ImageImageImageImageImage

Player of the Game - Wizards at Heat (11/27)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Player of the Game

Antawn Jamison
17%
Nick Young
55%
Earl Boykins
26%
Gilbert Arenas
No votes
Caron Butler
No votes
Andray Blatche
No votes
Brendan Haywood
No votes
JaVale McGee
2%
Other (Write-In Candidate)
No votes

Total votes: 42

WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Player of the Game - Wizards at Heat (11/27) 

Post#1 » by WizStorm » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:50 am

Here are the Player of the Game nominees from tonight's game...

Antawn Jamison: 24 points (FG:11/20, 3P:2/4, FT:0/2), 13 rebounds,
1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover

Nick Young: 22 points (FG:10/23, 3P:0/3, FT:2/4), 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 turnovers

Earl Boykins: 10 points (FG:4/6, 3P:0/1, FT:2/2), 9 assists,
3 rebounds, 1 steal, 0 turnovers

Gilbert Arenas: 9 points (FG:4/7, 3P:0/2, FT:1/1), 5 assists,
2 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers

Caron Butler: 9 points (FG:4/9, 3P:0/1, FT:1/2), 7 rebounds, 1 assist,
2 steals, 3 turnovers

Andray Blatche: 8 points (FG:4/9, 3P:0/1), 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 turnover

Brendan Haywood: 6 points (FG:2/5, FT:2/4), 7 rebounds,
2 steals, 1 block, 2 turnovers

JaVale McGee: 2 points (FG:1/1), 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 blocks

Feel free to post your thoughts and argue the merits for your favorite candidate. Also be sure to post your thoughts on the 2nd and 3rd place guys, including role-players that stepped up and made a difference in the victory.

Player of the game from the Wizards victory over the Philadelphia 76ers (11/24) (link)..
Image Player of the Game - Antawn Jamison Image
_________Image
32 points (FG:13/23, 3P:1/4, FT:5/6), 14 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers
________________________2nd Place - Nick Young
_______________________3rd Place - JaVale McGee
dcballer
Sophomore
And1: 2

Re: Player of the Game - Wizards at Heat (11/27) 

Post#2 » by dcballer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:53 am

I lost hope in N1, but the past 2 games got my hopes for him back :D

N1 gets my vote!
Lets go Wiz!
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#3 » by yungal07 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:54 am

Yet again, I'm going to vote for Nick, because he played great on both ends. Jamison had the best numbers, but Nick's offense and defense really set the tone.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,335

Post#4 » by dobrojim » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:59 am

gotta go with Nick, on national TV, against one of the best 3 players
in the league, he outplayed his opp.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#5 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am

Hopefully Nick played DeShawn out of the lineup tonight. He get my vote simply for that reason alone.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#6 » by Halcyon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:04 am

Nick Young - made Wade chase him on offense, made some difficult shots, and played great defense on Wade
Boykins - I love this guy
Jamison - His usual production, just rock solid.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#7 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:08 am

Gotta be N1. His defense off the ball was great... he made Wade work for every touch and, because he had a strong offensive game, made Wade chase him.

Right after halftime, Spoelstra started posting Wade on the elbow to give him easier touches. He did get a couple of buckets from there... but, once you get a player like Wade having to play from uncomfortable and unusual spots on the the floor, it eventually throws a team off their rhythm.

Love what the Wiz did on D tonight. And that started with N1: Little Earl gets first runner up.
In Rizzo we trust
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:13 am

Nick Young - He was simply great all around. Clamped down on Wade with great defense against any kind of dribble drives in particular. One might look at the offense and say he was inefficient, but he needed to take a lot of shots for us and he really had the Heat back on their heels a bit on that end too. His passing was way better too (don't even tell me that that dish to Caron in the paint was a Nick TO, he should have had six assists and 2 TO's on that plays swing). Just a great effort and it is sustainable if he's able to bring it like that on the defensive end. I don't know why he wouldn't be able to. Dog house to the penthouse!

Jamison - As per usual, Jamison did lots of Jamison kinds of things. Basically, with offensive plays, the confidence goes up greatly when he's in some way involved. He's a rock.

Boykins - Trapping Boykins is like throwing Brer Rabbit into the brier patch. You can't trap Earl; he dips and doinks, drives and dishes with everyone else looking like they're on slow-mo. But he did all that with a great feel for the whole team concept and already has a good idea of where and how guys like the ball. Simply put, he boinked the hell out of My-Hammy tonight.

I'd like to give a lifetime achievement award to Blatche at this point. I mean, he just brings it every game now. He's not an 'X-factor' anymore. His shots might be falling or they might not be, but he comes to play every night.

Coaching staff did a great job with improving rotations and great effort all around on 'D'
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#9 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:13 am

Nick Young for reasons already stated. His 10/23 may not look all that efficient, but he missed a few shots after the game had already been decided. I would like to see him get to the line a little more though.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#10 » by Shanghai Kid » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:20 am

Nick Young has been a monster the last two games. If the season were to suddenly turn around based on these 2 games, I believe you would have to credit it to the emergence of NY1. If he can continue to score and play defense he's certainly way better than what most of us thought.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#11 » by JWizmentality » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:22 am

This was a tough one...

Boykins
Young
Twan
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#12 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:23 am

1. Ny1
2. Abe
3. DMcd
4. Aj

Sweeeet
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:32 am

1. Earl Boykins -- Earl took the game over when it was in doubt. Came in with the Wizards up 1 in the third and they won by 10. Boykins absolutely dominated the fourth. He passed, scored, defended and even rebounded when it counted. Nine assists and zero turnovers. Outscored Gil 10 to 9, and in playing the whole fourth, allowed Flip to send a message. Gil didn't play the greatest D in the third.

2. Nick Young--Best defense any Wizard has ever played on D Wade. Even started getting respect from the refs. Even saw Heat players helping him from falling. Young started out with 4 assist. Heck, he should be co-player of the game with Boykins.

3. Antawn Jamison. Since he's come back the team's been a hell of a lot better. 24 and 13 says you can take a selfish shot here and there. Very solid player.

Notes: This was the best-coached game IMO I've seen in a very long while. Flip was on fire. Also, by playing Young and McGee, now Ernie's draft abilities have a chance to really pan out.

Wiz have a chance to have GM, coach, and players all on the same page.

Winning very convincingly on the road at Miami made a huge statement. Little Earl and Nick led the way!
Bye bye Beal.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#14 » by DallasShalDune » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:55 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:1. Earl Boykins -- Earl took the game over when it was in doubt. Came in with the Wizards up 1 in the third and they won by 10. Boykins absolutely dominated the fourth. He passed, scored, defended and even rebounded when it counted. Nine assists and zero turnovers. Outscored Gil 10 to 9, and in playing the whole fourth, allowed Flip to send a message.

2. Nick Young--Best defense any Wizard has ever played on D Wade. Even started getting respect from the refs. Even saw Heat players helping him from falling. Young started out with 4 assist. Heck, he should be co-player of the game with Boykins.

3. Antawn Jamison. Since he's come back the team's been a hell of a lot better. 24 and 13 says you can take a selfish shot here and there. Very solid player.

Notes: This was the best-coached game IMO I've seen in a very long while. Flip was on fire. Also, by playing Young and McGee, now Ernie's draft abilities have a chance to really pan out.

Wiz have a chance to have GM, coach, and players all on the same page.

Winning very convincingly on the road at Miami made a huge statement. Little Earl and Nick led the way!

Great points, CCJ. I agree 100 percent with everything you just said, especially about the organization finally being on the same page.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#15 » by DallasShalDune » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:00 am

If the All-Star balloting was decided tomorrow, would AJ be an All-Star? Would he be our only All-Star?
Tiny Too
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#16 » by Tiny Too » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:16 am

Gotta agree with CCJ.

If Flip were a player, he should win hands down. Not only did he have the balls to sit Gilbert, he kept DeBrick on the bench for the entire game. If you recall the 2 previous Heat games, De Suck was used extensively (and futilely) as our designated stopper on Wade. NY's play on both ends has now rendered DeSuck as irrelevant. He also sat Caron a lot for Bulletproof and utilized the McGee/AB lineup. Also, Oberto sat the entire game. Great. He also let Wood/McGee guard O'Neal one-on-one. After JO's hot start, surely EFJ would have ordered double teaming the post, opening everything else up for Miami.

Can't say enuf about DNP-CD DeSuck, Oberto, and even sitting Gil (until he gets his legs back or he plays defense). I wonder if he will sit our offensive foul machine (Caron) that much more when facilitator MM returns in a month?? Why doesn't Caron ever pull up for a short jumper to avoid the charge??

Afterthoughts:

Philly needs a guard. Offer them DeSuck and James for two Pat's chessesteaks??
If Gil isn't going to try to penetrate and dish (his dribble handle is poor and he can't finish anyway right now), doesn't have the speed or whatever to push the ball upcourt, and is content to pass the ball on the perimeter, why play him...as his defense is still a known liability?? That said, I applaud his (apparent) willingness to cheer his teammates on from the bench in the 4th Qtr. (unlike Caron last game in street clothes).
I wouldn't mind more McGee and less Wood.
We somehow have to find more minutes for Foye. He is decent.
Mark my words: Jamison is still a ball stopper, even early in the shot clock. If he's open, it's going up. Fortunately, he has been relatively hot. But, inevitably, we will suffer when he turns cold. Note: one time tonight, even Wood threw the ball back out from the post!!!
I don't think Caron liked the fact that NY took so many shots in the flow of the half-court offense while he stood motionless on the weak side.

I have never seen a team miss so many foul shots by hitting the front of the rim. Where's Hopla to remind them to use their legs when they shoot??
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#17 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Tiny Too wrote: Also, Oberto sat the entire game. Great.

The youngin's did great last night and the team looked great even though Oberto didn't play at all. However, it doesn't mean Oberto is a bad player or doesn't deserve minutes. Oberto is a solid role player and hasn't done anything to deserve DNP-CD's game after game. DS on the other hand has. If DS never played another game this season it wouldn't be that bad. I don't feel the same way about Oberto as he can be extremely valuable in certain situations.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#18 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:34 pm

DallasShalDune wrote:If the All-Star balloting was decided tomorrow, would AJ be an All-Star? Would he be our only All-Star?

I'd say Jamison, barring a major cool off, is a definate. Possibly Arenas. BJennings is cooling off and before Decembers out his PPG scoring average will be around 16-17. I don't see Arenas dropping off much from his 21-22PPG average. Other than Arenas who else is out there as a worthy all-star PG in the East? Mo Williams, Rodney Stuckey, Derrick Rose? The other possibility at PG for the East is Rondo. Right now Arenas is 2nd in scoring among the East's PGs, 4th in assists, and 5th in rebounds. All the while he's played improved defense.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#19 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 pm

My vote is for Nick Young. He outplayed Wade on both sides of the floor. The runner up was Boykins. Its time that we sign him for the rest of the season
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#20 » by miller31time » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:09 pm

1. Nick Young - played really well on both ends of the floor (his defense on Wade was phenomenal)

2. Antawn Jamison - steady as they come and an automatic double-double

3. Earl Boykins - spark-plug extraordinaire / incredible ast/to ratio

HM: Blatche, if for no other reason than the behind the back dribble into traffic and the no look dish for the Haywood slam

Return to Washington Wizards