George Michael Passes Away

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

George Michael Passes Away 

Post#1 » by MJG » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:23 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/2009/12/24/1218 ... achine-NBC
Legendary sports ancher George Michael has passed away after battling cancer the last two years.

While Michael was a staple in the D.C. area, where he was an anchor for NBC Washington from 1980-2007, he was well known nationally for his syndicated highlight show "The George Michael Sports Machine." The show launched in 1984, and at the time was groundbreaking -- it brought local markets national sports highlights from all over the country, covering all sports (and pro wrestling). ESPN was already doing something similar with "SportsCenter," but that required cable. Anyone with a TV and rabbit ears could see "Sports Machine."
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Re: George Michael Passes Away 

Post#2 » by closg00 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Saddened to hear about this, I grew-up on George Michael sports coverage. George worked tirelessly on covering sports. RIP George.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Zerocious » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:54 pm

oh that george michael....RIP
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#4 » by MF23 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:20 pm

I didn't even know he was sick. He would show pro wrestling on his sportscast and it would always amuse me.

Sorry to hear that about him.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#5 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:06 pm

From way back in the day, my favorite local sportscasters included Warner Wolf, Glen Brenner, and George Micheal.

Micheal was the first I ever saw bring a volume of sports from around the world. His Sports Machine was exciting. I still rememember the theme music. I also remember George had a good rapport with Jim Vance. Micheal was cool and witty, while maintaining a seriousness about his dedication to bringing all kinds of sporting events. The man was really good at what he did, and he did it many years.

RIP
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#6 » by Dat2U » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:52 pm

i definitely grew up on the guy and the Sports Machine. RIP. Man I must be getting old. :-(
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#7 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:57 pm

like others, I grew up on him

ground breaking pioneer, true; but there were also
times I didn't like him that well. Pro-wrestling is a fraud and
shouldn't be treated as serious.

RIP GM.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#8 » by montestewart » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:57 pm

dobrojim wrote:like others, I grew up on him

ground breaking pioneer, true; but there were also
times I didn't like him that well. Pro-wrestling is a fraud and
shouldn't be treated as serious.

RIP GM.

Soap operas are a fraud too. Those people aren't really cheating on each other; they're actors. Wrestlers are actors that happen to add (varying degrees of) athletic ability to their spectacles. George Michael's Sports Machine chronicled this aspect of sports, the drama-filled spectacular moments that punctuate athletics, and he recognized that, even in its "fraud," pro-wrestling was scripting "competitive" sports to regularly arrive at these operatic moments. He had an eye for such moments.

I remember when George Michael was a DJ, and I liked him much more as a sportscaster and on Sports Machine. RIP.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:31 am

MF23 wrote:I didn't even know he was sick. He would show pro wrestling on his sportscast and it would always amuse me.

Sorry to hear that about him.

Yeah, way back in the day - usually from Japan. And he'd mix in the occasional rodeo competition.
Wow, this is tough to take. He was obviously so passionate about trying to entertain us. And after Glenn Brenner passed away, he was THE local sports tv guy - not to mention national - with his innovative Sports Machine. The chemistry he had with Sonny and Riggins and Wilbon/Kornheiser/Dupree on his weekly show was special - especially with Sonny - even with the Wiz and Skins rarely giving them positive things to discuss. RIP, George. God bless.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#10 » by fishercob » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:19 pm

GM also broke new ground in up-to-the-minute (hour?) sports news. Pre-internet, pre-sports talk radio, there was the Sports Machine Hotline. 202-362-4444. "For football news and scores, press one. For baseball news and scores, press two." I remember standing with my brother at a pay phone at school as he listened to the Lenny Bias news on a loop like seven times in a row.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
southnc
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#11 » by southnc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:47 am

OMG, this is so sad.

I also grew up with him and the GM Sports Machine; he made stars out of plenty of obscure (and now grateful) characters.

However, the most memorable moment for me was how he handled the untimely death of his good friend, Glenn Brenner. I'll never forget that choked-up (and heroic) talk he gave live on the local news. Sadly, the cursed cancer would eventually get him too.

RIP
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#12 » by mohammed10 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:03 am

Time to etch the final face for the Mount Rushmore of DC TV Sportscasting

Glenn Brenner
Warner Wolf
Frank Hertzog

and now...

George Michael

Goodbye, George. We will miss you...
:bowdown: :pray:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#13 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:31 am

fishercob wrote:GM also broke new ground in up-to-the-minute (hour?) sports news. Pre-internet, pre-sports talk radio, there was the Sports Machine Hotline. 202-362-4444. "For football news and scores, press one. For baseball news and scores, press two." I remember standing with my brother at a pay phone at school as he listened to the Lenny Bias news on a loop like seven times in a row.

OMG. I used to call that number almost every day as a kid to find out the lastest news & scores! I really forgot how ahead of his time GM was.

To me, GM was at his best with Full Court Press and the Redskins Report. That was must see TV for me. I remembered watching the final show for FCP and having an empty feeling inside knowing it was and end to a great run.

This really makes me feel old. I've watched George as long as I could remember.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#14 » by Benjammin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Dat2U wrote:
fishercob wrote:GM also broke new ground in up-to-the-minute (hour?) sports news. Pre-internet, pre-sports talk radio, there was the Sports Machine Hotline. 202-362-4444. "For football news and scores, press one. For baseball news and scores, press two." I remember standing with my brother at a pay phone at school as he listened to the Lenny Bias news on a loop like seven times in a row.

OMG. I used to call that number almost every day as a kid to find out the lastest news & scores! I really forgot how ahead of his time GM was.

To me, GM was at his best with Full Court Press and the Redskins Report. That was must see TV for me. I remembered watching the final show for FCP and having an empty feeling inside knowing it was and end to a great run.

This really makes me feel old. I've watched George as long as I could remember.

That telephone line did come in handy sometimes, I had forgotten about that. Local DC news was truly blessed to have such talented sports guys as Warner, Glenn, Frank, and George.
southnc
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#15 » by southnc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:06 pm

I remember calling the Sports Machine on a daily basis back in the 90s when I didn't have cable or internet.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:33 am

Thread title made me go "holy ****..." then I opened it and went "oh ok"
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#18 » by mohammed10 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:36 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:Thread title made me go "holy ****..." then I opened it and went "oh ok"

Nice...way to pad your thread count
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#19 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:33 am

Rip to a Legend
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#20 » by jmrosenth » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:47 pm

Count me in with those who were frequent callers to the sports line. I grew up on George Michael, Glenn Brenner, Frank Herzog, and Ken Beatrice as the voices/faces of DC broadcasting. I loved watching the Sports Machine when I was away at college - all my non-DC friends knew who George Michael (and his comb over) was. The first guy to have a nationally televised network sports news show, but I believe he was also the first guy to put journalists on TV. He gave guys like Tony K and Wilbon their start. Michael was also a client of my dad's - and my dad always spoke highly of him. RIP.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]

Return to Washington Wizards