip's rotations this game, but I can't help thinking what took him so long. Isn't that what pre-season is for? Either way, you need to give Flip credit for trying something new whereas Tapscott and Eddie Jordan were too stubborn to change their strategies.

Better late than never! :D

At 5-9, now I'm happy with Flip's rotations. I was really upset in that stretch of games the Wizards lost by 10 plus with him not playing Javale or Nick, in favor of Stevenson and Oberto.

I'm so happy now with Boykins in to relieve Gil and with Flip being a coach who will adapt on the fly. He's playing Blatche, Javale, Haywood and has moved AJ to SF. I'm thoroughly impressed because we've had years where Jamison was etched in stone at PF for 40 minutes.

Tapscott and Jordan should have been told by Grunfeld to wise up, but that's history.

Better late than never, and I'm not mad at Flip. Sometimes it's hard to tell veterans/all stars to adapt. Shoot, Flip sat Gil the whole fourth! Flip will do what it takes to win and that's all I hope for.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#105 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:No more hating on arenas, we won the damn game and broke the curse.....geeesh, some of u just can't ever be happy.REE

Curse broken.

Ill get on tomorrows game thread later tonight or early tomorrow. I'm on my way out.

THREE in a row

The truth is what it is Donk, this team is benefiting greatly by having true PG running things and making better judgments with the ball. No hating.
RealGM

Post#106 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:03 am

Abe might have karma reversing power, too, now that his spirit lives on. That, or he paid his debt and the curse is off the franchise.

The curse is broken.

That was in jest, but I'm thinking things are due to change towards good luck.
Bye bye Beal.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#107 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:11 am

omegatronic3 wrote:
Lets see how Arenas reacts to sitting the 4th quarter

Arenas looked pretty jacked and positive on the bench late in the game during timeouts. In fact, at one point, he ran on to the court to single out Boy-boy-boykins. Seemed ok to me. Just hope his entourage doesn't get in his ear.
In Rizzo we trust
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#108 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:14 am

80sballboy wrote:I thought Foye did a pretty good job until he got injured. He's your prototype backup combo guard who can score and not do much else. Right now, it seems like he lacks the explosion due to the ankle injury, but we will need him as a scorer off the bench.

+1

He had something going early, but obviously something is off with him. I'm pulling for him.
RealGM

Post#109 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:17 am

dobrojim wrote:Great W

N1, my man. MMillions may have a hard time getting his starting
job back. N1 may not rebound like MM but he defends like a
demon.

Earl Boykins, what can you say. He turned the tide back
when MIA looked like they were going to break our
hearts, again.

Great bench play. Nice coaching. Great defense
as a team.

Oh, and Jamison did his usual thing.

Tomorrow should be interesting. CHA just beat CLE.

Tomorrow will be a great statement game, jim.

Gil should be fresh and rested. Andray, Nick, Earl, Javale, and, of course AJ should all be confident. Flip is on fire as a coach, having called on Nick and Javale and put down DeShawn and Fab. The biggest thing is now they aren't forcing things through Caron and Gil all game. They can win without either player.

So, against Charlotte the Wizards will meet a team with a lot of great swing players. Gerald Wallace, Boris Diaw, and Jackson. To me, the Wizards have an advantage inside. Chandler won't score much and Mohammed is not the most athletic.

Tomorrow would be a great time to see Gil play well and Nick play well, and for Caron and Antawn not to force things. Jamison won't dominate Charlotte, most likely.

We'll see, but I think the Wizards will win, if not convincingly.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#110 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:20 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
omegatronic3 wrote:
Lets see how Arenas reacts to sitting the 4th quarter

Arenas looked pretty jacked and positive on the bench late in the game during timeouts. In fact, at one point, he ran on to the court to single out Boy-boy-boykins. Seemed ok to me. Just hope his entourage doesn't get in his ear.

Getting Boykins was a great move. He and Earl had the same rapport back in GS. Egos won't be a problem.

Best of all, Gil has no time to contemplate tonight's 4th quarter benching. They play tomorrow night and he'll have a chance to redeem himself.
Bye bye Beal.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#111 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:21 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm so happy now with Boykins in to relieve Gil and with Flip being a coach who will adapt on the fly. He's playing Blatche, Javale, Haywood and has moved AJ to SF. I'm thoroughly impressed because we've had years where Jamison was etched in stone at PF for 40 minutes

Here, here, I love this too.

He's really flexible and unpredictable. You just don't know what he's going to fix for dinner, but it well might be sweet and spicy. Might even be Flambe.

Even if on occasion you might wonder about a certain combo, I give Flip a lot of credit for trying things.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#112 » by Ji » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:26 am

we basically traded Brandon Jennings for randy Foye and Mike Miller. Jennings was my first choice based on where we were picking with the exception of Rubio.

What a disaster draft day..
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#113 » by Ji » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:28 am

the fact that Gilbert was 0-19 against wade tells me that Gilbert isnt even close to being a franchise player and is probably the most overpaid athlete in pro sports right now.

Another Ernie Oops--to me Ernie is as bad as vinny cerato right now
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by Zerocious » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:39 am

Ji wrote:we basically traded Brandon Jennings for randy Foye and Mike Miller. Jennings was my first choice based on where we were picking with the exception of Rubio.

What a disaster draft day..

Ji wrote:the fact that Gilbert was 0-19 against wade tells me that Gilbert isnt even close to being a franchise player and is probably the most overpaid athlete in pro sports right now.

Another Ernie Oops--to me Ernie is as bad as vinny cerato right now

dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#115 » by dandridge 10 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:44 am

LyricalRico wrote:First Blatche started proving me wrong and now Nick Young. Keep it up guys!

:clap:

Agreed. If they keep on playing like they did tonight, I'll be happy to eat my words about Blatche and Young. Regarding Gil, I actually thought he played decent while he was in. He was moving the ball and not forcing things for the most part. Glad Flip rested him in the 4th.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#116 » by DallasShalDune » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:47 am

Zerocious wrote:

+1. The negativity is unwarranted after breaking Gils 0-19 streak against DWade. No, we aren't a good team yet, but hell, we just beat a better team on their own floor. Yeah, Gil may be overpaid and not a superstar, but we beat Wade tonight. He lost. We won.

That's enough to keep me positive. Beating both LeBron and DWade in a 2 week period. Oh yeah, and we beat EJ.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#117 » by Zerocious » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:47 am

dandridge 10 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:First Blatche started proving me wrong and now Nick Young. Keep it up guys!

:clap:

Agreed. If they keep on playing like they did tonight, I'll be happy to eat my words about Blatche and Young. Regarding Gil, I actually thought he played decent while he was in. He was moving the ball and not forcing things for the most part. Glad Flip rested him in the 4th.

i dont know. gil just looks weird out there. he used to be the number one in FT attempts. now it seems he doesn't even get into the paint. and his shot, WTF. i don't get it. it start to seem to me we are capable of winning without him. that makes a very expensive expendable.....
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#118 » by dandridge 10 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:54 am

Gil was 4-7 from the field, had 5 assists and only 2 turnovers. To me, he had a pretty efficient game. The Wizards played well when he was distributing the ball. At no time, did I feel like he had to take over. There have been other games where the criticism of Gil was warranted...this was not one of those games.
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#119 » by GoneShammGone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:54 am

no D in Hibachi wrote:Welcome, it doesn't matter if he wasn't really that bad--he's held to a higher standard than most. He's our 100million dollar man. He needs to drop the purse and start ballin, he needs to attack. Nine points and 5 assists on 4-7 shooting is what Brevin Knight put up when he was in the league. That's what Kevin Ollie puts up and it's simply not acceptable for Arenas considering how much he's paid, how much the team depends on him, and how much he flaps his yapper. I'm affraid that Arenas is just hidding his lack of game by being 'passive'. Hopefully it's just rust, but the way I see it Arenas is just a shell of his former self and as such is a detriment to the team.

noD---Remember, Gil had 9 and 5 in only 27 minutes. Over the course of his usual 40 minutes he would have been around 15 and 8 with good shooting %. Those are decent numbers out of your point guard. But still I get your point... the Gil we see now is not worth $100 million. I'll just point out that its only 14 games, and he has shown flashes of his old self. So I'm not gonna give up on Gil just yet. It'll be interesting to pick this topic back up around the end of January. In the meantime, WE STILL WON!!! WHOO-HOO!!!
RealGM

Post#120 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:11 am

dobrojim wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Beautifully played and beautifully coached game!

Boykins all fourth quarter. Wizards were up 1 in the third when Boykins came in. Flip rode him the whole fourth. Wizards outscored them 27-20 with Boykins playing well at both ends. He made shots. He was a playmaker. He rebounded. Best of all, he defended Chalmers exceptionally well. Miami had no flow at all in the fourth.

Flip played a big froncourt with Jamison at SF, Blatche at PF, and Haywood at C. That lineup dominated the boards and Miami got nothing inside.

Flip stayed with Nick in the fourth. Nick played a superb offensive and defensive game.

Washington beat Miami by 10 in Miami, with the Heat doing their best! They came to play in the second half, got to within 1, but got stonewalled once Flip got Gil out of there and Caron for a while.

This was my favorite game of the year!

While it's awesome to end the streak vs MIA, in MIA no less, beating CLE has still
got to be the best. This is way up there though

I respect your favorite game, jim, but I've seen the Wizards whip Cleveland before. They should have at least two or three more wins recently over the Cavs, not even counting the playoffs, if not for the referees.

I just like the way Flip coached today. Gil was 0-12 against Wade. Boykins came in and handled his business. Nick Young outplayed Wade. The first 10 or so games I thought Fli would lose with Stevenson, Oberto, Butler, and Arenas before he'd let others take over. This game was terrific IMO.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards