ImageImageImageImageImage

Arenas knee leading to worst FT%

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Arenas knee leading to worst FT% 

Post#1 » by Scabs304 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:23 pm

I've never felt like when Gilbert goes to the line it is iffy if he makes it, but right now I just am not confident when he is there that he will make it. What do you think? IS it the knee and just building the balance back to the less moving parts stroke or is it just rust? Is it just unlucky start to a season?
I am Scabs.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Re: Arenas knee leading to worst FT% 

Post#2 » by Ed Wood » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:37 pm

I'm reminded of stuff I've heard from people within the league about guys who are solid at the line in practice but can't get it done in games. Their reasoning generally is that the guy is fine if he can take a few warmups and get in a flow but that having to stop everything in the middle of a game and step up prevents them from developing a shooting rhythm and they end up 50% foul shooters. I think that's what's basically happening with Gil but over a longer period of time. Gil's played so many years of ball that he developed a comfort zone when going to the line and not having played in as long as he has he's basically lost his long term rhythm.

I expect he'll get things straightened out eventually, he's been a good foul shooter over the course of his career and if seventy year old men with no knees can hit a hundred free throws in a row I think Gil's okay even if he can't explode off of the charity stripe.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#3 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:07 pm

He is choking. That's all there is to it. It's all mental.

Hopefully he'll turn it around but it's hard to be sure. Arenas is definitely having psychological issues this season. He has lost much of his swagger and confidence.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#4 » by Scabs304 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:16 pm

There is no explosion to a free throw, but there is a balance. Since I hurt my strong leg(left) I have been shooting a set shot alot better since I have more balance with how I bend and use my legs to put force behind my shot.

Not disagreeing with either thought process because I believe Arenas not being Agent Zero is killing him on the court. Don't care how he acts with the media just bring yourself to the game.
I am Scabs.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#5 » by P'Oed » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:24 am

As Nate said above, I just get this feeling by looking at his facial expressions when he's missing these free throws that there's something going through his head. He couldn't possibly still be thinking about the Cavs playoff free throws, could he? I don't know...something's not right.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#6 » by miller31time » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:28 am

It's all in the eyes. He looks scared and frustrated. That isn't the mentality that's going to get it done at the line.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#7 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:29 am

miller31time wrote:It's all in the eyes. He looks scared and frustrated. That isn't the mentality that's going to get it done at the line.

Have you noticed that he almost always leaves it short? He's scared. No follow through.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#8 » by Scabs304 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:34 am

So unclutch tonight.... SIGH. I want my Agent back. Great trip dub, but if you can't sink the free throws at the end it is worthless.
I am Scabs.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#9 » by miller31time » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:35 am

nate33 wrote:
miller31time wrote:It's all in the eyes. He looks scared and frustrated. That isn't the mentality that's going to get it done at the line.

Have you noticed that he almost always leaves it short? He's scared. No follow through.

Yup. We had a poster (from another team, presumably) come to this board when we played Boston a few nights ago say just that.

And what's funny is that he over-adjusts. When he leaves it short, the 2nd free throw is usually too long (for reference, these last two tonight).
ShabangAdmin
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by ShabangAdmin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 am

When i see gilbert ima punch him in the eye...hell with an autograph.

we gotta get butler the ball for crunchtime freethrows, hell i'll take haywood over arenas shooting em right about now.
Pass_The_Sticks
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Pass_The_Sticks » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:44 am

Scabs304 wrote:I've never felt like when Gilbert goes to the line it is iffy if he makes it, but right now I just am not confident when he is there that he will make it. What do you think? IS it the knee and just building the balance back to the less moving parts stroke or is it just rust? Is it just unlucky start to a season?

His knee has nothing to do with missing FT's. **** even when I played street ball or AAU not feeling 100% I still was a good FT shooter. This whole team is pissing me off and some trades needs to be made.
Capitals.Orioles.Ravens.Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards