ImageImageImageImageImage

Can the WIZ CLIP this? GAME THREAD. Zerocious FTW!!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

bullitz
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: Can the WIZ CLIP this? GAME THREAD. Zerocious FTW!! 

Post#161 » by bullitz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 pm

jholmbe1 wrote:I didn't stay up for the end of the game (thankfully). However, I was wondering if anyone thought Gil might have fouled out on purpose in an effort to avoid choking in the clutch again. obviously I have no proof of this since i went to sleep at the half, but sadly given his immature past I can totally envision him doing this.

Don't know if this is a serious question or not but Gil fouled out because he had to help down on Kaman and try to disrupt him because he was destroying Haywood. He also picked up a foul trying to stop an easy layup after a Stevenson turnover (Stevenson was horrible). IMHO Gil had the best floor game last night. Clips made their runs with him on the bench. He was the best player on the floor yesterday, though his stats won't bear that out and despite his shot being off. He just made really good decisions. Clips made some tough shots (not trying to sound like EJ here). Really, during their runs they made ridiculous fade-aways, fall-aways-- it was surreal.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#162 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:01 pm

I definitely agree with Bullitz on Gil coming around. He's looking pretty balanced with his intentions and aggressiveness. He's getting into the lane too.
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#163 » by GoneShammGone » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I still say the answer is simply make Jamison the SF, Blatche the PF, and Haywood the C.

You know something funny? I was watching the game on league-pass (yeah, don't ask me why I pay to watch these freakin' games) and was listening to the Clips announcers call the game. Mike Smith apparently loves AJ and kept saying things like:

"AJ is an amazing story because he was a PF in college who learned the SF position in the pros."

and...

"See AJ just knows how to play that SF spot, which is amazing cause he was a power forward in college."

and...

"Al Thornton should model his game after AJ because he is a guy who came into the league as a PF but now plays SF really well..."

Mind you, this was when AJ was on the floor with BH, and Caron. It was weird. I was like, maybe you should have a talk with Flip about this...

:rofl:
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#164 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Come on guys, there were a lot of positives out there and lets not forget that three years ago - with this same core - we were in first place in the Eastern conference for a week or two. Lets be patient and give these guys about another year or two to gel.

*snicker, snort, face palm*

Well, the good news was that were a game closer to blowing this ugly mug up. Honestly, wins at this point are just going to encourage continuity from management. I'm still rooting for a win like a dullard with much of my psyche, but losses have some use too. I mean, how long can Ernie let this go on? The pot is boiling over.

Caron might have upped his trade value while also giving further evidence that he doesn't fit here. Jamison playing well makes him easier to move too (such is the reality of 7-15; I'm not blaming him)

Young's shot was sweet, even if it didn't go.

I think Gil's court game is coming together even if he's still plenty rough around the edges. I suppose I have lower standards for him this season than most, but I think he's made a lot of progress as far as being aggressive while not shooting as much. He actually had a positive +/-.

You know, I have mocked the optimists as well, but I'm sorry that I have. Some people just hold on to hope longer than others. I think it helps them cope in bad times like this. Its kind of depressing to think the Wizards basically have to start over again. Thinking that this thing could be turned around by simply changing the starting line-up, playing so-so player longer minutes, changing the coach, etc. just helps deflect from the reality, that this team is flawed and has been for the last 4-5 years.

But, your right, the silver lining in this devastating year is that hopefully management will finally realize that we need to switch directions. The faster that happens the faster we might be able to turn this around. I can take losing, as long as the players are playing hard and there is a game plan for building a contender. I can't take losing with inconsistent effort and with management's complacency towards being mediocre.

As for the game last night, I watched until halftime when the Wizards were up. I then decided to go to bed and DVR the rest because I was determined not to lose any sleep watching this team. I made a wise choice. I just laughed this morning when I saw the box score. I can't say that I don't care anymore, but I am certainly not surprised. I think I'm just going to DVR the rest of the games. I'll watch if they win, but ignore the losses. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my season tickets.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#165 » by hands11 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:44 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I hate to say this, but Kaman's better than Haywood.

Jamison getting posted up by Kaman at the end--that's the way Flip chooses to lose.

Gil's turnovers, Boykins at the end, Caron forced a few--you could say the Clips played better defense.

I feel that this group can't execute what Flip wants. Bad marriage of coach and players. They score on funky flips by Jamison. Heroic three by Butler. Nothing in the flow, just talent and one-on-one. These guys aren't what Flip wants, but he keeps calling their numbers.

One thing I did notice at the end was Davis led and Gilbert fouled out. (Wizards went on their run after Gil fouled out).

These guys are eerily similar to the Redskins. You KNOW they should have a better record. This coach is supposedly a lot better than Zorn, but I'm not seeing it in 7-15 and the control over players.

But I said I'm not upset. Kaman's better than Haywood. Camby hit his FTs with the game on the line. Eric Gordon made plays on defense and offense. Flip started Stevenson and ended with Young. Neither can play like Gordon.

And still, the game was winnable on the road.

Thats what Im saying. We have talent. Im not totally down on the who team like some but yes, CB is in the way like Portis is. They are good players, just not the right fit for the dollars they get and with the total players who have.

Time to turn the page for this team. Time to move on toward Blatche, MM, NY, McGee. AJ and Gil can be the two high priced stars and if we are lucky, Haywood will be the third. From that base you can tweak things. Flip will be able to coach this team without CB on it.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#166 » by keynote » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:33 am

GilShammGil wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I still say the answer is simply make Jamison the SF, Blatche the PF, and Haywood the C.

You know something funny? I was watching the game on league-pass (yeah, don't ask me why I pay to watch these freakin' games) and was listening to the Clips announcers call the game. Mike Smith apparently loves AJ and kept saying things like:

"AJ is an amazing story because he was a PF in college who learned the SF position in the pros."

and...

"See AJ just knows how to play that SF spot, which is amazing cause he was a power forward in college."

and...

"Al Thornton should model his game after AJ because he is a guy who came into the league as a PF but now plays SF really well..."

Mind you, this was when AJ was on the floor with BH, and Caron. It was weird. I was like, maybe you should have a talk with Flip about this...

:rofl:

Wasn't Jamison originally signed to play SF, anyway? If memory serves, this was back when we had Kwame at the 4 and Wood/Etan at the 5. At some point, Jamison became the starting 4, but I can't remember whether that was before or after the Butler/Kwame trade.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#167 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:27 am

^^

Yeah if i recall, Kwame went down early in the season. Jeffries moved into the lineup and Tawn moved to the 4. Jeffries would guard the better offensive forward.

Return to Washington Wizards